Xtratime Community banner

FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON: Inter - Lecce 26.08.2019 19:45 CET

4K views 127 replies 12 participants last post by  Nerazzurri4life 
#1 ·
Some people may not realise we are playing Lecce in 5 days at San Siro.

Forgivable, seeing as Icardi has just been given the number 7 shirt and Joao Mario and Valero are still Inter players. It definitely still feels like we are in maybe week 3 of the off-season.

On the other hand, Barella, Sanchez, Godin and Lukaku are now Inter players :)

Presuming Alexis, Godin and Lazaro are not match-fit and Biraghi hasn't either a) signed or b) acclimatised, Conte will surely have to go with:

--------------------------------------------Handa--------------------------------------------------

----------------------Skriniar--------------De Vrij---------------D'Ambrosio/Bastoni------------------------

----Lazaro/Candreva---------Sensi--------Brozovic----------Barella-------------------------Asamoah-------

----------------------------------Lukaku----------------Lautaro-----------------------------------------------

I would personally start Bastoni in place of D'Ambro and I REALLY hope Conte does that. It's important to have a left footer on the left side (sort of no-brainer really).

Still a slim chance Vidal will be signed on loan, but he's not necessary IMO.

Anyway Forza Inter, Forza Lukaku and here's to a big season.

See less See more
Reactions: Firdaus
#2 ·
Great post. I'll say it right now though...I'd like Vidal in the team.

Can't wait to see the new lads play in their first competitive game. I really want to see Barella establish himself as an international name this season.

#3 ·
I'm definitely not against Vidal coming. He's a much, much better player than Gagliardini and Vecino.

However, I don't want him to block Sensi (FINALLY we have a real regista, and not a 2-way-mid pretending to be one in Brozo) or Barella's progress in the team.

I think this season should be all about Sensi-Brozo-Barella. Best midfield since the Treble, by a mile. Although on paper Kondogbia-Joao Mario-Banega looked good (little did we know....).

#4 ·
To your first point, Vidal would replace Sensi and not Barella. I don't think Sensi was purchased to be a definite starter but more of a rotation player who could get a strong run (like Dacourt, I guess). Barella on the other hand is our big hope for the future.

I wasn't thrilled about getting Banega. I never expected him to last or have the motivation and I don't think I've ever praised him on this site. K-Dog came as an unknown quantity for me and disappointed right out of the gate. JM on the other hand exceeded all of my expectations...and then did the reverse, for whatever reason.

#12 ·
To your first point, Vidal would replace Sensi and not Barella. I don't think Sensi was purchased to be a definite starter but more of a rotation player
LULZ

Did someone fire Conte and make you coach homeboy?

Sorry to burst you bubble Fird, but there are strong rumours (from CDS fro example) that Barella will be benched in favour of Vecino. At least initially. Or at least for Lecce. Barella spent plenty of time on the bench in the summer.

Conte may not think he's ready yet.

Sensi, on the other hand, played constantly throughout the summer and that wasn't due to a lack of other options (i.e. Galgiardini).

I would personally start Barella every game, but the indications are that Conte has other ideas...

#5 ·
Reactions: Jeffrey
#6 ·
Oh and Dacourt :heart:

Excellent free transfer that was.

Reactions: Firdaus
#8 ·
It can also be decided by the fans if someone throws a flare and kills/injures a player. Or it can be decided by red making us lose back to back season openers :scared: or by bad weather, after all juve are still complaining about that rainy day in Perugia in 2000 or the snow in Istanbul in 2013.

#10 ·
Or it can be decided by red making us lose back to back season openers
LOL

:shakehead:

I admit that I occassionally use the thread starting thing to poke fun at Nax, but that's the only reason (and it's clearly justified).

#15 ·
GDS, SKY ITALIA, Fox Italia, Europsport are all going with THE SAME probabile formazione:

https://www.gazzetta.it/calcio/serie-a/partita/inter-lecce/2021056/formazioni

Inter (3-5-2) probabile formazione: Handanovic; D’Ambrosio, de Vrij, Skriniar; Candreva, Vecino, Brozovic, Sensi, Asamoah; Lautaro, Lukaku.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I predicted, D'Ambrosio, Vecino, Candreva all starting :facepalm: :facepalm: If someone had told me those 3 would be starters back in June, I would have probably started following the Swiss League or something instead.

But I keep repeating my new mantra to myself: "It's Conte, it's Conte, it's Conte...."

Anyway, Godin, Barella and Lazaro will be integrated soon.... I hope

#17 ·
Expect a lot of crosses from the 2 wbs.

I don't understand why Barella won't start. It's not like he lacks experience. He is a NT player ffs.

Godin and Lazaro had fitness issues so they should not be rushed.

