Dallas Mavericks Official Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 08:08 Thread Starter
Laziale, Independent
International

Teams: Lazio; M.City; ALB
Dallas Mavericks Official Thread

Well, the current champs and my favorite team deserve a thread no!

Ok, after a fantastic season from last year which culminated in the first NBA title for the Mavs, this season (as expected) the Mavs are playing so and so!
They failed to re-sign Chandlers, Butler and JJ Barea in hope they will lure D-Howard and in particular a Dallas native Deron Williams in the off-season.

They beat Houston last night after XT in a fantastic game.

Discuss the Mavs here please.

Lazio midfield 1999: ** Nedved - Veron - Simeone - Conceicao

Lazio midfield, 13.12.2009: ** Kolarov - Firmani - Del Nero - Lichtsteiner

Last edited by Amir; March 25th, 2012 at 08:20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 16:00
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
They aren't as good as last year it seems. The Kings blew them out a couple weeks ago.. Well, they are still fifth and a loss away from tying the Clippers for fourth,, which would help for home advantage. Can't see you guys repeating this year. I say you reach the second round and fall apart from there (sorry Amir ).

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 16:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Dirk plays for them.

That's all I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 16:35
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
They are one of six teams and one of four in the west that could win it all this year, however they are also probably only the number six of these six teams if it comes to best chances. If anyone wonders who I am talking about, in the east obvioulsy only Miami and Chicago will be in the final, no other team can beat one of them on the way there. And in the west OKC, Lakers and Spurs are the other three teams. I don't think the Clippers have what it takes, especially with the injury of Billups. And the rest of the teams won't stand any chance of reaching the finals.

As for Dallas, I watch every single game of them and to me there are two things lately (apart from major injuries slowing them down) that are noticable. Number one is that they are really not giving a shit about what happens in the standings, they just care for getting into the playoff as rested as possible with the old squad. Number two is that they sometimes fall in love with 3s way too much. I am quite sure that will stop latest when West comes back.

Apart from that, I agree with everything that was said above, they lost quite some talent but they also added good players in West, Carter and Odom. Odom has very underperformed so far and to me it is all mental, whatever his problem is. I know Dallas is not LA but hopefully once in the playoffs he realizes he has the chance for a ring, even if a smaller one than he used to have before...

I wouldn't underestimate Dallas come playoff time, a team FULL of veterans and Dirk is in good form again after he is in better shape than at the beginning of the season. To me they can win it although I doubt they will. Still definitely a much better team than most others and the bench is definitely one of the best three in the league.

I really hope Williams is interested to join next year, he and Dirk would be a great combination especially if Dallas does not lose too many role players. Unlike Duncan (although he picked up form lately too) and Garnett, Dirk still is at the top of his game when he is fit. He just didn't expect the NBA season to even start, that is why he was so unfit at the beginning of the season. Last 20-25 games I suppose he averages above 25ppg, haven't counted it but am quite sure.

As for イラ, since you are into Asians, Dallas has one for you: Ji Yianlian.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 18:19
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Dallas can easily defeat Oklahoma again since they have no answer for Dirk and also Oklahoma can't score in the paint. They don't have that post man, a similar issue like Chicago. Dallas can defeat the Clippers since they're inexperienced. Against the Lakers this is up for grabs. Mahini is playing well so if he can do his job, and Dirk does his job, they can produce an answer against the best big man duo in the NBA. But there's one huge problem. Derek Fisher isn't playing the point guard. Its Ramon Sessions, a true point guard, and I'm more than sure he will exploit Jason Kidd and torture him. This game could land either way only because the Lakers lack a true bench.

I don't see Dallas defeating San Antonio. They're a pretty complete team. Memphis would be an interesting match. I think they can possibly defeat Memphis since Conley isn't producing an impact quite yet. They can take advantage of that, but Memphis has some pretty powerful all-stars that play very solid so such a game wouldn't be easy at all.

To a great extent I think Jose Barea will be greatly missed and he could be the reason why they won't win a championship. Mahinmi does a reasonable job filling the void for Chandler. But Barea was able to create things coming off the bench. The guy would just take over the game.
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 18:30
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
To a great extent I think Jose Barea will be greatly missed and he could be the reason why they won't win a championship. Mahinmi does a reasonable job filling the void for Chandler. But Barea was able to create things coming off the bench. The guy would just take over the game.
That will be Beaubois' role once West is back. Beaubois, Terry, Carter and Odom off the bench can provide firepower in a hurry. I still think the biggest miss will be Chandler because of his defence. Mahinmi/Wright is ok but not even close to Chandler. As for Beaubois, he has been very good lately, I never really rated him high but last 10 games he shoots good and takes good decisions.

post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2012, 09:14 Thread Starter
Laziale, Independent
International

Dallas beat Houston for the second time in a row in a matter of 3 days!

