9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 154 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 03:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: F.C. Juventus of Turin
Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
No I dont know that at all. It's absolutely what you suggested by what you wrote. You said your money is on Conte to Juve. I pointed out that the Italian press' money is on Conte to Inter. You suggested Conte choosing a weaker team is illogical, even though his Chelsea side was weaker man-for-man than Man City and Man United and his Italian NT squad was weaker than God knows how many other NTs or club teams... I think we can both agree Conte was 'established' by the time those offers came around.

But look, you may be correct. Conte might backtrack or have left a door open for Juve. But according to everything I had heard and read , he burnt bridges all over the place at Juve and has an actual contractual agreement with Inter. Time will tell. Soon.
I said I think it would make sense if he's available and we're looking for a coach, re-uniting would make a lot of sense for both parties because we are the best team in Italy by far and he is the best Italian coach by quite some margin apart from Allegri who is exiting.

Totally disagree that Chelsea were so much weaker than City and Man Utd, I'll repeat it again, they had already won the title with Mourinho 2 seasons ago and their core was in tact. You trying to portray them as some massive underdog in the league is disingenuous. I think the fact that they had won the league so recently shows the quality they had in their ranks, and many people were predicting that Chelsea would dominate the league for the next few years after Mourinho won that EPL..

The Italian NT was significantly weaker, but taking over a national team is not exactly the same thing as taking over a club, is it? He took it over for the prestige and chance to compete internationally, it's obviously a job many if not all Italian coaches aspire to have one day. And the expectations were very low, everyone knew it was a weak squad and so anything he could do to surpass that low bar set was already going to be deemed a success.

“Dogs celebrate on the corpses of lions, thinking they’ve won, but lions remain lions and dogs stay dogs"
-Stefano Sturaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 154 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 04:44
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Rep. of Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post

Totally disagree that Chelsea were so much weaker than City and Man Utd, I'll repeat it again, they had already won the title with Mourinho 2 seasons ago and their core was in tact. You trying to portray them as some massive underdog in the league is disingenuous.
It's not disingenuous and telling me I'm being disingenuous is just a silly rhetorical trick to make your argument look more credible. Chelsea actually finished TENTH the season before Conte. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacka View Post

It's not as if the centipede would have a functioning digestive system.

I could glue a couple of pieces of cardboard as wings onto my car, but I wouldn't call it a functioning flying car even if it would be able to "fly" 50 meters if I drove it at full speed off a cliff.
post #43 of 154 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 06:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Of course, because it was an aberration due to the breakdown in the relationship between Mourinho and the squad, not because they suddenly became a crappy team.

I think the 2 EPL titles in 3 years should be evidence of that, but you seem to be childishly holding on to a red-herring.

“Dogs celebrate on the corpses of lions, thinking they’ve won, but lions remain lions and dogs stay dogs"
-Stefano Sturaro

post #44 of 154 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 13:55
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve/ITALIA
https://app.football-italia.net/?ref...&menu=news-all

I already miss Allegri. These names do nothing for me.
post #45 of 154 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 19:54
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:

I think the 2 EPL titles in 3 years should be evidence of that, but you seem to be childishly holding on to a red-herring.
You have shifted the goalposts again, I see, by counting Conte's first season at Chelsea. This is pretty "silly", objectively speaking, seeing as we are now dealing with totally skewed sample sizes. To even things out we would have to know where Conte will finish at his new club next season, wouldn't we?

Why not actually stick to the rules of the debate that you set out from the start, i.e. Conte doesn't join teams that are way behind the league leader when a given club offers him a job, even though your only practical example for this is him joining a Chelsea side (you are not "permitting" his Juve stint) that finished 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st and 10th in the 5 years before he joined.

I'm not really sure what part of this is "childish" ... I guess you just don't really have a substantive point and are relying on rhetoric to make your argument look better than it is ....
post #46 of 154 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 21:33
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Although I have to add that Inter were so diabolically bad tonight that I actually agree with Nero: Conte would be mad to join Inter.

