1860 Munich Coming to Toronto - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2002, 01:56 Thread Starter
Rising Star

1860 Munich Coming to Toronto

If you're serious about soccer and consider yourself a soccer fan you should go see this game. It's on May 18th at York Stadium. This will be an A-Squad visiting with the likes of Davor Suker playing.

The Toronto Ultras will be at the match supplying you with European style atmosphere and full pyrotechnics. If you are interested in joining the Ultras log on to http://www.torontoultras.com

Check out our fan forums: http://www.xdesign.net/torontoultras/forum/default.asp

OFFICIAL PRESS BRIEF

German visitor: The Toronto Lynx will host 1860 Munich of the German Bundesliga in an exhibition game at Toronto's York University on May 18.

The Munich team, currently eighth in the German standings, also will play the Milwaukee Rampage of the A-League on May 12. The Rampage also will play FC Nuernberg, another German side.

"Any time you play an international match like this you always get excited about it," Peter Pinizzotto, Toronto's general manager and head coach, said Tuesday.

"And not only myself, but the players especially. Because they want to show what they can do against a team that plays in the Bundesliga."

Other teams to have played the Lynx in exhibition games include Italy's Reggina and Portugal's Santa Clara.

The Lynx hope, with the addition of temporary bleachers, that the York facility will accommodate some 5,000 fans with further expansion available if needed.

Toronto opens its season April 20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2002, 18:33 Thread Starter
Rising Star

More info ...

LYNX TO BATTLE TSV 1860 MUNICH

TORONTO, ON—March 27, 2002…The Toronto Lynx Soccer Club, in partnership with the German Consulate General in Toronto, is proud to announce an International Soccer Friendly Match against the German Bundesliga Club, TSV 1860 Munich, on Saturday, May 18 at York University Stadium.

For soccer fans, this is a once in a lifetime event which will be a part of the First Canadian-German Festival taking place in the GTA from April 25 to June 1. The festival will include concerts, tourism and art exhibits, theatre, and other dynamic designed to showcase German culture and lifestyle. The soccer match and the festival were both made possible through the generous support of the German business community in Toronto. The main sponsors for these events are Lufthansa German Airlines, Husky Manufacturing, Mercedes-Benz, Miele Appliances and Siemens.

The German team will provide the Toronto Lynx with one of their toughest challenges since the club’s inception in 1997. TSV 1860 Munich is currently in 8th place in the First Division Bundesliga and will be travelling to North America in May with their head coach, Peter Pacult and their full roster. The line-up of Munich 1860 boasts several soccer stars including forwards Martin "Maximale" Max who has been a top scorer over the last several years, Paul Agostino who originates from Australia and has played 14 games with the Australian national team, and of course, super star Davor Suker who scored numerous goals in a recent European Championship. Their defence is built around Tomas Votava who originates from the Czech Republic. The team will also include Thomas Haessler, who was part of Germany’s 1990 National team when they became World Champions for the third time in Italy.

Mainstream Munich media will be travelling with the club to showcase this soccer event for Germans back home. Nicole Hartrell, the Lynx owner and Chief Operating Officer is thrilled with this announcement. "With the demolition of Varsity Stadium we didn’t think that Toronto would ever see another National or International soccer event", said Hartrell. "It is only through the generosity of the German business community and the leadership of the German Consulate that this match can take place! We will be forever indebted to them and really appreciate their commitment to further develop the game in Canada. This event will allow us to highlight Canadian elite soccer play and also underscore the acute need in our city for a large capacity stadium—not only for soccer but also for football!"

