This Saudi WC team, any better than the previous WC team? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2006, 13:38 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: The eternal Champions of Italy!!!
This Saudi WC team, any better than the previous WC team?

I've heard some impressive predictions from some Saudi's about thier national team. They are confident that this team may make it to the 1/4 finals.

However, I remember reading not too long ago in a magazine that they will be another laughing stock - my guess is that perhaps the author hasn't watched them enough.

Whose predictions do you deem more accurate?

"I went to a football school 60 miles away from where I lived. I practised 12 hours a day, training both feet so thoroughly, that I no longer know which is better. At Sparta Prague, I would retake the field after a match and train until the floodlights were extinguished."

-Pavel Nedved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2006, 17:32
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
1/4 finals :eekani: I dont think so...doubt they would get a point...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2006, 19:09
Premier Player
International

Teams: Liverpool & England
Hi..

I'd say somewhere in between the two predictions u have..

I don't believe we have the infrastructure and management to take us to the QF.. we do have a good crop of players (IMO better than the 2002 team by far) but the decision to change the manager six months before the finals and replacing him by a relatively unknown (Paccitta, a Brazilian who coached he Brazilian Youth Team and Al Hilal in Saudi) is something I'm strongly against.. Yes Calderon wasn't a super coach or tactitian.. but he got the best out of the players.. and got us to the finals without a single loss (in a group that included South Korea [we beat them home and away] and Kuwait) and I just believe the timing is wrong..

We could end up with zilch.. and we could surprise some of the experts and maybe sneak a ticket to the 2nd round.. that's how much of a Jekyl & Hyde team we can be..

MacoBoy, yes the 1/4 finals is a stretch.. but why the very pessimistic expectation? I don't expect us to get anything against Spain.. but Tunisia is a 50-50.. and although the Ukraine are very strong.. u never know..

Reminds me of USA94.. we got Holland (ala Spain), Morocco (ala Tunisia) and Belgium (ala Ukraine).. we lost narrowly to Holland.. won by a freak goal against Morocco and beat Belgium 1-0 to make it through..

As I said.. could be the same.. or another failure (more likely to be similar to France98 than Jap/Korea02 if u ask me)

Best Regards,

Yasir

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2006, 09:34
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Yasir put it perfectly.
Personally, any hopes I had quickly faded once our idiotic FA reminded me of it's ahem... unique management style.

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in