The Lars Hirschfeld thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2002, 03:36 Thread Starter
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Calgary Storm sells Hirschfeld to Hotspur

(Aug 8) (tsn.ca) The Calgary Storm has sold Lars Hirschfeld to Tottenham Hotspur, paving the way for the Canadian No. 1 goalkeeper to sign with the English Premier League team.

The next steps for the 23-year-old from Edmonton are to come to contract terms with Spurs and pass a medical.

``It looks very positive right now,'' Hirschfeld said Thursday from his hotel near Spurs' training centre in North London. ``Who knows, by next week it should be signed and sealed hopefully.''

Hirschfeld will likely be the No. 3 'keeper behind Scottish international Neil Sullivan and American international Kasey Keller. Manager Glenn Hoddle has apparently chosen a No. 1 but has not made his decision public, according to Hirschfeld.

Should all the paperwork get done, Hirschfeld will join Everton striker Tomasz Radzinski as the only Canadians in the Premiership. Veteran 'keeper Craig Forrest announced his retirement last month from West Ham.

Hirschfeld can look with some pride at the fact that he turned a one-week tryout in March into a full-time job with the storied English side led by former England manager Hoddle.

Tottenham kept extending his tryout towards the end of last season and, when starter Sullivan was injured, Hirschfeld made the bench for Premier League games against Middlesbrough and Leeds.

Hirschfeld, who wore No. 24 last season with Spurs, joined the London team after tryouts with Heart of Midlothian in Scotland and Portsmouth and Wolverhampton Wanderers in England.

With Forrest recovering from testicular cancer, Hirschfeld started all five games for Canada at the Gold Cup earlier this year. He had a spectacular tournament, helping the Canadians to third place and was named the competition's best goalkeeper.

At the Gold Cup, Hirschfeld staked his claim to the No. 1 job in Canada, no small feat considering he has only has eight caps - six of which came this year. But his shot-stopping skills and athleticism have turned heads.

He gave up just four goals, one an own goal, in five outings at the Gold Cup in a performance that was all the more remarkable in that he had only played 90 minutes of international soccer at that level prior to the tournament. Plus he had seen virtually no action in the two months prior to the Gold Cup,

All that has changed. After last season, he returned to the Storm to play in the A-League this summer and has had next to no time off this year.

The Storm did not disclose the transfer fee it received, but said it will include first-team appearance incentives. The A-League team will receive more money when Hirschfeld signs a contract at Tottenham.

Hirschfeld has been in pre-season training with Spurs since July 15. The team opens play this season Aug. 17 at Everton.

Hirschfeld is sporting a new look these days _ a buzz cut that has replaced longish hair that would not have looked out of place on a surfer or alternative rocker.

``I've always had longish hair, I just got sick of it,'' he explained.

Hirschfeld sees action against Spurs teammate Sullivan on Oct. 15 when Canada plays Scotland in Edinburgh.

He has three shutouts - one shared with Forrest - in his eight appearances for Canada to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2002, 19:16
Premier Player

wow. this is great news for Lars. I wish him all the best. Im sure in time, he'll take the Scott and Americans job
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2002, 22:33
Rising Star

Don't count on it. But he is only 23.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2002, 23:12
Premier Player

Exactly! Sullivan is waht...33? and Keller no young Sprite himself. I think in a few years, we could see Lars as the number one
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 01:43
Rookie

Hello to my fellow Canadians!!!!!

Hirschfeld is a quality player. Did anyone see his performance against Martinique?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 19:40
Premier Player

I believe his best performance was vs. the US in last Gold Cup.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 23:07
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Lars does have his moments, but they're not always good. He looked shaky when Calgary played the Lynx in Toronto in June.

