UEFA Supercup in Craiova or Cluj-Napoca - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2015, 15:04 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Barcelona, Arsenal, Dinamo
UEFA Supercup in Craiova or Cluj-Napoca

I want to make a bet that till 2020 ( give or take 1 year p ) one of these two will host, even if we keep the topic dead for a while, let's see if I get it right in the future.
2018 should be chosen next spring before the 2016 finals take place. There are valuable candidates but the rules are much lighter than for EL and CL finals.

Both stadiums will perfectly qualify to host a UEFA Supercup, but our smart ass FRF guys should think of informing UEFA about them since they are perfect candidates for the game. Since leaving Monaco Louis II ( 18.500 ) the UEFA Supercup has taken place on stadiums located in places less likely to be able to host another type of final or in places usually ignored ( such as Wales, as Millenium could've hosted a CL final anytime since it was built but UEFA chose Glasgow, Manchester or London in Britain and now will finally do ).

2013: Eden Arena, Prague ( 21,000 )
2014: City Stadium, Cardiff ( 33,000 ) -Just streets away from Millennium, where the 2017 CL final will take place
2015: Dinamo Arena, Tbilisi ( 54,000 ) - This one could've hosted an EL Final
2016: Lerkendal Stadion, Trondheim (28,500 ) - Norway stronk
2017: Philip II Arena, Skopje ( 33,000 )

The Craiova stadium will probably be able to host anything from 2018 even if it's not yet built:

Capacity: 30.000

Cluj Arena is 30,200, built in 2011 funded just like Craiova by public funding and unfortunately it has a pretty useless athletics track ( they could've built a small arena with a few seats somewhere for this as the interest for these events is 0 ).

Cluj is also considered the top Romanian City in terms of Quality of Life average, for 2015 is in Europe the 29th ( above Paris, London, Barcelona, Lisbon, Budapest or Milan, the top 10 being: Zurich, Frankfurt, Edinburgh, Trondheim, Geneva, Vienna, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Berlin and Trieste ). In Romania, only Brasov was also in Top 50 and Bucharest is marginally outside this top.
Craiova on the other hand is, from the big cities, a much less lovable place, but in terms of football it was the first to have a team in the final phases of European competitions, was considered up until 10 years ago the 3rd most supported team ( more likely 4th after the Big 3 from Bucharest ) and even if it was named "The city of hunger" before 1989 now it's at an acceptable non-3rd world level.

The stadium will be 100% made for football and it can be a valid candidate, another advantage is that it has political support for it as Cluj is leaded by the opposition and it's closer to Bucharest if this would matter.
The press hasn't been talking about this at all because they usually take 10-15 years to realize in what world they live, but we all know it's perfectly plausible thing to write about since after all Bucharest will get some matches for Euro 2020 while the others only other chance would be if Romania would co-host a Euro, in which case, they would both need a 3.000-5.000 seat upgrade to get the group stage matches slot and is highly unlikely to happen soon.

FRF only has to propose as it's not that hard, easier than before when Bucharest got the 2012 Europa League way before the stadium and was a much bigger project.

Last edited by McLaren; August 27th, 2015 at 15:11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2015, 15:28
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Does Craiova have enough hotel capacity for 20,000 visitors?

I think Cluj + areas surrounding it might come close, but there's nothing around Craiova except some sort of weird desert and Strehaia.

Maybe Europeans can finally get their pocket money's worth (that got stolen to make gypsy palaces in Strehaia).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2015, 16:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, Romānia
Europeans love Cluj, which is a students city. I know Spanish Erasmus students that wanted to stay there forever lol.

I guess Cluj is more prepared to host this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2015, 16:36
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

I haven't been to Craiova in forever but yes, Cluj is one of the nicest cities in Romania. Along with Brasov, Sibiu and Sighisoara.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2015, 19:28
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Teams: U Craiova, Milan, WHU, Boca Juniors, TFC, HB, ROU, ITA
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestasuceava View Post
I haven't been to Craiova in forever but yes, Cluj is one of the nicest cities in Romania. Along with Brasov, Sibiu and Sighisoara.
Satu Mare and Constanta as well.

