Xtratime Community banner

Liga BBVA Round 26: Athletic Club - Real Madrid

5K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  jimbo jones 
#1 · (Edited)

ATHLETIC CLUB (10th place, 30 points)
vs.
REAL MADRID (1st place, 61 points)

DATE: Saturday, March 7, 2015 (6 p.m. CET; 9 a.m. PT)
U.S. TV: BeIN Sports USA, BeIN Sports en Español
ONLINE: BeIN Sports Connect (http://www.beinsportsconnect.tv/livenow/bein-sports-connect)
INT'L TV/ONLINE: Click here for list

ATHLETIC ROSTER:

TBD

--

REAL MADRID ROSTER:

TBD

See less See more
#2 ·
Players called-up by Ernesto Valverde:

Iraizoz, Remiro.
Gurpegi, Etxeita, Balenziaga, Iraola, Aurtenetxe.
Beñat, Rico, Susaeta, Unai López, De Marcos.
Aduriz, Guillermo, Williams, Toquero, Ibai, Muniain.

Suspended: San José
Injured: Iago, Laporte, Bustinza, Iturraspe.
Out: Aketxe, Sola.

PROBABLE XI

Gorka Iraizoz

Óscar de Marcos - Carlos Gurpegi - Xabi Etxeita - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel Rico - Beñat Etxebarria

Markel Susaeta - Iker Muniain - Iñaki Williams

Aritz Aduriz

Laporte is out as well. I honestly have no idea how will Valverde play. We have no pure DM, maybe Valverde puts Gurpegi in midfield and enters Aurtenetxe in defense? Also, I think someone from the 3 upfront Muniain-Williams-Aduriz will rest. Ibai, Susaeta, Iraola could enter there.

#3 ·
Valverde mentioned there will be a surprise in the lineup...

Here's me thinking Iraola as DM (Mané style) or Toquero in the starting lineup (putting San Mamés on fire) could be that 'surprise'.

Any other idea? :cool:

De Marcos as goalie not accepted...yet...

#5 ·
Maybe 3 central defenders or a 4-4-2?

Either way 2 wins v RM in 10 years not inspiring.

They have 19 in that period in the head to head count.

Strange why our record is so terrible against them compared with other top teams in that period.

Hope we don't get too big a hammering and Gurpegi at CH against this lot must not be allowed to happen!!

#7 ·
Nah we play with the same lineup as in Cornellá, with Beñat instead of the suspended San José. Noone rests.

Valverde starts with:

Gorka Iraizoz

Óscar de Marcos - Carlos Gurpegi - Xabi Etxeita - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel Rico - Beñat Etxebarria

Andoni Iraola - Iker Muniain - Iñaki Williams

Aritz Aduriz

Bench:

GK Alex Remiro
DF Jon Aurtenetxe
MF Unai López
MF Markel Susaeta
FW Ibai Gómez
FW Gaizka Toquero
FW Guillermo Fernández

#13 ·
So so impressive the way we stopped the siege by playing out and actually creating more chances and holding the ball.

Did I actually see Susaeta winning a header at the back post to set up AA who rattled the post...

..I did but I still don't believe it!

The team was outstanding and a thoroughly deserved and magnificent win that blows a big hole in real madrid's title challenge.

#15 ·
Williams again extremely impressive. Back to back big games on big stages from the kid.

Got a proper standing ovation too. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
He's still like a rabbit in the headlights most of the time but what an engine he has and he covered a lot of grass today and won the ball back for the goal in midfield...(ran out of clichés there!)

Great prospect after only a handful of games and you say the crowd love him.

#21 ·
VIDEO: gzL33RWPfgQ

What a team effort. Didn't love Valverde subbing out two of our fastest players (Muniain, Williams) but I don't know if they were tired. Either way, Aduriz, Iraola, Balenziaga, Rico, Williams stood out. And of course, Gorka!!!

One of the greatest weeks in my life as an Athleticzale.

ZU. ZARA. NAGUSIA!!!

#22 ·
Great stuff :cool:

So sad the Torino elimination, with this confidence we could challenge for the EL title.

I don't know what will happen with Williams in 1 year, but his debut is being impressive.

And what about Benjamin Button Aduriz, I don't know if the best head goal ever but definately one of the best I've seen in my life.

#37 ·
Totally agree.

That game was a disaster.

We have now had 4 league games without conceding and kept out Espanyol in the cup.

Confidence is the key word.

We didn't believe we could beat Torino two weeks ago.

We do know now but too late.

The reaction since that game has been immense and to be honest Valverde got it so wrong against the Italians it was scary.

He's got it right now and we can only look forward.

I just hope we don't lose out for 7th place,and Europe,by Gorka's 93rd minute equaliser wrongly disallowed in the opening game of the season against the current 7th place side.

AA's header was stunning tonight but have a look at Gorka's in that game...sublime and every bit as good considering the time of the match and that he is our keeper.

It was a bullet!!!

#23 ·
Marca scored Pepe the highest of both teams at 7.5 out of 10.

The guy who failed to pick up Aduriz for the goal,the near goal and let him roam free all match...shocking exhibition of defending but they clearly want rumours of his new contract extension to be true.

I think every striker in La Liga wants that too.

The ref who was fair and even handed scored 6/10.

Sore losers?

Makes the win even more enjoyable.

#26 ·
By the way, this win temporarily puts Athletic in 8th place with 33 points. Málaga is in 7th with 41 points. Athletic now has two routes to Europe. Either catch Málaga (since they would get the last spot if we lose the Copa final), or win the Copa final outright!

Going to be a hell of a final three months!!! EUP!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.