Iraq NT: Lions of Mesopotamia - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2007, 08:08 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano
Iraq NT: Lions of Mesopotamia

The Iraqi national football team (Arabic: منتخب العراق لكرة القدم) is the national team of Iraq and is controlled by the Iraq Football Association. They are the reigning champions of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).

During the rule of the government of Saddam Hussein, Saddam's son, Uday Hussein, was in charge of the Iraqi Olympic Committee and, by extension, the national football team. Under Uday's leadership, motivational lectures to the team included threats to cut off players' legs, while missed practices resulted in prison time and losses resulted in flogging with electric cable or baths in raw sewage. Despite the war in Iraq, the football team, then guided by Adnan Hamad, continued playing international tournaments with good results. Its Under-23 team qualified for the 2004 Summer Olympics and then represented the country in the Asian Cup, where reached the quarterfinals, as they had done in 1996 and 2000. At the 2004 Olympics, Iraq defeated Portugal, Costa Rica, and Australia finally coming 4th. After winning the 2007 AFC Asian Cup Iraq was nominated for the Prince of Asturias Award.

----

Discuss

Formerly known as:Suazo19

Also known as: MilfordCubicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2007, 18:17 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano
Iraq U18's tied with the India U18's today, KUTGW Iraq

Formerly known as:Suazo19

Also known as: MilfordCubicle
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:44
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Sorry, what's KUTGW?

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2007, 18:08
Seis Copas
International

Younes Mahmoud!

------------------------

Iraq's Younes Mahmoud Khalef Wins Giacinto Facchetti Award
05/11/2007 15:55

Younes Mahmoud Khalef has won the 2007 "Giacinto Facchetti" award for inspirational footballing figures.

Iraq's Younes Mahmoud Khalef has won the second annual Giacinto Facchetti award.

The 10,000 euro prize, awarded each year to an inspirational figure "who embodies the spirit of football", was created in the honour of the eponymous former Inter player and president, who died last year after a battle with cancer.

2006's winner, former Vicenza hitman Julio Gonzalez, was given the accolade after refusing to give up professional football after suffering from the loss of an arm.

Now, with Khalef having led his team to victory in 2007's Asian Cup final against Saudi Arabia, the panel of four judges have deemed him the ideal winner.

Candido Cannavò, Gianfelice Facchetti, Gianni Petrucci and Carlo Verdelli decided that the Iraqi striker's services to the game, made in spite of the state of his country, merited the award.

The Gazzetta dello Sport and Facchetti's widow, Giovanna, arranged a gala event in Italy at which the player accepted his prize.

He remarked, "It is an important day for me.

"This prize is a huge thing for me which I will always remember."

Mahmoud, 24, plays his club football for Qatari side Al-Gharafa.

Source
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2007, 01:33
Seis Copas
International

Iraq beat Saudi Arabia 3-0 to lead the group & qualify to the 2nd round of AFC U-16 Championship 2008.
http://www.the-afc.com/english/compe...ls&newsID=9429

Highlights of the the win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBXigSLr5g

Keep it up shabab wa inshAllah best of luck in the 2nd round!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 20:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Quote:
FC Twente signs Nashat Akram

19-05-2009

FC Twente has strengthen its players group for next season with the Iraqi international Nashat Akram. After the medical inspection and the work permit has been issued, the 24 year-old midfielder will sign a three-year contract with FC Twente with the option for another season.

Nashat Akram, 75 caps, comes from Al-Gharafa, Qatar. Before that, he played in the United Arabian Emirates, Saoudi Arabia and in the Iraqi league. In 2007, Akram was nominated for the Asian Footballer of the year voting and last season he signed a contract with Manchester City. However, In England his work permit was denied.

Nashat Akram is happy with the contract: “A dream comes true to play in Europe. FC Twente is a growing club with a great trainer. Next month I will compete in the Confederations Cup with Iraq in South Africa and I am looking forward to start at FC Twente after that”, according to the captain of the Iraq national team.

Trainer/Coach Steve McClaren: “We are following Nashat a year already. I know him since his trial at Manchester City. He is a young and very talented player, who has gained a lot of experience for his age. Last year it did not work out to sign him and therefore I am happy that we made it now . The Dutch league will be a challenge for him.”

Nashat Akram will join the Iraq squad from now on in the preparations towards the Confederations Cup. From the beginning of July Akram will be part of the players group of FC Twente. Then he will also be officially presented.
so what's he like? and what kind of midfielder?

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2009, 18:41
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
so what's he like? and what kind of midfielder?
hes like gago

maybe like guti without the temper. he defends though. makes passes, looks for teh through ball, likes to dictate play. i said gago because he likes to drop back and get the ball and spray it out. hes also got an amazing shot on him.

city wanted to sign him during eriksons time but he couldnt get a visa.

"A problem in my heart compels me to retire but my heart is still beating Real Madrid"

Ruben De la Red

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 00:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
hes like gago

maybe like guti without the temper. he defends though. makes passes, looks for teh through ball, likes to dictate play. i said gago because he likes to drop back and get the ball and spray it out. hes also got an amazing shot on him.

city wanted to sign him during eriksons time but he couldnt get a visa.
Sounds good.
How highly is he rated in Asian football btw? is he seen as one of the big names in it or does he still have some way to go?

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 02:08
Xtratime Legend

The guy has the potential to be a great player, i watched him in the Asian Cup in 2007, he was wanted by a lot of EPL sides but couldn't get a work permit i believe. Great skill, vision and composure on the ball.

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2009, 01:21
Seis Copas
International

Quote:
Sounds good.
How highly is he rated in Asian football btw? is he seen as one of the big names in it or does he still have some way to go?
He has great potential and can dictate the game, and just like Redhat mentioned he got quite a powerful shot. I'm so glad he finally left those shitty Gulf leagues and decided to better himself and improve his game in Europe.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2009, 18:28
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid
Quote:
Sounds good.
he was voted either best or 2nd best asian player in 2007. everyone knows about him, hes one of the highest earning foreigners in the Gulf leagues coz he played in saudi and qatar as well as UAE actually, bar the guys that come directly from europe ofcourse.

as i said City wanted to sign him but he couldnt get visa.

"A problem in my heart compels me to retire but my heart is still beating Real Madrid"

Ruben De la Red

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2010, 20:07
Expecto patronum!
Legend

Teams: Macedonia, Inter, Rabotnichki
probably Iraq will play an away friendly vs Macedonia, but I still dunno know the date
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2010, 08:40
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
hi mate,
it`s gonna be a good one for both sides, iraq nt need to warm themselves well once again. the team is preparing for the asian cup 2011 qualifying games. anyway, i`ll check the date.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in