The 2009 Toronto FC thread - Xtratime Community
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2008, 02:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
The 2009 Toronto FC thread

Toronto FC announced December 12, 2008 they have acquired four-time MLS Cup winner and three-time MLS All-Star midfielder/forward Dwayne De Rosario from the Houston Dynamo in exchange for defender Julius James and allocation money. As per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2008, 02:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC announced December 11 that the team has sold out its season seats for the 2009 Major League Soccer season. The team has capped season sales at 16,000 for the second straight season.

95% of those season seats came in the form of renewals.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2008, 14:50
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Toronto FC announced December 12, 2008 they have acquired four-time MLS Cup winner and three-time MLS All-Star midfielder/forward Dwayne De Rosario from the Houston Dynamo in exchange for defender Julius James and allocation money. As per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not released.
This is a big coup for TFC. Now all they need is to improve the rest of their shitty squad and they are good to go :rollani:

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2008, 03:33 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannisAEK View Post
Now all they need is to improve the rest of their shitty squad and they are good to go :rollani:
That's true: De Rosario can't carry the team alone. Look what happened with him on the national team in the WC Qualifiers...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2008, 23:54
Ne oprastam
Legend

Teams: Serbia,Red Star
Great move now we need a striker.

Ој Крајино ноћас си далеко, ал знај добро на те мисли неко!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2008, 00:42
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Actually I think we need 1 or 2 center backs more than we need a striker.

Chad Barret can score goals, and Danny is coming back, Ibby will be a year older. Do we still have Ruiz?

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2009, 21:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC will kick off the 2009 Major League Soccer season at Kansas City, and will host the expansion Seattle Sounders FC in its home opener.

The MLS schedule released Wednesday has Toronto playing the Wizards at Kansas City on March 21, then Eastern Conference rival Crew at Columbus on March 28.

Toronto will then open up its third season at BMO Field on April 4 against the visiting Sounders in a 3:30 p.m. ET kickoff.

David Beckham could make his first regular-season appearance in Toronto when the Los Angeles Galaxy visits June 6. The England midfielder was either injured or away on international duty during the team's two previous visits, although he did play in last year's MLS all-star game in Toronto.

The MLS season will see each of the 15 clubs play 30 regular-season games. Toronto will play each team home and away, except for Columbus and the New York Red Bulls, whom they face three times.

Toronto wraps up the regular season Oct. 24 in New York. Eight teams qualify or the MLS Cup playoffs, which open Oct. 29.

This year's all-star game is July 29 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah.

- Associated Press report

Don't count on seeing Beckham, however.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2009, 21:01
Ne oprastam
Legend

I can't wait

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Fans in the stands: Supporter groups at BMO Field
By Jack Kazmierski, Toronto Sun

Like many soccer clubs around the world, Toronto FC have some incredibly passionate fans.

Perhaps coach John Carver put it best when he said, "The fans are passionate and right behind the team even when things aren't going well."

And while some fans prefer to express their support of the team in a more individual manner, others have joined one of Toronto FC'S supporter groups.

Here's a quick look at the four fervent fanbases you'll find at BMO Field:

NORTH END ELITE

Founded in 2007, North End Elite started off with only three members.

"We sat in the same row of seats and thought it would be a good idea to start a supporter group in the north end of the stadium, since all the supporters were congregated in the south end," says group co-founder, Pedro Almeida.

You'll find the North End Elite in section 127. Their numbers have grown to well over 100 and although they admire many TFC players, you'll likely find them cheering the hardest for Dwayne De Rosario and Danny Dichio.

North End Elite expect great things for TFC this year. "I expect a playoff birth," Almeida says. "The pre-season has been great and with the additions in the off-season, it looks like the team is ready to jump forward and take the next step. Playoffs are a must this year and winning the Canada Cup would also be a very important step to take. Both are possible, both won't be easy, but I believe this team has the talent to do it."

