The 2008 Toronto FC Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2007, 18:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
The 2008 Toronto FC Thread

The 2007 thread is here.

Let's post all further news, trades, and speculation about next season in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2007, 01:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Johnston set to revamp squad for '08
Toronto Star
October 27, 2007
by Cathal Kelly

Toronto FC manager Mo Johnston plans to begin a major overhaul of his squad beginning next week, when he will be delivering pink slips to several players.

"We'll do our exit physicals, sit down with the whole group and tell guys who's coming back and who isn't," said Johnston, whose return next season was confirmed by the club yesterday.

Johnston guided the expansion team to a 6-17-7 record and his contract will run through the 2009 season.

The expected clearout sets the table for a global scouting trip this winter. Johnston will visit Brazil, Holland, England and Argentina in an effort to fill a long shopping list.

"I think this team needs a No.10 (striker), a creative player, someone quick at the back, someone wide left, a backup goalkeeper, if not a No.1 goalkeeper, and then a couple of more players," Johnston said. "We'll get some from the draft and then we'll carry it from there. We're in good shape – we still have a lot of money to spend."Johnston has said that no one on his team is untouchable. But a core group of starters, including defenders Jim Brennan and Marvell Wynne, midfielders Maurice Edu, Carl Robinson and Ronnie O'Brien, as well as forward Danny Dichio, will doubtless return.

Everyone else is in varying degrees of danger. Johnston wouldn't name names, but said his choices wouldn't be hard to predict.

"I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see who hasn't played the major minutes," Johnston said. "But developmentally we need to get stronger. Our reserve team has to get better. We need a big-time striker."

Judging by the manager's demeanour, that player is not Savo Milosevic, 34, who recently worked out with the club.

"No one who's come in (to try out) has really over-impressed," Johnston said.

If the Golden Boot winner at Euro 2000 wants a job in Toronto, he'll have to return and impress in pre-season.

One problem that might soon be lifted off Johnston's head is the Canadian quota imposed by Major League Soccer. Currently, seven of TFC's senior squad must be Canadians. That's made recruitment difficult for the only Canadian MLS club, especially when gap-filling was required at mid-season because of injuries.

"There's ongoing talks. It'll be made known within the next month," Johnston said. "I think (MLS) will ... scale back on the Canadian side. ... Let's see what the future holds, but I'm positive."

Today, the team flies to Portland for a game with Portland Timbers on Sunday – a "bit of fun" that will feature some of the squad's younger players.

The winter break will end at the beginning of February, when the team heads to Bradenton, Fla., for pre-season preparation.

TFC is also in the final stages of sewing up a friendly tour of Dubai in March for a trio of exhibition games. Johnston said he's received offers to play pro clubs in England and China as well.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2007, 18:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC announced yesterday it had sold out the 16,000 season tickets at BMO Field for the 2008 season, the team's second in Major League Soccer.

That surpasses the 14,000 seats that were set aside for season-ticket holders in the team's inaugural campaign.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2007, 18:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Yup, they gave us season ticket holders first priority if we wanted more, so I got a third.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2007, 00:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

The MLS championship final will be on ABC TV Sunday at noon.

With Pat Onstad patrolling the Houston Dynamo net and Dwayne De Rosario leading the attack, Canadian soccer will be well-represented.

The defending champion Dynamo face the New England Revolution, in a rematch of last year's game.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 22:35 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

San Jose Earthquakes manager Frank Yallop picked up a fellow Canadian in the MLS expansion draft yesterday, selecting Toronto FC midfielder Chris Pozniak.

Yallop was permitted to choose a maximum of 10 players to help stock his roster for the inaugural season of the reborn Earthquakes.

Pozniak, a Toronto native, started in 16 of the 22 games he played for FC, finishing his rookie Major League Soccer season with three assists in 1,498 minutes. The 26-year-old was also a standout in the Toronto community, earning the team's 2007 humanitarian-of-the-year award.

-Canadian Press
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 22:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

TFC announced yesterday that it will again hold open tryouts, both for the senior team and the new Toronto FC Academy that will begin operating out of BMO Field early next year.