Now the Mavs face a tough 2 game visit in the Eastern Conference vs the Heat and the Magic in back to back games.

I would be happy with 1 - 1 here.

post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2012, 12:50
Forum Manager
Legend

Very important win considering the standings. Poor start yesterday but they got their act together and the moment they had Scola under control Houston was just horrible.

post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2012, 02:10
World Class Player

Teams: AS Roma
Brent barry and reggie miller are suggesting dirk nowitzki is better shooter then larry bird.. they lost there heads completly...

at HT Miami leading 60 - 53 over dallas..
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2012, 02:38
Forum Manager
Legend

They don't, you haven't understood it. It is not about who is a better player but better shooter and it is clear that Dirk is a better shooter.

post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2012, 03:06
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerheart View Post
They don't, you haven't understood it. It is not about who is a better player but better shooter and it is clear that Dirk is a better shooter.
look what I wrote above.Nowitzki is neither a better player then bird and neither a better shooter
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2012, 03:32
Forum Manager
Legend

He is a better shooter. He is not the best three point shooter in the NBA and he is not the best at driving towards the basket but he takes shots at a degree of difficulty that nobody else takes in this league regularly and he makes about 50% of them. Just look at the one legged fade away shot if you need an example. There is only one player in the history of the league that mastered the fade away shot like Dirk does and that one is Michael Jordan. And if you compare their sizes it makes it even much more special that Dirk can do stuff like that. He definitely is a better shooter than Larry Bird was although Larry Bird was pretty good himself.

post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2012, 05:28
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Perhaps Dirk is better only because he takes a TON of more shots so when you calculate the large proportion of shots he takes, he has a ridiculously high %. While Bird was an exceptional shooter, he also had a ton of points in the paint, layups, etc. So he wasn't strictly a perimeter shooter while Dirk on the other hand is a fan favorite of perimeter shooting (although in recent years he's a capable low post guy too), so if the FG% concentrates strictly on perimeter and just shooting/ jump shots in general (no lay ups, no hook shots, none of that low post), then yeah I guess Dirk might be better.
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2012, 13:06
Forum Manager
Legend

You can see it from the three point shooting. Both players have more or less taken the same amount on FGs at the moment but Dirk has twice as many 3s. And just for the record, their %s are equal. That to me shows that Dirk shoots it better. And as said above by shiaben and myself Dirk takes more difficult shots in comparison to Bird who drove to the basket much better for easy shots/layups. And the FG % is also almost equal despite that.

post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2012, 17:31
World Class Player

Larry bird is better shooter. Around everybody would take bird over dirk.
Bird has more game-winning shots, and his FG% are better then dirk.
Put it this way, if there is last minute shot I would take bird over dirk.Bird is far more clutch then dirk.
Bird is also better in creating his shot then dirk.
Bird also dominated 3 point contests back in the days.
post #16 of 139 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2012, 03:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Let's just agree to disagree because it cannot be proven by anyone anyway. Even if Bird decides to start playing again you can say he is too old now. p

However at least don't make stupid statements like almost everybody would choose Bird. After all already in this thread the majority of 2/3 took Dirk and I suppose great shooters like Miller and Barry do count as reliable enough to at least listen to them when they make a point.

As for FG % I already said it is almost equal with Dirk taking mainly way longer shots and therefore much more difficult shots. As for Bird being more clutch, that doesn't have anything to do with being a better shooter since it also means he can drive to the basket better which we already agreed on.

And about 3 point contests, are you kidding? Those are just for fun, have you ever seen anybody being devastated of not winning there? And just for the record, Dirk has won it at Allstar-Game...

post #17 of 139 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2012, 03:53
Forum Manager
Legend

Anyway, great win today in Orlando. First time this season Dallas manages to win on the road after going down into the 4th quarter. Their overall record after being down after 3 quarters is now 2-19 . They better make sure not to be down after 3 in the playoffs.

post #18 of 139 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2012, 04:16
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FC Barcelona, Indonesia NT
LOL yeah, 2-19 is a crazy stat. Great 4th quarter from Jason Terry btw, and Dirk with a clutch shot as always..

Oh le le, oh la la.. Ser del Barça es, el millor que hi ha!!
post #19 of 139 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2012, 10:34 Thread Starter
Laziale, Independent
International

Fantastic win last night, Dallas was trailing but upped their game when it counted to basically stun Orlando who were not aware what hit them.

Delonte and Haywood are back and that made the difference.

Dirk`s winning shot was stunning just as Mahinmi`s block for Turkoglu.

post #20 of 139 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2012, 15:54
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Amir, if you don't mind me asking you since you are a Dallas fan. What do you think has been the biggest factor or difference from last year's domination (if you will) in the West by finishing high compared to this year so far? Was it the trade for Odom, or ...

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in