Best panel: CBC or TSN? - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Best panel: CBC or TSN?
CBC: Williams, DeVos, Lenarduzzi 1 11.11%
TSN: Rauter/Joshi , Forrest, Howard 6 66.67%
They're even 2 22.22%
I haven't seen CBC's coverage so I have no opinion 0 0%
I haven't seen TSN's coverage so I have no opinion 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2002, 22:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Best panel: CBC or TSN?

Who's got the best panel of commentators for the World Cup?

I think CBC has the edge.

Once you get used to his odd mannerisms, Brian Williams beats out Vic Rauter. He's much more outspoken and unafraid to ruffle the feathers of the soccer establishment.

Jason DeVos speaks better than Craig Forrest, and has more interesting insights on his telestrator analysis than does **** Howard. Howard's analysis is often trite and he constantly interrupts himself.

I got drunk very quickly the other night after I agreed to take a drink every time **** Howard said "to my mind". My friend also got blasted by quaffing one every time Howard said "the key thing is".

Bob Lenarduzzi I have never liked, but he at least doesn't talk just for the sake of filling air time.
------------------
NOTE: the ridiculous automatic censoring software on Xtratime has prevented the proper display of Mr. Howard's first name. Anyway, if you didn't know, it's D-I-C-K. :rollani:

Last edited by Jeff; June 13th, 2002 at 22:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2002, 09:01
Rising Star

Yeah Right! :)

I think you're not getting enough sleep Jeff because TSN's team is far superior to the CBC crew. Just much more depth and knowledge & experience in general. Forrest worked as an soccer TV analyst for British ITN, Howard has just loads of broadcasting experience and Rauter - though sometimes pausey just beats Williams flat out who has NO soccer experience whatsoever.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2002, 14:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

If experience was all that mattered, we'd all be watching Graham Leggatt.

It's the quality of the presentation and the ability of the commentators to communicate useful and/or interesting insights that counts.

Judge them on the work they do, not the baggage that they carry with them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2002, 10:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Rauter continues to mangle players' names. I think he's even worse than Legatt was in that regard.

He keeps calling Christian Ziege "Ziegler".

And he persists in calling Oliver Neuville "Noy-ville", even after the English match commentator had said, "Some people pronounce it Noy-ville, but it's Neuville" [the French pronunciation]. I guess Rauter thinks he knows better.

Rauter is baffled by any name of three or more syllables. Gert Verheyen, the Belgian midfielder, to Rauter, is something like "Verein".

And thank god Slovenia is out of the competition, so we don't have to hear Vic saying "Slov-ay-nia".
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2002, 16:02
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
I voted they are even because Mr.Howard is superior to Lenarduzzi.
Howard may be kind of repetitive but Lenarduzzi's analysis is sometimes weak.
Forrest and DeVos are the same to me.
Williams is better than Rauter and Joshi.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2002, 01:30
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

I hate to break the news to you but "Slo-vay-nia" is a closer pronounciation of the country than the awful "Slo-veee-nia" that 99% of the English-speaking world use to pronounce that beautiful land. I never understood why they can say "Slo-vah-kia" instead of "Slo-vay-kia". But in Slovenija's case they butcher the word.

Brian Williams to my mind is a wonderful broadcaster and when presenting soccer he's even better. Clear voice and brings up some nice comments for a first timer. De Vos is not as good as Forrest but maybe down the road he will be.
Between Howard and Lenarduzzi the key thing is knowledge and Howard shows a little more than Bobby.

But the real thing that drags CBC's coverage down below TSN's is the horrible and mundane Steve Armitage. :embarass: :embarass:

Reprezentaciju ste ukrali, istinu ne možete

"Football is an extension of the war by other means"

Franjo Tudman

PS. Iako si najavio ne moraš dolaziti u Hercegovinu, ovamo nisi dobodošao. Sasvim sigurno su ti otvorena vrata onih koji su skupa sa tobom radili na zabrani utakmice, i otvorena su ti vrata njihovog grada gdje se pale i brane hrvatske zastave.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2002, 08:28
Premier Player

While for some reason I enjoy the banter between TSN guys more, it bothers me how often Vic Rauter mispronounces players' names.

Just now, when referring to Camara, he called him hen-rie when it's obviously ohn-rie and he keeps calling Diop dee-opp instead of jopp. I watch French league often, so I was familiar with the names even before the WC, but all you have to do to pick them up is listen to Motson and co.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2002, 21:34
Rookie

Vic Rauter and Brian Williams are both very poor announcers and their lack of knowledge shows in their questions and comments. **** Howard just seems pissed off all the time, would have been better to bring back Graham Leggatt. He always seemed well-informed, enthused and I enjoyed his reports from France in WC'98. Steve Armitage is an idiot and talks out of his a$$. He doesn't seem to stop talking about England and Beckham, and after the Arg-Eng thriller decided to do a three star selection of which all three went to England including David Beckham who played like crap.

I like the TLN panel best when they're talking English. They're very knowledgeable, passionate and get very angry with each other when talking about the Italian NT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in