Tryouts will take place under the bubble at BMO Field Jan. 21 to 25.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 00:48
Star Player

Teams: Hrvatska, Hajduk Split, Toronto FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
TFC announced yesterday that it will again hold open tryouts, both for the senior team and the new Toronto FC Academy that will begin operating out of BMO Field early next year.

Tryouts will take place under the bubble at BMO Field Jan. 21 to 25.
I hope tryouts for the Youth Academy were free or at least cheap. What's the point if only middle and higer class kids get a chance?

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Three Toronto FC players will begin training with the senior U.S. men's national team tomorrow in preparation for a friendly on Jan. 19 against Sweden.

Defenders Marvell Wynne and Todd Dunivant and midfielder Maurice Edu will join 23 other players at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., for a training camp to prepare for the contest.

Another match against Mexico at Houston's Reliant Stadium follows on Feb. 6. There have been 30,000 tickets sold for that game.

- Globe and Mail, January 1, 2007
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2008, 21:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

TORONTO FC PRE-SEASON SCHEDULE

-------
February 4-22 Bradenton, Florida (IMG Academies)
Training twice a day, with various games TBD
-------
February 29-March 11 San Antonio, Texas
Training and Game Days March 5, 7 and 9

The 4 team tournament in San Antonio, named The Texas Pro Soccer Festival will feature MLS teams, Chivas USA, D.C. United, and defending MLS Cup Champions, the Houston Dynamo. TFC game days will be as follows: Wednesday March 5th (vs. Chivas, 6pm), Friday March 7th (vs. D.C. United 6pm), and Sunday March 9th (vs. Houston 3:15pm) The games will be held at Steele High School in Cibolo.
-------
March 12-22 Charleston, South Carolina
Training and Game Days March 15, 19, and 22

Toronto FC will compete in the Carolina Challenge Cup, where they finished 2nd last year. Other MLS teams competing in Charleston will be the New York Red Bulls, San Jose Earthquakes, and the host USL Division 1 side Charleston Battery.
-------
The team returns to Toronto March 23 and will continue preparations for the 2008 MLS season at home before departing for their first match of the regular season in Columbus on March 29th.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2008, 16:35
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
What do you know about the new coach?

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2008, 17:57 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Former United coach ready for MLS challenge
by Lee Ryder, Newcastle Evening Chronicle
Feb 13 2008

It can only be described as the challenge of a lifetime.

And when it was dangled in front of former Newcastle United assistant manager John Carver, it didn’t take him long to accept it.

Now, with the prospect of mouth-watering clashes against Los Angeles Galaxy in the US Major League Soccer with David Beckham and his old pal Ruud Gullit, not to mention trips to the Giants Stadium in New Jersey or the RFK Stadium in Washington, it’s easy to see why the new Toronto FC head coach Carver opted to give the American Dream a real crack.

The Geordie’s lifestyle could hardly have changed more in the last few months, as he went from the doom and gloom of administration with League One strugglers Luton Town as No 2 to Kevin Blackwell to a top coaching role with a club bidding to put itself on the football map.

And while Canadian side Toronto FC may not sound like one of football giants, or in the case of Carver’s new role, one of soccer’s giants – their supporters are in fact likened to the fanatical Toon Army after serving up some crackling atmospheres.

The ex-academy director at Newcastle – who nurtured the likes of Steven Taylor, Shola Ameobi and Peter Ramage through the Toon ranks – has also just joined a club whose sparkling new BMO Field Stadium hosts regular full houses of 20,000 in front of the magnificent backdrop of the skyscraper clad Toronto skyline.

Carver told the Chronicle: “This is a really good opportunity for me. There are a lot of good things going on here and I can’t wait to get started.

“It all happened so quickly really but there is a great set-up here. The club is also owned by the same people who own the Toronto Maple Leafs NHL side in the ice hockey and the NBA side the Toronto Raptors.

“But everything is all set up here.