Craiova is certainly less ready than Cluj but still a great destination for football and with the new stadium coming up, think could have a chance for the future. The old/'classic' part of the city is very beautiful, beautiful square and all. Certain areas on the outskirts & pure residential areas are not the best. Although when I went this summer, my uncle had a place just outside the city where people go on weekends to chill by the forest and monastery, kind of like a camp place with cottages and stuff

The south of Romania is obviously going to be more poverty-ridden and less advanced than the northern/central parts of the country (also Bucharest of course, although some parts of there are also not so nice). But that doesn't make it an awful place to be, there are still plenty of gems out there and the University of Craiova is a centre of knowledge and past triumphs in Romanian achievement. Many graduates now living as expats round the world

forestasuceava: you prostitute yourself?
me: for the national team.. I would

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
My All-Time Romania unique XIs:
----------------Lung
Petrescu--Stefanescu--Popescu--Chivu
----------Boloni----Lupescu
Dumitrescu--Dobrin/Balaci--Hagi
-----------------Mutu
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2015, 21:31 Thread Starter
Star Player

lel, in terms of going somewhere else, as long as you're from Bucharest, there's really no other place in this country.
Cluj and Timisoara are in the 2nd category as you look for basic needs.

Any other city already has too many deficits.

I would say Sibiu would be a candidate for 2nd tier but it's too small.

There are many to go visit & spend time but Craiova and Constanta are "you can run but you can't hide" lol.

And also, Brasov except for the historic center is pretty much a ceausist dump at the level of Bucharest in 1990.

Timisoara also lost a lot because the good people of the city mostly left for the better west a lot. ( what they wanted to do since December 1, 1918 lol ).

Moldova is ruined totally while the north of it ( Bukovina ) is a really good place to visit if you want to go no contact with the world, as people are much better than in the rest of Moldova, the landscape is nice ( it will rain a lot though, but in short bursts ) and you can still feel it was part of Austria some time ago.

Last edited by McLaren; August 30th, 2015 at 21:37.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2015, 21:46
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

What do you consider 'basic needs'?

Also, I'm pretty sure Cluj is also Ceausist outside the center (Manastur, aka Transylvania's Harlem anyone?), whereas Timisoara was famous for its many potholes (even compared to the rest of the country)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2015, 22:22 Thread Starter
Star Player

The needs any 21st Century city has to offer... not to mention it's not a long history for Bucharest either when it comes to this.
The only argument against it, which will probably bring it down for good in a few years are the constant immigrants "tarani" from regions you wouldn't chose to go. You won't see people from Cluj or Timisoara here, and that's because it's either fine enough for them there or their destination is either Germany, England or the Paris metro while we get all the tarani .

I'm not fond of how Timisoara is now but it's definitely not so touched by communism as others ( especially the ones who were practically build from scratch by them like Pitesti ). They dealt with immigrants too and they didn't like it either, chances this motivated them even more to get fcuk out of there.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2015, 23:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, Romānia
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren View Post
Timisoara also lost a lot because the good people of the city mostly left for the better west a lot. ( what they wanted to do since December 1, 1918 lol )
Aren't some crazy gypsy gangs there in Timisoara? AFAIK some right-wing guys are protesting there from time to time.

It's sad this happens with such an elegant city.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2015, 23:51
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Teams: U Craiova, Milan, WHU, Boca Juniors, TFC, HB, ROU, ITA
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren View Post
lel, in terms of going somewhere else, as long as you're from Bucharest, there's really no other place in this country.
Cluj and Timisoara are in the 2nd category as you look for basic needs.

Any other city already has too many deficits.

I would say Sibiu would be a candidate for 2nd tier but it's too small.

There are many to go visit & spend time but Craiova and Constanta are "you can run but you can't hide" lol.

And also, Brasov except for the historic center is pretty much a ceausist dump at the level of Bucharest in 1990.

Timisoara also lost a lot because the good people of the city mostly left for the better west a lot. ( what they wanted to do since December 1, 1918 lol ).

