• 1 Post By Rodriguez

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2017, 14:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Italian TV series which are worth being watched

Before my proposals just a few words.
First of all, unfortunately there are not many Italian TV series of the last 40 years I consider worth being watched, maybe a few more which are a bit older, but a teenager of 2017 would hardly appreciate any of them because this is the time of explosions, extreme violence, sex scenes etc. In most of the Italian TV series of the 2000s and 2010s there is much less of it (with exceptions), but the plots are often laughably dumb and sometimes intolerable if you have at least a few brain cells doing their job.
Out of the ones I consider worth being watched I will ignore the obvious ones, the ones everyone knows, such as Il commissario Montalbano (whose standards have gone down badly since the season 1 anyway) or Romanzo Criminale (a lot of violence in it and the second season being in my opinion much worse than the first). I will mention mostly mini-TV series because in my opinion the mini-TV series has a bigger chance to keep the standards of quality high till the end. It is no mystery that any looong N-season TV series reaches a point in which even the best writer doesn't really know how to get to an end of it.
Morierinho likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2017, 15:15
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Only seen 2 recent ones, one of them is in english You know which one lol "I medici". Loved it, cant wait for season 2.

The second one was quite intriguing, about political corruption, actually this thread reminds me I need to go back to watching it, been long time.

Otherwise I barely seen any, except for bits of those you mentionned ofcourse (and some of the hugely popular Gomorra, I never really stuck on that btw, liked the book more weirdly enough), both Romanzo and Montalbano are shown on swedish tv. My father likes Montalbano alot, so seen atleast a full season at some point (I get bored of cop shows easily) and I remember seeing a series about Toto riina as a kid. And few other mini-series. But generally not much else.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2017, 10:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

yeah, Gomorra, I won't talk about it either. Very well known by everyone. A lot of violence, but I liked both seasons. I'm not sure the third season will be so good, without Conte and above all Savastano Sr.
I haven't watched either I Medici or 1992. As regards I Medici, a hell of a cast for Italian standards, or, at least, a few top international actors among whom Dustin Hoffman and Brian Cox, working with the usual bunch of Italian actors who usually take part in low standards Italian TV series. A bit like Messi playing with Palombo if you get what I mean.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2017, 14:45
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve/ITALIA
There are other series besides Montalbano?

Mind you im talking about the old one, the young Montalbano i didnt like much. I just found the whole a guy who looks like Tommasi is going to end up looking like Barthez unbelievable. There was no hints there at all that such transformation happened.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2017, 16:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

L'amaro caso della Baronessa di Carini (the unhappy case of the Baroness of Carini, 1975)

Sicily, 1812.
The first liberal consitution has been drafted. It's the end of the privileges for the feudal lords. The main representative of the new deal is the Prince of Castelnuovo, finance minister, who gives Luca Corbara (Ugo Pagliai), one of his employees, the responsability of investigating the legitimacy of the Sicilian feudal properties. As a starting point, Luca chooses the fief of Carini, whose lord is the Baron don Mariano D'Agrò (Adolfo Celi). On his arrival in Carini, the young inspector witnesses an episode of violence: the lieutenants of don Mariano are beating a storyteller, whose fault is singing a 3-century old ballad about the tragic death of a baroness of Carini, killed by the father for being unfaithful to the husband.

4 episodes, more or less 1 hour each

Plot: Every piece in its place according to a logical sequence of discoveries, events and moves. The smart Baron on one side and Luca Corbara on the other side. Love is the uncontrolled variable which is decisive. No frauds, no stretches.

Cast: Ugo Pagliai is not just the handsome guy, he is not tall, he has no biceps, he is a prominent stage actor. The Swedish actress Janet Agren, the Baroness, is beautiful. In the cast two of the Italian actors who are easily in the all time top10 of Italian actors, that means Adolfo Celi (the Baron) and Paolo Stoppa (don Ippolito, the host of Luca in Carini), then another well known actor such as Vittorio Mezzogiorno and a few Sicilian character actors, who often appeared in movies and TV series on mafia (and in Montalbano later).

Director and writer: Daniele D'Anza, an underrated and forgotten master

My rating: 9/10

Do not confuse it with the remake of 2007 (?), which is shorter, dumber, with a horrible touch of magic and a different end

Last edited by ToniSamp; August 8th, 2017 at 17:04.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2017, 10:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Il segno del comando (the sign of the power, 1971)

Edward Forster (Ugo Pagliai, again), a professor of English literature at the University of Cambridge, has discovered a diary of Lord Byron, which was written by the English poet during his stay in Rome in 1817 and has already published an essay about the first part of it on a academic journal. In a passage of that diary Byron wrote: «1817, April 21, 11 at night. Unforgettable experience, amazing place, a square with ruins of a Roman temple, Renaissance church, fountain with dolphins, stone messenger, heavenly music, mysterious presences». George Powell (Massimo Girotti), cultural attaché of the English embassy in Rome, invites the professor Forster to Rome for a lecture during the so called Byronian week at the British Council. Forster accepts the invitation after receiving another letter from Rome: the painter Marco Tagliaferri tells him that the square Byron wrote about is not a imaginary place, the way Forster claimed in his essay, but a real place in Rome. As an evidence of it the painter exhibits a picture of the square.

