A new soccer Confederation? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2001, 04:31 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
A new soccer Confederation?

The Australians, perennially pissed off over missing out on the World Cup, are thinking of ways to improve their chances of qualifying.

"Australia's football bosses are working on an idea to set up a Pacific Rim FIFA Confederation, including Australia, Japan, Korea, the United States, Canada and even Chile.

"The goal is to provide the Socceroos with a chance of direct entry into the World Cup without entering the Russian roulette of an elimination series."

Source: BBC Sport

Such a Confederation might be good for Australia's chances, but it would be death for Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2001, 17:08
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
mmmmmmmmm Chile in the pot also ???? mmmmmmmmm I know we stunk in the last qualifiers, but it wouldnt be a bad idea....Of course I dont see it materializing.... :smileani:

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2001, 23:42
Rising Star

It's too far for overseas Canadians and Americans to travel. I think Oceania should merge with the Asian confederation.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2001, 06:59
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Boy o boy the socceroos don't give up on this do they?
I can not see any benefit for Canada. Canada should be able to be one of the top 3 in CONCACAF, period. How would this confederation secure direct qualification when the oceania teams couldn't? Just because you call yourself a confederation will you get a direct route?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2001, 19:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

I think the idea is that CONCACAF, Asia, and CONMEBOL would each give up a qualifying spot to the new confederation.

But it's not going to happen (thank goodness for Canada!).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2001, 03:26
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Cory
It's too far for overseas Canadians and Americans to travel. I think Oceania should merge with the Asian confederation.
I like this Idea
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2001, 05:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

I see at least one problem with that idea:

Asia now has 4 spots in the World Cup, and Oceania has 1/2 (the Oceania champ has to beat the South American 5th place team to get into the finals). A merger with Asia would give Asia/Oceania 4 1/2 spots. So Australia could find itself in 5th place in Asia/Oceania and still having to play off against a CONMEBOL team to qualify for the finals. So in that case merger of Oceania and Asia would not solve Australia's problem.

And if Australia managed to finish in the Asia top 4, some other Asian country would have to play off against the South Americans. If they lose, Asia gets only 4 teams in the WC including Australia. Politically, the Asians would never accept that.

The Asians were already mighty pissed with FIFA because they only had 2 spots up for grabs this time besides the two automatic spots for hosts Japan and Korea.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2001, 06:35
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
I really feel for the Aussies qualifing structure, but if they want to see soccer federations in real debt tell them to come to south america, that country is rich compared to us, so I aint sheddin no tears for them in that respective.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2001, 23:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Actually, I was wrong in my last comments about the Asian Confederation having 4 spots, wasn't I? It's really 4 1/2 - which is why Ireland had to play Iran in a playoff. :embarass:

But my point remains valid: If Asia merges with Oceania and has 5 qualifying spots in the finals, the Asians will still be pissed off if Australia gets one of the five spots, because the "true" Asian countries will only have 4 spots instead of the 4 1/2 they have now.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. The facts be damned! :fero:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in