Can Canada qualify for Brazil 2014? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2010, 23:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Can Canada qualify for Brazil 2014?

Well, it seems everywhere you read or listen these days (in Canada), some pundit is bringing up the question of why Canada isn't in the WC and can we ever hope to get there, etc.

And a recent Ipsos poll says 78% of us think it's important for Canada to qualify for Brazil 2014.

Corporate soccεr flack Bob Lenarduzzi thinks it's possible for Canada to qualify next time. At least that's what he says. What he really thinks (as usual) he keeps to himself.

Canada currently ranks fifth in CONCACAF, which has 3.5 spots in Brazil 2014. If Canada qualifies, it will involve at least one "upset" match result, and probably 3 or 4. Plus consistently beating teams ranked lower than us.

What do you think? Is it (a) important or (b) possible for Canada to be in Brazil 2014?

If so, what are we going to do that we haven't been able to do before?

Last edited by Jeff; July 11th, 2010 at 01:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2010, 16:13
Star Player

yes to both questions
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2010, 19:33
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
a) yes
b) no

Too many incompetent people running the CSA, unwilling to hire the right talent to manage the team.

Inter Milan - 2010 Treble Winners

Selected Memories - Check out my Photography

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Canada currently ranks fifth in CONCACAF, which has 3.5 spots in Brazil 2014.
Um, correction: Make that ninth in CONCACAF, behind USA, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, El Salvador, and Panama, in that order.

Canada's best chance of getting to the next Wοrld Cup is to annex Mexico.

Last edited by Jeff; July 25th, 2010 at 04:05.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2010, 18:55
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
Its important, but long term changes will be needed. Im fed up of the political crap from the provincial associations and the CSA. If your province doesnt have quality players to make the national sqauds, deal with it by WORKING HARDER to improve the football in your province. We are not picking an all-star team.

This is like the Quebec media talking about how many Quebec players make the national hockey teams as if its a conspiracy against them.

\/\/
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2010, 04:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Hopefully Canada qualifies. I am supporting you guys to qualify.

BTW, what exactly are the political problems in the Canadian soccer association? How is the structure of football in the country? If I am not mistaken there are the regional teams and national competition is that right?
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2010, 00:22
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
The political issues are that regional (provincial) teams make a fuss if they do not have players selected for national squads. Some regions simply do not produce quality players, or are not at that particular age group. This means the best national talent is not always on the national team. Im sure this problem is not unique to Canada, but I have been told by coaches and a director of a different sport that this is the major problem CSA has to deal with to improve development.

\/\/
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2010, 03:29
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post
The political issues are that regional (provincial) teams make a fuss if they do not have players selected for national squads. Some regions simply do not produce quality players, or are not at that particular age group. This means the best national talent is not always on the national team. Im sure this problem is not unique to Canada, but I have been told by coaches and a director of a different sport that this is the major problem CSA has to deal with to improve development.
Thank you very much for the explanation.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2010, 03:55
Star Player

Teams: Inter, Gli Azzurri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoors View Post
a) yes
b) no

Too many incompetent people running the CSA, unwilling to hire the right talent to manage the team.
Precisely the problem.

Talent is there, and the pool is growing.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2010, 04:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Jager, you're Canadian?

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2010, 10:32
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoors View Post
a) yes
b) no

Proof? The CSA is far better run now than it was 5 years ago. Who or what's the right talent? I'll try and find the study that correlates the cost of coaching talent vs production. High priced coaching does not guarantee success (this was pretty obvious in the recent WC).

I'm trying to find the quote from Paul James or Stephen Hart that ridicules the people talking about national team selection politics. We don't have enough talented bodies to play that game.

When calling up players for NT games there are injuries and clubs that make it difficult to release players etc. You can't always have the best guys out there all the time. The coaching staff has to be selective in who and when they select players. They don't want to piss off the clubs because more often than not a player returning from NT duty may lose their spot for a few games. Obviously the players feel that pressure from their clubs as well and may turn down callups for lower profile NT matches.

There is no reason why we can't qualify for the next WC. It's a crapshoot after the top two teams in Concacaf. We are definitely due. Frankly, what I think we are missing versus some of our past better years is hard nosed players ie DeVos, Watson. We have way too many prima donnas who realistically have done nothing to brag about.

The three teams in MLS will mirror the glory years of Canadian soccer when the NASL existed. We will have a large, solid core of North American based players (we already do now except it will be larger) That will become a jumping off point for Europe, so we will have two different pools of talented players.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2010, 18:11
Premier Player

The biggest problem with Canadian football(i hate the term soccer) is talent. Or more importantly development of players to play with the ball at their feet. Until this changes, it will be hard to beat these central American teams. because they play with a lot more passion on that pitch then Canada.

The Canadian teams almost always lose away games. I think if we can instill a better ball control game out on that pitch, these away games would be easier to handle.

To me their is a whole list of things i could write down, but Canada really needs to start somewhere. And I would start with youngsters learning how to dribble and holding onto that ball. Once you can do that, then go onto passing, shooting etc...

And NO, I DON'T SEE CANADA MAKING THE NEXT WORLD CUP.

The talent simply is not in place for this happen now. I am thinking more like 2018 or 2022.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2010, 23:23
Rising Star

The biggest problem with Canadian soccer at the NT level is organization and structure. Until this year we have not had enough games to create the familiarity amongst the players to play winning soccer.

Nobody gave the young German team a chance in the recent WC yet they totally exposed Argentina. Ball skills are one thing but if you are not allowed the time to use them that's another.

Absolutely no reason why we cannot be third in Concacaf. European clubs recognize the talent that we have yet we are being beaten by Latin American teams composed of largely domestically based players. Why? Because they are concentrated in a smaller area (country) making getting together for camps and friendlies much easier.

