Bahrain NT and the world cup playoffs - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2009, 19:04 Thread Starter
International

Bahrain NT and the world cup playoffs

In an Arab forum there should be some attention to what was a dramatic event: Saudi Arabia came 1 minute short of qualifying for the world cup playoff against New Zealand, Bahrain equalising in stoppage time and eliminating the Falcons on away goals rule.

Bahrain now takes on New Zealand for a spot in the world cup. I think for many outside the Middle East, Bahrain is the big mystery, the big unknown. We have all seen Saudi Arabia play at major tournaments, those following the Asia Cup will even know the Saudi league and some of the better players. Saudi football is not a big unknown globally. Bahrain however, is the opposite. Few people outside of the area will know a single player.

So how strong is this Bahraini team? Did they get this far mainly with luck and having gained the monumentum, or did they manage to (despite a really small population pool) build a team that is actually having quality enough to deserve a world cup ticket? Which are their players to watch out for, and what style do they play?

I think for many people the playoff will be very interesting, as neither New Zealand nor Bahrain are traditional football nations whose teams are well-known worldwide. However, the fact is one of both will play at the world cup... I am curious to see them , hope to find a TV channel or livestream broadcasting the Bahrain-NZL games. But can anyone inform me a bit about how strong this Bahraini team really is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2009, 00:52
Star Player

Teams: INTER,PALESTINE,UAE
Congrats to Bahrain , and il tawfeeq inshallah to Bahrian.

A team that always just came up short for any final.

I remeber them losing in the Asian Cup 2004 in the Semis against Japan , Losing in the Play Off last WC again Trinidad , and this finally they made it to the finals.

I actually was with Saudi Arabia , but it's nice to see Bahrian in the WC. But still there's NZ. Iraq found trouble against NZ in the Conf'd Cup , so I expect a very tough match ahead.

Inshallah kheir , Inshallah Bahrian beats NZ , and represent Asia and Arab very well.

Interista <3 Palestine.

Thank you, Massimo Moratti. Thank you so much. Number one Inter fan.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2009, 18:18 Thread Starter
International

How strong is the team though? Do they have a specific style of play? Any specific good players to pay extra attention to?

For us outside of the M.East, weŽve all seen the likes of Israel, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc very often (and those who follow the main tournaments globally now have been exposed to the talent of Iraq as well) but Bahrain is still the big unknown, we donŽt know what to expect. Is it a team relying on a tough organisation or a rather attacking team? Is there any players that are specifically good and definitely should be watched? Did the team qualify for this playoff just with a lot of luck or have their performances and displays been good troughout the entire qualification rounds?

It would be odd to see such a small country at the WC, but then Trinidad & Tobago are hardly any less small and they did quite OK (grabbed a point versus Sweden, only narrowly lost to England). So for sure Bahrain would not be the ugly duck on the world cup.

I am actually quite interested to see this playoff live if there is a live stream. I like discovering new teams, seeing new faces, new sets of fans ... Both Bahrain and New Zealand are new discoveries for me, so regardless who wins the playoff IŽll be watching their games at the world cup with big interest.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2009, 23:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
I believe Bahrain has a chance of going to South Africa. The weather will play a rule in their qualification if the humidity and heat is as hard as usual.

Their team is also good in the away games so you will never know.

Should be an interesting week for the international football in Asia and S. America.

Vamos Argentina!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 11:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
today @ 3:30 pm gmt

bahrain vs new zealand

all the best to bahrain.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 15:04 Thread Starter
International

Is this game live on the web somewhere?

I root for New Zealand but wouldnŽt mind Bahrain on the WC neither, both are novelties so both would get my sympathy. The only reasons why I root for NZ are that I find it unfair Oceania doesnŽt get a direct WC slot. And the fact that I once was madly in love with a Kiwi girl and that my favourite club KV Oostende once had a NZ international in the team.

