Palestine NT: The Green and Whites - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2007, 08:32 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano
Palestine NT: The Green and Whites

The Palestine national football team is the national team of the Palestinian Football Federation, representing Palestine.[1] It is not to be confused with the Palestine/Eretz Israel national football team, which existed during the British Mandate of Palestine. Both the Israel Football Association and the Palestine Football Federation count the five international matches played by PFA between 1934–40 in their record.

The current Palestine Football Federation was founded in 1962, but wasn't recognized by FIFA until 1998, after the creation of the Palestinian Authority.

It reached an all-time high position of 115 in the FIFA ranking system in April 2006 after seven years of progression from 191st in August 1999. This is considered impressive as the team has no home fixtures, playing most of their games in the Qatar capital, Doha and training in the Egyptian town of Ismailia.

----

Discuss

Formerly known as:Suazo19

Also known as: MilfordCubicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:40
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
I heard they were raising an issue to FIFA, because the Israeli authorities didn't let them take some of their squad members who reside in Occupied Territory & Gaza to Singapore.

Palestine NT failed to show up on the pitch in Singapore, the latter being awarded a 3-0 victory by FIFA. (Singapore won the 1st leg 4-0).

Shame, such stories really piss me off

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 11:12
Legend

They took this to FIFA Haytham but weren't successful. Apparently 18 members of your squad not being allowed to travel from Gaza is not an acceptable reason for not turning up
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...2093559409.htm

It's like when the U-19's had a tour of Nothern England arranged where they would play at Premiership grounds like Ewood Park and the UK refused to allow them entry because they were too poor and likely to abscond - such a shameful, shameful decision as was my letter from the UK Visas department!

Out beyond ideas
of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

All I possess in the presence of death
is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2008, 21:20
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Palestine to play 1st match in home stadium
source: AP

Palestine will play its first international soccer game at home, an Oct. 26 exhibition against Jordan in Gaza City.

For 10 years the team has been playing “home” games in Jordan and Qatar. But its stadium has now been upgraded to meet standards set by soccer’s governing body.

The renovated Ram Stadium will be opened by FIFA president Sepp Blatter. He also will inaugurate a second grass soccer field in Palestinian territory, at Majed Al-Asaad in El Bireh.

“It is very important to FIFA that countries are able to play their home matches in their own stadium,” FIFA spokesman Pekka Odriozola said Friday.

Palestine is rated 180th of 207 nations in the FIFA rankings, peaking at No. 115 in April 2006.

It has played home games in the last three World Cup qualifying competitions in Doha, Qatar, and used a training camp at Ismailia in Egypt.

Travel for away games also has been complicated. Palestine failed to arrive for a recent World Cup qualifier in Singapore because of restrictions imposed by Israel—18 players and officials living in the Gaza Strip were denied travel permits. Israel had declared Gaza “hostile territory” and allowed only humanitarian hardship cases to leave.

FIFA denied a request from the Palestinian federation to reschedule and declared the game a forfeit and 3-0 win for Singapore, eliminating Palestine 7-0 on total goals.

-----------------------------------------------

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old October 24th, 2008, 08:21
International

Great news for Palestine. I wonder though why they not play this in Ramallah? The West Bank is generally a lot safer than Gaza, and especially travel restrictions are less severe. West Bank is accessible not that difficultly via either Jerusalem or Jordan, while Gaza is basically cut off from the rest of the world due to the bordercrossing with Egypt being closed and the only airport (Yasser Arafat Intl) being out of service for the moment. Teams wanting to play in Gaza will need a lot of diplomatic work to get there and back, the territory is basically cut off from the rest of the world. In that perspect, Ramallah or Hebron would have been easier options, but maybe it is of huge symbolic nature to play this game right in Gaza? It is great there is an end in sight to the exiled status of the Palestine team though
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2008, 12:55
Legend

The friendly finished 1-1 with Jordan with Ahmed Kashkash scoring shortly after kick-off. Jordan equalised in the second half.

CP - the only regulation size stadium that the Palestinian FA has is in a West Bank surburb of East Jerusalem and it is fitting that their national stadium is in their capital city as most countries have their stadium in their capital city. 5 of the Gaza based players were able to travel however the captain wasn't given a permit.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-27-00-20-21

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2008, 13:21
International

I was surprised even that Jordan got a visa for the game in Gaza. Right now most regular persons not involved in human aid etc simply get refused visas to visit Gaza, for example my embassy would not issue such visas (you can travel to Israel with a Belgian passport though without prior visa arrangement, and usually the West Bank is OK as well although the Belgian embassy advises against it ...). Gaza is a bit cut off from the world since the airport closed down and Egypt closed the last bordercrossing, the people in Gaza are more or less trapped in that narrow strip. I am surprised the Jordanian players received visas while most travellers cannot get it.

PS capital of Palestine is Ramallah I thought, and not Gaza??

PS II was the game in Gaza or West Bank now? I read first that it would be in Gaza, but now this article states it was in the West Bank?
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2008, 11:24
Legend

No the game was in the East Jerusalem surburb of Ram which is in the West Bank side of the separation wall. And there is no way the game would have been played in Gaza because a) Jordan wouldn't have gone (Hamas held territory) and b) FIFA wouldn't have paid £4m to refurb the stadium (Hamas held territory) and c) Abbas wouldn't have gone (Hamas held territory).