Another reason is better fan support. The CSA is taking a risk by organizing home friendlies this year. Why? Because the home team is on the hook to pay the visitors expenses. If nobody shows up, the CSA takes the bath. There are hard core support groups like the Voyageurs, RPB, Ultras, Southsiders etc who have banded together with the CSA to purchase tickets but we need the average fan to come out.

As a CMNT supporter it is very disappointing to come to a Canadian forum and see people's avatars with a Canadian home but support of some obscure, backwater, foreign team instead of the Impact, Whitecaps, TFC, CMNT. Support equals revenue, revenue equals more friendlies, camps etc and better results.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; July 30th, 2010 at 08:57.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2010, 22:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post
As a CMNT supporter it is very disappointing to come to a Canadian forum and see people's avatars with a Canadian home but support of some obscure, backwater, foreign team instead of the Impact, Whitecaps, TFC, CMNT. Support equals revenue, revenue equals more friendlies, camps etc and better results.
So it has to be one or the other? Why is that?

Why can't people choose to follow a much better level of football with access to European teams in this day and age?

I'm a TFC season ticket holder, have been since day one, and attended Canada's WC qualifier against Jamaica here. But yes, I care far more about how Real Madrid and Porto do. That doesn't mean I don't support my local teams.

Do not equate attending games with somebody's pictoral representation of their internet profile.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2010, 22:44
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
I think 2014 is not that important and is too early.
CSA only now finding more exhibition games, more MLS teams, and doing real grass roots with a heavy emphasis on immigrants will make 2018 and beyond more realistic. Also hopefullt MLS teams will rely on and/or set up university and 'minor league' teams for nurturing local talent.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2010, 03:57
Ne oprastam
Legend

Teams: Serbia,Red Star
I can't see it happening.

Joe the only way those friendlies are going to draw big crowds is if a lot of Peruvian and Honduran Canadians come to support their ancestral homelands. It's sad to say but people won't go to watch Canada, there is just no interest.

Ој Крајино ноћас си далеко, ал знај добро на те мисли неко!
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2010, 14:06
Rising Star

Apparently you haven't heard of the Voyageurs? There is a new soccer culture in Canada not fueled mainly by immigrants and ex pats.

TFC sells out and big name foreign clubs come to Toronto and bomb. An example is the recent game between Greek champions Panathinaikos and European and Italian champions Inter Milan at the Rogers Centre (att 17,169).

And another example

But this game was another sign that the many promoters who bring in European and South American clubs for off-season friendlies need to rethink their strategies.

This past weekend, Portuguese champs Benfica and Greek champs Panathinaikos played to a 0-0 draw to a less than half-full BMO Field.

Toronto has changed.

It’s a city that has passionate fans — who now have their own Major League Soccer team to support.

Say what you will about the quality of MLS as opposed to Serie A or any other major European league, TFC’s games here mean something. They count in the standings. And what’s left is a city that no longer is swept away by meaningless exhibitions by European clubs, no matter the big names on the lineup sheet.

Yes, I understand the difference between club and international soccer but the Canada haters and Eurosnobs are no longer being courted to attend matches. They'll just be left behind because the landscape is changing.

The CSA is working with supporter groups to sell them prime tickets at special rates and colour the stadium red. The days of the reggae band in Edmonton and the Montreal debacle are gone.

Get your tickets for Canada/Honduras, Canada/Peru here
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2010, 13:59
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post
Apparently you haven't heard of the Voyageurs? There is a new soccer culture in Canada not fueled mainly by immigrants and ex pats.

TFC sells out and big name foreign clubs come to Toronto and bomb. An example is the recent game between Greek champions Panathinaikos and European and Italian champions Inter Milan at the Rogers Centre (att 17,169).

And another example

But this game was another sign that the many promoters who bring in European and South American clubs for off-season friendlies need to rethink their strategies.

This past weekend, Portuguese champs Benfica and Greek champs Panathinaikos played to a 0-0 draw to a less than half-full BMO Field.

Toronto has changed.

It’s a city that has passionate fans — who now have their own Major League Soccer team to support.

Say what you will about the quality of MLS as opposed to Serie A or any other major European league, TFC’s games here mean something. They count in the standings. And what’s left is a city that no longer is swept away by meaningless exhibitions by European clubs, no matter the big names on the lineup sheet.

Yes, I understand the difference between club and international soccer but the Canada haters and Eurosnobs are no longer being courted to attend matches. They'll just be left behind because the landscape is changing.

The CSA is working with supporter groups to sell them prime tickets at special rates and colour the stadium red. The days of the reggae band in Edmonton and the Montreal debacle are gone.

Get your tickets for Canada/Honduras, Canada/Peru here
I'd argue the reason some of the friendlies had poor attendance (I was at the Inter-Pana game) is the ridiculous prices charged for tickets. Two tickets cost me 200 bucks. And they weren't front-row seats either. For that amount of money I could see Inter in Milan with good seats. Absolutely absurd to charge that for average seats in a meaningless friendly.

Inter Milan - 2010 Treble Winners

Selected Memories - Check out my Photography
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2010, 00:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Paul James in the Globe and Mail, Sept. 2:

Quote:
If Canada does not qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil it should not necessarily mean a negative postmortem on whether Stephen Hart has done a good job as a national team coach. It would definitely help if they did get to Brazil (as facetious as it sounds) but for a country that has failed miserably on the last four attempts, most pundits are beginning to take the train of thought that a decent effort with plenty of vim and vigour will be palatable at this stage.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2010, 19:15
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
He has a point. If we see some young players showing their potential and some who give us long term hope it is enough for now. This will be a long term building process any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in