What Canada needs? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 08:06 Thread Starter
Premier Player

What Canada needs?

Many would say alot about Canadian soccer, but for one thing, it all will tell you that our Soccer is horrible and un professional.

It is true in many ways....

but i think that Canadian soccer must evolve and become great before we start sliding back wards to the lower rankings of FIFA

For one.....I would say this to everyone....when we watch TV and its on a sports channel...for the love of god! STOP AIRING CURLING..The sport is dumb and its pointless....If we have more soccer on those channels, i think it will get some attention. What the heck is curling.?!!!??! Ice.....Bitchy Ladys.....Brooms you buy at Home Hardware.....crap! This sucks...we want to see some action :P hehehehe

Secondly, we need to stop having 'ethnic' minorities rule out soccer! Let soccer be everyones game! i hate it when one culture or group calls soccer and doesn't allow another one to join in! If we are going to represent canada, we should represent canada as Canada and not Canada+ another country.......

Thirdly....we need to stop thinkin aboug having olympics...We need to have World Cup matches! People might critisize us, but i think canada, with all its stadiums and infrastructure can pull of one of the best world cup soccer events of the century!!! think of it??? you build stadiums in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Halifax, plus you have many stadiums already built its just great. On top of that the money that comes in (revenue) will be givien to a future Canadian Premeir leauge....

Look at the Americans..they got MLS...and MLS is doing pretty good so far...its mixing american style arena and soccer together...I think Canada can benefit from a World Cup soccer tournament just like US did and eventually made MLS....

When those 3 demands are doen watch Canada slip from 97 to 37, just like that

we'll give Paraguay and Germany a run for there money next time they come on the pitch.

PS: ALSO.....****IN' get rid of the Edmonton stadium as a National Stadium...Have something like the skydome or Varsity a National........no one hardly comes to the games and it gives up bad reputations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 17:33
Rising Star

Re: What Canada needs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kappa18

PS: ALSO.....****IN' get rid of the Edmonton stadium as a National Stadium...Have something like the skydome or Varsity a National........no one hardly comes to the games and it gives up bad reputations!
I won't bother to comment on you other points but I had to answer to you PS. Edmonton is a class facility. Skydome is astroturf crap, and varsity will soon be demolished so they can't be considered a national stadium. Add that to the fact that if you look at the last WC Qualifiers in Toronto and there were less than 10000 fans sitting in a half condemned stadium and you say that Commonwealth gives Canada a bad reputation?

Furthermore Edmonton gets this bad rep because of the last Canada cup tournament which was held there. How many fans were supposed to turn out for a meaningless tournament in which the CSA screwed up and didn't promote it at all?

To back up my point here are the last three home games Canada played in WCQ.

Canada vs T&T at Edmonton: Attendance: 25280
Canada vs Panama at Winnipeg: Attendance: 3000
Canada vs Mexico at Toronto: 6500

Seems to me that Edmonton wins hands down.

Last edited by Krammerhead; March 15th, 2002 at 17:41.
post #3 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 18:01
Rising Star

Good Points ... and some bad ones ...

Commonwealth Stadium and Edmonton are great places to have NT matches. We saw this back in 94 when 52,000 watched Canada tie eventual champion Brazil 1-1.

There's nothing wrong with Commonwealth.

Varsity? Well ... a great venue IF it would be renovated. But it won't and hence is being demolished.

The Skydome field is too small and there will be problems installing a grass or fieldturf surface. So forget about that one.

As for the National Team we could of had a great team.

Had Owen Hargreaves played for Canada it would bolster our midfield. If Tomasz Radzinski played in all games I'm sure it would add additional firepower. Same goes for Aguiar(Benfica) and Jazic(Vienna). Two other holdouts.

The key is to support what we have now. If the current A-League teams sold out all their matches all the time I'm sure the press and the potential corporate sponsors would notice.

post #4 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 21:36
Rising Star

Montreal has the best "futbol" stadium in the country...But of course no one has bothered to mention it because they use it all the time for that sh!t sport...baseball
post #5 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 22:31
Premier Player

Teams: athletic club,Red Bull NY,Euskadi NT,west ham
post #6 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 22:50
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Sartoris
Montreal has the best "futbol" stadium in the country...But of course no one has bothered to mention it because they use it all the time for that sh!t sport...baseball
It would be great if it had real grass, but it doesn't. But if we are going to consider astroturf stadiums in our criteria then BC Place in Vancouver would be the best stadium in the country as it was built specifically for soccer (and football but the Whitecaps were the big draw in those days). It is far superior to Olympic stadium. Unfortunately it has astroturf and a roof over it.
post #7 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 23:49 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I didn't say that the commonwealth stadium is bad....Edmonton is the problem..I don't think that a city in the middle of alberta that is cold most of the time and has a population of 400,000 can host a Nation Stadium. True; that Canada doesn't care what nationalistic or not, but the fact is, to gain more promotion and 'fans' we must move this stadium out east (or even vancouver)...So you say we don't have a stadium....well then build a stadium, a nice PURE soccer stadium...in ottawa or North of Toronto. It will defintately suit that area and would give us a name that we need.

