World Cup in Canada? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2002, 04:38 Thread Starter
Premier Player

World Cup in Canada?

(Aug 16) EDMONTON (CP) - Canada could have a shot at 2014 World Cup of soccer if it teamed up with the United States to co-host the event, CONCACAF president Jack Warner said Friday.

"Based on what we've seen, I don't see why we can't have a co-hosting between Canada and the United States or some such combination," said Warner, who was in Edmonton to kick off the inaugural world women's under-19 soccer championship. The CONCACAF federation covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Warner, who is also chairman of the world under-19 championship, said this region of the world is ready to host World Cup.

He noted that the 2006 World Cup is set for Germany and 2010 World Cup is likely to be held in Africa.

The economic climate in South America has likely taken it out of the running for 2010 so that event will likely land in North America - either Canada, United States or Mexico or some combination of the three, he said.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter, speaking at the Asian Football Conference annual congress in Kuala Lumpur earlier this week, launched speculation that the World Cup was coming west when he said that after 2010 the tournament might go "somewhere in the Americas."

Japan and South Korea jointly hosted this year's World Cup.

"Canada has already indicated its interest in hosting a future World Cup," said Jim Fleming, Canada's national organizing chairman and former president of the Canadian Soccer Association. "That offer was extended after consultation with the government of Canada. There are ongoing discussions about putting together the blueprint."

Fleming said organizers had been talking to the federal government about submitting a bid for the 2010 event, but will now likely focus on 2014.

"I think given the fact that Mexico had it twice and the United States had it once, it's our turn," he said.

Paul DeVillers, federal secretary of state for sport, confirmed that Ottawa is behind the bid.

"We've been having discussions and we're working on that together," he said.

Fleming said initial discussions involved Canada making a bid for the event on its own, but a joint bid is a possibility.

"If it took a co-hosting type of arrangement, I think we'd be interested in pursuing that," he said.

He said it would be easier logistically than the event staged in Korea and Japan because Canada and the U.S. share a border and the governments and soccer federations have a good working relationship with each other.

Fleming said Canada would need $10 million to host the event and upgrade the country's Canadian Football League stadia to FIFA football standards.

He said Canada would need a minimum of nine facilities to host the event.

Canada's national soccer team has only qualified to compete in the World Cup once. It has yet to score a goal in a World Cup game.

But Warner told reporters that CONCACAF will lobby intensely to boost the number of World Cup berths from the region from three to four in the upcoming tournament - a move that would give Canada a better chance at qualifying for the tournament.

He said he will make that pitch in Madrid, Spain, in December.

"We will ask for four spots as a right because we have demonstrated on the field of play our competence," he explained.

He said CONCACAF teams have improved to the point where the U.S. and Mexico are ranked among the top 10 teams in the world.

"We will ask for four spots and believe me we will fight to the end and give it all we've got because we deserve it."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.tsn.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2002, 19:41
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Hosting with USA? Wouldn't be bad, means we wouldn't have to build as many stadiums or host them in places like hamilton

sup
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2002, 02:14
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
For once this sounds promising but I am still not sure that will happen.
Is US really willing to host another one? and if that is a given are they really willing to share?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2002, 03:35
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

Ridiculous and rubbish.

Why would they need or want to give up a venue to Canada is beyond reason.

He's only giving Canada a little pat on the head for voting for that crook Blatter.

Reprezentaciju ste ukrali, istinu ne možete

"Football is an extension of the war by other means"

Franjo Tudman

PS. Iako si najavio ne moraš dolaziti u Hercegovinu, ovamo nisi dobodošao. Sasvim sigurno su ti otvorena vrata onih koji su skupa sa tobom radili na zabrani utakmice, i otvorena su ti vrata njihovog grada gdje se pale i brane hrvatske zastave.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2002, 18:28
Rookie

Canada should have some games in Eastern Canada instead of all in Western Canada. All of Team Canada's friendlies seem to all be on the western half of Canada.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2002, 19:32
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Fifa definetly wants the states to have anopther WC, but it is really soon since the last one, but if we co-host with them then maybe the pill will be easier to sallow, but still it would be a slap in the face to South America, considering they havent hosted it since Argentina did way back in 78.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 03:09
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

There is no reason why US Soccer would feel obliged to host one game in Canada. We have no leverage on them in any sort of deal.

