Canada in the 2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2008, 18:24 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
Canada in the 2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League

28.1.08 - CONCACAF announced today the official launch of the new continental club championship, the CONCACAF Champions League which will commence in August 2008. The CONCACAF Champions League will replace the Champions’ Cup which will cease to exist after the 2008 edition.

The CONCACAF Champions League will see a Confederation record number of 24 teams from all sectors of the CONCACAF region participating. The preliminary round begins in August 2008 with the first CONCACAF Champions League winner to be crowned in late April 2009.

The CONCACAF Champions League will feature four teams from Mexico and USA; three Caribbean sides; two clubs each from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama; and one representative coming from Canada, Belize, and Nicaragua.

Eight clubs (two Mexican, two USA, one each from Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador) will be seeded and progress directly to the first round of the CONCACAF Champions League, while the Caribbean slots have been increased to three teams for this event.

The remaining 16 teams will be paired in eight home-and-away preliminary match-ups taking place from 26-28 August and 2-4 September.

The preliminary round winners will join the other eight seeded teams in the group stage that consists of four groups of four. All the teams in each group will play each other in a round-robin system during six match dates (three home games, three away games) from 16 September – 30 October.

The top two clubs from each group will advance to the knock out phase playing home-and-away elimination. The quarterfinals commence in February 2009; semifinals begin in March; and the Finals will take place in late April.

The CONCACAF Champions League winner will qualify as the CONCACAF’s representative to the 2009 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup.

2008-09 CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Calendar of Events
End July: All qualification completed, draw for preliminary round
26-28 August: Preliminary Round, First-legs
2-4 September: Preliminary Round, Second-legs
Early September: Group Stage Schedule Announced
16-18 September: Group Stage – Match Day 1
23-25 September: Group Stage – Match Day 2
30 September – 2 October: Group Stage – Match Day 3
7-9 October: Group Stage – Match Day 4
21-23 October: Group Stage – Match Day 5
28-30 October: Group Stage – Match Day 6

24-26 February: Quarterfinals, First-legs
3-5 March: Quarterfinals, Second-legs
17-19 March: Semifinals, First-legs
7-9 April: Semifinals, Second-legs
21-23 April: Final, First-leg
28-30 April: Final, Second-leg
December: FIFA Club World Cup

Photos by Hugo Munoz
#1 - Jack Warner, CONCACAF President
#2 - Chuck Blazer, CONCACAF General Secretary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2008, 18:25 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
Canadian Soccer on its way to qualifying for Fifa

Whitecaps, FC, and Impact are now eligible to join the CONCACAF Champions League
Dan Stinson, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, January 28, 2008
Three Canadian men’s soccer teams — the Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact — will participate in qualifying games for the CONCACAF club championship tournament for the first time this year, CONCACAF officials announced Monday in New York.

The announcement coincided with the launch of the CONCACAF Champions League, a new continental club championship tournament that will start in August and replaces the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup tournament.

Three Canadian soccer teams - the Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact — are now eligible to compete in the COCONCACAF Champions League, itself a qualifier for FIFA. The format on how Canada’s representative will be decided has not yet been finalized, but Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi suggested it might be a round-robin, home-and-away series.

CONCACAF is an acronym for the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Football Associations. The Champions League will see a confederation record number of 24 teams from all sectors of the region participating.

The preliminary round starts in August, and the first CONCACAF Champions League winner will be crowned in late April 2009. Until this year, Canadian teams have not been invited to participate in a CONCACAF club tournament.

The new format will feature four teams from Mexico and U.S., three Caribbean sides, two clubs each from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Panama, and one representative from Canada, Belize and Nicaragua.

The format on how Canada’s representative will be decided has not yet been finalized, but Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi suggested it might be a round-robin, home-and-away series.

The Whitecaps and Impact play in the United Soccer Leagues First Division, and Toronto FC plays in Major League Soccer.

“The qualifying games [between the Canadian teams] would have to be in the earlier part of the season,” said Lenarduzzi.

“We would have to have the games concluded by early July considering the preliminary round of the tournament starts in August. This is an exciting development for Canada.”

Eight teams — two from Mexico, two from the U.S., and one from Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador — will be seeded and progress directly to the first round of the CONCACAF Champions League. The remaining 16 teams will be paired in eight home-and-away preliminary match-ups taking place from Aug. 26-28 and Sept. 2-4.

