Canada 0-5 Argentina, May 24, 2010 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 13:57 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada 0-5 Argentina, May 24, 2010

Game to be played at Estadio Monumental Antonio Vespucio Liberti, home of River Plate. To be confirmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2010, 00:53
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
It's been confirmed for May 24, not May 25 as originally conjectured. I have amended the thread title accordingly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2010, 20:37 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada announces rosters for South American trip
14 May 2010
http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/vie...?Press_ID=4253

Canada’s men’s national team has announced its rosters for the upcoming camp and matches in South America this 17-29 May. Coach Stephen Hart has selected 24 players, 19 of whom will take part in the 24 May match against Argentina and 16 of whom will take part in the 29 May match against Venezuela.

'Putting together the roster for these two matches was a challenge because of injuries and unforeseen player commitments,' said Hart. 'Most of the clubs, however, have been cooperative and I thank them for their understanding and support.'

The 24 May match will be the first meeting between the two national sides of Canada and Argentina. ‪‪The host, a two-time FIFA World Cup™ champion, has selected Canada as one of its last opponents in preparation for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, which runs this 11 June to 11 July.

The 29 May match provides Canada with a second international test against a South American opponent. Additional players will be added to the Canadian lineup for the Venezuela match.

There are 11 players traveling to both venues on the South American tour. In that group, goalkeeper Haidar Al-Shaďbani, centre back Adam Straith and midfielder Pedro Pacheco all received their first call-up to the national team. Al-Shaďbani, who last year represented Canadian Interuniversity Sport at the Summer Universiade in Belgrade, is currently playing club football with Nîmes Olympique in France. Al-Shaďbani is 26 years old. Straith, 19, plays club football for Energie Cottbus in Germany while Pacheco, 25, plays club football for CD Nacional in Madeira, Portugal.

In the group of players joining the Canadian team before the Venezuela match, midfielders Terry Dunfield, Gavin McCallum and Gianluca Zavarise have all received their first call up to the national team. Dunfield, 28, and McCallum, 22, both play in England: Dunfield with Shrewsbury Town FC and McCallum with Hereford United. Zavarise, 23, plays in Germany for VfL Bochum.

As both of these matches fall outside the FIFA calendar date, some players were unavailable because of club commitments. Also of note, Patrice Bernier, Marcel de Jong, Atiba Hutchinson and Dejan Jakovic were all unavailable because of injuries.

As for those veterans making the South American trip, Paul Stalteri will be doing his best to impress coach Hart in hopes of making another one or two appearances. Stalteri has 79 career appearances with the national team, just three back of Canada’s all-time leader Randy Samuel who retired after 1997 with 82 appearances. Also on the trip is Pat Onstad, who is tied with the retired Craig Forrest for most career appearances by a goalkeeper (56).

CANADA (v. Argentina)
1- G- Wagenaar, Josh | SCO / Falkirk
2- D- Straith, Adam | GER / Energie Cottbus
3- D- Klukowski, Mike | BEL / Club Brugge
4- D- Hainault, André | USA / Houston Dynamo
6- M- de Guzman, Julian | CAN / Toronto FC
7- D- Stalteri, Paul | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach
8- M- Johnson, Will | USA / Real Salt Lake
9- F- Friend, Rob | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach
10- M- Imhof, Daniel | SUI / St. Gallen
11- D- Hastings, Richard | SCO / Hamilton
12- D- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt
13- M- Peters, Jaime | ENG / Ipswich Town
14- M- De Rosario, Dwayne | CAN / Toronto FC
15- M- Simpson, Josh | TUR / Manisaspor
16- F- Jackson, Simeon | ENG / Gillingham FC
17- F- Ademolu, Stephen | LIT / FK Ekranas
18- G- Onstad, Pat | USA / Houston Dynamo
19- D- Pacheco, Pedro | POR / Nacional
22- G- Al-Shaďbani, Haidar | FRA / Nîmes Olympique

Head of delegation: Maestracci, Dr. Dominic
Head of delegation: Montagliani, Victor
Head Coach: Hart, Stephen
Assistant Coach: Fonseca, Tony
Goalkeeper Coach: Dolan, Paul
Video Coordinator: Mendes, Victor
Team Manager: Quarry, Morgan
Equipment Manager: Moretto, Mike
Doctor / Docteur: Campbell, Dr. Mike
Physiotherapist: Tilbury, Ted
Physiotherapist: Kusch, Garret

