Xtratime Community banner

Transfer Market 2019/2020

322K views 10K replies 123 participants last post by  camelface 
#1 · (Edited)
I really think we should have a new thread. It is a new day. If people disagree, just merge.

Just to get the ball rolling, here are my preferences, I think.

Needs: Nothing major, unless we sell/let go current stars. I am assuming that Pirlo leaves and Tevez stays. I am also assuming that Pogba stays another season to star in a known environment leading up to the EURO 16 in France.

Desirable:
Goal: Backup for Buffon. If he has his mind set on trying for another WC, there is no point in looking for a genuine starter option until the wheels start falling off. In such a scenario we should just keep on keeping tabs on young guys and as Storari seems like he would like to continue with us, we should probably let him.

Upgrades/future options at the wingbacks - I think this is our biggest weakness, especially as we don't have anyone to really challenge D's from out wide. We need some guys who can offer offensive help on the fullbacks when we are being stiffled down the middle.
Baba from Augsburg apparently is targeted for RB - he seems promising. I would also like Rafael from United who is likely to be let go. Injury problems there, but he is 24 years old and a real difference maker when healthy. If we can sell Caceres and Isla, that could pay most of such a RB move, unless the club decides to be in on Darmian. I think the costs there will be prohibitive, also compared to his quality - which is quite high, but he is also overrated IMO because he is one of the only good Italians in circulation. If we cannot sell Caceres though, then really there is little reason to make a move for RB.
On the left back.... Evra looks set for another season and Asamoah is likely going to be converted to LB often given our options for the midfield. If that is the case, we can probably wait to address this position for a year, as otherwise we simply clutter the roster. If we could spot a great young LB talent to sign and loan out, that would make very good sense though.

Central defense: Would really like Rugani to join, but it depends also on how much playing time would be accorded him. If we keep on playing 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3, I doubt there would be much space for more than 4 CD's and in that case we should probably have to sell one before taking Rugani in makes sense. Ogbonna is of course the most likely candidate. Selling him now would however guarantee a significant loss, and I don't think he is without hope for the future. Anyway...

Midfield: Nothing is "needed". A trequartista would be nice, but as things are gearing up, we will likely be in a situation where we will often use a striker/forward there. Both to keep players happy and because it could be explosive. No point in acquiring a trequartista to make expensive strikers sulk on the bench. I like the idea of Khedira joining on a free. With Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio, Sturaro, Pereyra and Asamoah, that should be well and truly enough. And of course Padoin will be an inferior but useful option, as that trusted "where do you need me, coach?" kind of player, that Gianlucca Pessotto personified. Marrone.... well, he likely lost too much time to ever be what was hoped. Pawn to be used, I'm afraid.

Forwards: Tevez, Morata, Dybala, Berardi, Zaza? Kinda monstrous, really. Perhaps one should be loaned somewhere else to insure playing time, something that will in all probability happen with Coman - and as much as I'd have liked it if we could grow him ourselves... well, we don't have a
Juve B in serieB like Barca, Bayern etc. etc. do - nor a star studded reserve league like in England.
Matri could stay as a 5th choice if it makes financial sense and for instance Berardi is kept at Sassuolo on loan. Llorente should be sold for as much as we can get.

See less See more
#3 ·
I really think a proper trequartista is an important improvement we need especially for our formation and the way we play. We need that increase in quality in the final third.

#4 ·
I agree, trequartista is the one position where I believe we have most room for improvement. With the money spent on Dybala I don't believe we'll be going after someone costly though.

I wonder what Tevez could do in that position with a whole preseason working on it.

#14 ·
Hey, the other thread has nostalgic value for me :(

And oh we arent gonna play 3 forwards, nothing suggests that IMO. Plus dont have the depth for it, considering we are selling Llorente, retiring Pepe, loaning out Coman etc. At best I can see Zaza coming (not Berardi sadly) or Matri staying. Not enough depth for 3 man attack formation. Plus Tevez does not like playing wide nor does it suits him, as it would in trio that needs wing forwards.

I know its unlikely, but its so much easier to just sign a proper AM and have Dybala be the first rotation option off the bench. With losing Pirlo we will lose the extra creativity with final balls, so need proper creative outlet in the final third, likes of Firmino/Pastore/Oscar types.

As reply to their eventual bid, we should send this picture gallery as response to them :jester:

#7 ·
Tevez will be around at best for another year to fulfill his contract, after which Dybala will take his place over in the line-up, and i don't think he is coming with the notion that he will be an immediate starter next season.

I think there's plenty of space for a trequartista. I agree with Hasuni, the likelihood will be we will have a limited budget for one but we can try to find someone a bit cheap and promising.

This is easily the position we need the biggest boost in quality apart from as you mentioned our fullbacks.

#9 ·
Tevez will be around at best for another year to fulfill his contract, after which Dybala will take his place over in the line-up, and i don't think he is coming with the notion that he will be an immediate starter next season.
We are paying 30-40 million euro for him.... If he doesn't expect to start the club certainly does, IMO. It's the most expensive player we've purchased since the barage post-Zizou after all.