The match will kick off at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 18th with pre-game ceremonies showcasing the German culture scheduled for 2:30 p.m. York University is the only stadium available for this match and seats 2,500. The club will be putting an additional 2,500 bleachers in place for this event. Priced at $20/adult and $10/youth and senior, tickets will go on sale next week and can be obtained through the Toronto Lynx Soccer Club by calling (416) 251-4625, ext. 31. Soccer fans are encouraged to book early due to limited seating.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2002, 16:15
Premier Player

I don't think any of the world-cup bound players will make this trip. This includes Suker.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2002, 08:31
LIT
Star Player

Teams: Atlético Madrid, AC Parma, 1.FC Nürnberg, AC Milan
Quote:
Originally posted by Barlinek
I don't think any of the world-cup bound players will make this trip. This includes Suker.
I can´t remember any player excluding Suker that will go to the WC!
And Suker isn´t a starter! He has scored twice in league and once in cup i think. Nevertheless, he is(was) a great player!
Quote:
The Rampage also will play FC Nuernberg, another German side.
Is that true?
I didn´t hear anything about that, yet!
But that would be cool! I like Canada and my fav club 1.FC Nürnberg playing there is nice to hear!
Hopefully they won´t show you on the festival only these old folks musik groups and so...
The typical imagine of a German...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2002, 13:25 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by LIT

Hopefully they won´t show you on the festival only these old folks musik groups and so...
The typical imagine of a German...
Hopefully they will! Hehe ... I'm JK ... We do have the second largest Oktoberfest in the world in a city called Kitchener/Waterloo that's not too far away from Toronto.

The city used to be called Berlin until they changed it after the first world war. Kinda sucks! Because we would have 3 world class cities in Ontario! (London, Paris, Berlin) lol ... ok nevermind
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2002, 15:15
LIT
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarrek

Hopefully they will! Hehe ... I'm JK ... We do have the second largest Oktoberfest in the world in a city called Kitchener/Waterloo that's not too far away from Toronto.

Hehe! That´s cool, of course!
I think outside of Europe Germany is only reduced to Bavaria(Bayern). If you ask someone about Germany thea say they know BMW, Bayern München Castle Neuschwanstein and the Oktoberfest!
BTW, I´m from the northern part of Bayern which is called Franken(Franconia) and proud of it!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2002, 19:39 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I used to live in Munchen for two years ...

Lovely city!

My favourite beer is from Munchen ... Hacker Pschorr Weisse

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2002, 22:24
LIT
Star Player

Yes Munich is cool! I have relatives there and it´s a pretty nice city! Especially the beers are good! You know Erdinger Weißbier?
Most famous weißbier...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2002, 00:49 Thread Starter
Rising Star

No I dont ... i only had Hacker and Schneider Weiss ... I like the Lighter sweeter ones then the dark ones ...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2002, 06:04
Rookie

Finally, a decent Euro team comes to Toronto. Good job by the Lynx!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2002, 04:18
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
May 12 result:

Milwaukee Rampage 0, 1860 Munich 7
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2002, 06:03 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I expect 1860 to do the same to the Lynx! I mean that's why we're here for! The Goals and Bundesliga top scorer Max Martin!!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2002, 07:03
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Are any of you guys meeting at the game? Or are you interested in meeting?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2002, 07:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

The Ultras (About 50 of us) will be meeting somewhere on the York Grounds. We don't know where yet but will decide soon.

Watch our website for more info ...

CYA at the game.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2002, 14:55
Rookie

??????// 1860 Munich

Why what is that the name of the team???

How Old are they ??? they cant be

imagine if you get their autograph

LOL

Why do they call their team that.

Why not Munich somthing else
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2002, 15:11 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by CCC RIDER

??????// 1860 Munich
Why what is that the name of the team???
How Old are they ??? they cant be
imagine if you get their autograph

LOL
Why do they call their team that.
Why not Munich somthing else
Why not 1860 ? Their official name is:

TSV 1860 Munchen

Their nickname is "The Lions" ...

Hey ... it's much better then naming the team after some furry animal or critter ...

ie; Munich Mighty Ducks ...

or Lynx!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2002, 21:30
LIT
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarrek

Why not 1860 ? Their official name is:

TSV 1860 Munchen

Their nickname is "The Lions" ...

Hey ... it's much better then naming the team after some furry animal or critter ...

ie; Munich Mighty Ducks ...

or Lynx!

The number is in the name because the club was founded in 1860!
The same goes for example for FC Schalke 04 or TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen, which were founded in 1904!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2002, 03:25
Rising Star

ey budy (ccc)its good euro soc teams dont have to associate with stupidity (animals, etc) for their name, as do sports in north america. The city name and history is passion and pride in itself enough for strong identity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in