CANADA (v. Venezuela)
1- G- Wagenaar, Josh | SCO / Falkirk
2- D- Sidra, Eddy | GER / Energie Cottbus
3- D- Klukowski, Mike | BEL / Club Brugge
4- D- Straith, Adam | GER / Energie Cottbus
6- M- Zavarise, Gianluca | GER / VfL Bochum
7- D- Stalteri, Paul | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach
8- M- Dunfield, Terry | ENG / Shrewsbury Town FC
9- F- Friend, Rob | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach
11- D- Hastings, Richard | SCO / Hamilton
12- M- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt
14- M- McCallum, Gavin | ENG / Hereford United
15- M- Nakajima-Farran, Issey | DEN / AC Horsens
16- F- Jackson, Simeon | ENG / Gillingham FC
17- F- Ademolu, Stephen | LIT / FK Ekranas
19- M- Pacheco, Pedro | POR / Nacional
22- G- Al-Shaďbani, Haidar | FRA / Nîmes Olympique

Head of delegation: Maestracci, Dr. Dominic
Head Coach: Hart, Stephen
Assistant Coach: Fonseca, Tony
Goalkeeper Coach: Dolan, Paul
Video Coordinator: Mendes, Victor
Team Manager: Quarry, Morgan
Equipment Manager: Moretto, Mike
Doctor / Docteur: Campbell, Dr. Mike
Physiotherapist: Tilbury, Ted
Physiotherapist: Kusch, Garret

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2010, 20:38 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada announces broadcast for South American trip
14 May 2010
http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/vie...?Press_ID=4252

The Canadian Soccer Association has announced that both away international matches against Argentina and Venezuela will be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet. The 24 May match from Buenos Aires, Argentina will be broadcast live on all four Rogers Sportsnet channels at 15:30 ET / 12:30 PT. Rogers Sportsnet will also be broadcasting the 29 May match from Merida, Venezuela, with the schedule to be announced in the coming weeks.

'This is a wonderful opportunity to play these two big matches in Argentina and Venezuela,' said Canada’s national head coach Stephen Hart. 'It is also terrific news that our fans at home and abroad will get to watch the matches on Rogers Sportsnet.'

The 24 May match will be the first meeting between the two national sides of Canada and Argentina. ‪‪The host, a two-time FIFA World Cup™ champion, has selected Canada as one of its last opponents in preparation for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, which runs this 11 June to 11 July.

The 29 May match provides Canada with a second international test against a South American opponent. Of note, the two matches provide very different challenges for the Canadian squad. Canada will have four days to prepare for the Argentina match which is expected to be played in the cool fall weather. Canada then has three days to prepare for the Venezuela match, which is expected to be played in heat, not to mention at altitude.

These two matches will be Canada’s last international matches before the world breaks to watch the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™.

In the second half of the year, Canada will return to action with matches already scheduled in September and October. The two September matches - 4 September in Toronto and 7 September in Montréal - will both be played in Canada.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2010, 20:42 Thread Starter
Rising Star

HART NAMES ROSTERS FOR ARGENTINA AND VENEZUELA MATCHES
May 14/10 Steve Bottjer
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Hart_N..._article.shtml

Men’s Canadian National Team Head Coach Stephen Hart unveiled the rosters for Canada's upcoming friendlies in South America against Argentina and Venezuela via a media conference call today.

As expected, the rosters for the matches are comprised of a mixture of veterans and young players, with only the match against Argentina featuring players who play their club soccer in the MLS.

"Putting together the roster for these two matches was a challenge because of injuries and unforeseen player commitments," said Hart. "Most of the clubs, however, have been cooperative and I thank them for their understanding and support."

Goalkeeper Haidar Al-Shaďbani, centre back Adam Straith and midfielders Pedro Pacheco, Terry Dunfield, Gavin McCallum and Gianluca Zavarise have all received their first call up to the national team.

Hart characterized the match in Argentina as a historic one that is very important for the development of the national team program and for the Canadian players.

He also stated his belief that the Venezuela game is very important because the team presents another very good opponent - one that was only one point away from getting to the World Cup qualification playoff for their region - and it will force the team to move from one climate extreme to another as they shift from playing and training in Argentina in cool fall weather to playing in heat and at altitude in Venezuela.

During the conference call Hart spoke candidly on a number of topics related to team selection and what he hopes to achieve in South America.

On prying a number of MLS players from their squads even though the Argentina match is not on a FIFA date and given the hectic schedule that Toronto FC is facing:

"I mean it was difficult. I have been talking to the coaches since March and none of them were able to answer me then, as they did not know what types of situations they would be in. They have their own individual situations and I have mine. But all credit to the coaches in that they all felt that it would be very difficult to tell a player that they couldn't play in such a game. And eventually they allowed the players to go and I thank them for that."

