Figo to join Al Ittihad in January? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 03:55 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Figo to join Al Ittihad in January?

Figo set for January exit – reports Wednesday 27 December, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter midfielder Luis Figo might leave the San Siro outfit in January to move to Saudi Arabian club Al Ittihad, according to reports in Portugal.

The player is not happy with the limited playing time granted by Coach Roberto Mancini and is reportedly close to finalising an 18-month deal with the Jeddah club, for around Ł3.2m.

The daily newspaper Correio da Manha suggests that the move may take place as early as next week and the speculation is also being fuelled by the Arabian club’s website, which states that ‘Figo will play for the side from January 5.’

José Peseiro, the Coach of Al Hilal, currently top of the table, also confirmed that the 34-year-old player is close to starting a new adventure far from Europe.

“All television programs are opening with this news. Everyone has gone crazy here, if the deal will be finalised, as it seems, our championship will have a player that has no rivals,” explained the tactician.

Figo, who has played 15 matches so far in the season with an average 65 minutes per game, offered a good performance against Atalanta last Saturday, but this does not seem enough to convince Mancini, who has often preferred to field Dejan Stankovic or Santiago Solari instead of the former Real Madrid star, who is allegedly ready to move to a new home in the Middle East.

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 04:14
Tim
Xtratime Legend

I know players like Bebeto and Donadoni have played for Al-Ittihad in the past and now they might sign Figo, but what about other clubs in the league? Do any of them have the finances to attract notable players from outside Saudi Arabia or is it pretty much only Al-Ittihad?

Speaking of which, what happened with Jared Borgetti? I read that he enacted a clause in his contract that allows him to leave if he cannot adapt, but considering he was there for only two months it sound as though there must have been another reason for his return to Mexico.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 09:46
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Isn't amazing that whenever Mansour al-Blouwi is under pressure at the club, a transfer rumour like this surfaces !? First Rivaldo, then Eto'o and now Figo. And it works! In their excitement and dreams, they forget about the problems at the club and when it all peters out momentum is lost. I don't think Figo is coming, but it would be wonderful if he does. Anyway, 5 January isn't too far off, so not long to find out.

Regarding Borgetti, I think it was mutual. He didn't settle in very well (it didn't help there was all kinds of strife at the club) and the fans were lukewarm about him. With the mood at the club the last few months I would try to get away. Having said that, the mood has eased with the new coach.

As for other clubs in Saudi. The league is dominated by 5 clubs: Hilal, Shabab and Nassr from Riyadh, and Ittihad and Ahli from Jeddah. Hilal are the most influencial, thanks to their strong links with the establishment. Under Mansour al-Blouwi, Ittihad has been spending heavily, but the other clubs (except Shabab) can match Ittihad if they want. Actually, Nassr have Denilson playing for them at the moment (although he's gotten Thomas Brolin fat ).

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 12:58
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FC Barcelona
Puto

Expect a comment like: "I was born to play in Saudi Arabia"

I'm disappointed, I am happy for Itihad fans. But I really hoped to see this guys face for one last time in the Camp Nou.

Can anyone tell me what punishment I'd get if I pulled a 'Jimmy Jump' in Saudi Arabia?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 15:34
Tim
Xtratime Legend

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...397800&cc=5739

Figo 'agrees' to swap Milan for Saudi Arabia

Luis Figo is set to join Al Ittihad after the Saudi Arabian club's team manager Hamad Al Sanie confirmed a deal has been agreed.

The former FIFA World Player of the Year will put pen to paper over the next couple of days on a 17-month contract, according to Al Sanie, after deciding to leave Serie A leaders Inter Milan.

'It's official now,' Al Sanie said. 'Figo will sign Friday or Saturday and he'll arrive in Jeddah on January 5 when he'll join the team.'

Snaring a player of Figo's calibre will be an enormous coup for Middle Eastern football.

'We chose Figo because he's a big star and the coach of the team (Dmitri Davidovic) asked us to look for a midfielder and, after we suggested Figo to the coach, he welcomed the idea.

'The contract of Figo will be for 17 months but the fee is not disclosed.'

