Canada vs Honduras Sept. 6 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2008, 04:35 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada vs Honduras Sept. 6

Twenty-two players selected for week in Montréal

Canada has called upon 22 players for its next match in the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers. The Canucks will have a full week together before the 6 September match against Honduras at Stade Saputo in Montréal.

Canada is playing six matches against three teams in Stage III of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers. Three of those matches are in Canada: 20 August against Jamaica in Toronto (a 1:1 draw), 6 September against Honduras in Montréal (admission.com or 514.790.1245) and 15 October against Mexico in Edmonton (Ticketmaster.ca / 780.451.8000).

Canada will also play Mexico on 10 September in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Honduras on 11 October (venue yet to be announced), and Jamaica on 19 November in Kingston, Jamaica. Canada needs to finish amongst the top-two teams in Group B to advance to CONCACAF Stage IV in 2009.

CANADA
Lars Hirschfeld G Edmonton, AB ROM / CFR Cluj
Pat Onstad G Vancouver, BC USA / Houston Dynamo
Greg Sutton G Hamilton, ON CAN / Toronto FC
Patrice Bernier M Brossard, QC DEN / FC Nordsjælland
Jim Brennan D East York, ON CAN / Toronto FC
Julian de Guzman M Scarborough, ON ESP / Deportivo La Coruna
Dwayne De Rosario M/F Scarborough, ON USA / Houston Dynamo
Rob Friend F Kelowna, BC GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach
Ali Gerba F Montréal, QC ENG / Milton Keynes Dons FC
Richard Hastings D Vancouver, BC SCO / Inverness CT
Iain Hume F Brampton, ON ENG / Barnsley FC
Atiba Hutchinson M Brampton, ON DEN / F.C. København
Daniel Imhof D/M Smithers, BC GER / VfL Bochum
Dejan Jakovic D Etobicoke, ON CRO / Red Star Belgrade
Ante Jazic D Bedford, NS USA / Los Angeles Galaxy
Mike Klukowski D Oshawa, ON BEL / Club Brugge KV
Kevin McKenna D Calgary, AB GER / 1. FC Köln
Issey Nakajima-Farran M Calgary, AB DEN / FC Nordsjælland
Olivier Occean F Brossard, QC NOR / Lillestrøm S.K.
Tomasz Radzinski M/F Toronto, ON GRE / Skoda Xanthi
Adrian Serioux D/M Scarborough, ON USA / FC Dallas
Paul Stalteri D/M Brampton, ON ENG / Tottenham Hotspur

Head of delegation: Victor Montagliani
Head Coach: Dale Mitchell
Assistant Coach: Stephen Hart
Assistant Coach: Nick Dasovic
Video co-ordinator: Vic Mendes
Goalkeeper coach: Paul Dolan
Manager: Morgan Quarry
Equipment manager: Mike Moretto
Physiotherapist: Ted Tilbury
Physiotherapist: Garret Kusch
Doctor: Dr. Michael Campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2008, 06:35
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
TFC midfielder and former Major League Soccer MVP Amado Guevara will start for Honduras, as will David Suazo, an Inter Milan striker currently on loan to Benfica. Suazo has 14 goals in 39 games with the national team.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 06:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

What's going on with TV coverage?

Let's hope the crowd makes it as much of a home crowd as we did at BMO.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 15:26
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Sportsnet will be showing the game. Anything but a win is unacceptable.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 15:47
IVO
International
World Class Player

I can't believe the third game is in Edmonton.

Hopefully De Guzman gets more room to play, the Jamaicans marked him pretty tight. If it doesn't come through him it probably won't happen.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 22:52
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO View Post
I can't believe the third game is in Edmonton.
Why is that so hard to believe?

Edmonton is a perfect soccer venue, and WC qualifiers have always been well attended there.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 23:39
Forum Manager
Star Player

I knew Canada was in big trouble when I read today’s Toronto Star:
Quote:
But on the eve of Canada's second match in the group stage of qualifying, to be played at Stade Saputo in Montreal, head coach Dale Mitchell said it's still too early to draw any conclusions about Canada's chances to advance.

