Canada CMNT 2013 Friendlies - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2013, 17:28 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada CMNT 2013 Friendlies

Denmark (FIFA 23) - January 26 Tucson, Arizona
USA (FIFA 28) January 29 Houston, Texas
Japan (FIFA 22) - March 22 Khalifa Stadium Doha, Qatar

Going to see a lot of the next generation of players: Alderson, Attakora, Bekker etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2013, 17:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I'm ready to give up, Joe. Still hurting from taking 8 in the backside.

Give me confidence.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2013, 18:04 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I'm confident the next coach will be the right one. It's not the same CSA as five/ten years ago. They learned some big lessons with the women's team and Vic was quoted as saying they want to get the right coach for the men's team and then basically find money to pay them, if they have to.

Herdman was the right coach for the women and we saw the transformation that happened there. We had all the reason in the world to lose the game against France but because their heads were in the right place they were able to steal it.

No team at the world level loses 8-1 without a mental breakdown. Canada has played all the big countries and played them fairly well without total embarrassment. The last embarrassment before this was against Argentina (5-0) in Argentina before the WC.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't happen often and it really isn't a lack of skill or talent (in our case) when you get killed like that.

They have three friendlies organized already against much higher ranked teams and that is something the CSA has committed to (more friendlies) and you will see new players. The NT braintrust has been absolutely brutal in the past blooding new players. You're going to see new players introduced to the NT.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; January 10th, 2013 at 18:10.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2013, 17:29 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Dobson on soccer: Value in friendlies for Canada
Gerry Dobson January 10, 2013

Dobson on soccer: Strong start to 2013 for Canada

Quick everybody: When was the last time the Canadian men's team played three high-profile friendlies in the first three months of the calendar year?

Time's up.

Believe it or not, but Canada will play Denmark, the United States and Japan all before the end of March, 2013.

All of this on the heels of the disastrous 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign. Yes, I promise I won't mention it again. But on previous occasions the men's team basically began the calendar year by going into hiding until the Gold Cup eight or nine months later.

But not this time. Not in 2013.

In fact, I'm told the Canadian Soccer Association had a match lined up against Russia, as well. That game would have been staged somewhere in Europe on Feb. 6 with a much stronger European-based Canadian squad. But the CSA decided, with good reason, that trying to squeeze three games on two continents during a 10-day span wasn't realistic.

So they went for the two North American matches with a younger squad instead: Denmark on Jan. 26 in Tucson and the U.S. three days later in Houston. Then they play Japan on March 22 in Doha, Qatar. So it's clear that the CSA is more determined than ever to get the team back into the saddle again.

Curiously, some people are complaining, as some people always do, that these games make no sense right now since there is no permanent coach, and World Cup qualifying is still another three full years away.

Nonsense, I say. The time has never been better. Like it or not, the central core of our next World Cup team will come from the group of young players you'll see in Arizona and Texas later this month. They won't care if it's Colin Miller in charge or anyone else. It's all about playing the games for them.

CSA Technical Director Tony Fonseca once told me there's a generally held opinion around the globe among coaches and federations that one quality international is worth three or four club matches for the development of a young player.

Some may disagree. But I doubt very much that the likes of Lucas Cavallini or Kyle Bekker will walk off the pitch after playing 90 minutes against the Denmark or the U.S. and claim it wasn't worth it because Miller was in charge, or because it came in a non-qualifying year, or in Japan's case because it wasn't against CONCACAF competition.

In my opinion that's nonsense. Get these young players used to playing in different environments against quality opposition as often and as early as possible. Preparation for the 2018 World Cup is all that matters right now. The sooner we get started the better.

After all, one big complaint in the aftermath of the meltdown in Honduras was that the players weren't mentally ready for the big occasion; that they folded up under the weight of the moment.

Sorry, I mentioned it one more time. But let's make sure Canada never suffers from a lack of mental fortitude ever again.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2013, 17:43
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Scouting and coming up with good players is important. A good coach won't matter that much if the players are not there. At a minimum Canada needs players at the level of Donovan and Dempsey. Or a few more De Rosario types.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2013, 18:22 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada MNT names young squad for January camp
Men's National Team 18 January 2013

Canada’s Men’s National Team has named its 22-man roster for the upcoming camp in USA to take place from 19 to 30 January in Arizona and Texas.

