Canada v. Jamaica, August 20, 2008 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2008, 18:24 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
Canada v. Jamaica, August 20, 2008

Message from Jeff:

Sorry, I made a mistake rearranging threads and this one now starts at post #2, below.

Last edited by Jeff; September 8th, 2008 at 02:21. Reason: correcting mistake in merging threads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2008, 22:39
Rising Star

Canada vs Jamaica August 20, 2008

Canada selects squad for Stage III match in Toronto
http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/medi...?Press_ID=3306

Canada’s men’s national team has called upon 18 players for its next match in the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers. The Canucks will have two days of training together before the 20 August match against Jamaica at BMO Field in Toronto.

Canada will play six matches against three teams in Stage III of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers. Three of those matches are in Canada: 20 August against Jamaica in Toronto (Ticketmaster.ca / 416.872.5000), 6 September against Honduras in Montréal (admission.com or 514.790.1245) and 15 October against Mexico in Edmonton (Ticketmaster.ca / 780.451.8000). Tickets to the Toronto and Montréal matches have been selling very well while details regarding the Edmonton on-sale date should be announced shortly.

Canada will also play Mexico on 10 September in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Honduras on 11 October (venue yet to be announced), and Jamaica on 19 November in Kingston, Jamaica. Canada needs to finish amongst the top-two teams in Group B to advance to CONCACAF Stage IV in 2009.

Canada’s 20 August roster features three new players that were unavailable in Stage II against Saint Vincent & the Grenadines (Canada won 3:0 in Kingstown and 4:1 in Montréal). Iain Hume of Brampton, ON, Daniel Imhof of Smithers, BC and Kevin McKenna of Calgary, BC have all been called for the 20 August match.

Hume is also one of four players that has switched teams during the European off-season. Hume transferred from Leicester City to Barnsley FC in the English Championship. The three other off-season moves were Patrice Bernier from FC Kaiserslautern (GER) to FC Nordsjælland (DEN), Ali Gerba from FC Ingolstadt (GER) to Milton Keynes Dons FC (ENG), and Paul Stalteri back from loan at Fulham FC (ENG) to Tottenham Hotspur (ENG).

Of note from the four team competing in CONCACAF’s Stage III Group B (Canada, Jamaica, Honduas, Mexico), Ali Gerba is tied for second with four goals after two matches. Jamaica’s Luton Shelton leads the group with five goals (Stage II against Bahamas) while Mexico’s Jared Borgetti is tied at second with four goals (Stage II against Belize).

With nine goals in his international career, Gerba is now tied with teammates McKenna and Tomasz Radzinski for eighth on the all-time Canadian list. Dwayne De Rosario, who scored twice against Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, is fourth on the Canadian list with 15 goals, four back of the all-time leader and current head coach Mitchell (19).

As for appearances, Paul Stalteri is the most-experienced player, having most recently tied Lyndon Hooper with 67 caps for third place on the all-time list. He trails Mark Watson (78) and Randy Samuel (82). Elder statesman Pat Onstad (40 years young) is just one cap shy from tying Craig Forrest (56) for most appearances by a Canadian goalkeeper. Onstad does have the edge, though, with 21 career shutouts.

Goalkeeper Greg Sutton has the fewest caps of any player (11) while Issey Nakajima-Farran, who scored Canada’s first goal against Saint Vincent & the Grenadines in Kingstown, has the fewest caps of any outfield player (15). Nakajima-Farran is also the youngest player on the team at 24 years of age, about half a year younger than Iain Hume.

The 20 August match kicks off at 19.30 ET at BMO Field in downtown Toronto. It will be the 10th FIFA World Cup Qualifiers™ match ever played in Toronto, but the first at BMO Field. To date, Canada has a record of four wins, three draws and two losses in those matches.

1 | Greg Sutton | G | Hamilton, ON | CAN / Toronto FC
2 | Daniel Imhof | D/M | Smithers, BC | GER / VfL Bochum
3 | Mike Klukowski | D | Oshawa, ON | BEL / Club Brugge KV
4 | Kevin McKenna | D | Calgary, AB | GER / 1. FC Köln
5 | Adrian Serioux | D/M| Scarborough, ON | USA / FC Dallas
6 | Julian de Guzman | M | Scarborough, ON | ESP / Deportivo La Coruna
7 | Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Tottenham Hotspur
8 | Jim Brennan | D | East York, ON | CAN / Toronto FC
9 | Tomasz Radzinski | M/F | Toronto, ON | GRE / Skoda Xanthi
10 | Ali Gerba | F | Montréal, QC | ENG / Milton Keynes Dons FC
11 | Richard Hastings | D | Vancouver, BC | SCO / Inverness CT
12 | Issey Nakajima-Farran | M | Calgary, AB | DEN / FC Nordsjælland
13 | Atiba Hutchinson | M | Brampton, ON | DEN / F.C. København
14 | Dwayne De Rosario | M/F | Scarborough, ON | USA / Houston Dynamo
15 | Patrice Bernier | M | Brossard, QC | DEN / FC Nordsjælland
16 | Rob Friend | F | Kelowna, BC | GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach
17 | Iain Hume | F | Brampton, ON | ENG / Barnsley FC
18 | Pat Onstad | G | Vancouver, BC | USA / Houston Dynamo