As our forward options look to be significantly better next year than they have been this season, with a more mature Morata and Dybala better than what we've had.... I really think the question of what we do after Tevez is something to figure out... after Tevez.

Besides... the idea of the trequartista, so dear to my heart..... isn't that rather dead, if we are being honest? Even Messi is more prolific when his starting position is out wide. Ronaldo, Robben, Ribery, Hazard, Neymar etc. are other marquee names who drift from such a starting point.

Fekir to mention one of the desirable young playmakers, same thing. I mean - who are we really talking about when talking about a trequartista one would want these days?

OR should we just say attacking midfielder with lots of creativity?

#11 ·
We paid 20m for Morata and he did not start the season as a starter either. Why should Dybala assume he will become an instant starter? That's not how it works, he has to earn it. And we all know he was bought with the view of replacing Tevez permanently once he leaves after next season.

Besides, he will get his chances to play with rotation.

I'm using the label of trequartista loosely to encompass playmaker/attacking midfielder, the semantics are not really what interest me.

Ideally, the kind of player i'd like is someone similar in style and substance to Hazard.

The traditional playmaker is i agree dead, what we need is an AM who is quick, good on the ball and has the ability to make the killer last pass.

And that is something we lack greatly.

#15 ·
We paid 20m for Morata and he did not start the season as a starter either.
More than anything that was because he got injured long term in pre-season training.... it certainly wasn't Llorente or anyone else non-Tevez being too hot to handle.

Why should Dybala assume he will become an instant starter? That's not how it works, he has to earn it.
...and again I will counter by saying that he is the biggest signing we have made in a decade, moneywise. It matters.

I'm using the label of trequartista loosely to encompass playmaker/attacking midfielder, the semantics are not really what interest me. Ideally, the kind of player i'd like is someone similar in style and substance to Hazard.
Fair enough. For me "trequartista" has particular meaning, not least for a team with the versions we've had.

Back to my objection.... with us paying what we did for Dybala, and what we will pay for Berardi (if nothing else to maintain control of him, never mind if he is on the roster), as well as some kind of expense for Khedira or another midfielder to replace Pirlo as regards capable starter material, never mind likely also making one purchase for the defense - perhaps a wing back - is it likely that we can find the money to also get someone good enough that it is preferable keeping a player like Dybala (and/or Berardi) on the bench?

Because that is the tradeoff here. I assume you will be quick to agree that a Tevez/Morata/Dybala trident is preferable to playing Pereyra as an AM/playmaker. Or Vidal in that position for instance (will be an option from time to time anyway). Unless the player coming in is really good (not Shaqiri), I think it would be better to play three strikers, at least until the Tevez leaving scenario is upon us.

The traditional playmaker is i agree dead, what we need is an AM who is quick, good on the ball and has the ability to make the killer last pass.

And that is something we lack greatly.
Well, domestic double and CL final notwithstanding.... in principle I would like such a player too.

But even Barca have to make do to keep their star players happy. If Messi or Neymar are not there, you get Pedro, OK (and he likely wants to leave to get first team football). After that.... nothing. There is not even an out and out striker there should Suarez be unavailable... then they put Messi up front. Ultimately, you have to accept very much declining returns on the forwards if you want to maintain a long line of them and only wants to play two in the startling lineup. Juventus habitually have five, and it is always the death of one or two of them career wise. Except when Lippi played DP, Vialli and Ravanelli of course, with Amoruso a talented youngster and Padovano who didn't complain.

#13 ·
I just don't see a trident happening. Also because Tevez does not like staying in one spot, he likes to roam and move deep and if we're playing a front 3 he will have to be more disciplined in his position if we have only 3 midfielders.

It also doesn't seem to be a formation popular with Italian teams. I don't think they like giving up the extra midfield cover.

#16 ·
Trident would make little more sense if we retain Berardi, but latest news is we will sell our half of him to Sassuolo with buy back option over next two summers, like we did with Zaza.

#18 ·
I hope you are right, but we are fans of an italian team, and only time we played with 3 forwards is the first season I started supported this team 20 years ago. I mean Allegri's version of an attacking midfielder is playing hard runners like Boateng or Vidal/Pereyra instead of play wingers/extra attacker, hard to imagine he would go for 3 forwards as mainstay option. Plus neither of our forwards are technically natural wingers either as Bayerns and Reals started out as, even if Dybala would fit, he is still someone more dangerous centrally.

And the number game matters because it takes only 1 injury to foil our formation, for Real James plays wing/forward alot when Bale was gone, and Barca has bleak options but atleast has a Pedro which we dont. But yeah Barca are the ones who have the most freakish reliance on their trio being set to play an entire season, their fitness levels must be sick really.

#33 ·
I mean Allegri's version of an attacking midfielder is playing hard runners like Boateng or Vidal/Pereyra instead of play wingers/extra attacker, hard to imagine he would go for 3 forwards as mainstay option.
And that is weird, dont you think? In Cagliari, a team who was supposed to be defensive minded, he used to put Cossu there who is much more ortodoxal AM than Muntari, that LB from Ajax or whoever else he tried to slot in that position in Milan.