TRIBAL RHYTHM NATION

Two years ago, three friends named Duane, Sharief and Marcus banded together to start Tribal Rhythm Nation. The trio are passionate soccer players and fans, and possess a love of music -- specifically the drum, in its many forms. The rhythm of the drum is where the "Rhythm" in Tribal Rhythm Nation comes from.

"We contacted MLSE management," says Duane DaSilva, "told them our intentions, created the name, logo and website, spread the word for people to join us, and the rest is history."

The Nation currently boasts over 600 "citizens" and while most sit in section 118, others are spread throughout BMO Field. Favourite players include Dwayne De Rosario, Rohan Ricketts, Danny Dichio, and Marvell Wynne.

What sets this supporter group apart from all others is their chant -- TFC... we want a goal -- accompanied by their rhythmic steelpan and conga drums. "We are known more for our drum beats than our chants," says DaSilva.

RED PATCH BOYS

The seeds for the group known today as the Red Patch Boys were sown back in 2006 by a British gentleman who started an online discussion group about TFC. The name "Red Patch Boys" is a tribute to the veterans of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division of the Second World War, who were referred to as the "Red Patch Devils" by Axis troops in recognition of their bravery and perseverance in the face of heavy combat.

Today, this TFC supporter group has over 500 members scattered throughout BMO Field, "though we tend to claim sections 111 and 112 as our 'home' (nicknamed 'The Bunker')," says Jack DePoe, spokesman for the group.

As for favourite players, "Whoever scored the latest goal is certainly a hero," DePoe says, "but if I had to pick a couple of players, I'd say Jimmy Brennan, who is our captain and who was RPB 'Man of the Year' in year one. Carl Robinson, the unsung hero who does all the dirty work and is our midfield general. He was our 'Man of the Year' last year. Of course I would also have to put Danny Dichio up there. In our short history he's given us quite a few defining moments, he's always got time for the fans and generally he's a great guy."

U-SECTOR

The granddaddy of all the supporter groups would have to be U-Sector. According to spokesperson, Ryan Keay, the group was started in 2001.

"We were a small group of people at (former USL First Division) Toronto Lynx games who wanted to support the team and improve the atmosphere at games," he says. "We kept it up, and the Lynx turned to a developmental squad at the time that TFC was announced. We've grown significantly."

U-Sector's player of the year list includes Jim Brennan (2007) and Greg Sutton (2008).

"And of course, everyone loves Danny Dichio," says Keay.

The group's members sit mostly in section 113, but many are scattered throughout the stadium. A sure way to tell you're sitting beside a U-Sector member is to listen to the chant.

"We're the ones who started the 'Qu'est-ce que vous chantez?' French chant," Keay says.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2009, 23:38
Ne oprastam
Legend

I expect a win tomorrow!

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2009, 23:47
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Pff, TFC fans are a bunch of low life wanabe hooligans. Case and point: those who went down to Columbus last week.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2009, 22:32
Ne oprastam
Legend

The minority is like that but I'm also not a big fan of these guys,it's kinda lame.

The team is a disappointment so far. Chad Barret sucks.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2009, 21:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto the rowdy
by Michael Grange
Globe and Mail, April 11, 2009

[excerpt]
Last Saturday, fans of the Toronto FC welcomed comedian Drew Carey - co-owner of the Seattle Sounders of Major League Soccer - to BMO Field with a beer shower. The week before, an estimated 2,000 TFC fans followed the team on the road to Columbus, Ohio, for the season opener. The game featured smoke bombs. Someone threw a broken banner railing over the edge. There were scattered fights and chest-thumping afterward. One Toronto fan was subdued by police with a taser.

And, as the attachment between Toronto fans and the National Football League's Buffalo Bulls deepens - the team now plays one "home" game a year at the Rogers Centre - police in Orchard Park, N.Y., can only smack their foreheads: A disproportionate number of arrests they make at true Bills home games are of drunk fans from Southern Ontario.