Head of delegation: Victor Montagliani
Head Coach: Dale Mitchell
Assistant Coach: Stephen Hart
Assistant Coach: Nick Dasovic
Video co-ordinator: Vic Mendes
Goalkeeper coach: Paul Dolan
Manager: Morgan Quarry
Equipment manager: Mike Moretto
Physiotherapist: Eddie Cannon
Physiotherapist: Ted Tilbury
Doctor: Dr. Michael Campbell
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2008, 03:40
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Pretty easy to predict Mitchell's starting 4-4-2 with those players.

--------------------Onstad
Stalteri-------Hastings--McKenna-------Klukowski
De Rosario--de Guzman--Hutchison--Nakajima-Farran
-----------------------------Radzinski
--------------------Friend

Prove me wrong!

That said, I'm still not sold on the defence or goalkeeping. Hastings and McKenna just dont fill me with confidence while Onstad is turning 41 this year. Furthermore I'm not to fond of Nakajima-Farran starting as he is a little suspect on the left. However this line up should get the job done against Jamaica, especially at home.

Sports Net East will be showing the game on tape delay at 11 pm...

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2008, 16:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I'll be at the game, and I must say it's disappointing the number of fellow TFC season ticket holders I've been in contact with who have no interest in going to this game. Disappointing to say the least.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2008, 20:17
Rising Star

Well somebody's going. All the TFC supporter groups are uniting with the Voyageurs to get behind Canada. The game is almost a sellout (will be) and they figure 80% pro Canada fans judging by the sections that were set aside.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2008, 20:25
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannisAEK View Post
Pretty easy to predict Mitchell's starting 4-4-2 with those players.

--------------------Onstad
Stalteri-------Hastings--McKenna-------Klukowski
De Rosario--de Guzman--Hutchison--Nakajima-Farran
-----------------------------Radzinski
--------------------Friend

Prove me wrong!

That said, I'm still not sold on the defence or goalkeeping. Hastings and McKenna just dont fill me with confidence while Onstad is turning 41 this year. Furthermore I'm not to fond of Nakajima-Farran starting as he is a little suspect on the left.
Onstad's age has nothing to do with it. Zoff, Shilton, Jennings played in their 40s and Onstad is the best we have at this moment.

I wouldn't count on McKenna starting and Hastings and INF have been fine.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2008, 04:56
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Sutton has had a good season with TFC.

I'll be there and I know a few other season tickets holders coming, but it's true some dont care.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2008, 04:59
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Is it surpising that Jaime Peters & Tam Nsaliwa(sorry that spelling could be way off) were not called up?

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2008, 05:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian50 View Post
Is it surpising that Jaime Peters & Tam Nsaliwa(sorry that spelling could be way off) were not called up?
It is not surprising at all that Peters was not called up. He was most recently a member of the national program's youth teams, although he does have several caps for the full team. The truth is he is far from ready yet, and players like DeRo, Radz, Izzy, etc. are no doubt well ahead of him.

As for Nsaliwa, he denounced his Canadian citizenship to receive a German citizenship quicker(even though he'd been there for 6 years) in order to not take up a non-EU spot. I am of the understanding that he is now ineligible for international football, as he is capped by Canada and can't play for Germany(yeah I know), and he doesn't have a Canadian citizenship to play for our NT. I believe he is trying to fight this, but who knows. More stupidity.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2008, 04:52
Premier Player

Concerning N'Saliwa, Joshua has hit the nail on the head. He can't play for Canada because he gave up his Canadian citizenship for a German passport (to not count as a foreigner within EU member nations). N'Saliwa can easily gain his citizenship back, however he would have to renounce either his Malawan or German passports as being a triple citizen is illegal. From what I understand the CSA are lobbying the Feds to overlook this. Anyway, he has been very poor for AEK during the preseason and has been bumped down to 5fth string CM/DM (with a loan possible). However, our midfield would be a lot stronger with him there.

AEKara OMADARA!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2008, 05:47
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Rogers Sportsnet says they will be airing the match Wednesday, August 20 at 7:30 p.m. ET/5:30 p.m. MT/4:30 p.m. PT, live on Sportsnet West and Pacific only.

The match will also air in tape-delay on Sportsnet East and Ontario at 11 p.m. ET, on Sportsnet West at 11 p.m. MT and on Sportsnet Pacific at 8 p.m. PT.

Update: Sportsnet.ca will stream the match live on their website. The online stream will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2008, 00:26
Rising Star

Gerry Dobson Archive

Bring it on
Monday, August 18, 2008
Gerry Dobson Archive

It is with great anticipation that we await the kickoff at BMO Field between Canada and Jamaica Wednesday night.

