The 2007 Toronto FC™ Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 164 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2006, 02:58 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Canada, Ireland, Tottenham Hotspur, FC Brasov
The 2007 Toronto FC™ Thread

I figured it was close enough to January 1st 2007, and time to start a new Toronto FC thread for the new year ahead. I don't post very often in the Canadian forum but am looking to be more active (maybe this should be my new year's resolution?) in the coming year.
Maybe a FM could possibly make it a sticky?

So to everyone here, feel free to take this new thread and run with it.
Although I have (sort of) followed DC United in the past, I have changed my MLS allegiance. From now on it will be:

Forza Toronto FC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 164 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2006, 03:18
IVO
International
World Class Player

I plan on getting the quarter season tickets. It's hard to predict what will happen with the team. There's enough ethnics around to support it as long as the club is smart enough to go after them. Don't bother trying to get new fans, get the people that already like the sport and then go after the new ones.

It'll be hard to get the eurosnobs who will refuse to watch MLS at the beginning. They need to make sure they don't insult these peoples' intelligence by claiming MLS is something that it isn't and by using nfl/nba type of advertising.
post #3 of 164 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2006, 21:08
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça

post #4 of 164 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2007, 15:13
Rising Star

Teams: Seleçao Portuguesa, Benfica & Barça
I think Toronto FC should try to focus on the big ethnic comunities that are here in Toronto that love football already. Finding some Portuguese, Italian and Latin American players would help get some interest from the people who already love the sport here in Toronto.
post #5 of 164 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 01:55 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos6
I think Toronto FC should try to focus on the big ethnic comunities that are here in Toronto that love football already. Finding some Portuguese, Italian and Latin American players would help get some interest from the people who already love the sport here in Toronto.
I agree with that completely.

By the way, what is the roster quota for Canadians vs foreigners/Americans?
post #6 of 164 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 04:19
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth
By the way, what is the roster quota for Canadians vs foreigners/Americans?
From a Canadian Press story October 18:
Quote:
Toronto will get to use four imports, and it will be allowed as many as three Americans on top of that if it so chooses. That means as many as 11 Canadians might be on the 18-man playing roster.
post #7 of 164 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 05:20 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Thanks.
I like the fact it will be a predominantly Canadian team.
post #8 of 164 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 19:53
Rising Star

Teams: Seleçao Portuguesa, Benfica & Barça
Has any one gone by to see the stadium lately? We have had a nice mild winter so that the construction should be up to schedule.
post #9 of 164 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 13:13
IVO
International
World Class Player

I really don't think bringing in ethnic players will help much. Serbs played Italians in Toronto and there was maybe 20,000 people? That game should've been sold out based on the number of Italians alone. Especially when you consider most diaspora have seen little or no NT games because when they go on vacation it's usually in summer when there are no games. Most first generation Canadians end up watching that garbage called NFL.
post #10 of 164 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 23:31
Forum Manager
Star Player

Canadian midfielder Jaime Peters rumoured move to Toronto FC could be one step closer to reality as his career at Ipswich Town could be in doubt due to work permit issues.

The 19-year-old's current permit is up in June and, with the player not currently having established himself in the Ipswich Canadian senior international side, gaining a work permit extension is unlikely.

Ipswich manager Jim Magilton told the club site: "We're aware of the work permit issue with Jaime and we'll just have to see how things go.

"He needs to keep working hard, but we also have Martin Brittain back in the squad now after his loan at Yeovil. He's been playing games and did well there and I want to give him the opportunity to show us what he can do."

Peters has made just seven appearances for the club this season while scoring just one goal. Former Town player and Canadian national team coach Frank Yallop recommended him to Blues.

It's not the first time that Peters has had problems gaining permission to play in the UK. Two years ago, after signing a pre-contract agreement with the Blues, the winger applied for a Commonwealth Working Holiday Visa (WHV).

However, the rules on WHVs were tightened soon after so that from February 8th 2005 holders were only entitled to work for one of their two years in the UK and were specifically banned from employment in professional sport.

This left Peters' application in a grey area, the player having applied in January 2005 for a visa which would not come into effect until his 18th birthday on May 4th that year, after the rule change took place. The club spent some time lobbying the Home Office, however, this ultimately ended in failure and the Blues had to seek another route.

Peters hadn't played the required 75% of international games with Canada over the previous two years and so failed to automatically win a permit on the Highly Skilled Migrant programme.

Peters' Town contract also ends in June this year.

Source
post #11 of 164 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2007, 19:18
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC snaps up first building block

Expansion club picks Edu No. 1 overall, adds two Canadians, one Kiwi to roster

by Peter Mallett
Globe and Mail
Saturday, January 13, 2007

Toronto FC selected one of U.S. college soccer's top stars, Maryland Terrapins midfielder Maurice Edu, as the first-overall pick in Major League Soccer's SuperDraft in Indianapolis, Ind., yesterday.