As part of the camp, Canada will feature in two Men’s International Friendlies. The team will take on Denmark on 26 January in Tucson, AZ (13.00 local) before taking part in a match against USA on 29 January in Houston, TX (20.00 local).

The 29 January friendly against USA will be broadcast in Canada on Sportsnet (21.00 ET / 18.00 PT).

Interim head coach Colin Miller has stated that the camp will provide an important opportunity to assess the ‘future’ of the Canadian team.

“One of our key objectives for this camp is to look towards the future and give some of our young players a chance,” said interim head coach Colin Miller.

“It is important for us to take a step forward during the camp and over the course of the next two matches. We expect the young players to come in very hungry and looking to show well for the future of the Men’s National Team.”

With an average age of just under 25, this is the youngest Canadian team to be assembled since May 2006.

Ten players have earned their first call-up to the Men’s National Team. Eight players featured in Canada’s Men’s U-23 team at the 2012 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying tournament.

Mason Trafford is taking part in his first national team camp at any age level.

Dwayne De Rosario, Nik Ledgerwood, Lars Hirschfeld and Tosaint Ricketts are the only players on the roster to have taken part in game action during 2012’s CONCACAF third round of FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Qualifiers™.

Following the January camp in USA, Canada has confirmed that it will take on Japan in a Men’s International Friendly on 22 March in Doha, Qatar as the team continues its preparations for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup to take place in USA in July.

CANADA

1- GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
2- M- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby Fotboll
3- FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
4- CB- Nana Attakora | FIN / FC Haka
5- CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / D.C. United
6- M- Philippe Davies | USA / Richmond Kickers
7- M - Terry Dunfield | CAN / Toronto FC
8- CM- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
9- F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf
10- F- Frank Jonke | FIN / FF Jaro
11- M - Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
12- M- Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault |
13- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
14- M/F- Dwayne De Rosario | USA / D.C. United
15- M- Emmanuel Gomez | ARG / Club Atletico Griffa
16- M - Matt Stinson | CAN / Toronto FC
17- F- Kyle Porter | CAN / FC Edmonton
18- GK- Roberto Stillo | ITA / Genoa CFC
19- M- Evan James |
20- D- Mason Trafford | FIN / IFK Mariehamn
21- FB- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Racing Club de Montevideo
22- GK- Simon Thomas |
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2013, 22:17
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post

The 29 January friendly against USA will be broadcast in Canada on Sportsnet (21.00 ET / 18.00 PT).
As far as I can tell from the Schedule, it's only on Sportsnet West and Sportsnet One.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2013, 21:25 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Young Canadian soccer team told to tone it down in spirited scrimmage
Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press 01/23/2013

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Interim Canadian soccer coach Colin Miller told his young squad early on at camp that he wouldn't accept "any fluff" from his players.

Miller wants commitment and concentration. And effort.

The players got the message. So much so that Miller had to rein them in during a spirited scrimmage Wednesday that saw fullback Andres Fresenga limp off after being the victim of a pair of take-no-prisoner tackles under the Arizona sun.

"If they've got that fighting spirit in them, so long as they monitor that and we keep a lid on it, I think we're all on the right lines in terms of what it means to put the jersey on, whether it's in training or not," said Miller.

"I hammered that home Monday morning when I spoke to the whole group. I don't accept any fluff."

Fresenga was scythed down first by Doneil Henry in a thumping tackle in the opposition penalty box and then by Terry Dunfield in his own penalty box.

An irate Fresenga limped off after the second challenge, throwing his shoe at the sidelines in frustration before putting an ice pack on his foot. Had it been a proper game, Dunfield might have been trudging after him in the wake of a red card.

It was an example of Dunfield showing some trademark teeth in midfield. The Toronto FC veteran is not there to put chocolates on opposition pillows.

Midfielder Emmanuel Gomez was also doing a painful dance after being caught in a tackle. Still nursing the knock, he got a double whammy when star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario yelled at him for not moving enough.

"With young players, there's a tendency to be 100 miles per hour all the time," said Miller. "The lads, with the greatest respect, are not match-fit so we can't go 100 miles per hour. Certainly not over two internationals in such a short period of time."

Goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld missed training for the second session in a row. He had an appointment with a chiropractor for a sore back. Miller says it is just precautionary, however.

With a limited squad and friendlies Saturday against Denmark and Tuesday against the U.S., Miller has to manage his talent.