Ramallah isn't the capital of Palestine, Jerusalem is

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2008, 11:34
Legend

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7692735.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7691924.stm

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2008, 20:33
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
No the game was in the East Jerusalem surburb of Ram which is in the West Bank side of the separation wall. And there is no way the game would have been played in Gaza because a) Jordan wouldn't have gone (Hamas held territory) and b) FIFA wouldn't have paid £4m to refurb the stadium (Hamas held territory) and c) Abbas wouldn't have gone (Hamas held territory).

Ramallah isn't the capital of Palestine, Jerusalem is
Sure about the latter? I dont ask this for political debate but purely for my deep interest in the Middle East. Jerusalem is totally annexed by Israel (including East Jerusalem, something they would have better not done as it leads to a lot of conflicts) and the main seats of the Palestinian government are in Ramallah I thought?
I could be wrong though.

I am an Israel fan (see profile) but wish the Palestinian NT well as well. I have always said a two state solution would be the only way to long lasting peace: an Israeli state next to the Palestinian state, and just get along as neighbours. Jerusalem could get a special status that both Palestinians and Israelis can live there without any restrictions. Anyways, I may support the Israeli team but I wish the Palestinian team best of luck as well, and I think it is really fantastic their exile has come to an end. Hopefully they can play their competitive games in Ram as well rather than needing to play their qualifiers in Doha. So best of luck, Palestine
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2008, 20:39
International

One question: the article said mainly men were in the stadium. Are women allowed to go to football games in Palestine? As far as I know the West Bank is very moderate and progressive compared to for example KSA and Kuwait, so I would have expected little problems for female fans who wanted to see the game.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2008, 20:51
Legend

Quote:
I am an Israel fan (see profile) but wish the Palestinian NT well as well. I have always said a two state solution would be the only way to long lasting peace: an Israeli state next to the Palestinian state
And where would the Israel state be?

I want my land back.

RIP MK-Inter

Traitors of forum #73
EclipsE
King Kenny7
Famigerato19
Crazy4TheCrew (Loco4LosChe)
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2008, 13:19
Legend

Yalla ya shabab - lets try and not turn this into a debate on the two-state solution and keep it on the Palestinian NT before Hijazzey closes this thread down

Regarding women in the stadium - I think it's probably due to the fact that the stadium only has 7,000 seats and not because women are not allowed to go to the game. Pictures from the BBC site show women watching the game from a roof of a nearby house. But culturally football is more a man's past-time than woman's (and this global culture!), I still remember going to games when I was a kid and my sister and I were the only girls seated near us.

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2008, 19:25
International

OK, I thought it may be forbidden like in KSA or Iran. Unfortunately yes, football is regarded a mens sport globally. Totally wrong IMO, I been to many womens games and always saw some great technical players.

Natalya, I replied to your PM. Sorry if I went slightly into politics there. I basically just wanted to explain that I support both Israel and Palestine in their existance and wish Palestine its sovereignity. I thought I would just explain because maybe some find it weird that I have Israel NT listed in my profile and still have some well wishing for Palestine. Basically I wanted to explain that despite support for Israel, I also wish all the best to Palestine both in football and elsewhere. Sorry if it sounded political, was not my intention.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2009, 15:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Israeli airstrikes demolish Gaza's International Football Stadium

Bethlehem – Ma’an – Gaza’s International Football Stadium was bombed Friday, destroying the facility, located in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip.

The facility was the headquarters of the Palestinian Football Association, build partially with funds from the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)’s Goal project, as well as contributions from the French and Saudi Arabian government.

The 2.5 million US dollar facility, built in 2002 and opened in 2005, housed the men’s and women’s football teams. It also housed the technical and administrative center of the Palestinian Football Association (PFA).

Along with the International stadium, Israeli air and artillery strikes have damaged several sports clubs and youth organization headquarters.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
Quote:
Yalla ya shabab - lets try and not turn this into a debate on the two-state solution and keep it on the Palestinian NT before Hijazzey closes this thread down

Regarding women in the stadium - I think it's probably due to the fact that the stadium only has 7,000 seats and not because women are not allowed to go to the game. Pictures from the BBC site show women watching the game from a roof of a nearby house. But culturally football is more a man's past-time than woman's (and this global culture!), I still remember going to games when I was a kid and my sister and I were the only girls seated near us.
I have watched the game on TV and there was a good number of girls between th crowds.

Vamos Argentina!
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2009, 12:16
Legend

Good to see Mo. Ok, question for you - if Jordan plays Palestine - who do you support?

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2009, 21:24
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
http://www.frank-jasperneite.de/jahr...bMar160109.htm

A report (in German) of a first league game played in the new national stadium, there are pictures too when you scroll down .
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2009, 22:57
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
Quote:
Good to see Mo. Ok, question for you - if Jordan plays Palestine - who do you support?
Who do you think?!:rollani: Of course JORDAN! I love this country more tan anything in the world.

Vamos Argentina!
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2009, 17:51
Legend

Ya 7aram! Inta Filistini!!! Ma b7abak Filastin?

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in