Sepp Blatter - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2002, 12:25 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Sepp Blatter

Brian Williams says Sepp Blatter "makes Juan Antonio Samaranch look like a humanitarian".

He's right, of course. But I wish he had gone to Bob Lenarduzzi for comment as well, because Lenarduzzi's pals at the top of the CSA have been shamelessly standing by their man Blatter, helping to re-elect him this week as FIFA president.

The Canadian Soccer Association will have much to answer for when Blatter is conclusively exposed as a crook and a dictator, as I believe he ultimately will.

Williams is to be credited for daring to speak out. I could imagine Jim Fleming, Andy Sharpe, and Kevan Pipe choking on their cornflakes as he said it ('cause I almost did).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2002, 18:54
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
What people wouldn't do for a guaranteed $250,000 a year(you know the FIFA handout, a plan of Blatter's). I can't see a country like Canada taking a stand when CONCACAF as a confederation have decided to support Blatter.
It might sound bizarre but a certain amount of 'dictatorship' probably saved FIFA during the Havelange years but accusations made against Blatter are more serious than most of the ones made against Havelange.
-Borrowing money from 'future' tournaments to hide losses (as a result of ISL's collapse)
-Buying votes
the list goes on...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2002, 21:55
Premier Player

Here's what this boils down to. Blatter is leading FIFA to financial ruin. It doesn't matter if he's doing something illegal or not. For the good of the game, he should've been voted out. Then again, though, when has the good of the game been the prime concern of anyone within FIFA?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2002, 01:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Blatter has moved quickly to fire his arch-rival Zen-Ruffinen and squash the lawsuits against himself.

Last edited by Jeff; June 1st, 2002 at 01:57.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2002, 00:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

The CSA's Jim Fleming has received his payoff for being a toady to Sepp Blatter.

He's been given the FIFA Order of Merit, joining such illustrious men as Pele, Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, and Nelson Mandela.

:rollani:

And read this informative article:

The Day Soccer Voted For Sleaze
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2002, 02:28
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
A pity for sure. Corruption is a certainty for people in power these days hence my signature (for those who haven't turned that option off )
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2002, 21:37
Rookie

During Fleming's tenure, I think canadian soccer has improved. During 1982-86 helped Canada qualify for the World Cup. 1998-2002 has seen progresses in the game(Gold Cup win and 3rd place). Not sure if the CSA is directly involved with domestic club football, but if it is: helped the CSL get off the ground in 1987 and has helped in the possible formation of the CUSL. Even though his drawbacks are not qualifying for WC 2002, Olympics, lack of friendlies, I think his tenures have been justified. Does anyone know any candidates for the next president of the CSA?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2002, 09:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Following the 1986 World Cup, there was no discernible improvement in Canadian soccer, until Holger Osieck replaced Lenarduzzi as national team coach. It's still a question whether the formation of Canadian A-League clubs was a step forward or backward, and Fleming had little to do with that anyway.

I have no doubt the next president of the CSA will be hand-picked from among the remaining members of the Sepp Blatter fan club.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2002, 21:50
Rookie

Actually I hope Fleming is involved in the process of deciding a new president. He wasn't president between 1986-98 and his two four year terms have went well as explained above. Also Canada's women's teams have done quite well over the past four years and hosted the U19 championships.

I don't like when people come out accusing organizations such as the CSA as being corrupt when there are no well documented stories or investigations. It doesn't do the canadian game any good. They are undermanned and under-funded and considering the circumstance I believe have made progress over the past four years. The fact that they voted for Blatter doesn't really mean anything to me since it wasn't like the CSA were the only one voting for him.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2002, 22:07
Premier Player

Quote:
I don't like when people come out accusing organizations such as the CSA as being corrupt when there are no well documented stories or investigations
Helping a thief steal makes you a thief, no? CSA supports Blatter. Blatter is a crook, and there are both well documented stories and investigations. CSA, by supporting Blatter, is doing there part in ruining the financial well-being of the game worldwide.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2002, 08:26
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

If the whole system rots to destruction then good.

The only way to fix this is to let it bankrupt itself. Once these criminals are exposed and politically destroyed then maybe a real set up can emerge with fiscal responsibility and accountability, the two main rules of the organization.

This problem more than likely (I don't have any direct evidence but enough stories are emerging) started a long time ago with Havelange.

These bastard.s have taken great strides to damage the game. FIFA keeps wrapping this image around itself that it's the greatest organization on Earth but it appears it's rotten to the core.

It sickens me.

Can anyone please inform me whether FIFA has any rules requiring that it open its books to some sort of independent auditor.

If Juan "Buy me a Ranch" can leave the IOC why not Blatter if the allegations are true?

Whoever challenged Blatter should be given respect for taking such a stand. Blatter the dictator will know what to do. All he has to do is ask the brown nosing Canadian supporters what PM Chretien does to his dissidents and voila! A formula for oppression.

Reprezentaciju ste ukrali, istinu ne možete

"Football is an extension of the war by other means"

Franjo Tudman

PS. Iako si najavio ne moraš dolaziti u Hercegovinu, ovamo nisi dobodošao. Sasvim sigurno su ti otvorena vrata onih koji su skupa sa tobom radili na zabrani utakmice, i otvorena su ti vrata njihovog grada gdje se pale i brane hrvatske zastave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in