College Basketball Thread (NCAA) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:55 Thread Starter
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
College Basketball Thread (NCAA)

Michigan St. got knocked out by Louisville. No surprises. It's not easy for Tom Izzo to go against Rick Majerus and Rick Pitino, one after another. Two top tier coaches.

Not to mention I've mentioned Michigan St.'s lack of talent. They rely a lot on good chemistry.

Can't believe Wisconsin was a mouthful for Syracuse. Had Wisconsin probably had men that can play better in the paint, they probably would have defeated these guys. If Cincinnati can defeat Ohio St. tonight they should be able to defeat Syracuse for a second time.

Last edited by shiaben; March 23rd, 2012 at 04:11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:24
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
Brad Beal is a beast. i'd take him as high as number 2-3, depending how much you believe in Drummands potential.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2012, 23:25
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
I will be rooting for Kentucky to win the whole thing this year (I am a pretty big Anothony Davis fan and really hope the Kings draft him in the draft this year - unlikely sine we probably won't win the lottery, though ). They have a solid squad overall and they are the number one seed with an easier schedule than other teams (in terms of possible opponents in early rounds).

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 01:56 Thread Starter
International

I'm not a Kentucky fan (I'm a Duke fan in case I haven't mentioned), but I wouldn't mind Kentucky winning the entire thing only for one reason, Calipari really deserves a championship for once, poor guy has been unlucky not to win AT LEAST 1. Final chokes aren't helping. I hope these current set of one and done players can get the job done without choking.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 04:09 Thread Starter
International

North Carolina survives without their point guard. This shows how shitty Ohio is. Doesn't matter, Kansas or one of the better basketball programs will knock them out eventually since they are playing without a point guard.

I missed the first half of the Kentucky-Indiana. Seems like its heading toward the same rhythm as the first match. Davis once again invisible offensively while Zeller getting similar numbers. He's already have 8 points in contrast to his 11 from the first game. Like I said, I won't be surprised if Indiana knocks them out since they have inside game as well as solid perimeter shooters.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 02:02 Thread Starter
International

Kansas should be able to make the final and arrange a date with Kentucky. I think that would be a decent final. Syracuse, Ohio St. and North Carolina don't cut it IMHO. Especially North Carolina.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 05:00 Thread Starter
International

Some serious respect to Rick Pitino. Can't believe Louisville is in the final four. Simply amazing. The guy is a tactical genius. Switched from zone to man on man in the 2nd half. And it paid off, especially when you have a team like Florida with the likes of Beal who thrives on 3 point shooting. He took away the perimeter game and I believe they were 0/9 from long distance.

I can see Louisville possibly defeating Baylor, but against Kentucky that would be very tough. They'd have to win the battle of the boards for sure and I think Terrence Jones and especially Gilchrist would create problems in that department given their defenders are going to be undersized at 6'5 and 6'6.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 19:59 Thread Starter
International

Terrence Jones is raping Baylor. In just 12 minutes he has freaking 6 assists and 5 rebounds. The guy is playing center, point guard, and a little bit of everything on both ends of the floor. Not sure why he's a low 1st round pick. I'd put him as a top 10 based on his effort alone. If whomever drafts him and works a bit more on his footwork, he'll be an amazing player. Reminds me of Kyle Singler.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 20:10
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The problem is this effort isn't always there.

He's a hot and cold player, he can be amazing like he is right now - and he can be honestly the most annoying and terrible player the next day, as he has problems keeping that drive and energy in his game alive.

He's a risk - also, he's a tweener in the next level too so it lowers his stock aswell.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 20:24 Thread Starter
International

IMHO, any team that's thinking about a small forward should draft Gilchrist. They would be taking a monumental risk if they were to opt and take Barnes over him just because of his pull up and perimeter shooting. The thing is Gilchrist will obviously start shooting once he's developed in the NBA. I'd definitely draft him over Barnes any day. Plus he doesn't make the kind of stupid mistakes Barnes does and he's under a much superior coach.

I heard good things about Thomas Robinson as well.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 20:28
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yup I absolutely agree, he's my fav player in college this year.

Said so aswell in the start of the season in a post, this kid is just a flat out winner and a born leader with every possible intagable you want for your team - and if/when he gets his shot to a reasonable rate he'll be an all-star with his amazing defence... for sure the better SF prospect to Barnes.

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 21:08
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Perry Jones can be such a ridiculously good player if only he wanted to be.

