Qatar Champs - Al Gharrafa info - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2005, 10:22 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Qatar Champs - Al Gharrafa info

Hi, could anybody tell me about Al Gharrafa, i.e. star players, how they managed to win the league ahead of teams like Al Sadd and Al Rayyan who have players like the De Boers and Sonny Anderson. Are they the richest side in Qatar and most ambitious. All i know about them is tht they recently signed Wanchope and are the newly crowned champions! Cheerzzzzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2005, 22:29
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Sorry mate, I don't follow the Qatar League, and I'm not aware of any Qatari members in this forum. I'll try to look some info up if you want. But I'm not promising anything.

For the moment all I can tell you is that they used to be called Ittihad Qatar, and then renamed themselves when the "star league" was launched.

They're one of their major clubs (although not as big 3arabi and Sadd).

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

Last edited by HiJazzey; August 7th, 2005 at 22:36.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2005, 15:33
Rising Star

Yeah and they recently snatched Wanchope from the Jaws of Portsmouth, Must be paying well if the Qatari league is preferred to a late twenty year old over the EPL, be interesting to see how he gets on over there.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2005, 17:54 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Cheers Jazzey, i c tht u support Ittihad (im guessin of Arabia!) so could u tell me about them and rivals Al Hilal (i.e. players, attendance average, finances, etc...) Also about other top players in the league. I know of Yasser Al-Qaytani (is he going to join Hilal? btw) but i dont know any other promising players. Cheers
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 00:14
totally innocent
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston Shepard
Yeah and they recently snatched Wanchope from the Jaws of Portsmouth, Must be paying well if the Qatari league is preferred to a late twenty year old over the EPL, be interesting to see how he gets on over there.
Well yes. They pay well. It shouldn't be too taxing for him though. It is still a poor league despite the army of old pros.

Obituary

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 00:44
totally innocent
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughany
Cheers Jazzey, i c tht u support Ittihad (im guessin of Arabia!) so could u tell me about them and rivals Al Hilal (i.e. players, attendance average, finances, etc...) Also about other top players in the league. I know of Yasser Al-Qaytani (is he going to join Hilal? btw) but i dont know any other promising players. Cheers
Ittihad is the oldest club in the country. The club was established in Jeddah in 1928. Ittihad means United, so you could call them Jeddah United
We're currently the reigning Asian champions, and we've won 5 of the last 8 Saudi league championships.

Top players include, Mohammed Noor (best midfielder in Saudi Arabia), Manaf Abushgeir (left midfield), Hamad alMontasheri (young defender who already cemented his place with the national team), Saud Kariri (defensive midfield), Redha Tokar (international defender), and Mabrouk Zayed (no1 goalie). That's the core of the team, there are many other stars in the team. The majority of the Saudi national team play for Ittihad. And most of the rest of Ittihad's squad are ex-international.

Rising stars include Mohammed Amin Haidar (versatile attacker) and Osama alMowallad (defender). I would say Montasheri is established now, so I won't put him in this category.

Attendance figures aren't available, but Ittihad are believed to have the highest average attendance, with Hilal a close second (Hilal have the bigger stadium but Ittihad have more reliable attendance). I would estimate the season average to be between 15-20 thousand.

As for finances. Ittihad is one of the richest clubs in the region. It has long been associated with Jeddah's main merchant families, so fund raising isn't a problem.

BTW our main rivals are Ahli not Hilal.

phew, that was a long post !

Obituary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in