CSA Perspectives - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2003, 21:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
CSA Perspectives

Andy Sharpe, President of the CSA, has isued a statement outlining the CSA's view on the near future for Canadian soccer.

The CUSL professional league idea seems to be dead.

They are looking at having 6 teams in the A-League, who would form a Canadian Division.

They are trying to get an MLS franchise for Toronto. This I find interesting in view of Holger Osieck's (past?) hostility to the MLS. Either Osieck and Sharpe are at odds on this subject, or Osieck has had a change of heart.

He used to think MLS wasn't real soccer - only Canadians playing in Europe were good enough for the NT. God only knows what he thought of the A-League.

Now I suspect he's realizing that our Europe-based players are not necessarily head and shoulders above the North American ones (and they have a lot of problems getting released for international games). He is putting players on the roster who developed in the MLS and - gasp - the A-League. Think of Dwayne De Rosario, Pat Onstad, Marco Reda, and Chris Pozniak.

They want to build a soccer-first stadium in Toronto, which they have announced before, but now it seems conditional on our winning the hosting rights for the 2007 Women's World Cup, or an MLS franchise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2003, 22:15
Rising Star

Toronto adds its name for MLS expansion bid

Pele, former Cosmos owner make pitch to MLS

February 8, 2003
By Jamie Trecker SportsTicker Contributing Editor

MIAMI (Ticker) - Soccer legend Pele and the owner of the defunct New York Cosmos, Giuseppe Peppe Pinton, have approached the MLS and Anschutz Entertainment Group in an attempt to bring the team back.

Brazilian newspapers are reporting Saturday that Pinton, who owns the rights to the Cosmos name and logo, is in the preliminary stages of exploration and has teamed up with Pele's Pro company to research their MLS bid.

ADVERTISEMENT

MLS officials were not immediately available for comment, but sources acknowledged that Pinton had contacted the league with regards to reviving the team and the name.

In related news, the Canadian Soccer Association has thrown Toronto's name into the hat for MLS expansion, linking the bid with the development of a new 30,000-seat stadium in the city. The new stadium has been proposed alongside Canada's bid to host the 2007 Women's World Cup.

Updated at Sat, Feb 8 2003, 12:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2003, 19:24
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

Wonderful news.

But I have to say this even at the risk of redundancy.

I cannot support a Toronto team that uses disney colours or disney names.

There is an established soccer community here and I know they'd turn off many by putting a stupid name like "Blizzard" or "Storm" on the shirt followed by a rainbow of colours and a confusing "logo".

Lets have a shield, with Blue and White, and call the team after one of the many historical references that would immediately add some pride and purpose to the club.

That's club not franchise. I know it's a "franchise" but people don't fight for franchises the fight for clubs.

I do solemny pray to Almighty God that we don't have those ridiculous Disney names.

I've proposed this before and I'll do it again.

Name-Fort York Football Club

Colour-Blue and White

Nickname-Loyalists or Blues or Imperials

just a suggestion.

Cheers

Reprezentaciju ste ukrali, istinu ne možete

"Football is an extension of the war by other means"

Franjo Tudman

PS. Iako si najavio ne moraš dolaziti u Hercegovinu, ovamo nisi dobodošao. Sasvim sigurno su ti otvorena vrata onih koji su skupa sa tobom radili na zabrani utakmice, i otvorena su ti vrata njihovog grada gdje se pale i brane hrvatske zastave.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2003, 20:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Unfortunately, decisions like that will probably be made by marketing people who know nothing about soccer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2003, 16:24
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

:broken: :broken: :broken: :depress: :broken:

Reprezentaciju ste ukrali, istinu ne možete

"Football is an extension of the war by other means"

Franjo Tudman

PS. Iako si najavio ne moraš dolaziti u Hercegovinu, ovamo nisi dobodošao. Sasvim sigurno su ti otvorena vrata onih koji su skupa sa tobom radili na zabrani utakmice, i otvorena su ti vrata njihovog grada gdje se pale i brane hrvatske zastave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in