Who is Lars Hirschfeld??? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2002, 03:46 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Who is Lars Hirschfeld???

21/03/2002, Hirschfeld goes on Spurs trial
Tottenham have become the third English club to take Canadian international goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld on a week's trial this year.

The 23-year-old custodian, who is under contract to Canadian club Calgary Storm, has had similar trials over the last few weeks with Division One sides Portsmouth and Wolves.

Hirschfeld is keen to try and latch on with a European-based club, after an impressive display for his country during the Concacaf Gold Cup in January, where he was named top goalkeeper in the 2002 edition of the confederation's championship.

The Canadian has had trials with Scottish Premier League side Hearts and Division One club Barnsley, and was involved with German Bundesliga side Energie Cottbus. He spent last summer playing on loan with the Vancouver Whitecaps but he is looking to make a big move to a higher profile club.

Glenn Hoddle's side already have Scotland number one Neil Sullivan, American international Kasey Keller, and 20-year-old Irish custodian Gavin Kelly on their goalkeeping roster. Keller out-duelled Hirschfeld in goal during a penalty shoot-out at the Gold Cup, when the United States dethroned Canada as title holders in the semi-finals.

Calgary Storm manager and director of football Thomas Niendorf said: "The goal for Lars is to try out for the (Spurs) third goalie position. "It would basically be an apprenticeship for him for the next one or two years.

"They (Spurs) are looking to bring in a third goalie to develop as a professional prospect." Hirschfeld may see action for Spurs' reserves against arch-rivals Arsenal on Thursday.

Niendorf added: "He feels very comfortable. I talked to him today and he had two very good training sessions. "He feels they are making a very serious effort to look at him."

Source : PlanetFootball
------------------------------------------
is he good???

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2002, 05:01
Rising Star

Oh yeah he's good... Young, talented keeper that backstopped us this year at the Gold Cup. And might I ad he was MVP in alot of peoples eyes for the whole dang tournament! But the real funny thing is that he was our 3rd string keeper... Now he's #2 behind a healthy Craig Forrest. But wherever he goes he's bound to please.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2002, 06:15
Premier Player

ya, hes definitly got some stuff!!! Im still a little worried that it may have just been a case of good luck during that tournament..

But you have to be good to be lucky right??

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2002, 23:23
Premier Player

In my opinion, Lars is better than Forrest. I just don't think Craigwill be himself after coming back from injury. From what I understand, Sullivan and Keller are 'old' right? Cuz i dont want him going somewhere where he wont play, but he is young and could develop into a class act for any club.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2002, 03:40
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
IMHO he's better off playing for Calgary than warming the bench with Spurs. He's got loads of skill and talent; what he needs is experience, and he won't get it by being third-string on some hotshot European team.

Goalkeeper is the one position in soccer where you don't need to play in Europe to become world-class.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2002, 19:55
Premier Player

Lars is okay! I saw him play in the Gold Cup...and he did fine! i remember he did like 4-5 stops at one break away for the ecuadorians or the US team....it was pretty nice to see such a talented player in our rosters :P not many teams have good goalies! Defence and midfeilders are and always will be the the KEY objective to a firm and decisive win (look under your soccer book of great games )

Other than that, all i know that he plays for a 3rd division team in England...I don't know much, but i hope that he will be transfered for something good. I don't expect him to play in the EPL, but i do want him to go to some 2nd division team.....shall i recommend a few that might need a goalie???

-Crystal Palace - Ever since 1997 season.....For christ sakes!!

-Burnley - After Man City and the wolves go...they want a piece of the action.

-Rotherdam Utd - would be nice if they can stop getting a score of 7-1 in ever 2nd game for one!

- Birmingham Utd - They just need a leader, period! There team is anarchy!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2002, 08:03
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Quote:
Originally posted by Kappa18
...all i know that he plays for a 3rd division team in England...
He's actually going to be with Tottenham for the rest of this season.

He shut out Watford in a reserves game on Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in