The Asian road to the World Cup 2010 South Africa - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2007, 12:25 Thread Starter
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
The Asian road to the World Cup 2010 South Africa

The Asian road to the World Cup 2010 South Africa

The Asian Football Confederation has been given 4.5 places in the final stages of the 2010 World Cup. 43 nations will battle it out for those places. Laos, Brunei and the Phillipines have turned down the opportunity to qualify.

Australia will compete in the AFC for the first time following their move from Oceania in 2006. Australia have already competed in the 2007 Asian Cup.

The 43 nations competing from Asia have been seeded according to their performance in the 2006 World Cup. The seedings are as follows:

1. Australia 2. South Korea 3. Saudi Arabia 4. Japan 5. IR. Iran 6. Bahrain 7. Uzbekistan 8. Kuwait 9. North Korea 10. China 11. Jordan 12. Iraq 13. Lebanon 14. Oman 15. UAE 16. Qatar 17. Syria 18. Palestine 19. Thailand 20. Turkmenistan 21. Tajikistan 22. Indonesia 23. Hong Kong 24. Yemen 25. Vietnam 26. Kyrgyzstan 27. Maldives 28. India 29. Singapore 30. Sri Lanka 31. Malaysia 32. Chinese Taipei 33. Bangladesh 34. Macau 35. Pakistan 36. Afghanistan 37. Mongolia 38. Guam 39. Nepal 40. Cambodia 41. Bhutan 42. Myanmar 43. Timor-Leste

Asian World Cup qualifying will be a four round process plus a play-off for the 5th best Asian qualifier. The 5th best Asian qualifier plays the winner of Oceania qualifying for a place in the finals.

The draw for the Asian World Cup 2010 qualifying first round was made on August 6th 2007 at the AFC house in Bukit Jalil Malaysia. The top 5 seeds were given a bye to the third round. The first round consists of a 2-leg knockout tournament. The 1st leg will take place on the 8th October 2007. The 2nd leg matches will be played on the 28th October 2007.

Asia 2010 World Cup Qualifying Round 1
1st leg 8/10/07
2nd leg 28/10/07

Pakistan v Iraq
Uzbekistan v Chinese Taipei
Thailand v Macau
Sri Lanka v Qatar
China v Myanmar
Bhutan v Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan v Jordan
Vietnam v United Arab Emirates
Bahrain v Malaysia
Timor-Leste v Hong Kong
Syria v Afghanistan
Yemen v Maldives
Bangladesh v Tajikistan
Mongolia v North Korea
Oman v Nepal
Palestine v Singapore
Lebanon v India
Cambodia v Turkmenistan
Guam v Indonesia

Of the 19 winners in the first round, the 8 lowest seeded teams must play in the second round. The remaining 11 higher seeds go straight into the third round.

Asia 2010 World Cup Qualifying Round 2
1st leg 8/10/07
2nd leg 28/10/07

Seed 17 v Seed 14
Seed 16 v Seed 12
Seed 19 v Seed 15
Seed 18 v Seed 13

Asia 2010 World Cup Qualifying Round 3
The top 5 seeds join the 11 winners from round 1 and the 4 winners from round 2 in the third round. The 20 qualifiers for the third round will be drawn into 5 groups of 4 teams. In the group stage the teams in each group play each other home and away. The top 2 from each group qualify for the fourth round.

Asia 2010 World Cup Qualifying Round 4
The 10 teams making it through the third round will be split into 2 groups of 5 teams. The teams from each group will play each other home and away with the top 2 from each group qualifying for the 2010 World Cup final stages.

Asia 2010 World Cup Qualifying play-offs
The teams finishing 3rd from each group in the fourth qualifying round play each other home and away to determine overall 5th place in Asian World Cup qualifying. The winner from this play-off will play the winner of Oceania World Cup qualifying for a berth in the 2010 World Cup finals.

"You don't win La Liga if you don't beat FC Barcelona. That's the whole point of winning La Liga in the first place."

Last edited by Assim; August 12th, 2007 at 12:37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2007, 10:29
Rookie

Guam has resigned
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 04:50
nomad
International

Teams: Liverpool FC
In all honesty, I still don't get it while Asia gets such a generous share of spots in the WC while Africa only gets the same (Or is it restored back to 5 now? Might be confused there)

YNWA
Omar
Follow me on twitter @omardxb
My dA page

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 08:45
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Thanks for that, Assim. India have lately been part of the "Fifa rebuilding" project, and they look like they've slightly gotten their act together. Football is gaining more and more popularity there, so I don't think they will be pushovers for Lebanon.

Having said that, ever since last summer, the Lebanese Football FA has been in tatters, and football (all sport for that matter) was the least of everyone's worries amidst the destruction we had during the war. There ws even rumors of Lebanon not participating to begin with.

But then again, there's always room for success. Take basketball for example, the Lebanese team finished runners-up in Asia recently, losing out to Iran in the final...and this was a team that wasn't even going to participate, they only had a couple week's training!!

So...hopefully we'll be full of surprises. Best of luck to the rest of the Arabs too :hopeful:

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 09:39
nomad
International

Teams: Liverpool FC
A personal opinion on India: I think they're starting to lose patience with their cricket team and are starting to look elsewhere and try other sports, football is not as popular obviously, but they have the potential I guess...

YNWA
Omar
Follow me on twitter @omardxb
My dA page
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2007, 14:22
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid
Oman won the first leg 2-0
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2007, 01:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Have the dates been set for the third round of qualifying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in