CMNT Canada vs Ecuador June 1/2011 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2011, 16:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

CMNT Canada vs Ecuador June 1/2011

Canada (FIFA 75/ELO 59) will play Ecuador (FIFA 56/ELO 36) June 1/2011 at BMO Field, Toronto. Ecuador plays Mexico on May 28 prior to Canada.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; April 22nd, 2011 at 03:16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2011, 23:08 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Team Canada Soccer Practise Report
Len Grammenopoulos April 14th, 2011

Canada's Men's National Team is preparing for the the Gold Cup, starting with the upcoming International Friendly this June 1st in Toronto against Ecuador.

Interesting note that we could have played either of two European countries instead. Hart explains why Ecuador - JM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2011, 01:00
IVO
International
World Class Player

Ecuador is a good team to play whether they're similar to our opponents or not. No need to justify this choice in my eyes.

Excited for this game, do you know when tickets are going on sale? I've been checking ticketmaster regularly but nothing yet.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2011, 05:22
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO View Post
Excited for this game, do you know when tickets are going on sale?
Here's the announcement.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2011, 14:55
IVO
International
World Class Player

Thanks Jeff!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:13 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO View Post
Excited for this game, do you know when tickets are going on sale? I've been checking ticketmaster regularly but nothing yet.
Group rate ticket $17 - look for Canada - Ecuador graphic top right of page
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2011, 18:36 Thread Starter
Rising Star

De Rosario sensing urgency
THE CANADIAN PRESS May 31, 2011

TORONTO -- After more than a decade with Canada's national soccer team, Kevin McKenna and Dwayne De Rosario have come to know disappointment all too well.

They're mainstays with the Canadian team, but neither has reached the World Cup.

And the 31-year-old McKenna and 33-year-old De Rosario know time is running out.

"I think it will be my last shot at a World Cup qualifying. There is a bit (of urgency), I'm not 21 anymore," said McKenna, a central defender for FC Koln in Germany. "It's always been a dream of mine as a kid and if we were to make it, it would definitely really be a highlight to my career.

"I think we have the group of guys to do it, but we say that every year. We have to go out on the pitch and prove it and show our qualities."

The Canadians have gathered for camp in Toronto ahead of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament, the start of a busy season that includes the start of World Cup qualifying in September. They host Ecuador in a friendly Wednesday at BMO Field.

But their focus through the Gold Cup and the months to follow is firmly set on their World Cup quest. Canada has made just one World Cup appearance -- in 1986 -- failing to win a game or score a goal.

"I've had that feeling (of urgency) from a long time ago, that's one of my dreams, to make the World Cup," De Rosario said. "We really think we have the team."

McKenna, a Calgary native, has 49 caps and 10 goals for Canada and made his national team debut in 2000. Toronto's De Rosario has 56 caps and 15 goals since making his debut in 1998.

The biggest change they've seen over their long tenure with the team is the increase in Canadians playing at a high level abroad.

"That's very important for a national program going forward -- guys not only playing for good clubs, but playing. That's going to help us tremendously," said De Rosario.

Simeon Jackson is one example of a Canadian who's shone this season on one of the sport's biggest stages.

Jackson's header against Portsmouth a few weeks ago propelled Norwich City into the vaunted English Premier League. That goal was just one of an outburst that saw the 22-year-old from Mississauga, Ont., score nine times in seven games.

"All the Canadian guys that are there doing well, we're very proud, 100 per cent," De Rosario said. "They're living their dreams, and a lot of them are living our dreams that we had as well.

"Especially Simeon, he has the opportunity to play in the Premiership, and it benefits not only our national team but the whole of Canada to see one of our own products go over to Europe and make it at that level. Hopefully kids can look at that and they can be inspired to do the same."

McKenna, who will make his fifth Gold Cup appearance, said it's a pleasure to line up alongside this edition of the Canadian team.

"I like to see good players coming through, and I think we have good players," McKenna said. "We have Julian (de Guzman) and Atiba (Hutchinson) in our midfield -- for me, two of the best players who have ever played for Canada.

"It's a privilege to play with these players. I'm hoping their qualities will shine through in this time and bring the team through to World Cup qualifying."

De Rosario was back at BMO Field for the first time since Toronto FC traded its captain and all-time leading scorer to the New York Red Bulls on April 1.

"It's nice, I've got some good memories on this field, especially when you're walking in with the national team, it's always an honour to represent your national team," said De Rosario, who will make his fourth Gold Cup appearance.

Canada opens the Gold Cup on Tuesday at Detroit's Ford Field against an American side that includes two of De Rosario's Red Bulls teammates: forward Juan Agudelo and defender Tim Ream. The rivalry has made for some good-natured ribbing.

"Back and forth, you take it, you give it," he said, laughing. "We've been having some friendly banter back and forth."

Canada hasn't played together since a 1-0 win over Belarus in March, and coach Stephen Hart finally had a full team to practise with Tuesday as he put his squad through an hour-long session at BMO Field.

"It's great to finally have everybody, I'm happy," the coach said.

Hart is approaching the next few months as building momentum toward World Cup qualifying, so practice was more of a chance for players to get reacquainted than anything else.

"We have to be realistic, it's more important to get our shape right and our ball movement right but that's going to take more than one one-hour session," Hart said. "We keep talking to the players, we know what we want, but it's a time thing, it just doesn't happen overnight."

Ecuador, which is coming off a 1-1 tie with Mexico in a friendly, will have Toronto FC forward Joao Plata in its lineup for the match.

Canada is currently ranked 76th in the world, compared to No. 64 for Ecuador.

Ecuador beat Canada 2-0 the last time the teams met, in 2002.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:59
Star Player

Canada rally for 2-2 draw vs. Ecuador at BMO Field

Dunfield, Ricketts net for Canucks in final tuneup before Gold Cup

TORONTO — Tosaint Ricketts’ dramatic injury-time goal lifted Canada to a 2-2 draw with Ecuador at BMO Field on Wednesday night in the Canucks' final warm-up before next week's Gold Cup.

Ricketts, who was a late attacking substitution for Stephen Hart’s side, potted his first international goal after receiving a quick free kick on the edge of the Ecuadorean penalty area, catching the visitors flat-footed as they argued with the referee.

The late strike capped off an exciting match in which both teams looked confident in moving the ball around.

Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder Terry Dunfield opened the scoring in the 24th minute after receiving a nice pass from Josh Simpson, who had beaten a pair of defenders the left wing. Dunfield found himself all alone from 25 yards out, and sent a laser into the upper right corner of Marcelo Elizaga’s goal.

The strike was Dunfield’s first for Canada at the senior level.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ador-bmo-field

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in