New Calgary Stadium - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2014, 11:55 Thread Starter
Rising Star

New Calgary Stadium

Perhaps the opening salvo in the hopes of a new stadium for Calgary.

Ken King in studio with Boomer & Rhett
Sportsnet Staff September 23, 2014,
The President and CEO of the Calgary Flames joins the morning show in studio for a full hour; King talks players, offseason changes in and around the team, the continuing climb towards a new arena and much more.

"It (Calgary ownership group) will soon include an extraordinarily ambitious building project that extends far beyond an arena. The first drawings I have in my office are from 2007...Edmonton is in the ground (new arena), this is not a "me too" thing.

When we come forward and it will be soon, I believe the following will happen: the financial structure for it,...lots of equity from the ownership group, lots of creative approaches, the location is..., wouldn't it be cool if there was a serious fieldhouse... the best before date for McMahon Stadium might be closing in, and clearly the Scotiabank Saddledome needs to be replaced so if you could imagine what could take place.

We're seeing some local groups, talking to them about the project, we want to garner general support, we want to have the answers to all the questions people will ask before they ask them and that's really the work we're doing now.

I think there are some cities that have multiple facilities together, I'm not sure if any of them will be as dramatic as this in terms of the collective efficiency of what we're trying to do, if we can do it.

Architects have been working on this for a long time but if we can pull it off I think it will be one of the most transformational projects in this city for the next 50 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2015, 15:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Nothing new in this post but it does bear repeating
K_O_cowtown Stampsfans.com June 17, 2015

This was from the Flames Season ticket holders get-together:

Building

- They were ready for an announcement right after the election but result has set that back temporarily. New government doesn't change much, just have to take the time to make sure they understand the scope of the project. Announcement coming soon

- Season ticket holders invited to the 'Dome to see it first. Spent a couple minutes saying he knows he's been saying that for five plus years and completely understands the frustration it has caused and accepts many wont believe him this time. Reiterated it will be the most ambitious project in Calgary in 50 plus years and everyone will love it, and it will be worth the wait.

- Expect the team to move into the new arena three years after the first shovel hits the ground

- The teams and fans deserve an arena with better access in and out, better sight lines, better seats, and better amenities. This will have it and more.

- Ken said fans of watching football will be much more comfortable doing so, and fans of amateur city sports will love the project as well

- A fan quoted King on the football comfort, directly asking if that means a dome or stadium with retractable roof. King said he couldn't answer at this time, but that the gentlemen is smart enough to figure out what he meant with his comfortable comments

- Arena will be about the same total capacity, but with two bowls

- Lower bowl will be much larger, and there will be more luxury suites

- A gentleman said he sits in level 3, row 1, and asked if there would be similar seats - King said sorry, we know you have the best-value seats in the league, but don't expect the new arena to have those in terms of view

- King followed up saying they do plan, in both the arena and football stadium, to keep price points close when the transition happens. Not just about money - they aren't greedy - but also about keeping the loyal fans.

- Football stadium will have a capacity between 30 and 35 thousand, expandable to 50 thousand for Grey Cup and similar events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in