Xtratime Community banner

Brisbane Lions are the 2002 Premiers.

383 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Bandiera 
#1 ·
After a fiery contest between Collingwood and the Brisbane Lions the latter came out to show they really are the best side in the country.Its now back to back premierships for the Queenslanders and Congratulations To Leigh matthews and his brilliant team.
In my opinion it was a scrappy affair mainly due to the wintery weather of course and I thought the umpiring was quite poor given many decisions going to Collingwood a fair bit of inconsistency.
But overall Congrats to the Brissie Lions Commiserations to the Magpies and a deserved winner for the Norm Smith in Nathan Buckley.;)

"Who are the real fab four was it the Beatles or is it Vossy,Lappin,Akker and Blacky":D

#2 ·
Brisbane got the 2 decisions that mattered.

The free-kick that wasn't paid to Tarrant when White was all over him when Collingwood led in the final quarter after Fraser put them ahead ...

And the soft free-kick paid to Lynch in front of goal that put the Lions up just afterwards, and from there they were never headed.

#5 ·
Do you guys think this Brisbane team is better than the Hawthorn squad that dominated the 80's?

Just wandering, they seem to be a great team with a lot of talent, but if it was possible and these teams played each other, who would prevail?

Brisbane with their stars on one side or the Hawks with Breretton, Dunstall, Tuck, Ayres, Platten, Buckenarra etc.?

#6 ·
too difficult to say at this early stage, obviously they are one of th gr8 sides, only time will tell, essendon of 2000 was hailed by some as the gr8test ever and they only 1 one flag..........

personally though I think they are on their way to becoming the gr8test ever

#8 ·
Speaking of Hawthorn 80's or Coaches FC, a mixture of no cash and cant be stuffed saw me stay in on Friday night and watch FOX's footy marathon ...

This one passage of play in the 86 GF vs Carlton had Schwab, Wallace, Eade, Buckenara and Ayres all touch the ball ... fair dinkum! I was half expecting them to have a magnet-board in their spare-hand!

#9 ·
i must say, that was the best finals i've ever seen in my life
and Brisbane really deserved the victory, on the other hand Collingwood also deserved it too. too bad they couldn't share the title of "ALF Premiers" together

#10 ·
dyertribe said:
Speaking of Hawthorn 80's or Coaches FC, a mixture of no cash and cant be stuffed saw me stay in on Friday night and watch FOX's footy marathon ...

This one passage of play in the 86 GF vs Carlton had Schwab, Wallace, Eade, Buckenara and Ayres all touch the ball ... fair dinkum! I was half expecting them to have a magnet-board in their spare-hand!
They were great wernt they ;) ???

Almost made it hard not to support them in the 80's !!!

Funny enough I decided to support the Saints. & it stood me in good stead for Fremantle days :)

#11 ·
Yes the thing Is I constantly watch the repeats of that Hawthorn side and It never ceases to amaze me if they were or can be regarded the best of all time,Leigh matthews now with 7 flags 4 as a player and 3 as a coach.It's interesting now what will happen with the salary Cap Dessie headland is likely to head home and others will seek significant pay rises.
Perhaps the hardest thing to take for Collingwood was that they came so close and did'nt get blown away,You can argue the Rocca goal and so forth but there also was that disallowed combined Black andf Power goal and several controversial earlier frees to the Pies which resulted in goals.
brisbane's hard nut and resilience held out in the end and they're superb just that extra notch or two above the rest.The same teams will be up there again no doubting that.;)

#12 ·
WOT IS WAKELIN sooking abt??

he was CLEARLY!!! infringing and only had eyes for lynch, he was lucky not to have given away more frees........

Collingwood, they gave it a red hot go and good on them, a lot of guts and pride in the jumper.......

apparently headland will likely stay in brisbane unless WCE or freo can come up with a remarkable trade

Bradshaw would be a handy pick up, he weants out

#13 ·
tigerTUFF said:
WOT IS WAKELIN sooking abt??

he was CLEARLY!!! infringing and only had eyes for lynch, he was lucky not to have given away more frees........
I think Wallsy said it best when the slo-mo replay came up as Lynch was lining up ... something along the lines of you could argue it was there but with 5 blokes banging into each other on a wet day you could find 2 or 3 more.

TT, I just think it was harsh considering the umpires had respected the stakes and the conditions all day and they pay something as weak as that 15 metres out in front of goal in the last quarter of a Grand Final. Especially considering Tarrant wasn't paid a minute before up the other end for over the shoulder/in the back/holding the man.

#14 ·
In my opinion Collingwood can't complain about the frees with several going their way earlier on,Rocca's supposed goal was clarified as a point with the view behind the goal's proving that.

#15 ·
Lynchs was clearly a free kick. Wakelin didn't even have his eyes on the ball, his head was actually under Lynch's arm.

With the free kick that people believe should have been paided to Tarrant just a minute earlier, it was debatable but I guess because it looked like Pike had his eyes on the ball the free kick wasn't paid.

#16 ·
The Shev said:
With the free kick that people believe should have been paided to Tarrant just a minute earlier, it was debatable but I guess because it looked like Pike had his eyes on the ball the free kick wasn't paid.
It was White not Pike ...

#17 ·
The Umpires are far to inconsistent far to often,Giving certain free kicks and waving others on which are virtually identical.It seems that there is a fair decline in free kicks in recent years to the days of the eighties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.