Steven Adams 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2013, 12:18 Thread Starter
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Rookie of the Year 2014

Who do you guys think? Lots of faces and no clear cut favorites thanks to poor tournament showings, injuries, etc.

My pick is McCollum. The guy is project to be the best point guard in the draft. He's done well in college, he's a back up to an already up and coming NBA point guard star. The Trailblazers have cleaned up the garbage bench and have put some rather preferable players instaed.

McCollum could be that fire power 6th man like become the Jack Jarrett of the Trailblazers if he propels this team to the playoffs which I think is very possible. They needed a scoring punch/impact and they can get it out of this guy. He can even clock minutes at the 2 so starting won't be a major issue/worry as he'll clock significant time coming off the bench.

Oladipo and McLemore are playing for bad organizations and it remains to be seen whether these two shooters can take their teams to the playoffs.

Len and Zeller are playing for bad teams while Olynk is for a Boston team that may/might not make the playoffs.

This leaves McCollum a golden opportunity to make face here in this 2014 season.

I know nothing of Bennett and I'm suspicious given he's a freshman entering the NBA and produced no impact at the NCAA. One of the most obscurest #1 picks I've seen in awhile. Perhaps he'll be a star in the future if he's as good as they project him to be, but this year's ROY IMHO will be the guard from Lehigh.

Plumlee and Bullock were solid late first round picks but I think since they're in congested teams their efforts won't come to full fruition till their sophomore years in the NBA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2013, 12:42
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
Don't think McCollum will be a point guard, from my impression he doesn't have it in him - more like a ball dominant undersized combo guard, leaning towards SG.

He's a good pick though - I might go with Zeller personally - but having the ball is his hand playing against 2nd units is gonna boost his raw stats a lot.

Might not be efficient, but no one cares about that in ROY voting historically - which brings me to another kid who will probably put a horrific season TO's and FG% wise, but will start from day one and is generally a stat-sheet stuffer on both ends of the floor, in Michael Carter-Williams.

Trey Burke is another kid in a great position to put numbers too so he's deep in the mix - even though I have question marks about his ability to adjust atleast this year to the height and quickness of the NBA game, he seemed very overwhelmed in Summer League by that and that's not a great sign, but he's a hard working kid and that's always a positive in this league long-term for his career.

If PHX trade Gortat, which they absolutely should, Len is a very solid pick aswell - only concern is his health for me.

Gonna come down to Zeller and McCollum imo - I'm going with Zeller.

Kids who I think will have good seasons though are Oladipo, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope who's my sleeper in this draft (Both those guys are in bad situations as far as getting a shot to put up numbers as ROY goes), Tony Snell who I really like and fits perfectly with Chicago as a role player, and Reggie Bullock that I prayed the Knicks will pick - although the latter two will get very limited time unless injuries - especially Bullock.

That kid Schroeder in Atlanta is gonna be great aswell, perfect role for him to come off the bench to Teague and just pick up PGs full-court wrecking havoc defensively, while running the offense.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.

Last edited by Stanko 05; July 30th, 2013 at 12:50.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2013, 12:46
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
First of all playing on a playoff team has little or no bearing on the rookie of the year award. Usually players on bad teams who get lots of playing time to show what they can do win ROTY.

Also Bennett was obscure? Clearly you didn't follow college basketball as Bennett was a legit top 3-5 pick all year.

CJ McCollum scored loads in the summer league but shot 36%. Not efficient at all.

My picks would be,

Oladipo - Will get lots of playing time with a promising but not yet good enough Orlando team. Plays both ends of the floor and has great athletic ability so lots of highlight plays.

Len - IMO he was the best big man in the draft with legit low post moves and very good defender. If the fabled Phoenix staff can keep him fit (Maryland screwed him by playing him while he had a stress fracture), he will be excellent. I wouldn't bet on Len just yet though, big men sometimes take time to adjust to the NBA level.

Olynyk - Stats love this guy. And he's got a pretty decent team alongside him. If he can shoot like he did at the summer league, he's got a shot.

Outside bet would be Burke, he's gonna get a lot of playing time on bad team.

02/05/2009
Estadio : Santiago Bernabťu
Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona
Higuain 14'
Thierry Henry 17'
Carles Puyol 20'
Lionel Messi 35'
Sergio Ramos 56'
Thierry Henry 58'
Lionel Messi 75'
Gerard Piquť 82'

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2013, 15:36 Thread Starter
International

R10 I never base crap off summer league. Summer league is temporary. Someone who shoots 10, 20, 30% in summer league will obviously have a different number come pro. Never ever use the summer league as an accurate indicator.