He should phone his agent and tell him to tear up the agreement now.

Although to be fair, it may be contingent on CL qualification.... and Inter look more than capable of losing/drawing with Empoli next weekend.

Quote:

I could glue a couple of pieces of cardboard as wings onto my car, but I wouldn't call it a functioning flying car even if it would be able to "fly" 50 meters if I drove it at full speed off a cliff.

Last edited by red; May 19th, 2019 at 22:17.
post #47 of 154 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 17:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
You have shifted the goalposts again, I see, by counting Conte's first season at Chelsea. This is pretty "silly", objectively speaking, seeing as we are now dealing with totally skewed sample sizes. To even things out we would have to know where Conte will finish at his new club next season, wouldn't we?

Why not actually stick to the rules of the debate that you set out from the start, i.e. Conte doesn't join teams that are way behind the league leader when a given club offers him a job, even though your only practical example for this is him joining a Chelsea side (you are not "permitting" his Juve stint) that finished 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st and 10th in the 5 years before he joined.

I'm not really sure what part of this is "childish" ... I guess you just don't really have a substantive point and are relying on rhetoric to make your argument look better than it is ....
Lol how is that shifting the goal posts? They won an EPL 2 seasons before he got there, then won it again in his first season. This the team you seem to think was so behind the top teams. It’s absurd however you want to dance around it.

The rest I’ve already addressed in detail, refer to my previous posts.

-Stefano Sturaro
post #48 of 154 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 17:54
Legend

I wonder if inter can rescind the agreement with conte and get Allegri instead
post #49 of 154 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 18:45
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
No Italian team is good or ambitious enough to attract Allegri besides us. So no he ain't going there. Probably PSG or Bayern (outside chance for Barca).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #50 of 154 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 19:52
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Do you really believe that? I think that, like almost anybody else these days, Allegri would pick Bayern or PSG over Inter, Napoli, or Milan or Roma if given the chance. But this season it's a particularly competitive market for top managers. Imagine if Mourinho and Conte get those two jobs soon: I'm not sure Allegri would reject Inter or a few of the others in that scenario -- if he actually is looking for a job next year, that is.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #51 of 154 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 20:15
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Not sure what definition of ambitious is but Inter are out FFP stuff and have rich owner, and now a connection to Juve in Marotta.

PSG and Chelsea are likely but I don't think Bayern and United will be after Allegri
post #52 of 154 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 21:02
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Lol how is that shifting the goal posts? .
Because, as I just told you, you have totally imbalanced the sample size since we don't actually know where Conte is going to finish next season .... Sample A now has one year more than Sample B If you can't see how illogical that is then it's very much your problem man.

Anyway, the dumbest thing about this whole discussion is that according to Di Marzio, GDS, SKY and CDS he ACTUALLY IS JOINING INTER (see below)

That's all I'm going to say about this, as it's done and dusted. All the Inter community is hoping for is that the club can start challenging Juve, even tentatively, like finishing within 10 points. It is a modest target but one that Conte will be capable of with a budget of 200 million and with Marotta behind the scenes.

You will win the league next season, but let's see what Inter are capable of in the next 3 years.

Conte set for Inter
By Football Italia staff

Former Juventus and Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has agreed terms to become Inter’s next Coach.

Sky Sport Italia journalist Fabrizio Romano corroborates Corriere dello Sport’s claim last week that Conte is a dead cert to replace Luciano Spalletti at Inter.

Furthermore, the ex-Italy CT will put pen to paper on ‘a three or four-year contract’ with the Nerazzurri as he believes he can make them ‘title contenders again’.

Last edited by red; May 21st, 2019 at 08:50.
post #53 of 154 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 17:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

How about we use the most apt sample size, in 2 seasons at Chelsea, he won the EPL in his first season.

You think that you can do that with a bad team? No.