Al Ittihad are historically one of the most successful teams in Saudi Arabia and are based in the Red Sea port city of Jeddah.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 16:16
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: F.C. Juventus of Turin
We really do know how to waste money.

“Dogs celebrate on the corpses of lions, thinking they’ve won, but lions remain lions and dogs stay dogs"
-Stefano Sturaro
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 17:59
World Class Player

Teams: Real Madrid CF, Fenerbahçe SK
Bah, will mean little as Hilal knows how to spend money correctly (the refs). This is season has really seen the death of the Saudi FA (as Hijazzi says). I am sure someone somewhere will make a movie about the disgrace that is happening in the league and expose it to the world. The corruption must stop!!!

Calderon: "Not for 40, not for 400, not for 4,000 million Euros. There isn't enough money to buy Casillas from Real Madrid."

Daniel Alves : "The player who says that he is not excited by playing for Real Madrid has a mental problem "
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2006, 20:37
Rising Star

He's getting paid more money than most teams in the Arab world spend on the entire club!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2006, 06:17 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Figo packs his bags Thursday 28 December, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter midfielder Luis Figo is in Dubai to sign a lucrative six-month contract with Saudi Arabian club Al Ittihad, according to the Portuguese Press.

The newspaper A Bola stated on Thursday that the former Real Madrid star was already in the Middle East, where he should finalise the deal with his new outfit in the luxurious Burj-Al Arab Hotel in Dubai.

The daily paper also reported that the player will be officially presented to the Press on January 5 in Jeddah, as announced on the club’s website this Wednesday.

The news was confirmed by al-Arab Online, as well as by Al Ittihad’s President Mansour al-Balwi, who declared that Figo would leave the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza shortly to play in the Middle Eastern League.

Rumours suggest that the ex-Sporting Lisbon man will sign a six-month contract worth £4.2m, which, if confirmed, would make him the highest paid footballer in the world.

The winger, who is contracted to Inter until June 2007, has struggled to accept the limited playing time granted by Nerazzurri Coach Roberto Mancini,

Mancio recently admitted that the Portuguese star was ‘mad at him’ because he believed he was not being offered enough chances to shine on the pitch.

The tactician has indeed often preferred to field Dejan Stankovic or Santiago Solari instead of Figo, but the veteran was a key man in Inter’s win over Atalanta in the last match before the Christmas break.

channel4

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:51 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

02/01/2007 7.25

Moratti Hands Figo Bumper Extension

Inter have handed Luis Figo a bumper one year extension to his contract, with the option of another, to prevent him from leaving for Al Ittihad.

zoom - galleria Figo's current contract runs out at the end of the season, and the Portuguese star was set to sign a lucrative two-year deal with Saudi club Al Ittihad.

However, Inter patron Massimo Moratti stepped in personally, and after speaking with the winger at length on the phone, decided to hand him a deal he simply could not refuse.

Moratti confirmed his telephone conversation, and indicated that he was convinced by Figo's motivation.

"We spoke on the telephone, and he [Figo] showed keenness to continue to be a part of Inter's great project," he said. "I heard in him the same desire to win that I found on that famous day of August, when we spoke at the Forte de Marmi [before Figo moved to Inter]."

Figo was also considering leaving Inter due to disagreements with Roberto Mancini, but the faith shown by the Inter supremo has convinced him to resolve any outstanding issues and stay put.

goal.com

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:26
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca_AT19
Can anyone tell me what punishment I'd get if I pulled a 'Jimmy Jump' in Saudi Arabia?

Hmmm...I think prison, then deportation! p

3andak wasta? If yes, then by all means ittekal 3a Allah and do it

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 06:09 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Nerazzurri make Figo statement Wednesday 3 January, 2007

Inter have released an official statement taking Luis Figo off the transfer market after claims he was set for a Saudi switch.

Over the Christmas break Arabian club Al-Ittihad claimed they had secured a move for the Portuguese legend and that the multi-million pound contract would be completed within days.

However, on Wednesday evening the Nerazzurri took firm steps to end the speculation by releasing a Press statement.

