Xtratime Community banner

I'd post this in the cricket forum but...

304 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  COUTO 5 
#1 ·
... our friends from the sub-continent wouldn't have a clue what I was on about and I figure it would be relevant to everyone who posts here:

Has everyone else seen the ad for Jeff 'Thomo' Thompson's SWING KING training cricket ball?

Essentially it's a tennis-ball with some sort of plastic on one half of it to make it swing. Well fcuk me! That's original!

Hands up all those lads here who have never grabbed an old tennis-ball, wrapped half of it in electricians-tape and zinged one down the driveway at your best mate's head?

Why didn't one of us patent the idea and sue Thomo for all he's got?! Then we'd see his slingshot action in all it's glory as he reached into his back-pocket...

#2 ·
Yeah I've used one of those. Work like a dream. That's the only thing that makes my bowling look half decent. The only thing they need to do need is create a green plastic, so the batsmen can't tell which way you're gonna swing it...

#3 ·
Fella's .Let me tell you a story !!

Those swing kings are bullsh!t and have been around for years !! They break easy !!

Now if you want a good game of back yard cricket do what we did we had a range of pitches and balls to use. Fist of all we never taped up a tennis ball we used to shave the fur of ( very sharp stanley trimmers ) , we even played with golf balls ( wear the helmet kiddies ) and the good ol baseball for them one day game in the park wear all the advantage was with the batsmen !!
We played on grass , turf , concrete ... but the best matches were played on gravel !! We used to set up gravel on a 2 metre patch just before the batsmens popping crease and surprisingly produces a great game , not as hard as it sounds or dangerous plenty of opportunity for the spinners, great encouragement for the pace bowlers with the movements of the pitch & makes the batsman concentrate 100% of the time & use his feet !!!!

#4 ·
STOP PRESS: Couts shaves his balls :angel:

#5 ·
Driveway cricket - the great Australian way of life!!

Getting out the old tin rubbish bins, taping a tennis ball up, setting up a make-shift scoreboard on the footpath using chalk (or in desperate cases a bit of bark from the front yard ;) ) to keep score, using the one pad to look semi-pro.... simple rules - one hand off the roof/out of the trees/off the car parked on the road, six and out if it hits the neighbours house on-the-full, four if it hits and crosses the gutter on the other side of the road.... aahhh, the good old days :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.