Mitchell emphasized that he would love a win against a tough Honduran team, but with five games remaining over the next two months, he said Canada can stay alive if they manage not to lose tonight.

"There is an urgency to get the three points but we have to make sure we go into the game in a relaxed but focused mode," Mitchell said on a media conference call yesterday.

"We'd like to win ... (but) it's important not to lose. When you lose, not only do you get zero points, but the other teams get three points."

But that doesn't mean he wants his team to play timidly tonight.

The Canadians played to win last month in a qualifier against Jamaica, but settled for a draw when goalkeeper Pat Onstad fumbled a second half corner kick into the goal.

While Jamaican coach Rene Simoes told the media afterward that his game plan entailed laying back and playing for a draw, Mitchell said the Hondurans, who will field former Inter Milan striker David Suazo and TFC midfielder Amado Guevara, are too talented to strive for a single point.

"They'll come at us and look more for three points than our opponents in the last game," Mitchell said.

The Hondurans aren't just talented, but motivated.

Playing in a qualifying group that will yield no easy wins, Honduras has already suffered a tough 2-1 loss on the road against Mexico after leading most of the game.

Mitchell thinks it will take at least 10 points to snag one of the top two spots in the group and move to the next round of qualifying, and right now Honduras is the group's only pointless squad.

But again, Mitchell stresses that there are many games still to play.

"It's a mini league and you will be judged at the end of six games," he said.
Good grief!

What part of “must-win game” does Mitchell not understand?

Where does he think Canada is going to get those 10 points (at minimum) to qualify for the next round, with only five more games to play and only one point in hand?

“We’d like to win, but it’s important not to lose”??? These are the words of a loser.

“Too early to draw any conclusions about Canada’s chances to advance”??? Here’s an early news flash for Dale Mitchell: There is no way in hell that Canada is going to advance if we don’t win tonight.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2008, 02:59
Forum Manager
Star Player

Canada 1-2 Honduras

I don't think it's unreasonable to predict that Canada will finish in last place in Group B, with 2 points.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2008, 19:16
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
*sigh*

\/\/
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2008, 06:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Same shit, different smell.

So optimistic after Adrien's goal, then we fell apart and looked clueless in the final third.

It's really hard to keep believing that we're developing and getting better.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 01:13 Thread Starter
Rising Star

What is it in the Canadian soccer fan that after two games is ready to quit? I'm glad you guys weren't around in September 72 when things looked a hell of a lot worse than this, on a much bigger stage, with much more to lose.

Full marks to Honduras for the win, but if they can win here we can win there. Seems to me the last time we played them in Honduras we played pretty well.

Not trying to be a Pollyanna but I'm sure as hell not gonna quit after two games, because if they can come back to win, some people are going to look pretty stupid.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 03:08
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy View Post
I'm glad you guys weren't around in September 72 when things looked a hell of a lot worse than this, on a much bigger stage, with much more to lose.
I was around in September 72. Canada lost home and away to Mexico and failed to advance from the group round. What's your point?
Quote:
Full marks to Honduras for the win, but if they can win here we can win there.
Do you have any idea how illogical that is?
Quote:
Seems to me the last time we played them in Honduras we played pretty well.
Yes, we drew 1-1 in Honduras four years ago. We didn't qualify that year, either.
Quote:
Not trying to be a Pollyanna but I'm sure as hell not gonna quit after two games, because if they can come back to win, some people are going to look pretty stupid.
Right now the only people looking "pretty stupid" are the ones who said Canada was good enough to qualify for the WC this time out.

Canada needs to win three of the next four games to have a hope of qualifying. At least two of those wins have to come on the road, and at least one of them has to be against Mexico, either home or away. And, if recent form is any indication, those three wins will have to be 1-0 scores.

This is not a Disney movie. It is real life.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 09:25 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Uhhh Canada-Russia 72.

