good news for Saudi Arabia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2007, 11:50
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Saudi football has alot of potential. I don't believe in hiring a foreign coach to make them play a certain style. Someone with experience, selects the right players, and is a logical tactician. Easier said than done - not that I follow Saudi football, but I'm sure there's one or two Saudi coaches that can take up such a responsibility free of politics. i.e. the FA forces the coach to choose players who don't warrant a call up, but because of "wasta" influence he gets called up...this happens quite commonly with the Lebanese National team during the 1990s when they actually began to take football a bit seriously...

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2007, 23:57
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Not good news. But does it matter anymore? It's become routine for the idiots at SAFF to make such stupid decisions. I can't say I was a fan Paqueta, but there was no reason for his sacking (there was even less for his predecessor Calderon).

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old March 19th, 2007, 06:30
Rising Star

Teams: Saudi NT and Hilal
I don't know why we Saudi fans care about our NT anymore.

We have arguably the best group of players ever, SAFF has plenty of funding, so why are we lagging so much behind not only Europe and S.America, but even when compared to S. Korea, Japan, and now Australia?

I say we deserve nothing more as long as we are passive and only bitch about things like shy girls allowing the immature teenagers/drunkards running SAFF keep destroying our football.

Worse is the press with its hidden agendas. I seriously believe that most of these journalists are paid by SAFF or others to stir problems. It makes no sense that they all seem to agree on firing the coach before the deed is done when: 1- They always disagree between themselves on most other issues. 2- They all usually write about the merits of being patient with coaches and wait for 2-3 years before getting results. Suddenly they all change their minds, and after the appointment of the new coach they ask for patience and the cycle keeps going.

But then who is this new coach? who was Calderon, Paqueta, Van Der Lim, etc.. They were nobodies, at best third rate coaches. I understand if SAFF appoint a top caliber coach (which they can easily find the funding for) like Parreira and then he fails (I don't think he failed). At least you can say, well they did their best. But hiring a coach with no track record and then after a few months you are surprised that the results are not there. Well whoever hired him and whoever approved the hiring should go first. Doesn't that make sense? HR is science. Companies pay top dollars to get a qualified HR manager. If it is simply picking the best resume or the cheapest alternative, well anyone can do that.

Last edited by Dossary; March 19th, 2007 at 06:36.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old March 19th, 2007, 19:04
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Hi Adel,

I wouldn't say Paqueta is a nobody, he had a good record with the Brazilian youth teams. But I agree with you general point that no top coach with any sense of dignity, in their right mind even consider the Saudi job. The way I see it, they're either greedy and don't mind the humiliation in return for the big sack of money, washed up, or in rare cases (like Calderon) looking for their first break.

However I don't think the problem is with the coaches, so it's not an HR issue. The problem is in the organisation itself. They can bring in Wenger or Hiddink or Ferguson etc.. the results would be the same. Actually I think Calderon in particular did a fantastic job considering the interference he faced in squad selection. He somehow managed to give the team a shape and system.

As for the media, all that matters to them is glorifying their club, and they stoop to extreme levels of myopia and even racism to push that agenda. The national team is an extension of that as far as their concerned, nothing more than a vehicle for their favourite player to star and shine, and should that not happen (bad team performances or player not picked) then it's war against the coach until they can put in a man who plays their man in the leading role. But they know how the bread is buttered, hence they make sure they heap praise on the princes of SAFF and any decisions or opinions they make, that includes any new hire they bring in, even if they hate him. They know to wait a month or two before beginning the offensive.

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2007, 12:45
Rising Star

Teams: Saudi NT and Hilal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJazzey

However I don't think the problem is with the coaches, so it's not an HR issue. The problem is in the organisation itself.
Exactly, I was just trying to make a point. According to SAFF all these coaches were fired because the were "unsatisfactory". Well, if that's true, then why did you hire them from the beginning? Hence you do not know how to pick coaches, so you should leave.

The strange thing is that most of the Saudi princes are strong and enforce their will. Not our friends in SAFF. a typical Prince with a vision as head of SAFF would act like his uncles/cousins the regional governors and enforce his views after hearing informed opinions. Any journalist who overdoes it attacking coaches or whatever can easily be suspended. If needed the whole sports section of a paper can be shutdown. Isn't that how things are done in KSA? Needless to say I'm not condoning that, but extreme measures are probably necessary to end this chaotic situation. Akher Al-elaj Al-kayy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2007, 12:39
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
They are saying that the JFF will hire him soon. I mean the Jordanian football federation. Personally, I do not think he is a bad coach but I would take Maccala any day of the week.

Vamos Argentina!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in