Canada is lagging in soccer. I see the TV and i harldy get any soccer, and when you live in this part of the hemisphere, if they give you ANY type of soccer (even womens ).

I don't support skydome being one, but if we can create a new stadium to suit soccer and only soccer i would give it the go ahead.
post #8 of 221 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 23:54 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Also!!

****ING GET RID OF CURLING!! GOD I HATE IT!!!!!

This is one of the most boringess sports ever. In any given sunday, of any given season of the year..you have curling...what the heck is that....one person slides down and then you get a broom and you wipe ice so you can get it in the bulleye?!?!?

**** THAT!!!!!

YOu have 4 games on a 24 hour time than 1 soccer game

and we have to wake up early for the soccer games on TSN
post #9 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 00:57
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
How do you pick up TSN in Ramat Gan?
post #10 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 01:35 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Pickup in Ramat Gan

I have my ways....

I acutally live in Canada (Toronto), but i used to Live in Ramat Gan.... i got into Canadian (CANUCK) soccer since i came here and i found it to be great, but that its not big and im persuing it to be big

Im no fan of the Toronto Lynx and all, but i support the National Team....

TSN usually airs soccer around 10 in the morning every saturday..I hardly watch it, but when i do, its the only entertainment i got :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat:
post #11 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 07:44
Premier Player

Quote:
and we have to wake up early for the soccer games on TSN
That has nothing to do with the state of football in Canada. It's simply time difference. Unless they forced the Premiership teams to play at 3am, there's no way around it.
post #12 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 08:10 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Yea there is!!!!

They tape the game and show it prime time!

neighter way the game IS taped for us, but they got no slots in prime time (6-10PM) to show it, thus they show it at 3AM...

whats better to see at 6PM..OFF the record...CURLING...some lacrosse team thats playing at Maple Leafs garden?? Gymnastic??? women body building???

Give me a break..

we're discriminated
post #13 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 08:11
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Re: What Canada needs?

Quote:
Secondly, we need to stop having 'ethnic' minorities rule out soccer! Let soccer be everyones game! i hate it when one culture or group calls soccer and doesn't allow another one to join in! If we are going to represent canada, we should represent canada as Canada and not Canada+ another country.......
This has been attempted at the league level in Australia, as far as I can read it hasn't made any difference in popularity. Maybe I am wrong but there is a large pool of potential players sitting in the immigrant population that can be developed. If our NT succeeds interest might trickle down to 'fans' and ultimately recognition by the people with the real dough
post #14 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 09:47
Premier Player

Quote:
They tape the game and show it prime time!
Sure, as most of us have no social lives and would just love to spend every saturday evening watching a game I already know the outcome of.

No offense, but this pub mentality gets on my nerves. It seems that everyone I meet is a better coach than Sir Alex or knows how to improve Canadian football or how to bring lo scudetto back to Milano. The biggest issue in Canadian football is the socio-economical situation. Football isn't all that popular, therefore no one wants to invest money, as there's no profit to be made. Football simply doesn't have deep roots here in Canada, and it's hard to change that. Hopeless romantics out there will surely say that success would bring more fans, but does anyone remember seing hordes of kids playing football in the streets in the aftermath of Canada's qualification for the EC in Mexico?
post #15 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 17:33 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Pauldino,

Thats why im suggestion that Canada sign up for the World Cup games soon. We'll build Stadiums, we'll build passion for the games and most of all we'll build fans.

Money that comes in as revenues are triple in World cup and the Country gets it, but also....soccer associations get it as well.

Look at America!
The U.S hosted World Cup '94....There soccer was nothing...no one cared about it. no one knew about it. After the World Cup was held in the US, people started to fully undertstand soccer. Thus, the MLS was made by the funds given to the World Cup revenues. It was a very nice thing indeed to get from the FIFA association.
And thats why i think Canada can do the same as America has done. They'll give us so much money that we can possibly make our own leauge system and have atleast 25 teams (and make upper and lower leauges and then 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on....)

Once we do that...we got the whole system going
post #16 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 17:41 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Regarding the soccer ethnicity thing,

What i meant is that we should open the doors to more minorites and immigrants who are potentially well fit to play in our National Teams. I think that Canada has infact a lot of good players, but are not looking very hard to find them.

I think if we open REAL football clubs, that are sponsored by REAL football teams abroad (Monaco AS, Paris St. Germain, Charlton Ahtletics....etc...) than we can get potential talents and keep these talents instead of having a Radzinsky or Owen tragedy.