I mean, this kid can be not only an all-star - but a franchise player.

Problem is he probably will never have that mindset to max his potential out, that's just such a shame.

post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 21:54 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanko 05 View Post
Perry Jones can be such a ridiculously good player if only he wanted to be.

I mean, this kid can be not only an all-star - but a franchise player.

Problem is he probably will never have that mindset to max his potential out, that's just such a shame.
He needs to work a little harder.

Kentucky-Louisville date.

Louisville is badly undersized at the 4 and 3, so they'll have to defend their ass off. It's certainly not impossible, but it's not going to be easy. Terrance Jones frustrated the shit out of Baylor and they had a lot of size.

Gilchrist will HAVE to be cut off from the paint if Louisville wants a fighting chance. They have to force Kentucky to become a perimeter team and even then stick close on guys like Lamb, Miller, or even Wiltjer.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2012, 22:07 Thread Starter
International

Kansas- North Carolina will begin shortly. I expect Kansas by 15 points.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 00:15 Thread Starter
International

Kansas defeats North Carolina.

Their senior point guard Tyshawn Taylor is mentally not there in these NCAA games. He can't hit a 3 to save his life. I believe he's 0/17 for the entire tournament. He'll have to look to pass the ball more or drive open lanes.

Robinson is playing great. But he'll need help. Their shootesr are not taking enough perimeter shots and are feeding it too much to Robinson. They really need a 2nd guy to step it up against Ohio St. Ohio St. does not just rely on Sullinger, they get their entire team involved on offense.

I'm going to have to go with Ohio St. on this one since they aren't reliant on one man to do the entire scoring.

Though I really did enjoy Kansas's defense tonight. Defended quite well and forced numerous turnovers out of Carolina.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 09:24
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

You called up shai, great job.

Without Marshall UNC are just a diffrent team... I didn't believe thier bigs would get outplayed like this by Robinson and Withey though.. that was the key of the game imo.

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 16:55 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanko 05 View Post
You called up shai, great job.

Without Marshall UNC are just a diffrent team... I didn't believe thier bigs would get outplayed like this by Robinson and Withey though.. that was the key of the game imo.
If I were a team that needs a big man, and I only was left with some kind of mid or late 2nd round pick, I would gamble for Withey. Even if he doesn't offensive skill sets, they can probably use him as a rebonder/defensive center type. I was impressed by his anticipation. He was very important for put backs, feeds, rebounds, and he did an amazing job on Zeller, and happened to outscore him as well.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 17:03 Thread Starter
International

If anyone is interested in reading about players that screwed over their potential/max values. You should read this.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rnament/page/2

This is a pretty decent list.

Kabongo was IMHO the biggest disappointment. He was doing well during the regular season and projected to be a top 3-4 point guard for the upcoming draft. But in the first round Texas exited, and I think his shooting was terrible but more important he had like 1 assist or something. It was something ridiculous. Complete no show.

So he's done the right move, he's going to stay at Texas for another year, build up more experience, enter the NCAA again mentally stronger than this year, and show up and perform. Otherwise he'd be a late 2nd round (even if lucky to be selected) instead of a late 1st round in this draft.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 18:35
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Srbija, Crvena Zvezda
Can T.Robinson play the 3 in the NBA or is he strictly a 4? I like him and MKG more than Barnes, even though I haven't seen a lot from any of them. Depending on our draft position, I see the Raptors taking a 3 in the draft, and I'm starting to hope that 3 won't be Barnes.

NIKO NEMA STO SRBIN IMADE

SAMO SLOGA SRBINA SPASAVA
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 18:41 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare View Post
Can T.Robinson play the 3 in the NBA or is he strictly a 4? I like him and MKG more than Barnes, even though I haven't seen a lot from any of them. Depending on our draft position, I see the Raptors taking a 3 in the draft, and I'm starting to hope that 3 won't be Barnes.
I'm glad you brought this up. I forgot to address this.

So as you can see through his college years, he's been restricted at the 4 because that's how his coach likes to use him.

As for as ability goes, he actually believe it or not, has a very decent jump shot and isn't a bad perimeter shooter from what I've heard.

So when he does get drafted, there's a strong possibility he can be competent in playing the 3 but it might take at least a year till he's ready since he's not in the habit of jump shooting because of his restricted role as a power forward in college.

IMHO I think he's better than MKG. But this is up for debate and it will be settled once we see both playing in the NBA. Robinson's speed did a lot of damage to the center Zeller.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in