"He's a very, very good young player," Toronto FC coach Mo Johnston said. "It's a great day for our team, and we're looking forward to seeing him in training camp."

Toronto's No. 1 selection surprised few, as the six-foot, 170-pound Edu had emerged as the National Collegiate Athletic Association's top defensive midfielder over the past few seasons.

"I'm just looking forward to getting out and playing and proving that Toronto did a good job in selecting me," Edu said. "The biggest challenge will be to adjust to the speed of play [in the MLS] and get comfortable with my new teammates in Toronto. Once I do this, my attributes as a player will show."

Leading Maryland to a 2005 national championship, Edu and his Terps were eliminated in the Sweet 16 this past season, but the native of Fontana, Calif., still became an NCAA first team all-star selection and a semi-finalist for college soccer's most valuable player award, the Hermann Trophy.

He is described by observers as a complete two-way player: gifted on the attack with brilliant ball-handling skills as well as being a capable and rugged defender.

Edu surprised many of his Maryland teammates in mid-December by announcing he would forgo his senior season and enter the draft.

"It was the hardest decision of my life," Edu said. "I love everything about the Maryland soccer program. I made friends for life here, and though it was a painful decision, I know that I am ready to accept the challenge of the professional soccer world."

While Toronto FC officials wouldn't speculate on Edu's future salary, one soccer insider said most first-round picks could expect to make between $30,000 (all figures U.S.) and $40,000 a season.

Edu's parents, Molly and Maurice Edu Sr., were in attendance at the Indianapolis Convention Center and embraced their son when league commissioner Don Garber announced Toronto's selection to a national television audience.

The 20-year-old is also a gifted student and promised his parents he will finish his business degree and continue his studies in the off-season.

Maryland head coach Sasho Cirovski, who played and coached in Southern Ontario's semi-professional Canadian Soccer League in the 1980s, spoke glowingly of Edu.

"He is an extremely special young man," Cirovski said. "He has both the physical and mental capabilities to not only become a great professional, but a full member of the U.S. national team in the future."

Toronto FC also made a surprise SuperDraft trade yesterday.

The Los Angeles Galaxy, who the day before had announced the blockbuster $250-million signing of Real Madrid midfielder David Beckham, exchanged their first-round pick with Toronto for player-allocation money.

Toronto then moved to select 6-foot-4, 170-pound New Mexico defender Andrew Boyens, a native of Dunedin, New Zealand, 10th overall. The club's second first-round selection meant Toronto would forgo a second-round pick.

In the third round, Toronto selected another early draft entry, hometown defensive midfielder Richard Asante, a junior from the University of Syracuse, 27th overall.

Born in Ghana but raised in Toronto, the 5-foot-5 Asante graduated from Westview Centennial High School and is a past member of Canada's under-18 and under-20 national teams.

In the fourth and final round, Toronto selected six-foot, 160-pound Newmarket, Ont., forward Jeff Gonsalves of Rhode Island with the 40th overall pick.

Toronto will open its training camp on Feb. 1 at the Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan, Ont., before moving to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Feb. 10.

Club officials say they plan to introduce Edu to the Toronto media at a news conference early next week.
post #12 of 164 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2007, 20:28
Xtratime Legend

Teams: România, Viitorul Constanta
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0.../soc_mls_draft

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
post #13 of 164 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2007, 00:01
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC continued to reap the rewards of David Beckham coming to the MLS via the Los Angeles Galaxy. The expansion team announced Friday it had sold 1,036 season tickets in the wake of the Beckham news, boosting its total to 8,000 at BMO Field, which will accommodate 20,000.

- Canadian Press
post #14 of 164 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2007, 16:55
Premier Player

Teams: Macedonia, Lazio, Valencia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Toronto FC continued to reap the rewards of David Beckham coming to the MLS via the Los Angeles Galaxy. The expansion team announced Friday it had sold 1,036 season tickets in the wake of the Beckham news, boosting its total to 8,000 at BMO Field, which will accommodate 20,000.

- Canadian Press
I feel good about the 1st year but I want to see the support after 5 years. Also, I hope it doesnt take old European players to keep this team going later on.

People that should be in Bardovci before they come back to xtratime
1. Parni Valjak
2. Mihajlovic
3. Ero
4. HajdukSplit
5. Benny
6. lili

MACEDONIA FOR THE MACEDONIANS!!!
post #15 of 164 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2007, 01:09
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC's supplemental draft picks:

Jarrod Smith, a member of the New Zealand U-20 national team

Daryl Roberts, F/MF with Trinidad & Tobago national team

Hunter West, F/MF fom University of South Florida

Tyler Hemming, Canadian, from Hartwick College in Oneonta, N.Y. (NCAA Div. III)
post #16 of 164 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2007, 21:58
Forum Manager
Star Player

How much money can you make playing for Toronto FC?

Unless you're David Beckham, not much.

