CSL - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:12 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Cro NT,Dinamo,Bayern Munich ,Rijeka
CSL

I was just wondering how come nobody talks about our beloved Canadian Soccer League. We have a league that has been around much more than the US MLS.

http://www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/default.asp

I know some of the teams have smaller budgets than the Leafs owned TFC but they still deserve respect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:15
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I honestly never heard of the CSL

I thought most of the candian club played in the usl

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:19 Thread Starter
Premier Player

It use to be called the Canadian Professional Soccer League.

Teams such as Toronto Croatia are over 50 years old, which is the same club that was the NASL Champs in 1976. The great Usebio played for them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:21 Thread Starter
Premier Player

CANADA'S PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE
The Canadian Soccer League (CSL) is Canada’s only professional league and is a continuation of earlier leagues, the National Soccer League, the Canadian National Soccer League and the Canadian Professional Soccer League, going back more than 80 years.

The CSL presently operates teams in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec and has adopted a mandate to expand on a regional basis to other parts of Canada.

The league is headed by a Commissioner, Cary Kaplan, with offices at The Soccer Centre in Vaughan and Mississauga, Ontario.

The CSL operates two divisions – a National Conference of teams in Windsor, St. Catharines, London, Brampton, Oakville, North York and Toronto and the Province of Quebec - and an International Division of teams in the Toronto area which represent their country of origin.

The CSL has a 22-game regular league schedule which runs from mid-May through to the end of September, followed by the playoffs which lead to the Championship Final late October. It also runs an Open Canada Cup from mid-May to Labour Day weekend in September, a competition open to all senior teams in Canada and which is a first step in Canada’s attempt to run a total club championship. Eventually, this competition will be under the auspices of the Canadian Soccer Association and the winner will be Canada’s entry into the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup with club champions from more than 30 countries in North America, Central America and the Caribbean.

The current CSL champions are Italia Shooters which defeated another International Conference team, Serbian White Eagles, 1-0 in the final on October 15, 2006.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2007, 19:07
Ne oprastam
Legend

Teams: Serbia,Red Star
OSL > CSL p

Ој Крајино ноћас си далеко, ал знај добро на те мисли неко!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2007, 19:16 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Milos you little poem touches me, I didnt know you have such fond memories and feeling for my homeland! Who says serbs hate us Croats p who ever says that jebo mu caca mater lol

OSL is a good league also, I played in it for a few years.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2007, 21:15
Ne oprastam
Legend

Teams: Serbia,Red Star
I have great memories of my homeland and I will make many more in the future(hopefully some historic ones too).

Gatusso here Sunday

AC Milan’s Gennaro Gatusso, one of the most colourful, sometimes controversial, players in Europe, will be at a CSL game on Sunday.

The stocky, hard tackling defensive midfielder with more than 50 appearances for Italy, will be at the Italia Shooters vs. Serbian White Eagles clash at The Soccer Centre this Sunday, June 24 shortly after 6 p.m. and in good time for the 7 p.m. CSL league match kickoff.

Gatusso will sign autographs and fans will see the human, gentle side of a player known to for his physical, chippy style, his tendancy to taunt opposing players and strike out if necessary. On one occasion he removed his shorts in post-match celebration when Italy won the World Cup.

But the former player with Perugia, Rangers of Scotland and Salernitana of Italy, was a standout when Italy won the 2006 World Cup and when his team, AC Milan won the Italian Serie A and UEFA Champions League earlier this year.

This clearly is one of those rare occasions for fans in southern Ontario to meet one of the world’s best players and certainly a player who is a celebrity in his own right.

Tickets for Sunday’s game, call 905 564-4660.

Im not really all that into the SWE anymore.They need to start growing some of thier owns players(young Milos Scepanovic is the exeption,he is going to be a star) rather then bringing in and relying on 2nd leaugers from Serbia...

Hamilton Serbians for life.Next year is our 50th anniversary

Ој Крајино ноћас си далеко, ал знај добро на те мисли неко!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:18 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Well you are more then welcome to come back to my peoples country for a visit and yes even to stay.....well just as long as you werent naughty in our little scrimage lol.

As for Gattuso well Im not really a fan of his, no real talent there. There are better players in Seria A then he is. A real cry baby which is weird because he portrays himself as a tough type of player.

I agree with you on bringing in second rate players from abroad. Last year almost the entire SWE team were from abroad and I see Toronto Croatia is doing the same thing, not to the extent as SWE but still they should consentrate on local players.

It was different in the old days when Toronto Metros-Croatia braught over 1st Division players mainly from Dinamo,Hajduk and Rijeka
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2007, 15:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licki Macak
The great Usebio played for them.

EUSEBIO.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2007, 18:10 Thread Starter
Premier Player

My mistake me bad :embarass: Im still getting use to my laptop keys but thats still no excuse
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2007, 17:08
Rising Star

couldn't help but notice that there is a serbian and croatian team in the international division. are there problems on/off the field for these games? did they play during the civil war/break up in the 90s?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2007, 07:50 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Actually eugene there were no problems! Mainly because the serbs really never had a team, their teams mainly played in lower leagues. This Toronto Croatia is basically the same one that were the NASL 1976 Champions.

The serbs just joined the CSL last year, but during the games there is little shouting and flag waving but its nothing serious. Its mainly little kids and punks who really have no clue about our two peoples history. Which at the end of the day makes for some nice atmosphere at games.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2007, 15:37
Rising Star

i remember that team, Toronto Croatia. For the purposes of the telecast of the championship game vs. Minnesota (i think that was the opponent - it would be a good trivia question) the US tv channel CBS called them Toronto Metros-Croatia. TC had Eusebio and another black player whose name i now forget.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2007, 16:36 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Soccer Bowl
"76 August 28 1976 Seattle, WA
Toronto Metros-Croatia 3-0 Minnesota Kicks
CBS

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=6010

The player you might be thinking is Ivaier [sp]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in