On Wednesday, he opened the scrimmage with a team that consisted of Roberto Stillo in goal behind a back four of Ashtone Morgan, Dejan Jakovic, Henry and Nana Attakora. The midfield was Russell Teibert and Nik Ledgerwood on the wings with Dunfield and Kyle Bekker in the midfield. Tosaint Ricketts and De Rosario were up front.

It's a fair bet that many of those will figure in Miller's starting 11, although he plans to use his bench to the maximum with just 19 outfield players in camp.

Toronto FC rookie Bekker impressed during the scrimmage, sweeping passes long and short all over the field.

"He's quality," Miller said approvingly.

Ricketts scored twice in the scrimmage, although the first goal was almost certainly offside. He headed to the bench early, nursing what seemed like a minor knock to his left hip.

Morgan looked good to go, motoring up the flank. And De Rosario, who missed part of last season with a knee injury suffered on international duty, showing flashes of his trademark speed and guile.

The D.C. United star is also clearly taking a leadership role. When Fresenga went down the first time, De Rosario came over to check him out. And after the scrimmage, he made a point of going to all of his teammates to shake their hand or make contact.

Miller is in full teacher mode at this camp, which is playing out in the shadow of the brown mountains that seem to surround Scottsdale.

At times, he instructs in kindly Dumbledore mode.

"Take your time, it's not a race," he told players Wednesday.

"Don't force it. Play your easiest pass."

At other times, he is as prickly as the cacti that are so prevalent here. Miller's tongue could have been sponsored by Gillette after an episode during the scrimmage when one of the shorter players on the pitch won a header on a high ball.

"At this level of football, you will get roasted for that," the coach bellowed, adding in a curse word for emphasis.

Four local players got to take part in the scrimmage to help flesh out the numbers. Reid Schmitt, Brad Keller and Joshua Bento Do O are part of the Phoenix FC USL team.

"I thought it was very high-level," said Schmitt. "I was definitely expecting the best and it definitely showed it. Everyone was playing high speed. Everyone was moving off the ball."

Mason Robertson, an 18-year-old high school centre back, got his invite because he's the son of Phoenix coach David Robertson. He was almost tongue-tied from the experience.

"It was good. I've never played, like, with grown men. It was a different challenge."

The locals came on as subs when Miller's regulars needed time off, setting the stage for some hasty introductions as they trotted on the field.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old January 25th, 2013, 23:03
Star Player

Preview:
Canada tune up for US with friendly vs. Denmark

The national team squad that will be facing Denmark in Tucson, Ariz., on Saturday (LIVE STREAM on KICKTV in the USA and Sportsnet.ca in Canada) is a radically different Canadian side than the one that last played this past October in an 8-1 World Cup qualifying debacle. That closed the books on Canada’s hopes of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, and quite possibly on an era of players who never really lived up to their potential.

Canada Roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Lars Hirschfeld (Vålerenga/Norway), Roberto Stillo (Genoa CFC/Italy), Simon Thomas (unattached)

DEFENDERS (6):
Ashtone Morgan (Toronto FC), Nana Attakora (FC Haka/Finland), Dejan Jakovic (D.C. United), Doneil Henry (Toronto FC), Mason Trafford (IFK Mariehamn/Finland), Andres Fresenga (Racing Club de Montevideo/Uruguay).

MIDFIELDERS (10):
Nik Ledgerwood (Hammarby/Sweden), Philippe Davies (Richmond Kickers), Terry Dunfield (Toronto FC), Kyle Bekker (Toronto FC), Russell Teibert (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault (unattached), Dwayne De Rosario (D.C. United), Emmanuel Gomez (Club Atlético Griffa/Argentina), Matt Stinson (Toronto FC), Evan James (unattached).

FORWARDS (3):
Tosaint Ricketts (Sandnes Ulf/Norway), Kyle Porter (FC Edmonton), Frank Jonke (FF Jaro/Finland).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...dly-vs-denmark
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2013, 13:37 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canadian men's soccer team ready for Denmark test
Former MLS MVP Dwayne De Rosario will start up front
The Canadian Press Jan 25, 2013

A green Canadian soccer team gets to gauge its talent against an equally young Denmark side Saturday in a friendly in Tucson.

The game is the first for the Canadian men's program since a humiliating 8-1 loss last October that knocked Canada out of World Cup qualifying. Only three starters from that game — goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld, winger Nik Ledgerwood and striker Tosaint Ricketts are expected to be in the starting 11 Saturday as the Canadian Soccer Association opted for young, largely developmental squad at its Arizona camp.