The CONCACAF Champions League winner will qualify as the zone representative in the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2008, 19:36
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Qualifying schedule and Results:
(home team listed first)

Tuesday 27 May: Impact de Montréal 0-1 Toronto FC
Tuesday 17 June: Impact de Montréal 2-0 Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Wednesday 25 June: Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0-2 Impact de Montréal
Tuesday 1 July: Toronto FC 0-1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Wednesday 9 July: Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-2 Toronto FC
Tuesday 22 July: Toronto FC 1-1 Impact de Montréal

Last edited by Jeff; July 23rd, 2008 at 02:00.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2008, 22:38
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC blanks Impact
Favoured side wins first game of Canadian championship
by Pat Hickey, Canwest News Service
Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MONTREAL - Toronto FC coach John Carver said he wasn't surprised that the Montreal Impact gave his team all they could handle in the opening game of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

"I wasn't surprised," Carver said after his team escaped with a 1-0 victory before a crowd of 12,083 at Saputo Stadium last night. "I watched some tapes of this team before this game and I was impressed by what I saw."

On paper, Toronto FC was favoured because it plays in MLS, the No. 1 professional league in North America, while the Impact plays in the United Soccer League's First Division, which is one step below on the soccer food chain.

But, said Carver, there's little to choose between the two leagues.

"They're actually very close in calibre and our opponents came out very strong," said Carver. "I think it was a very even game until the ejection."

That came at the 53rd minute when defender Stefano Pelosi was sent off after he collected his second yellow card.

"Obviously, that hurt us," said Impact coach Nick De Santis. "We already had to make adjustments and we're using Pat Leduc in the back."

The Impact has been playing most of the season without first-line defenders Gabriel Gervais and Nevio Pizzolitto because of injury, and Cedric Joqueviel missed last night's game because of an ankle problem.

The margin of victory was provided by Marco Velez, who scored on a header off a free kick by Laurent Robert in the 72nd minute. There was a bit of irony there because Velez was playing for the USL Puerto Rico Islanders last year.

"He had a bit of a slow start for us, but he's been playing very well lately," said Carver.

The game was the opener of the national championship, a double round-robin among the Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps. The winner will represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League which brings together the top club teams in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"It's a competition all three teams want to win and you saw the determination out there tonight," said Carver. "You saw both teams play their best lineups."

In fact, Carver went as far as asking the Canadian national team if his squad could keep goalkeeper Greg Sutton for the game. Sutton, who made three saves for the shutout, will join the national team for a weekend match in Seattle.

The Impact had the best chances in the first half, but its inability to finish contributed to its failure to score for the fourth consecutive game.

Rocco Placentino, who rejoined the Impact last week after five seasons in Italy, had three chances, but fired wide on each of them.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2008, 03:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I watched the whole game, and boy oh boy did TFC play poor. Harmse continues to be a red card waiting to happen, and the right side of Ricketts and Wynne are dribbling over top of each other. No brain on that side of the field at all. Dichio's injury is going to hurt as well. Cunningham and Lombado cannot do the job, and Smith's a winger by nature.

Anyhow, good to start off with an away win and put the right foot forward on our march to "Europe." p

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 15:57
Forum Manager
Star Player

CBC is covering the Canadian national championship on its digital channel "bold" [formerly known by the only-slightly-less-stupid name of "CBC Country Canada"], the regular CBC network, and on CBCSports.ca:

Wednesday, June 25 - Montreal Impact at Vancouver Whitecaps (8 p.m. PT/11 p.m. ET, bold and CBCSports.ca)

Tuesday, July 1 - Vancouver Whitecaps at Toronto FC (4 p.m. ET, CBC, CBCSports.ca

Tuesday, July 22 - Montreal Whitecaps at Toronto FC (7 p.m. ET, bold and CBCSports.ca; also live on Telelatino in Italian commentary; also on tape delay at midnight on CBC-TV in some markets)

Last edited by Jeff; July 21st, 2008 at 15:44.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 16:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Jeff, I had read that while only those games will be on TV(CBC Bold live, then CBC normal on delay), CBC's website would be showing ALL of the games. Can you confirm this or deny it at all?

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 16:25
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
They might, but the video quality is horrible for the hockey games so I cant imagine its very good for these matches.

Lets go Whitecaps!

