NBA prediction League - Season 1 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2012, 18:06 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: AS Roma
NBA prediction League - Season 1

I am thinking of running this prediction league.The rules will be simple , you will be given matches on daily basis.You have to predict the winner and by what amount of difference they will win.

Ex. You pick team A to beat Team B by 10 points.
If Team A beats team B by 8 points, you would collect 50 - 2(10-8) = 48 points.
If Team A beats team B by 11 points, you would collect 50 - 1(10-11) = 49 points.
If Team A beats team B by 10 points, you would collect 50 - 0(10-10) = 50 points.
If team B beats team A, then you collect nthg.

Whoever ends with most amount of points wins the nba season 1 prediction league. In case of points being tied at the end of championship, whoever had higher amount of correct winners wins the championship.

I am looking forward to ideas and suggestions about changing some rules, or style of the prediction league.Everybody likes it or not?

I am thinking of adding also a bonus 20 pointer everyday, to predict highest scorer on that particular day from all games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2012, 22:45
Laziale, Independent
International

Teams: Lazio; M.City; ALB
Amigo, I am afraid I am not in a position to participate in such a game, though it sounds fun. The reason is strictly the time factor.
Hope you have the others to participate.

Lazio midfield 1999: ** Nedved - Veron - Simeone - Conceicao

Lazio midfield, 13.12.2009: ** Kolarov - Firmani - Del Nero - Lichtsteiner
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2012, 22:53
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
I will join if it is created.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2012, 22:58
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
I have a simpler idea Mr. Pasquale. Why not make some kind of Playoff prediction? Not sure how it will work. But I guess it can involve predicting a) who will win each round b) how many games that team will win etc. and the correct aggregate. From there, the total carries into the next round, and the next until the finals are over, then you'll have some season winner. So you can have 5 points for every game predicted right. Another 5 points for picking the team that advanced. And another 5 points for getting the series aggregates i.e. 4-3, 4-2, 4-0.

So here's a hypothetical example.

Bulls vs Celtics round one. I pick up Bulls to win (A), I pick Bulls in 6 games (B) and I also pick which specific games they win or lose (C).

If I picked the Bulls to win this series that's 5 points right there. If I picked the aggregate of games correctly that's another 5 points. Now lets say I picked 3 of the games correctly, that's another 15 points right there. So for this series I would have a total of 25 points.

I guess there could be a bonus 10 points if factors A,B,C were all true lol.

For this to workout though everyone would have to keep track of their own predictions.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2012, 23:00
Forum Manager
International

That is actually a really good idea, shiaben. I say we go with that. And how about a rivalry series gives you an extra few points?

- Firdaus
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:04 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Fair enough, a playoff prediction game as we are late in the season.

I agree.

5 bonus points if you pick the right winner for the series
4 points for the correct aggregate (but you have to have guessed the winner right)
2 point for the correct aggregate (whatever winner)

I would also add negative points

If you predict a series wrong by 2 games, you lose one point.
3 games you lose 2 points
If you predict series wrong, you lose 4 points.

Since we have time tiill playoffs, we can also predict top scorer at end of playoff ..finals MVP etc etc for bonus points too.

Amir, you can participate and predict early.What do you guys think?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2012, 23:21
Forum Manager
International

I like it. Play-off predictions would be much better than regular season one due to things like tanking from the bottom-feeders (but not from my Kings ).

- Firdaus
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 07:25
Legend

Teams: Éver Banega
I'd be interested but i can't get on daily to predict.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 07:29
Legend

We should do something like Fantasy NBA like we do for Spanish/English/Italian leagues next season. That would be mad fun. But, would take huge effort/be difficult to establish a system and would need quite a few participants. Just throwing it out there.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 07:37 Thread Starter
World Class Player

there are already established fantasy game on yahoo.

http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

I used to be active in it in the past, and the system is more successful then soccer ones online.

We can create a league game there for next year.And discuss things here.
It will be fun.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 07:56
Legend

Yeah, that would suffice. Personally, i like the fantasy concept where only 1 manager can have a LeBron James or a Kevin Durant, have bidding for players, contracts, buyouts, trades, draft etc. As i said takes heaps of effort to get it started, maybe too much. But, if anyone has been involved in any XT Fantasy Football, will agree it's a worth it, IF you have the right/committed people involved, given the interest in this Basketball forum, it can work.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 08:02 Thread Starter
World Class Player

That fantasy league is more intresting then ones played here on XT, IMO.

The only drawback of it could be you will need to login into another website & play it, then here. But we can discuss the game here, while playing it there
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 08:23
Legend

I haven't played that form so i wouldn't know. Just an option. I'm down for either.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2012, 08:42 Thread Starter
World Class Player

It has a head-to-head system like in here...Drafting players at the begining too.

I think only problem would be is logging elsewhere & playing it.

Quote:
Head-to-Head Leagues
Last Updated: March 21, 2012 Text Size: A A A

Previous | Next
In a Head-to-Head League, your team squares off in a weekly matchup against another manager's to see who can compile the best stats across a number of different categories.
A new weekly matchup begins every Monday and consists of a set number of games based on your league's statistical categories. Each stat category counts as one game, with the win going to the team that finishes the week with the highest total in that category (the cumulative total after each Sunday's games).
So, if in a given week, your team scores more field goals than your opponent's, you would be credited with a victory. However, if your opponent's team ended the week with a better field goal percentage than your team, you'd be charged with a loss. If the two teams end up tied in a given category, each receives credit for a tied game.
This weekly win-loss total is added to a cumulative season record, which is used to determine standings and playoff seedings.
Head-to-head scoring is available in both Public and Custom Leagues. All Public Leagues use the same default settings, while Custom League commissioners can specify a number of settings, including roster size and stat categories.

Quote:
A new weekly matchup begins every Monday and consists of a set number of games based on your league's statistical categories.
Standard Head-to-Head:
Each stat category counts as one game, with the win going to the team that finishes the week with the highest total in that category (the cumulative total after each Sunday's games).
In a Head-to-Head League, your team squares off in a weekly matchup against another manager's to see who can compile the best stats across a number of different categories.
So, if in a given week, your team scores more field goals than your opponent's, you'd be credited with a victory. However, if your opponent's team ended the week with a better field goal percentage than your team, you'd be charged with a loss. If the two teams end up tied in a given category, each receives credit for a tied game.

Head-to-Head One-Win:
With One-Win you are trying to have the most categories wins for that week, instead of multiple wins or losses. As an example, if you win seven of nine categories, you would be credited with a win that week. Ties are scored as ties, 0-0-1.

Head-to-Head Points:
Point leagues use stat values that are multiplied by point modifiers and then added up to give a score for each team. The team with the most combined points each week wins.
For all Head-to-Head leagues, this weekly win-loss total is added to a cumulative season record, which will be used to determine standings and playoff seedings.
Head-to-Head scoring is available in both Public and Custom Leagues. All Public Leagues use the same default settings, while Custom League commissioners can specify a number of settings, including roster size and stat categories.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2012, 01:32
Forum Manager
International

SO will we start next season or...

- Firdaus
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2012, 09:03
Laziale, Independent
International

Teams: Lazio; M.City; ALB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
SO will we start next season or...
Yeah, the Yahoo Fantasty ends this week: I just lost in the quarter finals 6;5 despite being favorite as I ended in third spot last season.

When the time comes, I will reactivate this thread and be the commissioner of the league and send invitations to you all! IT WILL BE FUN really.

Lazio midfield 1999: ** Nedved - Veron - Simeone - Conceicao

Lazio midfield, 13.12.2009: ** Kolarov - Firmani - Del Nero - Lichtsteiner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in