It is Canada's first real qualifier for the 2010 World Cup after dispatching minnows St. Vincent and the Grenadines in June as expected. Canada's squad is arguably the best team we have ever had, although you may prefer the 1986 team that made it to the World Cup. It will be played before a sellout crowd at BMO Field, most of whom we think will be cheering for the home side. And finally, it comes at a time when the sport has never enjoyed a higher profile. Canada trained at BMO Field Monday morning.

One piece of bad news. Midfielder Issey Nakajima-Farran did not make the trip after picking up an achilles injury in a weekend match for his Danish club FC Nordsjaelland. Word is, however, that it's not too serious. Striker Rob Friend and midfielders Atiba Hutchinson and Patrice Bernier were still making their way in from their European bases. It should be noted they're doing it in comfort as the CSA is now flying all European-based players back to North America in business class. See? The CSA does not do everything wrong.

In fact, under the leadership of General Secretary Peter Montopoli, they're attempting to correct past wrongs and do whatever it takes to get this team to the World Cup. There are other important initiatives unfolding behind closed doors that will help even more.

The CSA could probably help themselves a bit however by taking a proactive role in stopping misinformation from getting out there, and being more available to see that reported stories are accurate. But that is a topic of discussion for another day.

The bottom line is, the first two World Cup qualifiers in Toronto and Montreal will be sellouts. That hasn't happened in a generation. But it will not be easy. Head Coach Dale Mitchell mused that it will probably take 10 points out of a possible 18 from six matches to get through. That means win all your home matches and nick at least one draw away. And even that might not be enough. But there's no getting around one basic truth. Lose to Jamaica and the chances of getting through to the next round are slim. The team is ready. The hard core supporters are ready with a parade through the CNE grounds to the stadium to rev things up. The Voyageurs who have teamed up with the various TFC groups have done their part to ensure a 12th man atmosphere. We're ready. Live on Sportsnet West and Pacific channels, 7:30 Wednesday evening. Bring it on.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2008, 02:32
Forum Manager
Star Player

Canada starts off the Group of Death by digging themselves a hole. This is not even close to the kind of play that is necessary if we are to qualify for the WC.

As Julian de Guzman said a couple of days ago, "It's now or never...If we can't (qualify for the World Cup) now, we're never going to get it done."

I fear he is correct.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2008, 13:04
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I'd like to know why we chose to pin Radz and DeRo to the flanks with little freedom to support Friend all alone up front. It was a hopeless, long ball session that saw Rob being covered by 3 or 4 Jamaicans at a time. Silly tactics.

Anyways, would've been a 1-0 if Onstad didn't screw up that corner kick so bad. He got caught cheating the near post. Big mistake for such a veteran keeper on a big stage like that.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2008, 16:38
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
Anyways, would've been a 1-0 if Onstad didn't screw up that corner kick so bad.
Not necessarily true.

After that goal, Jamaica played for a draw. Without the goal, they would have been pressing for the equalizer. It would have been a totally different second half, and I believe Jamaica would eventually have scored anyway.

Canada can't expect to qualify for the WC if they have to win every game 1-0. They need more scoring power.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2008, 17:07
Premier Player

Really dissapointed in Onstad, that was an amature goal...

AEKara OMADARA!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:41
Forum Manager
Star Player

For the record, the score was Canada 1 - 1 Jamaica.

Meanwhile, Mexico beat Honduras 2-1. A draw would have been nicer.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:04
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
As Julian de Guzman said a couple of days ago, "It's now or never...If we can't (qualify for the World Cup) now, we're never going to get it done."

I fear he is correct.
Let's not all jump out the window just yet. Lots of games to play and while the first result wasn't the best, it wasn't the worst. If we are able to beat Honduras, who are our main threat in the group, they will be the ones in a hole.

As for not ever qualifying we have more youth players playing at a higher level than ever before and getting better all the time. I think JDG was speaking about the core group of players we have right now not getting it done.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2008, 22:38
Forum Manager
Star Player

What makes Honduras our "main threat" in the group? Mexico isn't exactly chopped liver and Jamaica just served notice that they aren't ready to roll over. Seems to me we have three main threats in this group. If we hope to get out of the group round we have to finish in front of two other teams. Plus we have the refereeing to contend with.

I predict those two points we dropped in a match that we should have won will end up costing us yet another chance at qualifying for the World Cup.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2008, 22:53
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
What makes Honduras our "main threat" in the group? Mexico isn't exactly chopped liver and Jamaica just served notice that they aren't ready to roll over. Seems to me we have three main threats in this group. If we hope to get out of the group round we have to finish in front of two other teams. Plus we have the refereeing to contend with.

I predict those two points we dropped in a match that we should have won will end up costing us yet another chance at qualifying for the World Cup.
It seems like you want to give up after one game. That was not a good Jamaican team and we choked. Time to move on. Mexico is likely the best team in the group which makes our main competition for spot number two, Honduras.

Jamaica will not contend with that team and if we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot and beat Honduras, all will be well in the world again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in