The Danes have done the same, since the game does not fall on a FIFA international date — meaning top players are hard to pry away from their clubs.

Canada is ranked 64th in the world compared to No. 23 for Denmark, but those numbers mean little given the makeup of the squads.

Still interim coach Colin Miller knows the size of the challenge that awaits his young team and has been managing expectations all week.

"Absolutely massive. An enormous task given the group that we have," he said of facing Denmark. "Even if we had our full team it would still be an enormous task."

U.S. awaits

After the game, the Canadians leave Sunday for Houston and a friendly Tuesday against a largely domestic U.S. side. The Danes meet Mexico on Wednesday in Phoenix.

Miller says the Canadian camp has already been a success, given that it has welcomed new players into the national team fold while adding to the depth of the program.

"I've taken the pressure off the guys. A result [Saturday] and Tuesday is secondary," said Miller, whose steady hand has been in evidence all week. "Let's see if we can get something that we can really get our teeth into and build for the future.

"Out last result was, unfortunately, an 8-1 defeat. If we can try to get a positive performance and hopefully a good result [Saturday], that sort of pushes that to the background and now we continue to look forward."

Of course, another shellacking would not help the program's image.

"It can happen at any level of football," said Miller, who recalls a 6-0 Scottish Cup loss to Glasgow Rangers while he was managing Hamilton Academical in Scotland.

Young starting core

Miller has not announced his lineup but his likely starting 11 Saturday will feature Hirschfeld in goal behind a backline of Ashtone Morgan, Dejan Jakovic, Nana Attakora and Doneil Henry. Ledgerwood and Russell Teibert will be on the wings with Terry Dunfield and Kyle Bekker in central midfield. Former MLS MVP Dwayne De Rosario and Ricketts will play up front.

Dunfield, whose no-holds-barred approach to the game exemplifies Miller's work ethic, is likely to lead the team out at the 11,000-seat Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.

"The players, I'm very happy with the work they've done," Miller said after practice Friday before the team headed by bus to Tucson. "They go across the white line [Saturday] and we'll see where the cards fall.

"The group is in a very good space at the moment and that's I think all the [Canadian Soccer] Association wanted from me."

The CSA is currently searching for a permanent replacement for Stephen Hart, who stepped down after the Honduras beating.

Miller has spent the week trying to establish a defensive framework for a 22-man squad that features 11 players born in the '90s.

"I haven't spoke about Denmark all week," he said. "Because if the guys aren't aware of the qualities they (the Danes) will bring [Saturday], then there's something seriously wrong.

"We've focused solely on what our jobs are."

Miller has preached discipline to his team, keeping the ball in front of them and making the easy pass over the complicated. At times, he has had to rein in his young charges who have tended to lose shape in their enthusiasm.

Canada is missing the likes of Kevin McKenna, Atiba Hutchinson, Julian de Guzman, Patrice Bernier, Will Johnson, Ante Jazic, Andre Hainault, Iain Hume, Simeon Jackson, David Edgar and Oliver Occean.

Denmark is without star striker Nicklas Bendtner (the Arsenal player on loan to Juventus is injured) and Liverpool defender Daniel Agger, among a host of others.

Michael Silberbauer, Lars Jacobsen and Dennis Rommedahl are the only starters from Denmark's last World Cup qualifying game, a 3-1 loss to 10-man Italy last October, who are in the touring squad. Six others — Jores Okore, Kasper Lorentzen, Jesper Hansen, Casper Sloth, Emil Larsen and Steffen Rasmussen — were on the bench that day.

Rommedahl's resume includes stops at Ajax, Charlton Athletic, PSV Eindhoven, Olympiakos and now Brondby IF. The 34-year-old winger is a former Danish Footballer of the Year.

Twenty-four of Denmark's 32-man touring squad were born in the 1990s led by forward Andreas Cornelius, who doesn't turn 20 until mid-March. He has been turning heads at FC Copenhagen where he has 16 goals in 20 appearances this season.

The Danes (0-1-2) currently stand fifth in a tough World Cup qualifying group that also features Italy, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Armenia and Malta.

They resume World Cup qualifying play in March against the Czechs and Bulgaria.

Canadian fullback Andres Fresenga and forward Frank Jonke have both been hampered by injuries in the leadup to the Denmark game.