5 episodes, more or less 1 hour each, the last one a bit longer

Plot: contrarily to the previous TV series I described in this one there is the esoteric element. Forster is skeptical, Powell doesn't care. In spite of the esoteric element, most of events have a logical explanation. All but one, but in the end Forster is the one real witness of it.

Cast: the actors play as if they were on the stage of a theatre and it works very well for the theater actors of the cast, not so well for the actors who in the 70s appeared mostly in the so called "poliziottesco", "spaghetti western" or even "erotico".

Location: Rome is the best possible place for an esoteric atmosphere.

Director: again Daniele D'Anza, who adapted to television the novel of Giuseppe D'Agata

My rating: 8/10

Again, do not confuse it with the remake of 1992 (?), which is shorter, dumber and lost completely the amazing atmosphere of the original (it is not even set in Rome, but in Madrid or in Paris, I'm not sure).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2017, 19:31
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
I just finished watching "Suburra: la serie" which was put on Netflix last month. The show is a prequel to the "Suburra" film which was released in 2015. Both are excellent IMO.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2017, 09:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I haven't watched either the movie, I don't plan to watch because I have become Claudio Amendola-phobous*, or the TV series, I might start to watch soon instead.

*I like the romani, I like romanesco, I like everything of Roma, but Claudio Amendola is too much even for me. Every roman character he plays authomatically becomes a caricature Cesaroni-style.

I watched an episode of I Cesaroni in the laundrette while I was waiting for the washing machine to wash my continental quilt and Goood, if I have watched one trash TV show, well, that one is I Cesaroni.

Last edited by ToniSamp; November 8th, 2017 at 09:25.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2017, 11:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Boris (2007-2010)

A look at the daily misadventures of the troupe filming the low-quality TV series "Gli Occhi del Cuore 2" ("the eyes of the heart 2"). Boris is the fish of the director René Ferretti.

3 seasons for 42 episodes

Plot: a very funny comedy, desecrating, often anticlerical (not so funny for me but I guess other people could appreciate it). The standards remain pretty high from the first to the last episode, mostly thanks to the change of scenarios and addition of characters who are always spot on and funny. It's clear the reason why a season 4 was impossible: the mine had been exhausted. A movie was made in 2011 but it was a sort of déjà vu in spite of the plot which tried to be something new.

Cast: René Ferretti (Francesco Pannofino) is the main character, the director who knows is producing shit with a very mediocre troupe. 10/10 for him. Duccio Patané (Ninni Bruschetta), the drug-addict director of photography, is gold. The supposedly star Stanis La Rochelle (Pietro Sermonti) is perfect for the role. Also gold are some minor characters such as the other director Glauco Benetti (Giorgio Tirabassi) or the actor Valerio Zanetti (Marco Giallini) or the stage actor Orlando Serpentieri (Roberto Herlitzka)

The sentence: "facciamola a cazzo di cane!" (René)

My rating: 8/10
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2017, 20:10
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSamp View Post
I haven't watched either the movie, I don't plan to watch because I have become Claudio Amendola-phobous*, or the TV series, I might start to watch soon instead.

*I like the romani, I like romanesco, I like everything of Roma, but Claudio Amendola is too much even for me. Every roman character he plays authomatically becomes a caricature Cesaroni-style.

I watched an episode of I Cesaroni in the laundrette while I was waiting for the washing machine to wash my continental quilt and Goood, if I have watched one trash TV show, well, that one is I Cesaroni.

Claudio Amendola played the character 'Samurai' in the film, but a different actor played it in the series (Francesco Acquaroli, who is also from Rome).
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2017, 20:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
Claudio Amendola played the character 'Samurai' in the film, but a different actor played it in the series (Francesco Acquaroli, who is also from Rome).
yeah, this is the reason why I give a chance to TV series: no Amendola.
Francesco Acquaroli is "trucido" enough to be perfect for Suburra, contrarily to Amendola who in my eyes is burnt by six seasons of I Cesaroni and whom I can just think of in a bottle shop.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2017, 12:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ok, I have just finished to watch Suburra la serie.