"Maybe things have changed," said Dustin Parkes, 28, a lifelong baseball aficionado, Rogers Centre regular and co-founder of the popular baseball blog titled - ironically, he insists - Drunk Jays Fans. "Maybe now people think the only way to enjoy a sporting event is to get plastered."

As a punishment for a series of liquor-related offences last season at the Rogers Centre, the stadium has to "go dry" for three events this year, the first of which was the Jays-Tigers game on Tuesday. Detroit outfielder Josh Anderson said, "That's good. These people can't handle it."

….

Mr. Parkes's premise is that, as Canadians are weaned on hockey, their tendency is to perk up at the game's big moments: fights, big hits or close plays, of which hockey provides plenty. Other sports, by comparison, don't have the same excitement level, so fans are tempted to make their own fun.

Certainly, Chris Gould of 2000 Tours, based in London, Ont., has taken thousands of football fans from Southern Ontario to Buffalo Bills games since he began running bus trips in 1999, and handfuls of his customers have been arrested. The story rarely changes: The bus arrives hours before kickoff, the tailgating begins and bad judgment soon follows. "I think it might be because Canadian laws are more conservative about open liquor," says Mr. Gould. "They get to Buffalo, the tailgate party starts and the cops are high-fiving you ...Canadians lose their minds."

On Nov. 30, 2008, the Bills hosted the San Francisco 49ers and Canadian fans accounted for nearly two-thirds of the 33 people arrested at the game, no small feat considering Canadians made up only 15 to 20 per cent of the crowd.

Nowhere is that habit more ingrained than in the fervent following that European soccer teams engender, where chants and loyalties are passed on through generations. The explosion in popularity of Toronto FC, the local entry in the MLS just beginning its third season, borrows from those traditions. Every game at BMO Field has been a sellout; the waiting list for season tickets stands at 14,000.

The home games are special, in part because of the 2,000 or so over-the-top supporters such as the Red Patch Boys, North End Elite and the U-Sector. They gather at bars near BMO Field and congregate at nearby Lamport Stadium to march en masse to the game. The chanting, singing and never-sit-down enthusiasm is part of the entertainment for the suburban soccer families that fill out the crowd.

But the line between fun and loutishness is a blurry one. "They do ride on the edge. There's no doubt," says Duane Rollins, a TFC season ticket holder and member of the U-Sector, whose blog, The 24th Minute, covers "the world game from a Canadian perspective."

"No one would ever argue that we're all angels...," says Mr. Rollins. "It's difficult to justify to someone raised on the more traditional North American fan experience. It's loud, it's crude, but that's the point. Six days a week I'm a normal guy, but for games your inner id comes out."
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2009, 20:24
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
Carver resigns as Toronto FC Coach!
tsn.ca

TORONTO - Head coach John Carver was absent from the Toronto FC sidelines last time out. On Saturday, he disappeared completely.

The MLS team announced Carver was leaving for personal reasons. "His resignation will take effect immediately," the club said in a seven-paragraph statement.

Toronto (2-2-2) said no further comment would be made until after Sunday's home game against Kansas City.

"I've got nothing to say," managing director of soccer Mo Johnston told The Canadian Press. "I'll make a statement after the game."

A source close to the club declined to detail Carver's reasons for leaving but confirmed it was for personal reasons. But those can cover a multitude of issues.

Bottom line? Carver's MLS ride was often a rollercoaster of emotion and he suddenly and unexpectedly decided to get off.

The blunt Englishman had raised eyebrows when he was not pitchside for Toronto's 1-0 win over Chivas on Wednesday and did not meet the media Friday.

In its statement, the team said assistant coaches Chris Cummins and Nick Dasovic will handle coaching duties Sunday and that a decision on the coaching position will be made early next week.

"The team is in great hands and I know they will all keep working towards our goal of reaching the playoffs," Carver said in the statement.

"I have worked with some top international players in my time, and we've got some here in Toronto, but this group is the best bunch of guys I've ever worked with. I also want to thank the fans, they are some of the best without a doubt and I hope they keep supporting this club for a long time to come."

No real explanation was ever given for Carver's decision to abandon the sidelines.

"John obviously has his reasons and I don't want to talk about it," Cummins told reporters after the Chivas game.

"He just wanted to sit upstairs," a club spokesman said in an e-mail the next day. "I would imagine he'll be talking about his decision at training (Friday)."

But it was Cummings who spoke to the media Friday, suggesting Carver might be similarly hidden from view Sunday.

Carver, 44, was respected by his players, who said they always knew where they stood with him.

"He's a players' manager," co-captain Jim Brennan,TFC's first-ever signing, said prior to kickoff this season. "He tells you how it is. The guys have got a great deal of respect for him. Since Day 1 when he came in here, he's had a plan and everybody is on board with it and everybody's heading in the right direction. It's great that the players have a manager that they want to play for. He's been a breath of fresh air."

Carver wore his heart on his sleeve and that sometimes left him at odds with referees and the league. He was fined US$750 by the league earlier this week for criticizing the ref who awarded a penalty to Dallas last weekend in a Toronto loss.

In March 2008, he was irate when he was featured in a DVD sent to game officials for his touchline behaviour in a previous game.

"I'm a very passionate guy and I love the game. And that's the way I am," he said at the time. "And apparently they don't want that in the MLS. They don't want passionate people. They don't want people who care for the game and wear their heart on the sleeve."

"They want me to sit down on the chair, in the dugout with my arms folded, my legs crossed and just be a nice little boy and get a suntan," he continued. "Well, no. If that's what they want to get, I'll get on a plane and fly home again."

After opening the 2009 season on the road with a win in Kansas City and tie in Columbus, Carver was pained by a lacklustre performance in a 2-0 home loss to expansion Seattle. He was brutally honest in his post-match assessment, saying he could not think of a single player who deserved praise.

"We've had our backsides kicked. I've got no excuses, none whatever -- beaten by the better team. And now I've got to roll my sleeves up with them lot in there and put it right," he said.

His team tied and lost to Dallas next but rebounded to edge Chivas.

Carver was hired as head coach of Toronto FC on Feb. 1, 2008, taking over from Mo Johnston who was given a new title while having his front office duties expanded.

The team was 11-15-10 under Carver. But it opened the season with plenty of optimism, thanks to the addition of Canadian defender Adrian Serioux and star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and talented draft picks Stefan Frei and Sam Cronin,

"We would sincerely like to thank John for his work with Toronto FC during his time here," Johnston said in the statement. "We appreciate all his hard work in helping this team become more competitive, and we wish him all the best."

There were question about Carver's future when Alan Shearer, a close friend, took over as interim manager of Newcastle. Carver played and coached at the Magpies, but the issue faded away as Carver concentrated on his TFC duties.

Carver also played for Cardiff City, and coached at Leeds United and Luton Town.

At Newcastle, he was hired as director of the team's centre of excellence, moving on to become youth team coach, first team coach and then assistant manager under Sir Bobby Robson.

Following the firing of Robson in September 2004, Carver was caretaker manager for one game. He went on to become academy director before leaving Newcastle in 2005. Stints at Leeds and Luton followed before he came to Canada.

Inter Milan - 2010 Treble Winners

Selected Memories - Check out my Photography
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2009, 04:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoors View Post
"I'm a very passionate guy and I love the game. And that's the way I am," he said at the time. "And apparently they don't want that in the MLS. They don't want passionate people. They don't want people who care for the game and wear their heart on the sleeve."

"They want me to sit down on the chair, in the dugout with my arms folded, my legs crossed and just be a nice little boy and get a suntan," he continued. "Well, no. If that's what they want to get, I'll get on a plane and fly home again."
There's your reason right there.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2009, 18:30
Premier Player

Teams: Macedonia, Lazio, Valencia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
There's your reason right there.
The MLS and even F.C. dont know what they want. They want a europe link with the sport and fans. yet they dont want too much of it.
I wish the reason was something else. Like this I feel bad for him.