#20 ·
One thing you guys ignore/forget regarding Morata not starting at start etc. Morata came from a different league/country. Anyway, i will repeat. Dybala was signed as long term Tevez replacement. Also if its 100% sure that he is signed, then we also did it to react. Next summer same time we might not have this opportunity when Tevez really does move on.

#22 ·
Yes, but Allegri went to great lengths to give Llorente an opportunity to save his spot before Morata eventually displaced him. It was not an automatic process, on the contrary Morata had to demonstrate more than him consistently before he won the starting spot.

Di Maria may or may not leave, but my sense is that Man Utd will try to cut their losses with him. The problem is who is going to pay enough for him that would make a potential deal feasible?

#23 ·
PSG.

#26 ·
Well PSG pulled out of a Di Maria deal with Real because he was too expensive then. Man Utd will have to be ready to take a sizable hit on his transfer free to push a transfer through.

PSG are having their difficulties with FFP.

#28 ·
True, it was because they had just signed Luiz but now with a fresh transfer kitty there will be no stopping them.. Platini also said FFP will be relaxed...

Even if UEFA fine the Qataris 100m they have no problem paying that

#27 ·
If Cavani goes in the summer they can operate with the Cavani money for that deal. Might even do a swap with Utd player to player.

RVP seems all but leaving. Falcao has not worked out and will go back to France or sold in summer by Monaco or god knows who owns him currently. That opens up position for Cavani in Utd. Van Gaal speaks spanish, there are other spanish language players in the team. Cavani might actually move there.

Other possibility is Bale goes to Utd to replace Di Maria so to speak.

#29 ·
Well Marotta has repeatedly stated, as i thought, that there is no truth to the Cavani rumors. So this means Cavani to Man Utd as a makeweight for Di Maria would make a lot of sense.

Now Khedira being rumored with a 4m a year offer from us.

#37 ·
Yeah Emanuelson, i wonder how he came with that :D

btw i'd like to keep Llorente, probably im the only one here, but he is the perfect plan B in attack, yes he doesnt fit in Allegri's system, but well, once in while this system wont work and then you can throw Llorente and hope he uses his size. So if he wont mind the bench - keep him.

#38 ·
btw i'd like to keep Llorente, probably im the only one here, but he is the perfect plan B in attack, yes he doesnt fit in Allegri's system, but well, once in while this system wont work and then you can throw Llorente and hope he uses his size. So if he wont mind the bench - keep him.
You make a good point, if he is happy to sit on bench and play second fiddle to Morata then why spend money on the likes of Matri or even Zaza (Zaza isnt anything special in comparison to Llorente). The only upside to selling Llorente is the fact that we may be able to get some decent cash for him now where that wont be the case in 1 or 2 years time. But no point in selling llorente to fund matri or zaza.

My two cents...

If next season Allegri sticks to the current plan then something has to give...either we either invest in an AM who is more creative than the likes of Vidal or if Allegri wants that type to continue as the AM, then we need to sort out our full back options because right now we can't rely on Lich or an old Evra or even Asamoah to offer us the creativity out wide.

Considering Dybala is basically a done deal and we have the opportunity to bring Berardi in, along with Tevez we are able to change to a 4-3-something...which was a tactic Allegri stated in words quite a lot when he first joined as coach. Use Morata and Llorente as striker options...not too shabby and who knows,maybe Llorente would suit having two wide players supplying him from the wings.

As for midfield if Pirlo leaves then Khedira makes sense...wages are like for like. Does anyone know the contract length Khedira is asking for? i saw the Vidal to Arsenal link on facebook...not sure if players would want to leave juve after the great season we are having. But marchisio, vidal, pogba, khedira, pereyra, sturaro with asamoah as another option is more than enough for rotation in the midfield trio. Sell Marrone and Pepe of course and dont take the option on romulo.

defense- bonucci, chiellini and lich will all be there again next season. barzagli and caceres as back up. if caceres can stay fit i would like to see what he can offer at right back...probably not as solid defensively as lich but i think he isnt too bad at attacking. Evra will be good back up. Asamoah needs to prove he can hold down LB. Alternatively i would like to see us bring in Darmian. sell ogbonna and bring in rugani now,the kid has what it takes and will make current starters sweat for their positions. sell PDC as well.

Keepers - bring in neto on a free as long term replacement for gigi.

4-3-something (tevez and dybala running a muck in that final third)

buffon
lich bonucci chiellini darmian
vidal marchisio pogba
dybala morata tevez

neto caceres barzagli rugani evra pereyra khedira sturaro asamoah berardi llorente

give or take it is about 70 to 80m on pereyra, dybala, berardi and darmian one would think?? neto and khedira on a free. rugani has already been bought mid season right??Sales should amount to at least 20m with ogbonna, PDC, Pepe, Marrone...and if more funds are needed and a player needs to be sacrificed then maybe dangle asamoah infront of an EPL side to see what we could get.With all those midfielders and Darmian joining he may be the man to make way if the offer is right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.