Both are expected to be included on the bench to get a taste of the action. Miller is allowed six substitutions and is likely to use all of them, giving several players their first cap.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2013, 23:12
Star Player

New Year, Same Canada

Young side steamrolled by Denmark in first match of 2013

TUCSON, Ariz. – A new year, a young, revamped squad and a new coach at the helm. Yet it was more of the same for the Canadian national team on Saturday, as Denmark rolled to an easy 4-0 win in a friendly at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.

Andreas Cornelius had a hat trick and Kasper Lorentzen added a goal for good measure as a completely Danish Superliga-based squad had its way with a Canadian team that saw six players picking up their first senior caps.

Canada's defense was soft throughout and could manage little resistance despite the presence of veterans Dwayne De Rosario, Terry Dunfield, Dejan Jakovic and Lars Hirschfeld on the pitch.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...an-v-den/recap
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2013, 18:43 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada stress better defensive organization against US
Gavin Day MLSsoccer.com January 28, 2013

HOUSTON – When the Canadian national team reviewed footage of their disappointing 4-0 friendly loss to Denmark on Saturday, there were plenty of errors to dissect and regret.

But the young squad won't have to dwell on those mistakes for long. They have that chance to show what they've learned on Tuesday night here against the United States (9 pm ET, Sportsnet in Canada, ESPN2/Univision Deportes in US; live chat on MLSsoccer.com).

“The best way to get over a poor result is to get back on the pitch again as early as possible,” interim head coach Colin Miller told reporters after the team’s training session at BBVA Compass Stadium on Monday. “We get that on Tuesday against a very good US side.”

Canada looked to have the upper hand in the first minutes of Saturday’s game, but after creating the first chance with a Dwayne De Rosario shot, they spent the rest of the game chasing.

READ: Is this player Canada's next great hope for the future?

Two separate occasions of poor defending within the first 11 minutes saw Canada behind early. Against a Danish team that made it look easy, it could have been a real blow to some of the inexperienced Canadian players, but Monday’s training session was relaxed and all seemed in good spirits.

“It looked nice and lively with a great attitude,” said Miller. “The guys are in a good space at the moment. I’ve spoken to a number of them individually and the response has been very positive, so I’m very pleased with the reaction.”

Miller said what will be key to a better performance against the Americans is being on the same page defensively right from the opening whistle. In the early going, the backline wasn’t communicating and, while there was some improvement in the second half, Canada were already down too many goals.

If the communication is good early on, according to Miller, confidence will grow.

“We have the approach that we have to be off to a good start, the Scotsman said. "The longer it goes on without conceding a goal, there’s a bit more confidence in the camp so we’re well aware of how we’ll have to start.”
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2013, 18:49 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Hope for the future? Canada's Bekker shines in first cap
Gavin Day MLSsoccer.com January 27, 2013

TUCSON, Ariz. – Though it was hardly the result he was hoping for in his debut at the senior international level, Kyle Bekker’s first cap for the Canadian national team on Saturday bookended a memorable month for the college star.

First the standout Boston College midfielder turned heads by winning the MVP at the MLS Combine and then was selected No. 3 overall by hometown club Toronto FC at the MLS SuperDraft. He then turned in one of the few standout performances in Canada’s 4-0 loss to Denmark, and could get a second cap when Canada face the United States in Houston on Tuesday (9 pm ET, ESPN2 in the US, Sportsnet in Canada).

There will be no slowdown, as once he’s finished with national team duty, he starts off on a whole new adventure with his first MLS season.

“I think it’s just the beginning,” Bekker told reporters after Saturday’s game. “It’s my first call-up with the national team. I hope I have a few more and focus on the next game against the United States then head into preseason and look forward to the season.”

Bekker shared Canada’s central midfield with TFC teammate Terry Dunfield and played 67 minutes. In a game where Canada were forced to chase, Bekker was largely unable to assert his creative abilities, but on the rare occasion he did get the ball, his vision on the field was evident.

“It was a little up-and-down,” he said of his performance. “It was great to get the first cap and obviously get it out of the way, but I would have liked a better result.”

As one of six Canadian players who earned their first caps in Arizona, Bekker is part of the group of players who are in camp to learn about what’s required to play regularly at the international level. Against a Danish team that just had too much quality on the day, the 22-year-old was treated to something to which he could aspire.