On goalkeeper Haidar Al Shaibani:
"He played in Ontario and now plays in France. We have scouted him and we thought it would provide a good opportunity to have a look at him, especially as Lars (Hirschfeld) was unavailable to come in. We'll see him in camp and we'll see how well he fits in with the group."

On how much the Argentina match will be about evaluating players vs just allowing his players to enjoy the experience of playing against one of the top teams in the world:

"Personally, I always evaluate myself, even after each practice session, so that is an ongoing thing. Of course, I would like them to enjoy the experience, but we will be going into the game with certain objectives in mind - individually and collectively. And hopefully we can get a lot out of this one game."

On his specific objectives for the Argentina match:
"We've had ongoing discussions with players when they come in about what we would like to achieve collectively and, of course, with some of them about their individual roles and responsibilities. Playing Argentina in Argentina is a lot different than playing Brazil in Seattle. We have to be aware of the environment that we are going into. Also, some of the things that we'd like to achieve out of the game will be put in place once we have reviewed some of Argentina's recent games. And we see that as a building process for the team for the future in terms of how can approach games and adapt to different teams and environments while not straying too far from what we'd like to do."

On rumours that he had faced some resistance from players with respect to them wanting to take part in the match and go to Argentina:
"It was not so much having to sell the players. A lot of players are torn as they are pressured by their clubs. Not all the clubs are happy to let players go. As you know, it is not a FIFA date, so it is sometimes a matter of players being torn between their clubs and us, which is not an ideal situation."

On Nana Attakora not be selected for these two matches:
"I would have liked to have had different players, but I did not see how I could go to a club and say I want four or five of your players, especially when they would have to miss (club) games. So I went and I asked for the players that I wanted for this game and for the next game I will ask for somebody else. It's very difficult to just come and ask a club to release 4 or 5 five players for a game. It was hard enough getting one in some instances, so it is a bit of give and take, especially for an exhibition game."

On the status of David Hoilett and David Edgar who were not included in the squads:
"They were invited. I don't think David Hoilett is ready yet. He does not want to commit to any international team and wants to establish himself with his club. We've been in communication with each other, but I don't get the feeling that he is ready to commit yet. David Edgar has some personal things to deal with and couldn't join us. "

On whether or not Paul Stalteri will still be involved with the program in the coming years given that younger players are now coming up:
"I can't really say at this point. If Paul was to sign a new contract and play consistently and be at the top of his game, I would have to consider him. I have told all the players that if they are playing consistently and competing day in day out and performing, then I will consider them. So it is very difficult to just say that this is someone's last go around. I don't think that would be fair or smart on my part and I don't think it would be fair to the program."

On the absence of Kevin McKenna against Argentina and Venezuela:
"Kevin was invited and up until about two weeks ago he was raring to go. We were communicating back and forth and then all of a sudden he had some personal issues (surgery and previous commitment to possibly playing in a former teammate's tribute game - JM) and he had to drop out for this set of matches. I know he is gutted because he was ready to play two weeks ago."

On Vancouver and Montreal joining the MLS and the impact on the national team program:
"It's positive in that it opens up opportunities for our young players. Hopefully the MLS as a league starts to recognize the FIFA dates and will fall in line with the international calendar. I know it is difficult for them, but for us, if the players are not available from March until the end of October, it becomes very difficult for us to have any sense of continuity with the national team program. My concern is not with the Canadian clubs, it more with the league itself and the need for it fall in line with the FIFA dates and tournaments like the Gold Cup."

On the possibility of Jonathan De Guzman playing for Canada considering that he was not called up by Holland for the World Cup:
"It's something that I am going to have to look into. He has been injured for most of the year and once the World Cup is over it's not something that I am hesitant to pursue."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 18:51
Star Player

Should be a good one...Rogers ontario won't have the game live but all the other regions will.The experience and exposure will be good for us..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 04:19
Star Player

Argentina routs Canada minus Messi

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Maxi Rodriguez scored two goals and Argentina defeated Canada 5-0 on Monday in the Gauchos' final tuneup before their World Cup opener June 12 against Nigeria.

Argentina's farewell match was played with FIFA player of the year Lionel Messi on the bench. Messi was rested by coach Diego Maradona after a grueling European season. Midfielder Javier Pastore started up front with Carlos Tevez and Gonzalo Higuain. Except for Messi, the lineup was the one expected when Argentina opens the World Cup.

Watch the Replay
Argentina-Canada replay on ESPN3

http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=7...=International Friendly?id=7567&league=International Friendly&size=condensed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in