The Ottawa Fury thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:06 Thread Starter
Star Player

The Ottawa Fury thread

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

OTTAWA, ONTARIO – Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG), in partnership with Ottawa Fury owner and CEO John Pugh, announced today they have applied for a United Soccer Leagues First Division (USL-1) franchise. The team would play and be based at a proposed new stadium at Lansdowne Park, which would be built as part of the Lansdowne project, subject to Ottawa City Council’s approval.

"Our application for a USL franchise, at this point in time, ensures that soccer specific elements will be incorporated into the stadium design to optimize the experience for soccer fans and players," said Jeff Hunt, an OSEG partner. "And I can tell you, the fan experience for USL-1 soccer is top-notch. The caliber of play, the quality of the stadia and the involvement of the players in community activities is second to none. It is a tremendous environment for soccer purists, casual fans and families seeking an affordable, fun outing."

http://usl1.uslsoccer.com/home/361426.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2013, 16:07
Rising Star

Former Montreal Impact coach Marc Dos Santos named first coach of Ottawa Fury FC North American Soccer League squad
Tim Baines Ottawa Sun May 23, 2013

Ottawa Fury FC went all the way to Brazil to find its first coach — a Canadian.

It was announced Thursday that Marc Dos Santos, 36, will join Fury FC on July 1 after spending the last two years coaching in Brazil.

Born in Montreal, Dos Santos is best known for leading the Montreal Impact to the United Soccer Leagues (USL) First Division title in his first year at the helm.

Dos Santos returns to the NASL, where he was one of the original eight coaches in 2011 with the Impact.

"Although it was never a prerequisite, we're delighted to have a Canadian coach," said Fury FC president John Pugh. "He speaks Portuguese, French, Spanish and English — the languages of soccer."

Introduced via a video conference call, Dos Santos says the challenge joining an expansion team brings, plus family, were huge factors in his decision to return to Canada.

"I need to have challenges in my life," he said. "I have a lot of Portugal in me, but I'm Canadian. I felt it was important to have the top Canadian coaches in Canada.

"And soccer is not is not everything in my life. It's about family. My wife is from Montreal."

The coach expects Fury FC to have a certain style on the field, one that will be appealing to fans.

"I'm extremely competitive," he said. "In the first year, there's no pressure to be super good. But I put a lot of pressure on myself. We want to press, we want to dictate. We want to be a fast, dynamic team. We've got a lot of work to do in the next six months to build a competitive club.

"With the Impact, I learned to win. I learned tomorrow doesn't count, yesterday doesn't count, what counts is the next game."

So what's the coach going to be looking for in the way of players?

"We don't want a big player who's 33 or 35, a player who's in a comfort zone and looking to finish his career," said Dos Santos. "We want ambitious players who are looking to make a name for themselves."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2013, 16:08
Rising Star

Marc Dos Santos Named First Head Coach of Fury FC
Dos Santos To Begin July 1

Ottawa Fury FC proudly announced the appointment Marc Dos Santos as the North American Soccer League (NASL) club’s first head coach today. Dos Santos, who is currently coaching with Desportivo in Brazil, was introduced via a video conference call from Sao Paolo, Brazil. The 36 year old will join Fury FC on July 1st. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“I’m very proud and honoured to lead Ottawa Fury FC in its first NASL season,” said the newly appointed Dos Santos. “I hope this is only the beginning of a great story of success. The city will embrace this team, I’m sure!”

Born in Montreal, Dos Santos is best known for leading the Montreal Impact to the United Soccer Leagues (USL) First Division title in his first year at the helm.

Dos Santos joins Fury FC after spending the last two years coaching in Brazil. After coaching the U20 team of FC Primeira Camisa in the 2012 Copa Sao Paolo, the Montreal native was invited to join SE Palmeiras, one of the most successful clubs in Brazilian football, where he coached the U15 team to their first ever Brazilian Championship (2012).

"We are thrilled to have Marc joining our club as our first head coach," said Fury FC President, John Pugh. "He has experienced tremendous success wherever he has coached. In particular with the Impact and most recently in Brazil. He is widely respected for his coaching abilities, possesses all the qualities we were looking for in a head coach and shares our holistic club philosophy".

In five years with the Impact, Dos Santos led the Impact Reserves (Trois-Riviθre Attak) to the Open Canada Cup Championship in 2007 and the Canadian Soccer League regular season championship in 2008. Appointed as Assistant Coach to John Limniatis in 2008, he helped the Impact win the Nutrilite (now Amway) Canadian Championship and reach the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League. Dos Santos was appointed interim head coach in May 2009 and later that season saw the interim tag removed as he led the Impact to the USL Championship. In 2010, the Impact reached the semifinals in USSF Division 2 (now NASL). Dos Santos would resign in June 2011 during the Impacts final season in the NASL before they made the jump to Major League Soccer.