“They were a very well organized side, just in their shape,” he sad. “Everything they were doing that had purpose and they stuck to it. They opened us up and they were patient with the ball and they were deadly with the ball when they wanted to attack.”
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2013, 17:56 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada fight to hard-earned draw in Houston
Men's National Team 29 January 2013

A young Canadian team put in a mature performance to earn a 0:0 draw against USA in a Men's International Friendly in Houston, TX on Tuesday 29 January.

Canada was resilient under spells of American pressure but did well to create chances of its own as well.

Dwayne De Rosario had arguably the best chance of the match, but his volley was beaten away by USA goalkeeper Sean Johnson in the 6th minute.

After a season-opening loss to Denmark, Interim Head Coach Colin Miller was pleased with the way his players responded against the Americans.

"We were disappointed with aspects of our performance on Saturday but the boys showed everything you would expect of Canadian football in terms of heart, passion and endeavour tonight," Miller told CanadaSoccerTV after the match in Houston.

"I'm very proud of the players, everyone has been totally committed since I've arrived."

Canadian keeper Simon Thomas earned a clean sheet in his first start.

Canada's next scheduled fixture is a Men's International Friendly against Japan to take place in Doha, Qatar on 22 March.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2013, 18:07 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Spratt on Canada: Report card vs. USA
Jon Spratt January 29, 2013

An inexperienced Canadian side executed a tidy defensive plan to earn a well-deserved 0-0 draw with the United States on Tuesday night in Houston.

The U.S. side was made up almost exclusively of players from Major League Soccer, and failed to show much attacking instinct. The Americans threatened to score a few times, but never seriously.

To Canada's credit, they did a nice job of stifling the Americans by limiting defensive errors and taking a safety-first approach to any dangerous balls.

Canada's youthful squad was led by excellent performances from two of their veteran contributors, Dejan Jakovic and Dwayne De Rosario. But the night also showcased some of Canada's rising talent, such as Toronto FC's Kyle Bekker and Matt Stinson, Vancouver Whitecaps' Russell Teibert, and Whitecaps Residency product Simon Thomas.

After a 4-0 loss at the hands of Denmark on Saturday, the match was quite successful for Canada -- a bit of redemption, and several Canadian players earned some important international experience.

Let's take a closer look at Canada's performance.

GOALKEEPER

Simon Thomas (B) - Can't ask for much more than a clean sheet in your second appearance with the national team. Thomas looked a bit nervy at times, but he was there when he had to be. It wasn't an especially busy night for him, considering the competition.

DEFENDERS

Dejan Jakovic (A) - Despite Canada's focus on getting its young players some valuable international experience, it was Jakovic who shone brightest. The veteran DC United defender was a rock at the back for Canada, breaking up chances, making timely clearances, and marshalling an unfamiliar backline. Jakovic was the standout performer on the night for either side.

Nana Attakora (B) - A nice performance from Attakora, who along with Jakovic, effectively shut down American forwards Chris Wondolowski and Eddie Johnson. With his workmanlike performance on Tuesday, Attakora showed the promise that once had many tabbing him as a future fixture in the men's national team.

Nik Ledgerwood (B-) - Did a decent-enough job as the right full back, which is not his ideal position. Really faded in the game's latter portions, but put in his usual dependable performance. Was the victim of a bad foul call that caused a nervous end to the match for the Canadians.

Ashtone Morgan (C) Never looked entirely comfortably defensively, but held it together well enough. Canada's defensive tactics limited Morgan's chances to get forward down the wing, usually the strongest aspect of his game. Should have been yellow carded with a foul outside the Canadian 18-yard box, but the card was incorrectly attributed to Doneil Henry.

SUBS: Doneil Henry (D) - After a tough day in the loss to Denmark, it wasn't the finest outing from the young Toronto FC defender. On the plus side, he seemed to settle his game down after committing a foul in a dangerous area.

MIDFIELDERS

Kyle Bekker (B) - Bekker's talents as an attacking midfielder are well-documented, but he impressed in this match with his defensive capabilities. He showed a will and desire to track back and help clean up in the midfield. Didn't get much going offensively, but still provided a solid outing.

Terry Dunfield (C) - Dunfield played his usual blue-collar game, not making much of a mark on the match one way or another. He seemed to pick up a slight knock and was the first player subbed off for Canada, replaced by Matt Stinson.

Russell Teibert (C) - The young Vancouver Whitecaps prospect was sound defensively but didn't cause much trouble for American defenders. He committed a few fouls, but displayed solid work rate, playing at a high pace for the entire match.