“FC Internazionale announce that there are no negotiations with another club for the sale of Luis Figo. The stories that have appeared in the media in recent days about Figo’s possible transfer are absolutely without foundation.”

Newspapers had suggested that Al-Ittihad were ready to offer the veteran £4.2m for a six-month stay.

channel4

=====================

More Figo than Beckham Wednesday 3 January, 2007

Inter have ruled out the proposed capture of David Beckham after confirming that Luis Figo will remain at the club.

The former Real Madrid star was linked with a move to Saudi Arabian club Al Ittihad last week, with the Englishman widely seen as his ideal replacement.

But boss Roberto Mancini has rubbished talk that the Portuguese wizard is on the verge of walking out on the club in favour of a £4.2m six-month deal.

“Figo is an Inter player and he will stay at Inter,” said Mancini following the squad’s arrival in Bahrain ahead of Saturday’s friendly match with the local national team.

“Furthermore, just as Figo is an Inter player, Beckham is a Real Madrid player. And out of respect I never talk about players who belong to other clubs.”

Mancini did recently admit that Figo was frustrated with his lack of first team action this term, but is confident that he will see out his contract that expires in June.

Meanwhile, the Italian tactician is delighted with the idea of flying out to Bahrain during the winter break.

“It is a pleasure for all of us to be able to work here in view of our next fixtures,” said the former Fiorentina and Lazio tactician.

“On Saturday we will face Bahrain with the maximum seriousness and effort.

“They are a good side who missed out on qualifying for the World Cup in Germany by only losing to Trinidad and Tobago in the play-offs.

“We also know how good their Coach is and I know him personally, having played with Hans Peter Briegel for three seasons at Sampdoria,” concluded Mancini.

channel4

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 11:33 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Figo transfer confusion Thursday 4 January, 2007

Al-Ittihad have revealed that they will present Luis Figo to the Press on Thursday, despite Inter’s latest statement taking the player off the market.

The flying winger, who has been frustrated with his limited playing time under Coach Roberto Mancini, was allegedly offered £4.2m for a six-month stay with the Saudi outfit.

Inter officially denied that there were negotiations underway, stating that the news of a possible transfer was completely groundless.

On Thursday however, an official statement was posted on Al-Ittihad’s website, announcing that Figo would be presented today at the Emirates Tower Hotel in Dubai.

“We offered £3.2m to Inter, who rejected it. We then submitted another offer that was accepted. Figo will be contracted to us until June 2008, earning £6.4m,” read the note on the Arabian website.

There has been no comment from the former Real Madrid man, who it seems is scheduled to meet the club’s management after January 8.

channel4

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 14:21
totally innocent
Premier Player

:rollani: من وين اذنك يا جحا؟

Obituary

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 15:13
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJazzey
:rollani: من وين اذنك يا جحا؟
What?
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 15:59
totally innocent
Premier Player

Sorry I forgot to put the link: http://www.alittihad.com.sa/html/mor...d=1811_0_1_0_M

Obituary

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 00:16
totally innocent
Premier Player

Looks like he's signed. Ittihad made a statement that the transfer has been completed.

Obituary

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 03:14
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Figo must be thinking, "I"m rich, bitch!"
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 06:44
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FC Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizoid

Hmmm...I think prison, then deportation! p

3andak wasta? If yes, then by all means ittekal 3a Allah and do it
As long as they send me back to Jordan I'll be safe.....

Wow! You're encouraging me??!?!?
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 08:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
Quote:
I know players like Bebeto and Donadoni have played for Al-Ittihad in the past and now they might sign Figo, but what about other clubs in the league? Do any of them have the finances to attract notable players from outside Saudi Arabia or is it pretty much only Al-Ittihad?
Let me add to what HiJazzey mentioned that players like Brazilian stars Rivelino was with Hilal in 70s , 80s and GIOVANNI who played for Hilal last season and did well .
Also , I think that Hilal club is the most successful team in Asia not just in Saudi league .

The bulgarian star Stoichkov also played for Nasser in 1997 .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in