But in a way, I wish both teams good luck and find it a pity one of them will have to stay home. Slight preference for NZ but if Bahrain qualifies I will wish them best of luck in South Africa.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 17:30
Rising Star

Teams: Romania NT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 18:28 Thread Starter
International

Just watched the second half, thanks

Fair result as both sides created some good chances and I thought both teams looked decent, not the ugly ducklings some people thought theyŽd be. Both Bahrain and NZ showed they do have a few skillful players and that theyŽre not whipping boys. I look forward to the return game in Wellington, I think NZ have a slight advantage now and the moral high, on the other hand a Bahraini goal would probably make them very insecure and numb them. The team scoring first in Wellington is probably going to make it in the end. IŽd say NZ slightly in advantage, but it remains a very close tie.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 19:01
Forum Manager
Legend

Bahraini deserved a one goal lead at the second half. Newzealand are absolutely average and should take care at their own turf since Bahrainis have a good habit of clinching victories away from home.

Vamos Argentina!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 19:21 Thread Starter
International

What I saw was quite in balance IŽd say. Bahrain tested the goalie several times, a few shots narrowly over the bar ... But then what about the Kiwi retro and that last shot that missed the post only very narrowly? It will be a very close encounter in Wellington, I am not sure if NZ has any fanatic support to create an intimidating atmosphere but indeed Bahrain has done the trick away from home a few times already and the Kiwis should watch out for an early goal. The team scoring goal qualifies IŽd say.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 19:46
Forum Manager
Legend

Newzealand had some shots away from the goal, did not think they troubled the goal keeper very much unlike Bahrainis who had two clear cut chances, one was with an open goal but chosed the post to send the ball at.

The Kiwis are true atheltics but that is it. They have no skills whatsoever, ordinary team and good goal keeper.

Anyhow, any of them making it to the WC will get their asses whipped for sure. Both teams are so close to the level Jordan's NT are at the moment

Vamos Argentina!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2009, 20:20
Forum Manager
Legend

We are that bad though!

Our NT is teh worst I have watched in years!

I just wish they could learn from our basketball NT! Those our real heros!

Vamos Argentina!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2009, 01:15 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Newzealand had some shots away from the goal, did not think they troubled the goal keeper very much unlike Bahrainis who had two clear cut chances, one was with an open goal but chosed the post to send the ball at.

The Kiwis are true atheltics but that is it. They have no skills whatsoever, ordinary team and good goal keeper.

Anyhow, any of them making it to the WC will get their asses whipped for sure. Both teams are so close to the level Jordan's NT are at the moment
This actually was the reserve goalie of New Zealand. Their first choice goalie, Glen Moss, was suspended. Their reserve did quite well though.

The overhead kick from Killen was a very clear chance, if that was 5 cm more to the left the Bahrain goalie did not even stand a chance. Bahrain had their chances, but so did NZ. It was a very close tie, but let me say I thought it was entertaining enough. Bad teams or whipping boys? Both teams showed some skills, maybe not world class but these were definitely not bad teams that will lose all games 5-0 in South Africa.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2009, 14:35
David Villa is a
Legend

Teams: Valencia CF
GOOOOOOOOOO BAHRAIN!!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Quote:
VICENTE CRACK
Quote:
Amunt Valencia CF"
امونت فالنسيا
Quote:
Join La Liga Match Prediction League - here
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2009, 07:52
International
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United and England
It was pretty close in the first leg - still too hard to call for the return leg. Depends on how well Bahrain cope with the conditions. It's spring over here which, in keeping with tradition, is still cold with a fair bit of rain. Wellington is a very windy city and the stadium is a bit of a wind tunnel. It's going to be interesting. I'll be there as well.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2009, 22:26
International
World Class Player

Tough luck Bahrain - you had good supporters and you played some nice footy, but NZ wanted it more. 1-0 was a fair result I thought. New Zealand off to the world cup for only the second time in our history!!!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old November 17th, 2009, 06:15
Forum Manager
Legend

Congrats guys, best of luck in the WC, you need it

Vamos Argentina!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old November 17th, 2009, 22:43
International
World Class Player

hehe - yes, if we score a goal, I'll be chuffed, if we got a point - I'd be ecstatic.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2009, 11:39
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan, Iraq NT
Taking nothing away from NZ, but damn what the hell was that from Bahrain?

the quality of there play was like how we play here in the streets: no structure, no harmony, no gameplan

“ I have played with many defenders, like Thuram, Cannavaro, Pique, Puyol, I have played with many fantastic central defenders, but this player is like all of them put together.” - Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Thiago Silva

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in