Tossaint Ricketts (C-) - Another rather frustrating outing for Ricketts. He wasn't able to generate much down the flanks, but he did show a willingness to defend. A poor clearance that led to a corner kick in the first half was redeemed by a timely header to head off a dangerous situation in the 70th minute.

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgeau (C+) - Played a fine game patrolling Canada's defensive midfield alongside Dunfield. Like his colleague, didn't make a big impact on the game, but that's preferable to making any blunders in that part of the pitch.

SUBS: Matt Stinson (B-) - Other than a costly turnover, his substitute appearance was impressive, as he frustrated the Americans and drew a couple of fouls. Lively.

Evan James (N/A) - Came on in the 89th minute.

FORWARDS

Dwayne De Rosario (B+) - Suddenly finding himself as an elder statesman on this youthful Canadian squad, De Rosario had a fantastic game. Although he was playing with little offensive support as a lone striker, he had Canada's best chance, in the sixth minute, and made a few excellent passes into space. As loyal to his country as they come, De Rosario can play on this team for as long as he wants to.

Frank Jonke (N/A) - Came on in the 81st minute. Earned his first cap for Canada on the night.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 16:48 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Tks to jonny63 at Vs for headsup

Belarus vs Canada, Doha, Qatar - March 25/2013
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2013, 19:01 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada announces roster, additional match for camp in Qatar
Men's National Team 14 March 2013

Canada’s Men’s National Team has announced its 21-player roster for an upcoming pair of Men’s International Friendlies against Japan and Belarus in Doha, Qatar.

Canada will take on Japan on Friday 22 March (19.00 local kick-off; 12.00 ET / 09.00 PT) at the Khalifa International Stadium in Doha; and will then play Belarus in a second match in Doha on Monday 25 March (18.00 local kick-off; 11.00 ET / 08.00 PT) at Aspire Stadium.

The match against Japan will be streamed in Canada on Sportsnet.ca (12.00 ET / 09.00 PT). Live coverage of both matches will be available on Twitter @CanadaSoccerEN. CanadaSoccerTV will be on-site in Doha providing video coverage of the camp.

Tony Fonseca, Technical Director for the Canadian Soccer Association, will act as the interim head coach for both matches at the upcoming camp.

“This camp represents an opportunity to reintegrate our European-based players as we take on two very difficult opponents in Japan and Belarus,” said Fonseca.

“These two matches will be an important platform for our continued preparations for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup and beyond.”

Goalkeeper Tomer Chencinksi, currently playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv FC in Israel will be taking part in his first camp with the national team set-up.

Midfielder Stefan Cebara who plays for Nogometni Klub Celje in Slovenia has been invited into his first camp with the Men’s National Team. Cebara was part of Canada’s Men’s U-20 Team in 2011.

Eighteen-year-old midfielder Samuel Piette, the male selection for Canada Soccer Player of the Month in February, has earned a recall to the senior team after recently taking part in the CONCACAF U-20 Championship with the U-20 side.

The squad features a total of 15 players from Canada’s recent FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers campaign who will be rejoining the team after missing out on the January camp in USA.

The Men’s National Team’s camp in Qatar will span a total of 10 days from 17 to 26 March.

At this time, Canada’s next scheduled competitive action will be the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup to take place in USA in July.

CANADA

GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor
GK- Tomer Chencinski | ISR / Maccabi Tel Aviv
CB- David Edgar | ENG / Burnley FC
CB- André Hainault | SCO / Ross Country FC
CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / D.C. United
CB- Adam Straith | GER / FC Energie Cottbus
FB- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg
FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf
M - Julian de Guzman | GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg
M- Atiba Hutchinson | NED / PSV Eindhoven
M- Will Johnson | USA / Portland Timbers
M- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby Fotboll
M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / CD Santa Clara
M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CYP / AEK Larnaca FC
F- Stefan Cebara | SLO / NK Celje
F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Eintracht Braunsweig
F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Stevenage FC
F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Norwich City FC
F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf

Notes:

- Canada MNT has only faced Japan once previously, losing 0:3 to the host Japanese in the opening match of the 2001 FIFA Confederations Cup.
- Canada MNT has only faced Belarus on one occasion, as well. Canada defeated Belarus 1:0 in a Men’s International Friendly in Antalya, Turkey on 29 March, 2011. Defender André Hainault scored the winning goal for the Canadians on the day.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; March 14th, 2013 at 19:07.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2013, 16:21 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Tks to jonny63 at Vs for headsup

The senior team of Costa Rica will play a warmup friendly against Canada May 28/2013 in Edmonton, capital of the Canadian province of Alberta, according to information released Saturday afternoon March 16, by the President of the Costa Rican Football Federation, Eduardo Li.