“I went to the Air Canada Centre just a couple of days after taking the job to the see the set up and the Spice Girls were playing that night. The whole place is all set up for the big time.

“Then just a couple of days after that it was off to Florida for a training camp to meet the new players, so it’s been all go.”

Carver – who is joined by former Toon fitness coach Paul Winsper – takes over the reins from former Glasgow Rangers star Mo Johnston, who has now moved upstairs to become the club’s new director of soccer.

Carver added: “I had never met Mo before to be honest. But I knew what he did as a player and once I saw the ambition of TFC I was very impressed.

“Mo isn’t the only face that is familiar, though.

“We’ve got the former Sunderland striker Danny Dichio, who is a real favourite here, and another ex-Sunderland player in Carl Robinson.

“We’ve also got a guy fans back home might know in Jim Brennan, who was at Norwich, who’s also a major player for Canada.”

Dichio, though, is a true legend already for TFC after the former QPR and Sampdoria ace bagged the club’s first ever goal.

Toronto, who finished their maiden season in MLS with the worst record in the League, took 384 minutes to net their first goal.

But when it came in the 24th minute, it secured Dichio’s place in Hogtown folklore.

For on the 24th minute mark of each game TFC fans chant the name of a player who could easily walk the streets of his native Hammersmith unnoticed but is constantly stopped in Toronto for autographs and history.

Speaking on the Toronto fans, Carver says: “A few people have told me that they are like the Newcastle fans and back their team to the hilt, so that’s a really good thing from my point of view.

“Last season was tough for them but I think they have a lot to look forward to this year.”

Carver’s bow as a manager in his own right will come on March 29 when they face Columbus Crew but it is perhaps the third game of the season that JC is most looking forward to against LA Galaxy, bossed by his former mentor Gullit.

Gullit and Carver guided United to Wembley in 1999 and he said: “The third game of the season will see me up against Ruud so it should be interesting.

“Plus there’s also the small matter of David Beckham...”

For Carver, the dream is only just beginning.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2008, 00:13
Star Player

Teams: Hrvatska, Hajduk Split, Toronto FC
- Ronnie O'Brien was traded to San Jose for their first round draft pick in 2009 and allocation money (150-300,000)

- 2009 4th round draft pick was traded to LA Galaxy for Canadian International Kevin Harmse.

About 2,000 fans will be traveling to Columbus for the season opener.

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2008, 23:13
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
I'll be there.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2008, 15:06
Star Player

Teams: Juventus--Toronto FC
i don't quite get the ronnie O trade unless mo has something up his sleeve. because considering how light we are on the depth chart, moving our #1 playmaker makes no sense short-term.

"Control Tevez and they literally become a mid-table side at best" - game_overroma
#yabuddy

VV la Prescrizione!
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2008, 17:52
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinqueDiMaggio View Post
i don't quite get the ronnie O trade unless mo has something up his sleeve. because considering how light we are on the depth chart, moving our #1 playmaker makes no sense short-term.
I hate to say it, but I have a feeling TFC will finish in the same spot as last season. Nothing has yet convinced me otherwise.

Inter Milan - 2010 Treble Winners

Selected Memories - Check out my Photography
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2008, 06:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoors View Post
I hate to say it, but I have a feeling TFC will finish in the same spot as last season. Nothing has yet convinced me otherwise.
That's okay. We have good, young players and will continue to progress. Only 3 key players IMO are near the expiration date, and those are Brennan, Dichio, and C-Rob. Cunny can still provide a spark, and we are covered with youth in other positions. I'm excited about the progression of this team. Of course, adding a good Pork Chop like Joao Pinto would make season ticket holders like me much happier.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2008, 01:13
Rookie

Toronto FC profile

Hello

I have done some work on updating the Toronto FC profile on my website. I would appreciate any kind of feedback - corrections, additions, suggestions, anything.

albionroad.com/club-profiles/toronto-fc.html
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2008, 15:47 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC's colours are actually red, white, and grey.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2008, 16:24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Toronto FC's colours are actually red, white, and grey.
Thanks Jeff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in