#20 ·
..but had we won EL or Coppa you wouldn't have cared at all as you don't value either, no?

As for the thread, I am passing the ball to Nacka. If he wants or agrees to do the Lecce thread, we can lock this.

If not, we can keep this open and hope the gods of football scaramanzia are kind on us mortal souls.

#21 · (Edited)
..but had we won EL or Coppa you wouldn't have cared at all as you don't value either, no?

True, I was more worried about a 1st round CL knockout. And doing poorly in the league, especially after the Sassuolo and Torino games last season.

I really didn't think Inter would struggle to make 4th but of course they did in the end. From 2nd Scudetto favourites to finishing behind Atalanta.

All thanks to Icardi and a lack of good midfielders.

Anyway, I think the squad is exponentially better this season. And Sanchez and Biraghi should be Inter players (or at least loanees) by Wednesday.

I really think this team can go places. Conte is not great in the CL and I sadly can't rule out a 1st round exit completely, but I won't be as upset if the team finishes 2nd in Serie A, which should be the goal, so the team can theoretically challenge properly for the title next season. A CL knockout would be bitter, but it is unfortunately likely with Conte in the first season.

A Coppa run would be nice if the squad isn't too stretched. But obviously not a priority.

#22 ·
Lecce: 'One Inter player worth our squad'
Football Italia

Lecce President Saverio Sticchi Damiani insists they have “nothing to lose against Inter. Just one of their players costs as much as our entire squad.”

It kicks off on Monday at 19.45 UK time (18.45 GMT), click here for a match preview.

“It doesn’t even seem real that we’re back in Serie A, because we are at least three years ahead of schedule,” Sticchi Damiani told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“In the summer of 2015, when my associates and I started this adventure, we lost our Serie C debut 3-1 at home against Andria. In my first as President, in December 2017, we beat Monopoli.

“After two consecutive promotions, we have the satisfaction of being protagonists in Serie A. Only a year ago, when we were new boys in Serie B, we aimed to climb to the top flight in three to five seasons.”

Lecce beat Inter 1-0 at San Siro in November 2000 with a goal from Davor Vugrinec and now they’ll be back at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.

“I watched that game on television and cheered so much for my friend Davor, who I am still in contact with. Now as then, we have nothing to lose.

“Antonio Conte is perhaps the best Coach in the world and Inter have exceptional champions at their disposal. Just one of their players is worth as much as our entire squad.

“Having said that, Fabio Liverani and Lecce will aim to impose our style of football.”

Damn how many chances did we miss that day..

I don't think I watched that match, didn't have much/full Serie A access back then.

Tardelli is 'infamous' for the Alaves, Milan and Parma debacles that season.. :(

#23 ·
I don't think I watched that match, didn't have much/full Serie A access back then.
I couldn't watch Serie A that season either. I don't think I ever saw Keane play for Inter ....

And I'm honestly not sure I saw Pirlo either. Bizarre to see those guys in Inter shirts.

#24 ·
I remember in 00-01 that we actually beat Roma in Milano (gresko assisted lol), and gave them a game at Olimpico, which they barely won. I also remember missing the infamous 6-0 derby because it was on a Friday (unusual for Serie A) and I had no idea it was on. I think my local team were playing that day in the African CL and I watched the african game outside (was against a team from Seychelles or something, called St Michel), returned home to see us losing big to Milan..much to my surprise (not much if any internet access for me in 2000)

We drew 3-3 with Alaves in Spain only to lose 2-0 at home with Cruyff's son beating us.

Cuper really took over a mess. Doesn't get enough credit because of his football style and winning nothing. But he made us competitive.

Btw a while back I watched a documentary of Robbie Keane and he spoke well of his time at Inter, that he benefited from training in Italy with experienced players etc..

#25 ·
#27 ·
Never mind you lazy assholes. I solved the situation myself.

You're welcome!

#26 ·
:D

Damn, we have an Egyptian song for kids with exactly the same music. I guess we stole it from the Italian version.

#31 ·
Even if there might be a correlation you can't prove causation. :err:

I plead the fifth regarding further discussion on the topic.

#32 ·
Dumbro, Candreva and Vecino in the starting lineup. I guess it's still 2018.

#33 ·
More like 2017

I warned you all about this

#34 ·
It's going to be interesting to see if Conte is able to change our style of play and make the team act as a cohesive unit.

#35 ·
Forza Inter :heart:

Vinci per noi

#39 ·
Phew

Skriniar clears off the line

#42 ·
Beckham-esque cross Candreva but Lautaro wastes it

#44 ·
Fair play to Lecce they are showing bravery, attacking

#128 ·
A bit early to say but imo Lecce won't get relegated
Remarkable result for them today

Torino 1-2 Lecce

We haven't won away to Torino in the past 3 seasons btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.