What he needs is more experience. I just hope he can somehow get that experience at White Hart Lane; though he seems doomed to ride the bench for now.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 23:16
Rookie

Just the experience of being a part of an English club will greatly improve his skills. However, i don't mean to disrespect Canadian clubs, but he would not have improved too much if he had stayed at Calgary.:undecide:
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 00:45
Forum Manager
Star Player

I know what you're saying, but I don't entirely agree. Lars got to be as good as he is by playing for teams that aren't even A-League calibre. And Pat Onstad, who I still think is our best keeper after Forrest, has never played in Europe.*

I think the usual rule of "Europe-is-better" doesn't necessarily apply to goalkeepers, though it does to probably every other position. Unlike defenders, goalkeepers can develop top-level skills without having to face top-level strikers. A shot is a shot is a shot. The important thing is to get lots of game-time and learn to perform under pressure in a variety of situations.
-----------
* Sorry, I forgot he did spend some time on the bench for a short while at Dundee United, but never saw action. I think he's better off in the A-League playing regularly.

Last edited by Jeff; August 13th, 2002 at 00:53.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 02:08
Rookie

Hirschfeld

Could he play in some reserve games for them? Or doesn't it work like that?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 22:08
Forum Manager
Star Player

Indeed he can. And that's about as much action as he's likely to see for a while.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 23:14
Premier Player

Hes young though, and he can develop better in Tottenhams reserves then in Calgary
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2002, 04:30
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
spurs are close to sign hirschfeld...

http://www.spurs2000.com/news/news_...2002_08_29d.htm

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2002, 06:15
Premier Player

Sullivan broke something, an arm i think. Anyhoo, he's out for a couple months and Lars is No. 2
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 00:48
Forum Manager
Star Player

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2002, 18:25
Forum Manager
Star Player

Good news!

Lars is about to be loaned out to another team in order to give him some playing time.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2003, 04:15
Forum Manager
Star Player

"I heard that Glenn Hoddle said that he was delighted with my progress since I arrived at White Hart Lane and hearing your manager say something like that is always nice. Personally, I feel I have come on leaps and bounds since coming to the Premiership." - Hirschfeld

Source: Hirschfeld's diary
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2003, 07:28
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Friday, February 21, 2003

Spurs loan Hirschfeld to Luton

Tottenham have loaned their third-choice keeper Lars Hirschfeld to Luton Town for a month.

Hirschfeld spent much of the season on the bench at White Hart Lane but Neil Sullivan's recent return to fitness means he provides cover for first-choice Kasey Keller.

The Canadian international has yet to play for Spurs, but is more likely to get first-team football at Kenilworth Road, where manager Joe Kinnear has had problems in goal for most of the season.

Kinnear told the club's official website: 'He looks very impressive, so I'll see how he shapes up and I might him involved.

'I've got him for a month whith a view to extending it to the end of the season.'

Luton are currently just ouside the play-off places.

soccernet

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2003, 18:09
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
I think the usual rule of "Europe-is-better" doesn't necessarily apply to goalkeepers, though it does to probably every other position. Unlike defenders, goalkeepers can develop top-level skills without having to face top-level strikers. A shot is a shot is a shot. The important thing is to get lots of game-time and learn to perform under pressure in a variety of situations.
-----------
* Sorry, I forgot he did spend some time on the bench for a short while at Dundee United, but never saw action. I think he's better off in the A-League playing regularly.
I don't always think this is true. Look at American Brad Friedel. He spent a whole year on the Liverpool bench when he was older than Hirschfeld is now because he wasn't ready to play in the Premiership. There are non-shot stopping factors such as positioning that will be exposed time and time again if you are not ready, and learning just how good Premiership strikers are and how much they can do with so little as opposed to the Canadian League or MLS has to be devestating for a keeper who is probably used to stopping most shots.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2003, 19:44
Forum Manager
Star Player

I don't really understand how the case of Friedel illustrates your point. Perhaps you could elaborate.

I believe Friedel would not even have been on the Liverpool bench if he wasn't ready to play in the Premiership.

Also, how did he become the outstanding keeper he is today? Certainly not from years of playing in the Premiership. It was from years of youth, college, and MLS soccer, which goes to prove my point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in