Canada to play Ecuador in Friendly - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2001, 15:45 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada to play Ecuador in Friendly

More news to come ... stay tuned to Canadian-Soccer.com for more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2001, 17:05
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Are they comming here, or r we going there?

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2001, 21:23 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Ecuador

They will come here. I don't know which city yet. But it looks like Vancouver and Toronto are the frontrunners.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2001, 21:28
Premier Player

that would kick ass if they play it at varsity.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2001, 00:27
Rising Star

It would even be better if it were played at Swangard, but I highly doubt they'd stoop so low as to travel out west considering Holgers low opinion of the stadium.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2001, 00:38
Premier Player

swangard is way to small, the scenary around is very nice though.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2001, 21:53 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Swangard

I don't see what's the problem with Swangard ... it's not like Varsity is any bigger with it's limited 9,000 capacity seating anyways.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2001, 22:38
Premier Player

i rmeber a couple of years back when canada hosted iran there was at least 15 thousand at varsity.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2001, 22:59 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Varsity Stadium

Well ... it's time to get you up to date on the Stadium.

In 1998 the East bleachers, that were built in 1924 !!! were sealed off because they were in danger of collapsing.

So the Stadium currently has a capacty of around 9,000 because only the west bleachers are open.

Oh, and the Stadium will be demolished.

Jarrek
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2001, 00:13
Premier Player

varsity kinda reminds me of an old east european stadium, but this aint east europe and a country like canda should have a class stadium but that doesent mean i wont miss old varsity.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2001, 00:22 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Yup ...

I will miss it as well ...

Let's hope that it won't be demolished.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2001, 01:28
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Varsity stadium will be demolished.

The last sporting event ever to be held there will take place Sunday Dec. 2. It's a high school football game. The players will be given special certificates to commemmorate the last game at Varsity.

I believe the Lynx will be playing next season at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke (about 2 km. from my place )
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2001, 01:40
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
If the Canada-Ecuador rumour is true, the game won't be played before the Gold Cup competition in January.

"Team Canada coach Holger Osieck confirmed this past week there will be no more tune-up games for Canada before the Gold Cup kicks off in January."

Source:Sportsnet
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2001, 02:12 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Jarrek

It will be played on March 3rd or 7th ...
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2001, 20:55
Rookie

I guess Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton is our only legitimate Soccer venue. They have plenty of seats, have experience holding world class events like the Track & Field Championships and if I'm not mistaken was the site where Canada tied Brasil. I would hope they'd get some consideration. Also, didn't Vancouver have a large outdoor soccer stadium at some point in time like in the early 80's?
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2001, 21:04
Premier Player

how come the NT always manages to pick the worst venues to play in, how come we never play in montreal where theres a good outdoor stadium or any of the other stadoiums like in hamilton or winnipeg.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2001, 21:57
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Neo Geo
I guess Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton is our only legitimate Soccer venue. They have plenty of seats, have experience holding world class events like the Track & Field Championships and if I'm not mistaken was the site where Canada tied Brasil. I would hope they'd get some consideration. Also, didn't Vancouver have a large outdoor soccer stadium at some point in time like in the early 80's?
Commonwealth stadium looks pretty empty when we get the usual Canadian soccer crowds (the Brazil game at Commonwealth was an exception).
Besides at the moment Commonwealth has a yard or two down one (or is it both?) sides of it's field where there is field turf laid over where the grass should be (they ripped the sidelines up for the Track and Field championships). The endzones are also field turf at the moment but that would not be any problem for soccer.

Vancouver used to have Empire Stadium. It was completed in 1954 in time for the British and commonwealth games. Unfortunately it had a huge drainage problem and the grass was replaced by astroturf in 1970. To show it off they had exhibitions of just about every sport on the new astroturf but unfortunately the suggested match of topless girls soccer never went ahead.

Anyway the astroturf they put in was so crappy it had to be replaced completely 5 years later.

Anyway to sum it up a 1979 report declared that Empire stadium would be unsafe by 1984 due to the quick construction techniques used to build it. So Vancouver built a new stadium which opened in 1983 and Empire was demolished.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2001, 01:24
Rookie

Krammerhead, thanks for the detailed response. I could never understand why vancouver, a canadian soccer hotbed, doesn't have a greater soccer stadium than Swangard. I am really dissapointed to hear that Edmonton got field turf put in on the sidelines, I saw the stuff in the endzones and thought is was newly laid grass. Hopefully they can salvage something. If not, this is truly ridiculous. We have over 10 stadiums in the country with close to 30,000+ seating and none of them are suitable for soccer because they don't have grass. It astonishes me because for a country that prides itself on its environment, Canada seems to encourage the development of boring, fake playingfields because of maintenance costs. Yet when it comes to hockey, most arenas in the country have people working on the ice 24/7 with big $$$ zambonis.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2001, 01:44
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Quote:
Originally posted by Marek
i rmeber a couple of years back when canada hosted iran there was at least 15 thousand at varsity.
They were all Iranians

sup
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2001, 01:51
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Hajduk, vatreni
If the game is in Toronto I will go. Equador is in Croatia's group and I need to check out the competition.

Ja! Ja sam BARABA!
Ja sam veliki Jack!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in