NBA's Other Awards - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 02:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
NBA's Other Awards

Talk about every NBA except the MVP in here. Basically, discuss the race to the ROY, DPOY, Sixth Man, MIP, Coach of the Year, Sportsmanship Award, All-Star game MVP, Executive of the Year, and NBA Finals MVP.

My favorites for the top five most important awards, imo (ROY, DPOY, MIP, Coach of the Year, and Sixth Man) are:

ROY: Krie Irving - Best rookie undoubtedly. He has earned the number one pick of last year's draft. Great shooter, can set up others nicely, and is a good floor leader.

DPOY: Dwight Howard - He can do it all. Block shots, grab defensive boards, close out the driving lane, etc.

MIP: Luol Deng - Much improved from last year. He has been a big factor to the Bulls winning without Rose. Even has the clutch gene which he showed off against Toronto.

Coach of the Year: Scottie Brooks - Has been a great coach for the Thunder. Can't argue with his record, best in the West, at the moment.

Sixth Man of the Year: James Harden - Another key to the Thunder's success this year. Is a great impact player, if you will. Has a great stroke for the three point line.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 02:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

We can also discuss the All-NBA team, All-Defensive team, etc. in here as well.

- Firdaus
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 02:38
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
Talk about every NBA except the MVP in here. Basically, discuss the race to the ROY, DPOY, Sixth Man, MIP, Coach of the Year, Sportsmanship Award, All-Star game MVP, Executive of the Year, and NBA Finals MVP.

My favorites for the top five most important awards, imo (ROY, DPOY, MIP, Coach of the Year, and Sixth Man) are:

ROY: Krie Irving - Best rookie undoubtedly. He has earned the number one pick of last year's draft. Great shooter, can set up others nicely, and is a good floor leader.

DPOY: Dwight Howard - He can do it all. Block shots, grab defensive boards, close out the driving lane, etc.

MIP: Luol Deng - Much improved from last year. He has been a big factor to the Bulls winning without Rose. Even has the clutch gene which he showed off against Toronto.

Coach of the Year: Scottie Brooks - Has been a great coach for the Thunder. Can't argue with his record, best in the West, at the moment.

Sixth Man of the Year: James Harden - Another key to the Thunder's success this year. Is a great impact player, if you will. Has a great stroke for the three point line.
My list for this is pretty much the same. I haven't paid attention to the MIP prospects, Deng is doable, but I don't know who else has had major improvements. Ryan Anderson, Kyle Lowry, Nikola Pekovic, there might be a few others out there.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 07:04
World Class Player

Teams: AS Roma
I would heavily consider lebron james for DPOY.He is fantastic defender.
You see him defending a guard, into defending a big men like gasol with bosh sitting..
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 09:35
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
ROY : Kyrie Irving

DPOY : Andre Iguodala

MIP : Jeremy Lin/Ryan Anderson

COY : Tom Thibodeau(thats not even up for debate btw - he's the real MVP of the league last year, moreso then Rose - and he prooves it this year with Rose sitting and the Bulls still steamrolling the league with ease)

6th man : James Harden

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 13:54
World Class Player

on march 21, 2012 espn ranked Lebron James as number one candidate in defensive player of the year award

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...#dpoy-rankings

Lebron is a very smart defender, and a versatile one. He can defend just anybody in the league.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post

I would keep all of these except change the Coach of the Year to Thibodue (or whatever).

- Firdaus
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:49
G.O.A.T. Galaxian
Premier Player

Teams: LA Galaxy, Armenian NT, USMNT
Rookie of The Year
Kyrie Irving easily wins this, he has been phenomenal for the Cavs.

Defensive Player of The Year
LeBron James. I was tempted to give it to Kawhi Leonard .

Coach of The Year
Frank Vogel. Pacers have no one that is going to win any awards or make any NBA teams (maybe Hibbert on team 3) and they are #3 in the East.

Most Improved:
Nikola Pekovic or Avery Bradley.

6th Man
Maurice Williams ....nah James Harden has this on lock though Ginobili deserves a mention.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2012, 13:25
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I'd prolly just change Iggy for Tyson Chandler as DPOY.

Knicks went from the 23rd worst defensive team last year to the 4th-5th best this year(And since Woodson became the head coach has been THE best).

His raw numbers don't speak volume so I don't expect alot of people to support that, but his advanced numbers are off the charts defensively, and if you'd watch him play you'll know the boxscore doesn't nearly tell his true impact on the game in terms of rebounds(tips alot to other players esp offensively that note as "Team Rebounds" instead of crediting him), blocks(Alters ridiculous amount of shots and get so much stops that don't register in the boxscore) and in general defensive ability in terms of team-defending.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2012, 13:47
World Class Player

Tyson Chandler does not deserve DPOY over Lebron James
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2012, 13:48
World Class Player

I am least biased member on this section, dont take every post of mine as biased one
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2012, 15:04
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

There's no surefire winner here - but either one of Tyson, Lebron, Kevin Garnett, Iggy for me are worthy winners. if either one wins i'd be fine with it.

Again for raw number guys who don't actually watch the game Tyson might look like a joke of a contender - but if you look in the advanced numbers you'll see on par with that list, and if you'd want the games on a consistent basis you'll see how much of an impact he has, more then the stats may say.

He changed the entire culture of this franchise in one season making us from arguably the worst non-lottery defensive team in the league - straight to an elite NBA top 5 defensive team.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2012, 02:48
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Does Aaron Afflalo have a chance to make the first team?

If not, I hope he gets it one day.

The thing that sucks is Denver sometimes mixes and matches with zone and man on man, so when they go back to zone, his zone is usually weaker than his sturdy UCLA man on man, so it might take a hit on his chances.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 18:44
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 18:55
World Class Player

completly undeserved, it belonged to no one else then lebron james.Lebron James is best defender in the league, beyond ridiculous.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 19:08
International

Teams: Real Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pasquale View Post
completly undeserved, it belonged to no one else then lebron james.Lebron James is best defender in the league, beyond ridiculous.
Damn man.. you take fanboyism to a whole other level.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 19:09
International

Teams: Real Madrid
What's completely undeserved is Thibs not winning coach of the year.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 20:11
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridi19 View Post
What's completely undeserved is Thibs not winning coach of the year.
I would give it to him too, but it's a tossup with Pop imo, I don't mind either winning - same as I wouldn't mind Garnett or Lebron etc winning DPOY... all absolutely worthy and there's no clear-cut winner.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 20:24
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridi19 View Post
Damn man.. you take fanboyism to a whole other level.
go watch games then judge.

Name me one player who defend from positions 1 to 5 as good as lebron.No one is as versatile as him.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 21:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
Shawn Marion.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in