Further details in the coming days.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2013, 00:33 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada fight back but come up short against Japan
Men's National Team 22 March 2013

Canada battled back from surrendering an early goal – but ultimately a 74th-minute goal from Japan’s Mike Haavenar proved the difference as his side came away with a 2:1 victory in the Men’s International Friendly at the Khalifa Stadium in Doha, Qatar.

Shinji Okazaki opened the scoring for the Japanese in the 8th minute when he chipped Canadian keeper Milan Borjan with a fine effort from outside the area.

Marcus Haber pulled Canada back to level terms with a headed goal in the 58th minute. The equalizer was his first career goal for the Men’s National Team.

But it was Haavenar who gave Japan a lead they would not relinquish when he slotted an effort off-the-post-and-in from 10 yards in the 74th minute.

"We are frustrated with the way we conceded the two goals," said Interim Canadian Head Coach Tony Fonseca.

"Working to stop conceding goals from errors is something we have been focusing on - so the team is disappointed in that sense. At the same time - there were some young players that showed they might be part of a future generation for Canada."

"We managed to cause them some problems as well, particularly in the second half."

Attackers Haber and Randy Edwini-Bonsu made their first starts for the senior team on the day.

Midfielder Stefan Cebara came on as a substitute to earn his first appearance for Canada.

The Canadians will next take on Belarus in a second Men’s International Friendly of the team’s camp in Qatar on Monday 25 March at the Aspire sports facility in Doha.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 21:27 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada announces roster for friendly against Costa Rica
Men's National Team 22 May 2013

Canada has announced its 18-player roster for the upcoming Men’s International Friendly against Costa Rica on 28 May (18.00 local kick-off) at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, AB.

Tickets to the Canada-Costa Rica match remain available for purchase.

The match, Canada’s first home fixture of the 2013 campaign, will be broadcast nationally in Canada on all four Sportsnet regional channels (Tuesday 28 May, 20.00 ET / 17.00 PT).

Canada’s roster selection for the friendly features a mix of European-based players with a sizeable contingent from MLS clubs as well.

Edmonton natives Tosaint Ricketts and Randy Edwini-Bonsu have been named to the squad for Canada’s first match in Alberta since 2008.

Toronto FC and former Canada U-20 midfielder Jonathan Osorio has earned his first call-up to an MNT camp.

Doneil Henry and Samuel Piette have earned recalls to the senior team after featuring for Canada at February's CONCACAF U-20 Championship.

"The match against Costa Rica will be a great challenge for this young group," said Interim Head Coach Colin Miller.

"Hopefully some of these young lads will rise to the occasion and stake a claim for a place at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

"We are playing at home and we know that means we need to be positive - and I will certainly encourage the boys to be positive. We will not sit back and wait for Costa Rica to come after us.

Miller, who is currently also serving as the Head Coach for NASL side FC Edmonton, noted that it would be a special homecoming for both Ricketts and Edwini-Bonsu who will be in contention to make their first hometown appearance for the Men's National Team.

"It's a special occasion for any player to play a national team game in their home city," said Miller.

"I know they'll both be very excited by the game."

The Canada-Costa Rica friendly in Edmonton is part of Canada’s continued preparations for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup to take place in July. Canada will kick-off the tournament on 7 July against Martinique in Pasadena, CA; will then travel to Seattle, WA for an 11 July fixture against Mexico; and will then close-out the group stage with a match against Panama in Denver, CO on 14 July.

CANADA
GK- Haidar Al-Shaïbani | FRA / Nîmes Olympique
GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor
GK- Simon Thomas | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
D- Nana Attakora | USA / San Jose Earthquakes
D- André Hainault | SCO / Ross County FC
D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Adam Straith | GER / FC Saarbrücken
M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Stefan Cebara | SVN / Nogometni Klub Celje
M - Julian de Guzman | GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg
M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CYP / Alki Larnaca
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / CD Santa Clara
M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf
F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Eintracht Braunsweig
F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Stevenage FC
F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in