Was Perreira sacked in '98? - Xtratime Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2005, 20:39 Thread Starter
Expecto patronum!
Legend
 
Harry Potter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2005
Location: Macedonia, where the sun shines
Teams: Macedonia, Inter, Rabotnichki
Posts: 13,563
Was Perreira sacked in '98?

Was Carlos Alberto Perreira sacked after the match France - Saudi Arabia (4:0) in the WC '98?
Harry Potter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2005, 23:18
totally innocent
Premier Player
 
HiJazzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: The south, the deep south
Teams: Ittihad
Posts: 2,227
yes

Obituary


Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006


HiJazzey is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2005, 22:00
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2004
Posts: 260
Yes...The Saudi FA sacked Parreira because they thought the team wasn't good enough for him
barcalon2001 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2005, 22:17
World Class Player
 
Join Date: 04 2000
Posts: 7,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalon2001
Yes...The Saudi FA sacked Parreira because they thought the team wasn't good enough for him
Not necessarily. Sometimes good coaches are sacked because there is no connection and no chemistry, or because the coach demands what the players can't perform.

In Egypt for example, we still can't play a 4-4-2 without making mistakes (we prefer 3-5-2), any good coach who tries to play with this formation can end up easily losing and fired, although they're good coaches.

So its not a matter of Saudi FA thinking Parreira is or isnt good.
Sabry is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2005, 14:44
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2004
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabry
Not necessarily. Sometimes good coaches are sacked because there is no connection and no chemistry, or because the coach demands what the players can't perform.

In Egypt for example, we still can't play a 4-4-2 without making mistakes (we prefer 3-5-2), any good coach who tries to play with this formation can end up easily losing and fired, although they're good coaches.

So its not a matter of Saudi FA thinking Parreira is or isnt good.
I see your point, but I think that foreign managers are not getting decent time with their respective teams to really change the way team plays into a better system.

In Parreira's case he was brought few months before the world cup with the hope that he will somehow make the Saudi NT compete and play better but ended up getting the sack after the 4-0 defeat with France.

It's hard to question Parreira's coaching record and sacking him for a singe bad game didn't make any sense IMO. Why not give the man a 2-year contract where he will get enough time to improve the team rather than signing him or another managers to short term deal at major international events??
barcalon2001 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2005, 21:37
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Posts: 416
Parreira sucks. Any twerp could be successful with the BRazillian NT. Parreira's tactics leave much to be deserved. He belongs to the old school of coaches. Brazil would have been better of with another manager.
mamamia is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2005, 22:15
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2004
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia
Parreira sucks. Any twerp could be successful with the BRazillian NT. Parreira's tactics leave much to be deserved. He belongs to the old school of coaches. Brazil would have been better of with another manager.
Sure.....you only need talented players to win trophies. It makes you wonder why Real Madrid didn't win a single trophy for the last 2 years with all that talent in the team.
barcalon2001 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2005, 04:00
Rookie
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Posts: 13
There were some rumours that he punished the players who tried to attack on the French goal. He sucked anyways, I remember the temporary coach in South Africa game, he got so pissed off after South Africa equalized in the last minutes.
Saudi64 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2005, 11:33
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2004
Posts: 260
Quote:
There were some rumours that he punished the players who tried to attack on the French goal.
Why would he want to punish those players?
barcalon2001 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2005, 22:40
Rookie
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalon2001
Why would he want to punish those players?
He wanted a 100% defensive team.
Saudi64 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2005, 22:52
totally innocent
Premier Player
 
HiJazzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: The south, the deep south
Teams: Ittihad
Posts: 2,227
Welcome to XT Saudi64

Obituary


Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006


HiJazzey is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 00:03
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2004
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudi64
He wanted a 100% defensive team.
I have never heard of a Brazilian coach who want's to play 100% defensive...
barcalon2001 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 00:27
totally innocent
Premier Player
 
HiJazzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: The south, the deep south
Teams: Ittihad
Posts: 2,227
Perreira is famous for it, ask any Brazilian.

Anyway, while I was against the sacking, he didn't exactly endear himself to the players / management / fans during his tenure. His arrogant and aloof attitude meant that the first chance they got they fired him.

Obituary


Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006


HiJazzey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome