CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup 2002 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2002, 05:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup 2002

Ready for some more of Kara Lang and Christine Sinclair?

They're back - this time with the senior women's team - for the CONCACAF Gold Cup for women.

In fact, the roster includes 8 members of the U-19 team that won the silver medal in the FIFA competition earlier this year

Canada is one of the favoured teams in this tournament as well, which also doubles as the 2003 Women's World Cup Qualifying tournament for CONCACAF. The top 2 teams will qualify, and the third place team gets to play off against an Asian team for another qualifying spot.

Schedule:

Group 1 Preview
27 Oct. Panama 4-2 Trinidad & Tobago [Pasadena]
27 Oct. USA 3-0 Mexico [Pasadena]
29 Oct. USA 3-0 Trinidad & Tobago [Fullerton]
29 Oct. Panama 1-5 Mexico [Fullerton]
2 Nov. Mexico 2-0 Trinidad & Tobago [Seattle]
2 Nov. USA 9-0 Panama [Seattle]

Group 2 [all games in Victoria] Preview
30 Oct. Costa Rica 2-0 Jamaica
30 Oct. Canada 11-1 Haiti
1 Nov. Haiti 0-5 Costa Rica
1 Nov. Canada 9-0 Jamaica
3 Nov. Jamaica 1-2 Haiti
3 Nov. Canada 3-0 Costa Rica

Semifinals Nov. 6
USA 7-0 Costa Rica
Canada 2-0 Mexico

Third Place Match [Nov. 9 in Pasadena]
Mexico 4-1 Costa Rica

Final [Nov. 9 in Pasadena]
USA 2-1 Canada (Sportsnet 7:00 p.m. PST)

All games will be played on a double-header basis. So if you're in the vicinity of Victoria, get a ticket and see 2 great international games for $17 or less!

All of Canada's games will be shown on Sportsnet

Who's on the team?

1 Karina LeBlanc GK Boston Breakers
3 Breanna Boyd D U. of Nebraska
4 Sasha Andrews D Southern Methodist University *
5 Andrea Neil M Vancouver Breakers
6 Sharolta Nonen D Atlanta Beat
8 Clare Rustad M Vancouver Breakers *
9 Candace Chapman D/M Toronto Inferno/U. of Notre Dame *
10 Charmaine Hooper F Atlanta Beat
11 Randee Hermus M Vancouver Breakers
12 Christine Sinclair F Vancouver Breakers/U. of Portland *
13 Amy Walsh M unattached
14 Carmelina Moscato M Penn State University *
15 Kara Lang D[??] Oakville *
16 Brittany Timko M Burnaby Panthers *
17 Silvana Burtini F Vancouver Breakers
18 Erin McLeod GK Southern Methodist University *
19 Kristina Kiss M Ottawa Fury
plus Melanie Booth *

* = U-19

Last edited by Jeff; November 10th, 2002 at 05:08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2002, 06:02
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Good luck to the Canadian team, I'll be watching sportsnet

Go Canada
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2002, 18:29
International

Looking Forward to it

Go Can Go :fero:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2002, 23:16
Rookie

We should be able to win all 3 games
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2002, 02:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Go Girls Go!

Players want more money
I'm shocked at the paltry amounts of money these women are paid! $21,500 if they win the World Cup??

Costa Rica roster

Last edited by Jeff; October 27th, 2002 at 03:43.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2002, 03:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

The Canadian women have settled their pay dispute.

Each player will collect $Can 9,500 if they win the Gold Cup (less likely) or $Can 7,500 if they lose in the cup final (more likely).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2002, 00:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Well, I watched the Haiti game, and I must say I was not impressed with the Canadians. Too many giveaways, sloppy finishing, porous defence... A semi-competent team would have been able to punish Canada repeatedly.

Kara Lang doesn't seem to be able to control where she kicks the ball. The team won 11-1; none of the goals was scored by Lang, who was playing as a striker.

Haiti is a joke - doesn't belong in the tournament. If Canada plays like this against Mexico in the SF, we will lose!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2002, 06:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

The Jamaica game was an improvement for Canada. Kara Lang found her scoring touch, although she still has considerable difficulty shooting the ball low.

Better communication and anticipation on the field. Jamaica showed much better goalkeeping and defending than Haiti did, but the Canadians were able to finish off their chances better.

Canada showed good bench strength with Amy Walsh coming on and scoring in the first half, and Kristina Kiss coming in for Charmaine Hooper in the second half and beautifully setting up a couple of goals.

Too bad the attendance was so poor again. Why do Canadians play soccer at night in November?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2002, 00:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Playoff tree

Code:
Canada ]
       ]---Canada---------]
Mexico ]                  ]
                          ]
                          ]---USA----
                          ] 
USA        ]              ]
           ]---USA--------]
Costa Rica ]
Semifinal winners Canada and USA qualify automatically for the WWC 2003.
Mexico wins the Bronze medal game and can qualify for WWC 2003 by beating an Asian team (TBA) in a two-leg playoff.

Last edited by Jeff; November 10th, 2002 at 05:09.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2002, 07:29 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
If Canada plays like this against Mexico in the SF, we will lose!
The above remark was in reference to the Haiti game. Haiti, Jamaica and Costa Rica all made Canada look better than we were, with flattering scores.