The State of California can host a WC on it's own and we can barely offer ONE, just ONE stadium. They have all the cards in the deck. FIFA will bend over backwards at the prospect of spreading the game in the States. Giving games to the Canadians doesn't help their drive to spread the game in the U.S.

Btw- if we were to 'receive' yes that's the word receive, a venue it would embarass me forever. Think on it.

We would be getting a handout from the US like some sort of unemployed bum who couldn't cut it in the last six jobs he worked. Or like some soccer horny corrupt federation that couldn't qualify for the last four world cups.

Handouts of this sort are wrong. If Canada as a G8 country cannot compete openly and fairly for the tourney then we shouldn't take any candy from the US. We've hosted the Olympics and we could in theory handle a full WC. We as Canadians are better than this and deserve better.

ps. Getting one WC venue will not remedy the soccer problems in this country. It might make some feel good but it would only be icing over a mud pie.

Cheers

Franjo Tudman

PS. Iako si najavio ne moraš dolaziti u Hercegovinu, ovamo nisi dobodošao. Sasvim sigurno su ti otvorena vrata onih koji su skupa sa tobom radili na zabrani utakmice, i otvorena su ti vrata njihovog grada gdje se pale i brane hrvatske zastave.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 04:15 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Did you read the article? Canada would need to spend 10 million, that's it! I'm sure this country has 10 million to spend on an event such as the WC.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 14:24
Premier Player

Na, whoever is saying $10 million is drunk. It also says we would potentially need 10 stadiums. We have 3. And they are all sh**y domes. There is absolutely no way canada could host a WC with current facilities, or with $100 million to upgrade the shi* we currently have. It would literally take billions in order to build a few proper stadiums. The problem is that we have way too many idiotic fat hockey lovin, bud drinkin, chiken wing eatin buffons to let something like that happen.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 01:07
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

You honestly think I didn't?

10 mil my ass. That's pocket change when it comes to refurbishing a stadium.

I don't trust the media any more than I trust the CSA or OSA.

10 mil? That's funny. That's what this all is. Funny.

Barlinek you hit the spot. The general public just don't like the game here and that's that.

BTW-the public of the Dominion exploded over the idea rich hockey owners would get government help for their NHL franchises.

Imagine if the taxpayer's money went to soccer. So many people hate the game here and we're talking about throwing money that the military, the poor, roads, the sick need.

It's not funny actually, it's sad.

Franjo Tudman

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 14:57
Premier Player

True, true, i forgot about the uproar there was in regards to government subsadizing hockey, imagine soccer!?

Another problem is that it may not necessarily be that people here don't like soccer, its that they do not view the soccer that is shown.

The majority of the soccer shown is the EPL or Canada friendlies. The majority of fans from Europe/S.America don't really have much of an interest in that.

The WC did amazing ratings. I work in advertising at a TV network here in Toronto, and therefore see all the weekly ratings of all the top shows, and it did phnomenal even at the crazy hours it was shown here. I mean it was in the top 10, for a 2:30am broadcast! That shows there is a huge market and thirst for the game here, however it seems to be completely mishandled either intentionally or not.

The numbers were double that of the Jays, on par with WWF, more than hockey, etc...., and again at 2:30 am!!!! However we are still force-fed the same old crap.

Another problem is that the soccer market here is so fragmented. People will mainly watch the country or league they like, and shut the other stuff out, whereas there is only one baseball team to cheer for. Even with hockey its only a handful of teams.

