10 Most Prestigous Teams in Canada - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2002, 19:24 Thread Starter
Rookie

10 Most Prestigous Teams in Canada

Here's a list of my 10 Most Prestigous Teams in Canada that are still active. Taking into consideration length of existence, league success, support, here is my list

1. Vancouver Whitecaps
2. UBC Thunderbirds
3. Toronto Lynx
4. Montreal Impact
5. Calgary Storm
6. Ottawa Wizards
7. Sir Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks
8. Western Mustangs
9. Halifax King of Donair
10.Victoria United

With my limited knowledge of the domestic game the list is up for debate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2002, 00:23
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Hopefully this will change in the future soon

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2002, 06:25
Rising Star

Montreal Impact deserve to be higher then the Lynx. In the 90's the Impact drew 6,000+ per game.

Their last attendance was 5,800 ... so things look like they are moving on up.

Lynx drew 2700 last year. They will most likely draw lower this year because of the stadium situation.

Victoria United deserve a better standing. This team has been in exsistance since the 1950's and will surely be a part of a future Canadian league. They have a nice stadium (6,000 seater) draw about 600 average per game in a BC only League, and ... have a deep history.

In 1950 I believe they just barely lost to the English National team by a score of 3-2!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2002, 05:35
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
How do you measure the "prestige" of a Canadian soccer team?

[I know, I know: with a microscope]

But seriously, what is prestige, and what are its distinguishing features? Popularity? Name recognition? Longevity? Success on the field? Ticket sales?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2002, 18:11 Thread Starter
Rookie

Comparing teams from different leagues is like apples and oranges, but I thought it would be an fun idea since ESPN and CNNSI do similar rankings and to certain extent FIFA/COCA-COLA. Even though those lists are considered meaningless by serious soccer pundits they nonetheless attract attention.

I thought the Whitecaps were far and away the most prestigious because of past titles, particulary NASL, and have always been well supported despite management problems and have a long history.

Since UBC won numerous university championships(8 titles since '75), play in a respectable league, compete across the country, I thought of them as second. I'm not too sure about to sure about their fan support but since they're backed from the school they'll probably never go under.

I thought of the Lynx over the Impact because Toronto draws well over 2,000 and there hasn't been to my knowledge news of the team going under. Although the Impact are on solid grounds now and will no doubt become more successfull in the immediate future, they had attendance and financial problems last year.

Calgary and Ottawa are very similar. Both have stable ownership and both seem commited to long term success. I give the nod to Calgary solely on the fact that they play in a higher league.

I ranked Laurier and Western as 7 and 8 based on their recent school success, 2 titles each in the last four years but on closer inspection should have put UVIC and McGill since they both have one more title than either WLU or Western, 3.

For 9 and 10, I was struggling to round out the list, so I thought of the two most succesfull provincial teams and Victoria and Halifax came to mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in