Its a realy waste just to say for example that, "ooo well, since this guys is italian or Greek or spanish or chechz or Polish or portuguese than he is a potential player than someone who is from china or macau or niger"..... let all have the game

Thanks!
post #17 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 18:10
Rising Star

Edmonton

Quote:
I didn't say that the commonwealth stadium is bad....Edmonton is the problem..I don't think that a city in the middle of alberta that is cold most of the time and has a population of 400,000 can host a Nation Stadium. True; that Canada doesn't care what nationalistic or not, but the fact is, to gain more promotion and 'fans' we must move this stadium out east (or even vancouver)...So you say we don't have a stadium....well then build a stadium, a nice PURE soccer stadium...in ottawa or North of Toronto. It will defintately suit that area and would give us a name that we need.

Canada is lagging in soccer. I see the TV and i harldy get any soccer, and when you live in this part of the hemisphere, if they give you ANY type of soccer (even womens ).

I don't support skydome being one, but if we can create a new stadium to suit soccer and only soccer i would give it the go ahead.

I think you're a bit out of touch with Canada. Edmonton has a GTA population of 1,000,000 with the actual city population being 700,000.

There's nothing wrong with Edmonton! It CAN support big soccer events.

There are plans in Toronto to build a soccer specific stadium in the 25,000-30,000 range however I can't disclose anything such as location and who's it going to be built by) at the moment.

Building a stadium is not as easy as you think.

Where are you going to come up with the money for it ? Your only choice is the private sector.

Sorry .. the public won't fund another Skydome.
post #18 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 18:18
Rising Star

NASL

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulinho

Sure, as most of us have no social lives and would just love to spend every saturday evening watching a game I already know the outcome of.

No offense, but this pub mentality gets on my nerves. It seems that everyone I meet is a better coach than Sir Alex or knows how to improve Canadian football or how to bring lo scudetto back to Milano. The biggest issue in Canadian football is the socio-economical situation. Football isn't all that popular, therefore no one wants to invest money, as there's no profit to be made. Football simply doesn't have deep roots here in Canada, and it's hard to change that. Hopeless romantics out there will surely say that success would bring more fans, but does anyone remember seing hordes of kids playing football in the streets in the aftermath of Canada's qualification for the EC in Mexico?
Wrong! Talk about being way off ... Were you around when the NASL days were here and when the Whitecaps, Blizzard or Manic used to draw thousands of fans in the early 80's ?

The Whitecaps averaged 20,000 + fans for more then 4 seasons until the NASL collapsed.

The Blizzard played their last game in front of 17,000 fans at Varsity Stadium. I have that game on tape. You would think that you were at an EPL match with all the chanting and cheering going on.

Given a proper league, venue and players I'm quite sure a league would take off. It was done in the past, it can be done again.

As for the kids there's nearly 1,000,000 of them playing soccer today. So yeah ... further NT success will only help the game here.
post #19 of 221 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 18:40 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
I think you're a bit out of touch with Canada. Edmonton has a GTA population of 1,000,000 with the actual city population being 700,000.

There's nothing wrong with Edmonton! It CAN support big soccer events.

There are plans in Toronto to build a soccer specific stadium in the 25,000-30,000 range however I can't disclose anything such as location and who's it going to be built by) at the moment.

Building a stadium is not as easy as you think.

Where are you going to come up with the money for it ? Your only choice is the private sector.

Sorry .. the public won't fund another Skydome.

I just want Edmonton to be moved, its no capital and not the biggest city, whereas you have other places like toronto, montreal and OTTAWA that can host the same thing

i don't see other nations such as liechenstien, France, Portugal, Poland and Russia hosting games other than there biggest city or there capitla!
post #20 of 221 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2002, 00:17
Premier Player

Quote:
Wrong! Talk about being way off ... Were you around when the NASL days were here and when the Whitecaps, Blizzard or Manic used to draw thousands of fans in the early 80's ?
Not really, but it's probably due to me being 21 right now and 1 back then.

Quote:
Given a proper league, venue and players I'm quite sure a league would take off. It was done in the past, it can be done again.
You're forgetting the main ingredient in this brew. Money. NY Cosmos had thousands of people at their stadium not because of local up-and-coming talent, but guys like Pele and Beckenbauer. After a while, people realized these imported stars were lazy bums way past their prime looking to make a few bucks, so the novely wore off. Money was still spent left and right, though, and the league collapsed. 20000 people will not show up to see Chris Pozniak play, and if you think otherwise, I'd love to get my hands on whatever's in your bong.

Quote:
As for the kids there's nearly 1,000,000 of them playing soccer today.
So what? Football subculture, the way it exists in England or Argentina or Germany simply doesn't exist in Canada. How often do you see kids playing football in the streets? Playing football once a week for your school will not make you a world-class player.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in