Moldova is ruined totally while the north of it ( Bukovina ) is a really good place to visit if you want to go no contact with the world, as people are much better than in the rest of Moldova, the landscape is nice ( it will rain a lot though, but in short bursts ) and you can still feel it was part of Austria some time ago.
Many of the 'good' and intelligent people from Craiova and surrounding areas also left the country after the fall. Exhibit A, my dad.

I agree it's not on the level of Bucharest or even Cluj and Timisoara, but still a beautiful city with a lot of history (Pelendava ).

Everywhere in Romania has some ugly areas, even though I do agree the south is more 'dirty' (in villages especially) than the north and west, but there is still much beauty to behold there. The basic needs as you say are what lacking (will never forget my hospital experience in Craiova..) in comparison, but the country is still growing as are these smaller cities. What Romania really needs is to focus on building its infrastructure, build more highways linking these cities and regions more properly, pathetic how there's only one going from Bucharest to Pitesti I think it was, and after that going to Craiova, you're fvcked on smaller roads. Takes longer to travel than it should.

Anyways, getting back to the point. Yes these basic things are lacking, and hopefully these changes I've noticed over the last 5 years will continue to happen positively and will grow along with the country in time, but it's interesting to notice some of luxury (I mean this sparingly, not saying the people are living the dream or that they're rich..) and beauty already in existence there-- the largest natural park (with a zoo) in eastern Europe is in Craiova (Nicolae Romanescu). The centru istoric, Biserica Mantuleasa, Ion Oblemenco when it was still properly there (the new stadium should be a nice addition though), etc.

the areas between Ramnicu Valcea and Cozia are also quite nice, in landscape at least. Nice big mall in RV as well p and quite a few tourists, especially from Germany and the UK, in Cozia. Hot water/salt pools at this one hotel there too

But yes, for now, Craiova probably won't be ready for something like that. Let's see where the city and country are at in 20-30 years time...

forestasuceava: you prostitute yourself?
me: for the national team.. I would

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
My All-Time Romania unique XIs:
----------------Lung
Petrescu--Stefanescu--Popescu--Chivu
----------Boloni----Lupescu
Dumitrescu--Dobrin/Balaci--Hagi
-----------------Mutu

Last edited by Hagibest; August 30th, 2015 at 23:58.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2015, 18:10 Thread Starter
Star Player

When it comes to medical problems, many would probably choose Bucharest even if they live in others cities in the region, goes even for Craiova. The time you would spend on the way to Floreasca or Universitar from there might be time saved comparing to waiting at the local ones in line. Here Cluj is again the only that can match Bucharest, it is particularly renowned for oncology while on the West-border you always have Hungary next door.
Northern Oltenia is a tourist attraction yes mostly cause of the monasteries located all over starting with Hurezi while on the other said there are the Iron Gates, Cazanele but that's where Banat starts at Orsova.
And yeah, some progress has been made, but it's still a poor region of Romania along with many of Moldova, not the place you would move to, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GICA View Post
Aren't some crazy gypsy gangs there in Timisoara? AFAIK some right-wing guys are protesting there from time to time.

It's sad this happens with such an elegant city.
Well, it's elegance and color hasn't been lost, the fauna is indeed not anything close to what it has been.
Even though I rarely go there I have to admit I always feel an unique vibe you get nowhere else in Romania and at many points you feel like it's not Romania at all, most like walking in a quarter of Vienna or a garden in Paris.

Yeah, surely, just like Sibiu, the mass migration from Oltenia's "mahalale" of gypsies, not to mention the "Hunger trains" from Moldova before 1989 ruined stuff. Many of the reasons why oltenians themselves left Oltenia.

Also, the local patriotism of the people might be seen bad fit but it's just a natural thing happening in any place put in this situation, places in Spain included.

While zee Germans are now back living in Baden from where their ancestors came in the first place, or other regions of Germany, they are still paradoxically Romanians living abroad despite so many having to flee thru the Danube and Yugoslavia to achieve this before '89. Many, after 26 years are still in court to get the properties their parents or grandparents owned before '45.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in