Canada 2-2 Costa Rica, July 10 2009 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2009, 22:08 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada 2-2 Costa Rica, July 10 2009

I think you might see a bit of a let down tonight. We match up well against CR, but they are going to be a lot more motivated with the added advantages of a "home" crowd and an artificial pitch on which many of them are more accustomed (Saprissa)

They're also playing to qualify while we've already made the quarter-finals (I think) because we would be the highest ranked third place qualifier in the group (if we lose).

Look forward to seeing some new faces because of some injuries and cards. JDG may not play or will likely not get full minutes, INJ will likely see action as may Jaime Peters. Would love to see Jaime at back where he seems to have resurrected his young career at Ipswich. I would also like to see future stalwart Andre Hainault get in the game but I don't think he will unless someone is injured (presently)

And how bout Dejan Jakovic, is he not the silky smooth defender we've been missing since Tony Menezes. That guy won't be too long at DC United, he'll get snapped up in Europe.

Would also like to see Simeon Jackson get some views from scouts as Gillingham are hoping nobody sees him (this coming from their manager) as he is clearly better than League One.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; July 10th, 2009 at 22:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2009, 03:44
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Canada drew 2-2 with Costa Rica and advanced to the Gold Cup quarterfinals on Friday.
The draw assured Canada seven points to top Group A. The Canadians defeated Jamaica and El Salvador in their first two group games and advanced to the quarterfinals on July 18.

Costa Rica struck first on Andy Herron's goal in the 22nd minute. Greg Sutton sent a goal kick to the midfield area, where Costa Rica's Armando Alonso headed it to an open Herron on the right wing. Herron dribbled unmarked to Canada's penalty area and Sutton came off his line to cut Herron's angle. But Herron flicked a shot past Sutton.

Canada responded with two goals in the next four minutes. Patrice Bernier leveled in the 23rd when he sent a Josh Simpson pass from the left wing past goalkeeper Ricardo Gonzalez.

Marcel De Jong put Canada ahead with a 25-meter blast.

Walter Centeno tied it with a swerving free kick above a wall of defenders seven minutes later.

In a frantic last 15 minutes, Costa Rica went close to winning. Celso Borges' deep shot was deflected by Canada defender Jaime Peter next to the left post in the 75th, and eight minutes later, Canada dodged another close call as Centeno's header sailed above the crossbar.

- AP report
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2009, 16:26
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Even with all the subs we matched up well against Costa Rica's first team and were unlucky to draw as Sutton was compleatly at fault for their first goal. Like I said beforte, his ball distribution and clearances are piss poor, and they caught us because of it.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2009, 04:13
Nullius in verba
World Class Player

Teams: FK Crvena zvezda, FC Steaua Bucureşti
Dejan Jakovic has already had a short spell in Europe, at Crvena Zvezda (Red Star) in Belgrade, Serbia (his country of birth and origin). I am a CZ fan but I have to say he was absolutely terrible, and only made three (3) appearances for Crvena Zvezda. That CZ edition was also the worst one in its long and rich history, which makes Jakovic look even worst, considering he couldn't earn a spot amongst such a poor defensive line. However, it might've been that Jakovic was not prepared for Europe at the time and that his experience in the MLS will help him earn a future contract somewhere in Europe. When he arrived in Serbia, his previous team was the U of Alabama, so it might've been too big of a jump in his career. We will see what the future brings him but I wish him the best of luck although I hope he never comes anywhere near the Crvena Zvezda Stadium again.

14/10/2014
Serbia 3 – 0 Albania

Click at your own risk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2009, 09:31 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
We will see what the future brings him but I wish him the best of luck although I hope he never comes anywhere near the Crvena Zvezda Stadium again.
From what I heard about the story, at the time, I think Jakovic might be thinking the same thing.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2009, 22:58
Nullius in verba
World Class Player

Teams: FK Crvena zvezda, FC Steaua Bucureşti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post
From what I heard about the story, at the time, I think Jakovic might be thinking the same thing.
What did you hear? Apart from his whining about the trainings being too tough for him, and him whining about not playing, I don't know.

14/10/2014
Serbia 3 – 0 Albania

Click at your own risk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2009, 00:22 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post
Would also like to see Simeon Jackson get some views from scouts as Gillingham are hoping nobody sees him (this coming from their manager) as he is clearly better than League One.
Rumour has Championship side Leicester City offering 1.5 million for Simeon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in