The market is already here, but noone has figured out how to capture it correctly.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 15:24
Administrators
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Barlinek

The WC did amazing ratings. I work in advertising at a TV network here in Toronto, and therefore see all the weekly ratings of all the top shows, and it did phnomenal even at the crazy hours it was shown here. I mean it was in the top 10, for a 2:30am broadcast! That shows there is a huge market and thirst for the game here, however it seems to be completely mishandled either intentionally or not.

TSN doesn't act that way. I mean when will they act upon the numbers if they are that good.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 21:02
Premier Player

My friend, a lot more is done behind the scenes. Basically the thinking is that the WC is a one-off thing for such high ratings. However, another way to look at it is the fact that soccer has huge unexplored potential in this country. Programs at 2 or 4 in the morning never get more than maybe 2 or 3 thousand viewers.

The problem is that WC draws huge numbers, and then they think that putting a friendly between Canada and Malta will draw the same type of numbers. I love the game, but i'm not wasting an evening on that type of crap.

Do you work in the ad biz?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 22:55
Administrators
Legend

One-off?
The super bowl is a one off. You know that stations can buy the super bowl on its own but the same people are also interested in regular season NFL games as well.
They don't have pay as much for the rights to show other non-WC games so the costs are also lower. If they are willing to take a chance on a half-dead CFL why won't they at least maintain their level of soccer coverage of 5-10 years ago instead of decreasing it. Noboy is asking TSN to be 'The Soccer Network' (as Vic Rauter dared to mention on the air) but the number of other sports that seem to get 'priority' over soccer is laughable at best.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2002, 03:17
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
A more modest and realistic goal would be to host a Women's World Cup.

As a major world power in women's soccer Canada has some claim to serious consideration for a WWC.

The word is that FIFA is very happy with the attendance figures so far in the 12-team "junior" WWC (the U-19 World Championship) and this may add to the appeal of holding the senior event in Canada.

But we still need to build stadiums. The 2003 Women's World Cup will have 16 teams, but that is likely to increase to 20 or more for future ones. Tiny stadiums like Victoria's Centennial Stadium just won't handle the number of people who would want to attend.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2002, 16:45
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

Good point but I still find it saddening that we couldn't find the money or the will to support even that tourney.

The thing we need to make soccer in this country bigger is time.

Franjo Tudman

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2002, 02:24
Rookie

First off, let me just say that I am a Canadian and I am a soccer fan.

But I seriously doubt how Canada can host (or co-host) a World Cup. Let's face it: Canada doesn't have the facility or the support required to stage such a large soccer event. For example, Team Canada usually uses the Edmonton's stadium to play their home games - why not play their home games in bigger cities, like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver? Because nobody in Canada cares, that's why. I have seen some Canada games on TV and I have yet to see a full-house (and the stadium seems awfully small in capacity to me). Furthermore, I don't see the Canadians tuning to watch a World Cup game in the summer during a time when their favourite hockey teams are battling. After the World Cup, soccer is likely to just fade away in Canada. I think it would be a better fit if the World cup is played in the US or Mexico as both countries have the crowd support and soccer facility.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2002, 02:50
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
The word is that FIFA is very happy with the attendance figures so far in the 12-team "junior" WWC (the U-19 World Championship) and this may add to the appeal of holding the senior event in Canada.
Quote from Sepp Blatter:

"I would say this competition has shown that soccer has its legitimacy in Canada. We will have a wonderful final day, then ask me at the end of it if they deserve to hold the World Cup for women. Definitely after this success they must stage something else in women's football."
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2002, 01:22
Forum Manager
Star Player

Blatter goes ga-ga

Norway may have something to say about this. The 1995 winners have never hosted a WWC.

The record so far:

1991 in China: USA beat Norway 2-1
1995 in Sweden: Norway beat Germany 2-0
1999 in USA: USA drew China 0-0 aet; USA won on penalties
2003 in China: stay tuned

Last edited by Jeff; September 1st, 2002 at 02:24.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in