I agree with you Stanko that it does come down to one of these two guys. I had Zeller originally but switched to the athletic guard as he'll make his 2nd unit look great in Portland. Zeller is lucky to have Big Al, Kemba Walker has to put the ball more in the hands of these two big men.

Is Schroeder really a strong defense player? Interesting to here. I hope Tony Snell fits in Chicago perfectly. Scottie Pippen is working on him. He's raw but they say he has good potential, like his close friend Kawi Leonard. Same size too ironically.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2013, 04:58
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
I think McLemore will take it. All the defensive attention attention will be on Cousins, plus we have a very good pass-first point guard in Vasquez. Both are things that work greatly in the favor a catch-and-shoot player like BMac.

I also like Oldaipo a lot. Don't want to weight in the Summer League too heavily, but he looked really good there, potential stardom.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2013, 06:27 Thread Starter
International

The NBA analyst comparison of Kyrie Irving to Chris Paul was alright, but the NBA analyst comparison of Oladipo to Jordan is ridiculous. So he played intensive defense in college, that still doesn't merit him to be compared to Jordan. Perhaps if he lead his team to an NCAA championship with that awesome cast he had, maybe we could be talking about such comparisons. I think he'll be a reasonable player but he will be NOTHING like Jordan.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 19:29
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
#1 draft pick Bennett has had a very consistent start of his career for the Cavs...consistently awful that is as he has missed every FG so far alm: quite possibly the worst 3 game start from a first pick ever.

let's just say he has a way to go before he can call himself the best Canadian PF in Cavs squad

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 19:43
World Class Player

Teams: AS Roma
Right now the rookie that is stealing the lights is Michael Carter Williams from philadelphia 76ers

His performance vs Miami Heat on the opener
22 points (6-10; 4-6 3 pt), 12 assists, 9 steals, 7 rebounds, only 1 turnover, and 2 clutch free throws at the end to win the game for his team.

Check this on his performance video http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/...but-76ers-heat
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2013, 23:00
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

well, Bennett hit his first NBA field goal vs the Bucks then went scoreless again vs Philly...pretty horrible start for a 1st pick although he's been better than expected in defense and rebounding.

today another chance to match up vs the 76rs.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2013, 11:34
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Cavs take a tough win over 76rs in the 2nd OT. MCW played well with 21 pts, 7rb and 13 assists although I must say he clearly lacked confidence in his perimeter shot and passed on many shot opportunities which really hurt 76rs offense especially in the 4th quarter when they blew their comfortable lead. He has insane length for a PG, meaning his rebounding power is impressive. And pretty solid on defense too...might be a ROY and maybe a future star as well if he improves his long range and mid range shooting.

Irving had a massive game with 39 pts and finally made the game-winning drive in the final seconds of 2nd OT after missing on similar attempts at the end of regulation time and 1st OT. He also had a career-high tying 12 assists (surprisingly low for a 3rd-year starting PG).

Bennett was unimpressive as usual, taking one rebound and missing a field goal in his 9 minutes on the court.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2013, 15:10 Thread Starter
International

Bennett is injured now. No surprises given he's out of shape.

lmao he has the potential to join Kwame Brown, Michael Olokokandi in that exclusive club of terrible drafts.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2013, 18:04
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
So, why NO Poll Shiaben ??? Throw a few names plus "another" and go for it. I'm game

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2013, 11:57
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Bennett is still pretty awful: http://deadspin.com/the-misery-of-an...red-1464570016

although it's not like other rookies (besides MCW) are impressing...it was a really awful draft class.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2013, 13:57
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Bennett's complete highlights so far:

watch at you own risk

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old December 12th, 2013, 00:00
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

so far basically only 2 guys picked outside top 10 have been doing well: MCW and Steven Adams...Oladipo has been doing alright.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2013, 06:52
10'un Adi Lefter
World Class Player

Teams: FenerbahÁe, Juventus, PSV, Santos
Oladipo is good, but he commits too many turnovers and doesn't contribute nearly as much as MCW does on offense despite having the same usage rate (MCW = 100 ORtg, Oladipo = 91).

There are a few guys who are doing pretty well in limited minutes. Hardaway Jr, Plumlee and the Greek Freak are my picks if we go off PER36 and PER.

As of right now, my vote would go to... Trey Burke.

I feel like the Sixers will shut down MCW for most of the season. Guess they didn't expect the team to do that well with him lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
That was a shot. However, when he hits those trivelas one of two things happen-

1-Joshua has an orgasm.

2-Queresma scoress, and Joshua has an orgasm.

This time he got a lucky assist, but you can still bet Joshua had an orgasm.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2013, 10:24
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I like Oladipo, he rebounds well for a guard and is a pretty good defender and plays hard in every situation. For this reason he should at least have a solid future in NBA even if he's not going to be a star. But of course he is not a good shooter...at least not yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in