What Canada REALLY needs! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2002, 18:34 Thread Starter
Premier Player

What Canada REALLY needs!

I think what canada truly needs is a whole new reform in soccer.

The last few years, canada has been very much in the losing side and as a Canadian, living in Toronto, i haven't seen much soccer action in my city.

I feel that in order to gain some publicity or world renounance, Canada SHOULD HOST A WORLD CUP soccer tournament.

And this time, im not talking about any womens U-17 game..im talking about the real thing.
Once we do that, there would proably be mney coming in from FIFA and all, to support it, and thus, will give us our OWN leauge and not a joint american/canadian leauge!

And i can see Toronto and the GTA having atleast 4-7 teams if not more!!

We got the potentials, you knw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2002, 18:49
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Alright lets do it. Group A can play in my backyard.

No serioulsy, we have had this conversation before, and came to relize that it is almost in possible. We have no stadium and the world cup would have to go back to the states before it came here.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2002, 21:13
Premier Player

While there is no doubt that hosting a WC would bring in some much needed $$$$, like the old cliché says, takes money to make money. We'd have to invest some major dough for a while without seeing returns. That, no one in this country is prepared to do.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2002, 01:06
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Re: What Canada REALLY needs!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kappa18
...there would proably be money coming in from FIFA and all...
Sounds great, but I don't think it works like that. I think the money flows the other way...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2002, 02:22
Rising Star

Toronto and the GTA supporting at least 4-7 teams? You guys can hardly support the one you have now!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2002, 04:53
Star Player

I would be great to have a WC in Canada, but as you guys mention it would be almost impossible. The only way I can see it is if the US allows Canada to be a co-host. Other than that forget about it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2002, 07:18
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Invest money in player development not chasing impossible dreams. WC will always be in Europe and a couple of central (Mexico) and south american countries and the only reason that it is in Asia and, maybe, in Africa in 2010 is because of the 'voting blocks' they represent.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2002, 07:30
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Actually the thought of hosting a WC is not that far out, but not logical. First of all a WC is much like the olympics it will bring debt not profit.

Seph Blatter was in Canada earlier this year and said he would like to see Canada host a World Cup, but first it had to make the neccessary adjustments.

Lets start out with building a proffesional league, the talent is here from all over the world so lets use it. I will be a proud fan of the CUSL, and will give all I can to see it succeed.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in