\/\/
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 16:28
Forum Manager
Star Player

Joshua:

I can't really. The CBC website doesn't seem to confirm your info, but it does seem reasonable that if they don't have another live sporting event to stream online they would show the game on the web.

I'm hoping further info will be forthcoming.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2008, 03:11
Forum Manager
Star Player

The Canadian Champion will play a two-leg series against the Nicaraguan Champion (TBA) on August 27 and September 2. The winner of that series will be placed in Group C for the next round, together with:

Atlante FC of Mexico
Either CD Olímpia or CD Marathon of Honduras
and
Either Joe Public FC of Trinidad or New England Revolution

Group C matches will take place in September and October.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 15:29
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
Jeff, I had read that while only those games will be on TV (CBC Bold live, then CBC normal on delay), CBC's website would be showing ALL of the games. Can you confirm this or deny it at all?
The broadcast situation is getting very confusing and discouraging! :depress:

July 1: Toronto FC v. Vancouver Whitecaps

This match will be broadcast live on CBC TV and on the web at CBCsports.ca.

The question is, what time? I think it's 4 p.m., because I swear I heard Nigel Reed say that on June 25 when Montreal were playing at Vancouver. The schedule posted at CBCsports.ca (under the heading "What's On" also says 4 p.m.; however, the CBC says elsewhere it's at 3 p.m., and so does this page at Telelatino.

I'm going with 4 p.m. until convinced otherwise. I will check the Toronto Star TV guide tomorrow for another opinion.

Update: Press release from Toronto FC says:

Kick-off is now scheduled for 4 p.m. ET – instead of the originally slated 3 p.m. start.

The change was made after a timing conflict on the Exhibition grounds with the CHIN Picnic Bicycle Race. Race organizers have offered to change their schedule to help accommodate Toronto FC fans gain easier access to the grounds on game day to avoid conflict.

CBC television will still carry the match live beginning at 4:00pm.

July 9: Vancouver Whitecaps v. Toronto FC

It appears that this match, in which Toronto FC may virtually clinch the Champions League spot for Canada, will not be broadcast at all!

Telelatino (link above), which is notoriously unreliable for factual information, says it will be webcast on CBCsports.ca live at 10 p.m. EDT, but CBCsports.ca doesn't have it listed on their schedule: it appears they will be covering the Calgary Stampede instead!

July 22: Toronto FC v. Montreal Impact

Telelatino (link above) says it will carry this match live at 7 p.m. EDT with Italian commentary. The only English-language coverage, it appears, will be on CBC-bold and webcast on CBCsports.ca (according to this site). Edited to add: It appears that CBC-TV will broadcast a tape delay of the match at midnight, EDT, but only in selected markets. Check your local listings.

Is it just me, or do the Canadian TV broadcasters just not give a damn about soccer?

Last edited by Jeff; July 21st, 2008 at 15:38.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2008, 16:34
Forum Manager
Star Player

National Post:
Quote:
The Toronto FC faithful at BMO Field are creative. Sometimes, they are even witty. Yesterday, they had their words shoved back in their mouths.

About halfway though TFC's Nutrilite Canadian Championship game against the Vancouver Whitecaps, the fans started to chant, "U-S-L, U-S-L." It was a reference to Whitecaps' league, USL First Division, which is a step below TFC's Major League Soccer.

Well, score one for the little guy. Vancouver, on the strength of a controversial penalty kick, earned a 1-0 win over TFC Tuesday, marking the first time TFC has lost at BMO Field all year.

"That's the way it looked to me today: That we could just go out there and go through the motions," an irate TFC coach John Carver said after the game. "Nobody is safe at this football club. Nobody is safe. They better realize that."
Controversial penalty kick? No way. It was a fair cop.

Globe and mail:
Quote:
Toronto looked lacklustre in the first half, with scoring chances limited to a few long-distance shots on goal that were easily handed by Vancouver goalkeeper Jay Nolly.

"The team I sent out in the first half didn't seem to have any energy and appeared lifeless - our fans deserved better than that," Toronto head coach John Carver said. "Vancouver was attacking us and closing players down, but for us, it looked like we thought we could just go out there and go through the motions.

"Nobody on the team is going to get away with an attitude like that. I'll cancel their contracts if necessary."

