Canada's WNT at the London Olympic Games - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:59 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada's WNT at the London Olympic Games

Canada WNT arrives in London for Olympic Games
Women's Olympic Football Tournament 18 July 2012

Canada has arrived in London, England in advance of the upcoming Women's Olympic Football Tournament, which will kick off in exactly one week's time. The team arrived at Heathrow Airport on 18 July 2012.

Canada had spent the previous two weeks in Switzerland, with international matches against Colombia, New Zealand and Brazil. Already in 2012, Canada has played 16 international matches. In all, Canada has played 24 international matches since the FIFA Women's World Cup Germany 2011 last June and July.

From the goal out, Canada's Olympic squad features Karina LeBlanc and Erin McLeod as goalkeepers, Emily Zurrer, Carmelina Moscato, Robyn Gayle, Rhian Wilkinson, Candace Chapman, Chelsea Stewart and Lauren Sesselmann as defenders, and Kaylyn Kyle, Diana Matheson, Desiree Scott, Christine Sinclair, Sophie Schmidt, Melissa Tancredi, Kelly Parker, Jonelle Filigno and Brittany Timko from the midfield up through to the attack.

Twelve of Canada's 18 players have experience from the last Women's Olympic Football Tournament at Beijing 2008. That was the year Canada reached the quarter-final phase of the competition, only falling in extra time to eventual champion and CONCACAF rival USA. The six players hoping to make their Olympic debut at London 2012 are Lauren Sesselmann, Chelsea Stewart, Kelly Parker, Desiree Scott, Kaylyn Kyle and Carmelina Moscato.

Twelve teams will compete at the London 2012 Women's Olympic Football Tournament from 25 July to 9 August. Teams are split into three groups, with Great Britain, Brazil, Cameroon and New Zealand in Group E, Canada, Japan, South Africa and Sweden in Group F, and Colombia, France, Korea DPR and USA in Group G. In the London 2012 group phase, Canada will face Japan on 25 July, South Africa on 28 July, and Sweden on 31 July.

For full coverage of Canada's road to the London 2012 Olympics, fans can follow all the news at CanadaSoccer.com. Fans are also encouraged to connect with Canada's national teams via twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN, facebook.com/CanadaSoccer, flickr.com/canadasoccer, and youtube.com/canadasoccertv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:27
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2012, 22:39
Forum Manager
Star Player

After 2 of the three Group Round matches, it appears Canada has a good chance of advancing to the QF round as one of the two best third-place teams.

Only problem is their likely QF opponent will be the USA, so the girls are coming home on August 4.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2012, 13:55 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Only problem is their likely QF opponent will be the USA, so the girls are coming home on August 4.
Always good to see support like that in a supposedly Canadian forum.

You might want to catch the last game played between the two. Yes the record against the US is not great but the games are usually close and Herdman's agenda is for the team to start to get over the hump and win these types of games. The Olympics would be a good place to start.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2012, 22:25
Forum Manager
Star Player

Canada may yet get the chance to face the USA, in the Semifinal round, if we can beat Great Britain in the Quarterfinal on Friday at 2:30 EDT (broadcast live on OLN).

I'd like to believe Canada can do it, but sadly they have not yet shown me they can at these Olympics. They are plagued with injuries; the good teams know how to shut down Christine Sinclair; and they are giving away too many cheap goals with GK and defensive errors.

Melissa Tancredi can't do it all herself.

Last edited by Jeff; August 1st, 2012 at 20:49.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2012, 21:01 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canadians believe massive soccer upset is possible
With 3-43-5 recored against the U.S., Canada is facing enormous odds
CHRIS STEVENSON, QMI Agency

Canada’s women’s soccer team is 3-43-5 against the USA.

The Canadians haven’t had the better of the Americans since 2001.

History isn’t on Canada’s side when they face the Americans in the semifinal of the Olympic soccer tournament Monday (2:45 p.m. EDT), but maybe a setting that drips history could be.

The semifinal will be played at the legendary Old Trafford, “the theatre of dreams,” the home of Manchester United.

Maybe, being in a place that some soccer fans hold in the same regard as hockey fans the old Montreal Forum or Maple Leaf Gardens, will provide inspiration to the Canadian side (The Americans have already had their introduction, having played a preliminary round game against North Korea.)

A wonderful setting like Old Trafford has to be an inspiration for the underdog, right?

“They’re a great team. They’re the best in the world for a reason,” said Canadian midfielder Kaylyn Kyle. “Our track record isn’t great against them, but what better time to change that?”

Or place?

Old Trafford celebrated the centennial of its first game on Feb. 19, 2010.

Not the centennial of the team, like the Montreal Canadiens did a few years back.

The centennial of the first game there.

Manchester United moved to Old Trafford when John Henry Davies, Manchester’s chairman in 1909, decided they needed a new stadium and he enlisted architecht Archibald Leitch to build a 100,000-seat facility. Cost overruns wound up having that scaled back to 80,000.

The stadium was pretty much destroyed after two German bombing raids in the Second World War and it was not used for about 10 years, reopening in 1949.

Old Trafford underwent several renovations in the 1990s - including a conversion to all seats mandated by the government - and six years ago tiers were added to the northwest and northeast stands. The stadium now has a capacity of just under 76,000.

There were 29,522 spectators for USA against North Korea and it will be interesting to see what kind of turnout there will be for Monday night’s semifinal.

They could see Canadian sports history.

Canada has already advanced deeper than they ever have in the Olympic tournament after their quarterfinal win over host Great Britain, advancing to the final four. With an upset win over the Americans Monday night, they will earn themselves at least a silver medal. The winner at Old Trafford will advance to the gold medal game against either France or Japan.