Dos Santos returns to the NASL where he was one of the original eight coaches in 2011 with the Montreal Impact.

Dos Santos holds a UEFA ‘A’ License and has had internships in Brazil with Luiz Felipe Scolari at SE Palmeiras, in England with Chelsea FC and at Portuguese clubs FC Porto, Boavista FC and SC Beira Mar.

The Canadian-born Dos Santos holds both Canadian and Portuguese citizenship and is fluent in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2013, 17:14 Thread Starter
Star Player

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2013, 18:38 Thread Starter
Star Player

Ottawa Fury FC Awarded OPDL License
18 Organizations to Take the Pitch in 2014

The Ontario Soccer Association (OSA) today announced that Ottawa Fury FC is one of eighteen clubs that have been awarded an Ontario Player Development League (OPDL) license for a two-year period. In 2014, teams will take to the pitch in the U13 age group. The OPDL will add the U14 age group in 2015, and will continue to add an age group in each successive year.

“The OPDL will not only provide a quality competition, but it will also encourage every Club to invest time and resources in order to put their players in the best possible conditions and help them maximize their potential,” said Fury FC Technical Director Phillip Dos Santos. “The project is ambitious for every Club and we need to realize how important competition is for the development of our young players, but we also know that the daily environment is just as important, therefore, we have also set our own standards.We believe the league will help us to provide our players with a longer period of competition, this is aligned with the plan we have traced for our program.”

http://www.reddit.com/tb/1n51df
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:32
Nullius in verba
World Class Player

Teams: FK Crvena zvezda, FC Steaua Bucureşti
FURY FC UNVEIL TRAINING CAMP ROSTER

17 signed players will be joined by 7 trialists and 3 Fury FC U20 Academy players
February 28, 2014 - Fury FC Communication

Ottawa Fury FC open Training Camp on Monday, March 3 at the Complexe Branchaud-Briθre in Gatineau. At present the roster at the start of training camp will include 17 players from the official roster, 7 trialists and 3 Fury FC U20 Academy players.

Three Fury FC Academy players have earned the opportunity to join the Fury FC training camp that opens Monday, March 3 at the Complexe Branchaud-Briere in Gatineau. Goalkeeper Nicholas Jeffs, Midfielder Mitchell O'Brien and Forward Thierry Foucher Lemay will join 17 members of the Fury FC roster and 7 trialists at the clubs inaugural training camp.

“We are extremely happy to see the effort and work of Nicholas, Mitch and Thierry being rewarded," said Fury FC Technical Director Phillip Dos Santos. "All 3 players came into this year’s U20 training program determined to grow and benefit from the environment we created in the Academy. Having Academy players at the pro-team training camp shows the commitment the Club has in giving our young players a chance to excel at the highest level in the club."

"If a young player deserves to be rewarded with such opportunity then he will," added Dos Santos. "This will be an ongoing process for them, they need to grasp every single aspect in training, grow and learn with the coaching staff and all the other players in the squad. This needs to be seen as a great incentive not only for our younger academy players, but for all the young players in Ottawa."

The complete training camp roster is below:

OFFICIAL ROSTER

GK – Chad Bush
GK – Marcel DeBellis
D – Ramon Soria Alonso
D – Drew Beckie
D – Omar Jarun
D – Andres Fresenga
D – Maykon Araujo
M – Nicki Paterson
M – Richie Ryan
M – Sinisa Ubiparipovic
M – Mauro Eustaquio
M – Hamza Elias
M – Philippe Davies
F – Tom Heinemann
F – Oliver Minatel
F – Carl Haworth
F – Pierre-Rudolph Mayard

TRIALISTS

D – Edmund Amadeo
D – Jean Philippe Etienne
D – Adrian LeRoy
D – Kevin Cossette
M – Kenny Caceros
M – Sandro Rajkovic
M – Felipe Da Costa

FURY FC U20 ACADEMY PLAYERS

GK – Nicholas Jeffs
M – Mitchell O’Brien
F – Thierry Foucher Lemay

14/10/2014
Serbia 3 – 0 Albania

Click at your own risk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2014, 10:10
Rising Star

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2015, 21:24
Rookie

We were lucky enough to interview Ottawa Fury goalkeeping coach Bruce Grobbelaar, recently. His interview is on this page, amongst a couple others:

http://underthecoshblog.com/exclusive-interviews/

Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in