An article in the Toronto Star about draft pick Richard Asante tells us:
Quote:
He hasn't signed a contract yet and when he does Toronto FC head coach Mo Johnston expects he'll earn about $31,000 (U.S.) a year.

And that's only if he makes the team's 18-man roster. As a rookie, he still might end up on the team's developmental roster, or its reserve team, where the salaries drop to anywhere between $975 and $1,375 a month.
Lucky he still lives with his parents.

If he weren't playing soccer, says Richard, he'd be teaching high school. And he'd be making a lot more money doing it, too.
post #17 of 164 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 22:31
Forum Manager
Star Player

Training Camp dates:

Feb. 12 - 24 in Sunrise, Fla.

Mar. 5 - 17 in Bradenton, Fla.

March 21 - April 1 Carolina Challenge Cup tournament
post #18 of 164 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2007, 00:18
Forum Manager
Star Player

Toronto FC season schedule, 2007

TV coverage: SN = Sportsnet; SCR = The Score; CBC = CBC (natch)

(Home team listed first, as done in Europe, not USA)

Saturday April 7 10:30 p.m. Chivas USA 2-0 Toronto FC [SN]
Saturday April 14 7:30 p.m. New England 4-0 Toronto FC [SCR]
Wednesday April 25 8:00 p.m. Kansas City 3-0 Toronto FC [SCR]
Saturday April 28 12:30 p.m. Toronto FC 0-1 Kansas City [CBC]

Saturday May 12 3:30 p.m. Toronto FC 3-1 Chicago [CBC]
Wednesday May 16 7:00 p.m. Toronto FC 1-0 Houston [SCR]
Saturday May 19 3:30 p.m. Toronto FC 1-2 D.C. [CBC - tape delay]
Saturday May 26 7:30 p.m. Columbus 2-2 Toronto FC [CBC- tape delay]

Saturday June 2 3:30 p.m. Toronto FC 2-1 Colorado [CBC]
Wednesday June 6 7:00 p.m. Toronto FC 1-2 New York [SN]
Sunday June 17 1:00 p.m. Toronto FC 4-0 Dallas [CBC]
Saturday June 23 7:30 p.m. New England 3-0 Toronto FC [SN]

Sunday July 1 8:00 p.m. Kansas City 1-1 Toronto FC [SCR]
Wednesday July 4 10:00 p.m. Salt Lake City 1-2 Toronto FC [SN]
Saturday July 7 8:30 p.m. Chicago 1-1 Toronto FC [SN]
Sunday July 15 8:30 p.m. Houston 0-0 Toronto FC [SCR]
Sunday July 22 5:00 p.m. Columbus 2-0 Toronto FC [SN]
Sunday July 29 3:00 p.m. Toronto FC 0-3 Chicago [CBC]

Sunday August 5 7:00 p.m. Toronto FC 0-0 Los Angeles [CBC]
Saturday August 11 7:30 p.m. New York 3-0 Toronto FC [SCR]
Saturday August 18 3:30 p.m. Toronto FC 0-2 Chivas USA [SN]
Saturday August 25 7:30 p.m. Toronto FC 0-1 D.C. [CBC - tape delay]

Saturday September 8 8:30 p.m. Dallas 2-0 Toronto FC [CBC - tape delay]
Saturday September 15 3:30 p.m. Toronto FC 0-0 Salt Lake City [CBC]
Saturday September 22 3:30 p.m. Toronto FC 1-2 Columbus [CBC]
Saturday September 29 7:30 p.m. D.C. 4-1 Toronto FC [SN]

Thursday October 4 7:00 p.m. Toronto FC 2-1 New York [SCR]
Sunday October 7 8:00 p.m. Colorado 1-0 Toronto FC [SCR]
Saturday October 13 10:30 p.m. Los Angeles 2-1 Toronto FC [CBC - tape delay]
Saturday October 20 12:30 p.m. Toronto FC 2-2 New England [CBC]

Last edited by Jeff; October 21st, 2007 at 18:05.
post #19 of 164 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2007, 19:38
International

Teams: Serbia, Bosnia, Red Star Belgrade, Arsenal
Rumours of Mo Johnston wanting to buy Neil Lennon from Celtic (Glasgow)
post #20 of 164 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2007, 17:46
Premier Player

Teams: Uruguay, Toronto FC, Nacional
Yeah I heard that too.

btw : http://www.torontomls.blogspot.com

to check on the preseason reports of the practices

Uruguay
- 4 Time World Champion (2 World Cups and 2 Olympic/World titles)
- 14 Copa Americas

- World Cup- 2 Fourth Places at (54,70)
- 1 FIFA Gold World title (1980)
- Youth World Cup- 1 Silver Medal (1997) , 1 Bronze Medal (1979)
[/B][/COLOR]
- 8 Copa Libertadores
- 6 World Club Championships

[COLOR="Red"][B]
World Football blog
http://foxfang4.livejournal.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in