Canada didn't look very impressive against Mexico, winning on two own goals.

Watch for Canada to lose badly to USA on Saturday. I predict a 3-1 score.

Having said that, congratulations to the team for qualifying for the World Cup next year in China. I hope they can make it past the first round this time. At least they won't have to face USA or Mexico in the first round....

Match reports:
USA 7-0 Costa Rica
Canada 2-0 Mexico

Last edited by Jeff; November 7th, 2002 at 23:53.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2002, 18:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Americans sabotaging our team

From WayMore Sports, Nov. 9, 01:00 EDT:

Canada loses two players
SMU threatens to revoke soccer scholarships
by Norman Da Costa

ARCADIA, Calif. — There was outrage on Canada's national team on the eve of the women's Gold Cup soccer final after two of their players were ordered to return to their U.S. universities immediately or have their scholarships revoked.

Goalkeeper Erin McLeod and defender Sasha Andrews, star members of the silver-medal under-19 world championship team in Edmonton this summer, were left with little choice but take the first flight from Seattle to join their Southern Methodist University team in Dallas Thursday, a day after Canada beat Mexico 2-0 to reach the final.

"They burst into my room crying to tell me that if they did not return right away they would lose their scholarships,'' fumed Even Pellerud, coach of the national team.

"They did not want to go back but their education is at stake. It is unbelievable that it should happen just before the final against the United States.

"That leaves us without a backup goalkeeper and puts us in a very risky and vulnerable position because none of the other girls have played in goal. I know that Karina (LeBlanc) is tough but we need to find another athletic person just in case.''

To compound matters, rules of the tournament do not allow countries to make changes to their 18-person roster and Canada cannot pursue this matter further because governing body FIFA has no jurisdiction over the NCAA.

It is the nature of the ultimatum that has Pellerud perturbed — particularly when he was in regular contact with the college coaches of five of his players before this tournament.

Pellerud and SMU coach George van Linden spoke to each other as late as last week and was told that he would be contacted if the pair were required for important matches in the Western Athletic Conference tournament this week in Houston.

SMU plays in the championship match tonight.

"But he then bypasses me and calls them directly in their rooms. I find this very unusual,'' said Pellerud.

Van Linden did not return several calls placed to him yesterday.

Others Canadians here on scholarships are Carmelina Moscato (Penn State), Breanna Boyd (University of Nebraska), Candace Chapman (Notre Dame) and Christine Sinclair (University of Portland).

"I find this hard to believe," said midfielder Moscato of Mississauga. "Is the college more important than playing for one's country?" she asked.

Pellerud played down the idea of a U.S. conspiracy.

"No, there is no such thing. But I notice some of the coaches have their own agendas, their own interests,'' he said. "I never suspected encountering this problem and I don't think it should be like that. I suppose they (coaches) also want to win their matches and want to field their best players.''

Tonight at the Rose Bowl (Sportsnet, 10 p.m. EST), the two CONCACAF powerhouses, both assured of berths in the World Cup, meet in the final with the more experienced Americans favoured.

Canada, though, has a 2-1-2 record in last five meetings and is more determined than ever to cart off the Gold Cup.

"That is the goal of the team,'' said captain and striker Charmaine Hooper. "Winning a World Cup berth leaves us with one unfinished business and that is winning the Gold Cup.''

Meanwhile, Pellerud said he would not respond to U.S. coach April Heinrichs' comment that "Canada is like all CONCACAF teams. They just sit back in the bunker.''

"I never talk about my opponents,'' said Pellerud. "That would be below my standard. But how can you score 25 goals in four matches here from the bunker or whatever that is called?''
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2002, 20:01
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
I wish I knew what to say....
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2002, 05:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Well, I guess Canada did better than I had expected, because they only lost 2-1 whereas I had predicted 3-1.

But the USA win was a foregone conclusion. Canda came into the game in damage control mode, playing a 5-4-1, which succeeded in making it hard for the Americans to score. But in the second half, with the score 1-1, it was clearly just a matter of time before the USA would win it. It took them a bit longer than it should have, because they inexplicably took out their best striker, Tiffeny Milbrett, who had scored the first goal.

But Canada had almost no chances at all in the second half.

So, to nobody's surprise, the USA remains the top team.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2002, 17:44
International

I'm pretty happy with our girls. I think on average we have a younger squad, and it will be a matter of time until US stars like Mia Hamm retire and Canada will be the undisputed champion in Women's soccer.
I saw the game and although US looked more technichal, there wasn't a HUGE difference between the 2 teams and the field was $hitty which seemed to affect both teams. I think Hooper was our best player. Sinclair failed to impress this time around...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2002, 23:17
Legend

Teams: Croatian and US NT, Hajduk-Split, NY Islanders
Canada has an up and coming NT in women's soccer. What is happening also, is that many of them are now getting scholarships to play soccer in the States at some big time Division I schools. So, they are getting some quality coaching as well as playing against future US NT players. When this happens you begin to know how the competition plays and get used to the styles as well as the strengths and weaknesses of individual players.

It's good to get some competions.

Plus, I understand Sepp Blatter was very happy with the turnout at the U19's this year with 49,000 turning out for the final at Edmonton that Canada may get a bid to host the Women's WC...Good luck, I hope you get it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in