Are you saying we can't win in Honduras? If my statement was illogical yours is the mirror image. Seeing as the last time we played there Benito Archundia stole the game from us (twice) in the final minutes, I think we can win there. We played crappy in Mtl but were not dominated, that gives me hope.

If you want to quit already why do you follow/support?? Canada. Surely there are far easier and less heartbreaking teams to cheer for.

You can't tell me they are not capable of going on a winning streak with the teams in their group. Will they? Neither you nor I know. I know Mexico outside of the unfairness that is Azteca are beatable.

The problem with the team as I posted months ago and now I'm seeing people agreeing with is that the team lacks heart and player leadership. If they get some in Mexico it's a whole new ball game, if they don't, it won't look so good.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 22:23
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
The best, deepest, most talented men's national soccer team in Canada has but one point to show for home matches against Jamaica and Honduras in World Cup qualifying. Barring a compete revival and some astonishing road form, the dream is dying for another four interminable years.
Ben Knight

Quote:
It's over.

Canada's hopes of qualifying for South Africa 2010 disappeared in the span of about ten minutes with two costly giveaways handing Honduras a 2-1 come from behind win on a horrible, cut up pitch in front of a hostile crowd that brayed with delight as Honduras ran out with the full three points after they had showed promise but ultimately failed in Mexico in their first match.
Bill

Quote:
And in quick succession they threw two points to Jamaica in Toronto and three more to Honduras in Montreal on Saturday night, meaning the Mexico result should signify the unofficial end of this country's trip to South Africa 2010. The Canadians produced one point for the disappointing 1-1 tie with Jamaica. One lousy point from two home games won't get it done for anybody.
Dan Barnes

Ben, Bill, Dan, and I are all going to look pretty foolish after Canada pulls off the soccer miracle of the century...:rollani:
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 23:10
International

What is the thing with Canada in the world cup qualifiers? You got such a fantastic infrastructure, a sports-mad population, soccer being increasingly popular especially in the big cities, ... But while in the Gold Cup you get very decent results there is very little progress in the WC. I find it so weird that a nation as good in sports as Canada always struggles in the WC, is it just that the Gold Cup is rated as more important by the local FA?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2008, 03:45
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Ben Knight

Bill

Dan Barnes

Ben, Bill, Dan, and I are all going to look pretty foolish after Canada pulls off the soccer miracle of the century...:rollani:
I truly hope they pull off a miracle.

AEKara OMADARA!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2008, 03:57
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures View Post
What is the thing with Canada in the world cup qualifiers? You got such a fantastic infrastructure, a sports-mad population, soccer being increasingly popular especially in the big cities, ... But while in the Gold Cup you get very decent results there is very little progress in the WC. I find it so weird that a nation as good in sports as Canada always struggles in the WC, is it just that the Gold Cup is rated as more important by the local FA?
Simply put, Canada lack good DMs, CBs, and GKing. Jamaica's goal was a mistake by Onstad, while Honduras' goals were both from really bad defending. Last year's Gold Cup was an abbaration to the norm.

AEKara OMADARA!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2008, 06:01
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannisAEK View Post
Simply put, Canada lack good DMs, CBs, and GKing. Jamaica's goal was a mistake by Onstad, while Honduras' goals were both from really bad defending. Last year's Gold Cup was an abbaration to the norm.
You forgot to mention that we can't seem to score more than one goal per game against quality opposition, and our coaching sucks.

Then there's the totally dysfunctional Canadian Soccer Association...
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2008, 14:14
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures View Post
The coaching. The coaching is beyond awful. And I don't mean at the NT level.. But at the deep roots level. The mindframe and style of Canadian football will never lead to success unless there is a complete revolution in coaching infrastructure.

That talent is there, but they aren't groomed right.

EDIT: And apart from hockey, I would say we are behind the rest of the World in many sports.

sup
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2008, 14:33
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
We lost 2-1 to Mexico.

And I'm pretty sure that's all she wrote, folks.

Inter Milan - 2010 Treble Winners

Selected Memories - Check out my Photography

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in