Carver said one fan was ejected by security for "having a go" at him after the final whistle and voicing his disapproval. Carver said the team deserved the abuse, and he will do anything in his power to make sure the fan isn't punished.
Canadian Press:
Quote:
In a wild rant, Toronto FC coach John Carver tore into himself, his players and the officials after his soccer team lost its first game at home this year against a lower-level Canadian foe on Tuesday.

Following a 1-0 loss against the Vancouver Whitecaps of the second-tier United Soccer Leagues in a chippy Nutrilite Canadian Championship game before a crowd of 18,938 at BMO Field, the coach of Canada's lone Major League Soccer team didn't mince words when asked about the Canada Day contest.

"I'll take full responsibility because I picked the team and I sent the team out there in the first (half)," said Carver, whose team gave up a goal on a controversial penalty kick by Martin Nash in the 37th minute and then failed to score on numerous top-notch chances in the second half. "The team that went out there in the first half didn't perform to the level I want . . . They couldn't pass the ball, there was no communication, there was nothing. It was lifeless, it was lacklustre. I'll take full responsibility for that because at halftime I (made three substitutions), and it was like night and day."
Toronto Sun:
Quote:
There were no Happy Canada Day wishes coming from a clearly steamed Toronto FC coach John Carver after his side suffered an excruciating 1-0 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps at BMO Field yesterday.

In fact, the TFC skipper called out the whole team for its first-half effort -- including his own roster decisions -- as the biggest factor in the team's first loss at home this season.

It also put pressure on TFC to win the next two games in the CONCACAF Canadian championship that will decide who will represent this country in the Champions League tournament in 2009.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2008, 00:33
Premier Player

Teams: Cro NT,Dinamo,Bayern Munich ,Rijeka
Just wondering why the defending CSL champion wasnt invited to this. Is it because they play in a Canadian League and not in a US one p
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2008, 16:04
Forum Manager
Star Player

So it comes down to Toronto v. Montreal on July 22. Toronto needs a win, and Montreal just needs a draw.

Is it time for Toronto FC to be relegated to the USL First Division?
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2008, 16:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Marshall and Velez were laughably bad yesterday, and Edu's "header" back to Sutton for the tieing goal was just embarassing. Cunningham was horrendous as well, but that's nothing new.

This team desperately needs stability at the back, and a legitimate goal scorer. With Dichio out, there is nothing up front as Cunningham is a headless chicken and Jarrod Smith is not a striker by nature. The CBs are so poor. Marshall and Velez can both play so well, then just have the biggest brainfarts and fall apart. Tebilly looks completely disinterested each time he's played; barely moves and barely runs. Only Julius James has looked good at CB.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2008, 17:57
Star Player

Teams: Juventus--Toronto FC
with the impact playing for a draw they're going to lineup 10 men behind the ball and make it increasingly difficult for the reds to put one past them. only comforting thought is we're playing in the fortress.

"Control Tevez and they literally become a mid-table side at best" - game_overroma
#yabuddy

VV la Prescrizione!
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 00:55
Forum Manager
Star Player

July 8, 2008 : CONCACAF sez:

Real Estelí of Nicaragua became the twenty-third and penultimate team to qualify for the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League™.

Real Estelí qualified by way of winning the Nicaraguan Clausura Championship with a 1:0 aggregate result over two legs against Walter Ferreti. Following a goalless first-leg at the Estadio Independencia, Elmer Mejía was the hero for Real Estelí scoring the crucial goal with just five minutes left in extra time of the second-leg.

The win, coupled with their victory in the Apertura Championship, means that Real Estelí qualify for the Champions League as the Nicaraguan representative (NCA1). They will play the winner of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship in the two-leg, home and away Preliminary Round encounter.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:00
Forum Manager
Star Player

And Montreal will represent Canada in the first CONCACAF Champions League, after a 1-1 draw with Toronto.

Montreal is one point out of last place in their division and they made fools out of an MLS team.

Vancouver did even better, with a win and a draw against Toronto.

Perhaps it's time we abandon the idea that there is a difference between the MLS and the USL First Division?
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:40
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
I abandoned much of that sort of thought a few years ago when the Whitecaps spanked Sunderland.

I was at the match tonight, was well played. A group of fans for the Impact did well to disrupt the night for a lot of TFC fans. Lots of songs and TFC fans had not much in response other than lame insults. It was quite funny at times.

\/\/
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Just got home from the game.

Absolutely embarassed.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in