I disagree on the fact that it's similar to Gomorra or Romanzo Criminale, the way I often read in the internet. It's the same genre but it's different. There are parts which literaly do not make any sense, but I did as if I were watching a fantasy and went on. Anyway, this kind of show in my opinion should never be longer than one season. The season 2 of Romanzo Criminale was hideous, the season 2 of Gomorra in comparison was better, but I'm sure season 3 will be hideous. The season 2 of Suburra will be hideous, I'm sure about it.
About the trio: the gay gypsy was perfect, the Roman Sick Boy so and so, the student was meh! Acqauroli was also perfect. I didn't watch the movie but he was surely a huge improvement on the bottle shop man. The actors playing the gypsies were very good and credible, the clan of the Roman Sick Boy was meh, the politicians also meh. The priests ok (but is it possible that they are all THAT corrupt? Come on!) Finally, where the **** are the policemen?
Spoiler:
The dad of the student had to be told (bullshit he believed) by his son in order to do something and he was shot

What a location is Rome!
Rodriguez likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2017, 13:14
Forum Manager
Legend

Wow you got through it quickly .

I agree. One season is enough, although they have clearly ended it to leave room for another season. They may try a narrative with the cop's son (Gabrielle) looking to fight crime, but I don't think it would work. The way the seasons ends and the film begins, I don't think you need anything in between.

Perhaps the lack of a strong police presence was to illustrate how Rome is corrupt to its core? Vatican, politicians, city hall. The police small and helpless in comparison.

Rome is indeed beautiful. Still for me the most beautiful city I have been to. But the dialect is ironically one of the ugliest . Talking of beauty, Claudia Gerini has something about her .
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2017, 23:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

L'ispettore Coliandro (2006-)

Six seasons (really?)
Crime? Meh! Thriller? No way! I read black comedy, but it isn't even that black.
Written by the well known (at least in Italy) Carlo Lucarelli, a writer I don't like particularly, but is appreciated by a lot of people, Coliandro is a detective of the Italian Police, but he is above all an idiot with a lot of bias who speaks and tries to behave like his idol Callahan. He is rated a joke by most of colleagues (all but Gargiulo) and by all the superior chiefs, who keep him busy with paperwork. His one purpose is reaching the "serie A" of police and he tries to achieve that position by investigating on cases he is not allowed to investigate. In every unauthorized investigation he meets a woman who sooner or later dumps him, for a reason or another.
The show is fun mostly thanks to Coliandro (Giampaolo Morelli). His colleagues Gamberini, Borromini and Gargiulo are also very funny. A lot of episodes are pure garbage anyway and can be appreciated just because of the gags of the people I mentioned, but in the long term it should not be enough. Instead, it is! The location is Bologna. Plenty of cameos of well known Bolognesi.

My rating: from 7 to 0/10, depending on the episode. I couldn't tell which one is the best but I know for sure which one is the worst!

Last edited by ToniSamp; November 12th, 2017 at 23:58.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2017, 22:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Gomorra is back with season 3. The beginning of it is very promising.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 16:47
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Ok, I have just finished to watch Suburra la serie.

I disagree on the fact that it's similar to Gomorra or Romanzo Criminale, the way I often read in the internet. It's the same genre but it's different. There are parts which literaly do not make any sense, but I did as if I were watching a fantasy and went on. Anyway, this kind of show in my opinion should never be longer than one season. The season 2 of Romanzo Criminale was hideous, the season 2 of Gomorra in comparison was better, but I'm sure season 3 will be hideous. The season 2 of Suburra will be hideous, I'm sure about it.
About the trio: the gay gypsy was perfect, the Roman Sick Boy so and so, the student was meh! Acqauroli was also perfect. I didn't watch the movie but he was surely a huge improvement on the bottle shop man. The actors playing the gypsies were very good and credible, the clan of the Roman Sick Boy was meh, the politicians also meh. The priests ok (but is it possible that they are all THAT corrupt? Come on!) Finally, where the **** are the policemen?
Spoiler:
The dad of the student had to be told (bullshit he believed) by his son in order to do something and he was shot

What a location is Rome!

Toni, your thoughts were on the right lines. Not that I would say season 2 of Suburra was "hideous" but it was certainly worse than the first season. The characters and plot was not written as well. It has its moments where it shines but then plot twists and character developments which feel forced.

They have clearly set it up for a third season. I'll probably watch it out of curiosity, but I don't expect much.
ToniSamp likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 22:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
yeah, Gomorra, I won't talk about it either. Very well known by everyone. A lot of violence, but I liked both seasons. I'm not sure the third season will be so good, without Conte and above all Savastano Sr.

Unfortunately there were the third and fourth seasons of Gomorra with lots of new characters whose best quality was the fact that they were shot and disappeared.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in