-Stefano Sturaro
post #54 of 154 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 17:40
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Instead of this pointless discussion, its much more interesting to talk about how lots of Italian sources are saying Pep is close to Juve lol.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #55 of 154 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 18:14
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
How about we use the most apt sample size, in 2 seasons at Chelsea, he won the EPL in his first season.

You think that you can do that with a bad team? No.
Jesus Christ......

Because it is a two-sample test (A: Chelsea's status as a determiner of Conte joining, B: Inter's status as a determiner of Conte joining) and there is no value in Sample B that equates to Conte's 1st season in charge of Chelsea.

It would be like measuring voters' attitudes to Obama and Trump by polling them on Obama on the two years before Obama was in office, and then polling them over three years for Trump: 2 years where Trump wasn't in office and 1 year when he was. How clever would this be? Not very....

What makes your point even more nonsensical is that Conte has, by all accounts done what you said he wouldn't do and agreed to join Inter. The announcement could be made as early as Monday.
post #56 of 154 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 18:20
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post
Instead of this pointless discussion, its much more interesting to talk about how lots of Italian sources are saying Pep is close to Juve lol.

I thought they completely stopped with the Guardiola talk after the FA Cup final.

Only names I heard today were Sarri and Inzaghi

Quote:

post #57 of 154 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 18:48
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Its not general media yet but close sources and journalist (Momblano) who been consistently correct on CR7, Allegri (said he is gone when all medias were insisting he stays)and other Juve news before they became known, saying they are working closely on Pep.

Paratici and Pep are in same Milan hotel (Pep is there for golf charity Agnelli is in too), and Paratici has been seen with fifa agents in that hotel who work closely with Peps brother (and is his agent). Same with meeting Citys sporting director last week etc.

post #58 of 154 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 19:39
Legend

Pep coming to serie A would be great for the credibility of the league, plus he knows it well; however I am not sure he will be an upgrade on Allegri. This feels like the end of an era and it isn't solely because of Allegri (it wasn't when Conte left), but because defense is aging, Buffon left, midfield options are thin. What will decide next seasons more than the manager (Juve will be able to get a capable manager) is this summer's mercato.
post #59 of 154 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 20:49
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post
Its not general media yet but close sources and journalist (Momblano) who been consistently correct on CR7, Allegri (said he is gone when all medias were insisting he stays)and other Juve news before they became known, saying they are working closely on Pep.

Paratici and Pep are in same Milan hotel (Pep is there for golf charity Agnelli is in too), and Paratici has been seen with fifa agents in that hotel who work closely with Peps brother (and is his agent). Same with meeting Citys sporting director last week etc.

Would be great even for Serie A in general but I'll believe it when I see it....
post #60 of 154 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 15:42 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Jesus Christ......

Because it is a two-sample test (A: Chelsea's status as a determiner of Conte joining, B: Inter's status as a determiner of Conte joining) and there is no value in Sample B that equates to Conte's 1st season in charge of Chelsea.

It would be like measuring voters' attitudes to Obama and Trump by polling them on Obama on the two years before Obama was in office, and then polling them over three years for Trump: 2 years where Trump wasn't in office and 1 year when he was. How clever would this be? Not very....

What makes your point even more nonsensical is that Conte has, by all accounts done what you said he wouldn't do and agreed to join Inter. The announcement could be made as early as Monday.
Who's moving the goal posts now? It's not about their status as a determiner of Conte joining (what does that even mean?), it's debunking this nonsense that you're spewing that Chelsea were so far behind the rest of the contenders for the title, that Conte, in all his magnanimity, bestowed divine mercy on them by deciding to join them, and performed a miracle by suddenly making them title winners.

Chelsea under Abrahamovic has always been a top team which has invested a lot in being competitive, Conte knew full well that he'd be able to contend based on the quality of the squad at the time and the additional investments that would be made after he was appointed.

Even then he wasn't satisfied.

You comparing that to Inter, in its present state is a laughable notion. Conte joining Inter would truly be charity.

-Stefano Sturaro

Last edited by Nero; May 22nd, 2019 at 15:48.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in