People that should be in Bardovci before they come back to xtratime
1. Parni Valjak
2. Mihajlovic
3. Ero
4. HajdukSplit
5. Benny
6. lili

MACEDONIA FOR THE MACEDONIANS!!!
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2009, 20:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

TFC in trouble on and off its detested pitch
by Lance Hornby, Sun Media
June 7, 2009

Troubles keep piling up for Toronto FC, on and off the field.

On top of its controversial handling of the Real Madrid exhibition match, which prompted hundreds of fans to protest yesterday before and after the game against the Los Angeles Galaxy, TFC lost its third game in a row, plus captain Jim Brennan to a twisted ankle, and there is some concern from the dressing room on management's direction the past week.

Ex-Red Edson Buddle scored the decisive goal in the Galaxy's 2-1 victory on a breakaway in the 77th minute, the second atrocious defensive play on the day that led to a goal. Toronto could manage just one tally despite an 11-4 advantage on shots on goal.

"Losing is a bad habit to get into and we gave up two soft goals," TFC coach Chris Cummins said.

An completely unmarked Alan Gordon had an easy one for L.A. in the sixth minute from an Eddie Lewis corner kick and after Danny Dichio finally headed in a disputed goal in the 64th, TFC defender Marco Velez misplayed the ball that Buddle buried.

Toronto has been outscored 6-1 in the three losses, including a 2-0 defeat to the supposedly inferior Vancouver Whitecaps of the USL that put it on the verge of elimination from the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

The return of sniper Amado Guevara and defender Marvell Wynne from international World Cup qualifying duty should help when TFC plays the New York Red Bulls on Saturday. But the loss yesterday and another testy post-game atmosphere has the club in damage control.

"There's always going to be changes when you're not winning," Dichio said. "But (improvement) is only going to come from us.

"The boys here in the change room are right behind the coach, we love playing for Chris, he talks straight to your face.

"I wouldn't say there are simmering problems in the room, but there's obviously some problems going on with the club that we can't deal with at the moment."

Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario spoke for many players this week when it was learned the club would be paying $250,000 to truck in grass for the Aug. 7 game against Real Madrid. Management seemed oblivious to cries from its own players to change the bouncy artificial turf at BMO Field for full-time Major League Soccer play.

Meanwhile, already upset that the game is not the international friendly due them in their season-ticket package, a group of fans led by the ardent Red Patch Boys were not in the south end seats making their customary din before the game.

After both teams were introduced along with the 2009 Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame class and Canada's 1986 World Cup team, the fans trickled back, unveiling a large black and white banner that read 4 Teams, 0 Titles, a shot at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.'s winless hockey, basketball and soccer properties.

TFC officials have said the cost of luring Real Madrid to a 20,000-seat stadium and the added expense of the grass meant they had to sell separate seats, plans of which will be unveiled tomorrow.

After losing to L.A., which was without Landon Donovan and David Beckham and had just one win coming in (1-9-1), TFC is 4-5-4, with one win in its past six MLS games.

Striker Chad Barrett has been hearing it from the fans and had a couple of chances to help his cause yesterday. Dichio's goal came after Barrett had hit the post, but the latter is stuck on two goals in 13 games.

Cummins said an ankle was bothering Barrett yesterday and he eventually was pulled with 10 minutes to play, with the coach hoping he can "turn the corner soon."

To satisfy its obligation to subscribers, TFC will play River Plate of Argentina on July 22.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2009, 15:33
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
Still can't believe the prices they're charging for the RM match. MLSE is a joke

Inter Milan - 2010 Treble Winners

Selected Memories - Check out my Photography
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2009, 22:31 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

What do you expect when they are paying $12 per seat just to put in real turf for the match? Not to mention the payday for the RM millionaires.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2009, 19:13
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
We're gonna kick your ass tonight.

p

sup
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in