“USA are obviously favourites for the tournament and are on fire right now,” said Canadian star Christine Sinclair, who has three goals. “But we know them very well and we deserve to be there.”

Canada is being led offensively right now by Melissa Tancredi of Hamilton, who is tied with American Abby Wambach for the tournament scoring lead with four apiece.

“USA will be a very tough match. It always is,” said Canada’s Jonelle Filigno. “We’re going to go there and fight, we won’t go out without a battle.”

Monday night, the Americans have history on their side. They have won three of the four Olympic tournaments so far. They have skill up front and have shown a remarkable defence. Since giving up a couple of goals to France, the Americans have shut out opponents for the last 346 minutes.

“This team is bound for glory,” said Wambach. “It might not look pretty in every second of the game, but we get it done.”

But maybe a place with so much tradition, so much history, will inspire the Canadians to make a little of their own.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2012, 03:04
Forum Manager
Star Player

The match will be broadcast live on TSN starting at 2:30 pm EDT/11:30 PDT.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2012, 03:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post
“They’re a great team. They’re the best in the world for a reason,”
Japan play good football. USA don't play good football.

Japan are world champions. USA are not world champions.

USA, best in the world for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2012, 06:32 Thread Starter
Rising Star

THE USA has medalled at all six world cups, the Japanese at one. The US sucks all right.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2012, 19:40
Forum Manager
Star Player

I find it curious that the media have not acknowledged that Christine Sinclair is no longer playing as a striker. Herdman is using her as a central midfielder. Her main contribution these days (when she's not helping the defence to clear the ball out of the Canadian end) is getting the ball forward to the real strikers, Tancredi and Filigno.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2012, 20:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

What a goal from Sinclair.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2012, 23:38
Forum Manager
Star Player

Which one? They were all great.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 05:04 Thread Starter
Rising Star

There's a lot of peed off posters elsewhere complaining about the refereeing being biased. I feel the ref kind of lost some control but basically it was fair. The hand ball penalty was brutal but I find refs call that all the time and never follow the intent of the rule (but I could be wrong)

Still, couldn't be more proud and as predicted we would be great. Actually happy that if we had to lose it was 11v11 and not on PK. Unfortunately I think the letdown will be too much vs France but if I was Herdman, I would tell the girls that the USA game wasn't the end but actually the beginning of a whole new outlook.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 07:34
Forum Manager
Star Player

There's nothing "fair" about awarding a free kick inside the penalty area in a 1-goal match as punishment for exceeding the six-second rule, a rule that is never enforced strictly unless there is an obvious intent to delay the game, and moreover a rule that needs a major overhaul by FIFA.

Nor is there anything fair about ignoring a blatant hand ball by Rapinoe in her own penalty area, and then 19 minutes later calling intentional hand ball against Canada after Rapinoe blasts the free kick directly at the Canadian players at short range.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 15:08
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Bursaspor, Turkiye
Just watched the game last night on replay. Canada didn't get cheated at all in my opinion. In fact, I'm surprised you guys think they did. McCloud went over the 6 seconds 2 times before then. She should have known better. Also, on the FK, there was a double handball. The first wasn't a penalty because it was too close but the second one definitely was. She had enough time to react and get her hands out of the way. These are my opinions, but I think the referee got both calls absolutely right.

Here's a video on the time wasting btw:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/ti...x-second-rule/

She went to at least 12 seconds all three times, you don't need a warning if you do it repeatedly like this in my opinion.

Adı Aşk Bu Eziyetin
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 15:46 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
There's nothing "fair" about awarding a free kick inside the penalty area in a 1-goal match as punishment for exceeding the six-second rule, a rule that is never enforced strictly unless there is an obvious intent to delay the game, and moreover a rule that needs a major overhaul by FIFA.

Nor is there anything fair about ignoring a blatant hand ball by Rapinoe in her own penalty area, and then 19 minutes later calling intentional hand ball against Canada after Rapinoe blasts the free kick directly at the Canadian players at short range.
I agree with that, but I don't think it was "biased" as some are saying. The ref was in over her head. To me, hand ball should never be called unless someone purposely tries to stop the ball, not just get out of the way.

To me, the handball call was really the only call that changed the outcome of the game, and it was wrong.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 15:54 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesilTimsah View Post
Also, on the FK, there was a double handball. The first wasn't a penalty because it was too close but the second one definitely was. She had enough time to react and get her hands out of the way.
Well, if you think people can react that fast then M-E Nault should join the Army and train people on how to dodge bullets.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 15:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Whether it was bullshit or not, here we are discussing dodgy calls for the Americans to knock us out again. Rinse and ****ing repeat. Getting really, really tired of this act. I'm still pissed about Gold Cup '07, this one just pours salt in the wounds.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 16:03 Thread Starter
Rising Star

While I have a hard time believing there is corruption at this level (despite numerous examples) sometimes you just have to wonder if subtle (or not so subtle hints) are dropped at FIFA.

Obviously they always want the big well known countries to advance (for monetary purposes) but don't they realize that doesn't help grow the game if the same old countries dominate over and over.

It's the same with the player poaching. The big soccer nations can poach from the smaller ones as Canada has seen several times. Why does FIFA allow it to continue with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

I'm willing to give the ref the benefit of the doubt re bias and several bad calls (both ways) but the handball call was bogus and should never have happened.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2012, 19:17
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post
To me, the handball call was really the only call that changed the outcome of the game, and it was wrong.
But the only reason it changed the outcome was the prior awarding of the indirect free kick inside the penalty area. Anywhere else on the field, a handball call (whether justified or not) would have only resulted in a free kick, plus at worst, a yellow card.

And ignoring Rapinoe's hand ball in her own area 19 minutes earlier arguably had just as much of an effect on the outcome of the game. Sinc would have sunc that penalty!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in